Pacific Northwest (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey april...expect to see you on your interview date! I am sure you will rock it

Members don't see this ad.

travel is up to the student.... you want to go to a lot of outside contacts for residency interviews..then you do that..if you want to stay in PNW for residency slots then you do that....the whole idea is...what do you want to do

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone interviewing 9/28 with me?? :)i was also wondering if anyone from the area has insight on the status of the wildfire near Ellensburg...as in do you think it will affect my ability to drive from seattle to yakima?Thanks!

is anyone interviewing 9/28 with me?? :)i was also wondering if anyone from the area has insight on the status of the wildfire near Ellensburg...as in do you think it will affect my ability to drive from seattle to yakima?Thanks!

Completely safe and it shouldn't be a problem. Not so good for people with asthma though...:(

Received a secondary yesterday from PNWU, looking forward to what lies ahead and am thankful to have been screened in favor of PNWU despite hailing from Colorado. Good luck to everyone with interview invites so far. :)

Goodluck on interviews tomorrow!!! Let me know if any of you interviewing would like to get coffee/dinner afterwards to just relax :) & let us know how they go!

Just got an interview invite! Not till jan 11. Do you guys know how quickly the class fills up?

Just got an interview invite! Not till jan 11. Do you guys know how quickly the class fills up?

Received an interview invite today also, and was wondering the same thing. Also, any interview advice would be greatly appreciated!

I see you've come out of hibernation! Congrats on the secondary and I hope it gets you an invite!
Shhhh don't tell too many people :p Yeah but still very limited on time for posting hence I'm mainly posting on schools that I'm applying to. PNWU surprised me with the supplemental this week, LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
First post here, Interviewing on November 30 super excited about the school

Sent from my iPhone

Hey, I just want you guys to know I gave up my interview slot for October 12th after I got in at my top choice (LMU!). Hopefully one of you guys can get bumped up because of it! :luck: Best of luck to the rest of you!

I sent an email choosing my interview date but would it be appropriate to call and say if there are any other dates that open up I would be available to take an earlier date? What is the best way to phrase it?

I sent an email choosing my interview date but would it be appropriate to call and say if there are any other dates that open up I would be available to take an earlier date? What is the best way to phrase it?

They called me and asked me if I would like to have my interview date moved up. Maybe they might call you? Some people drop out so you never know...

So for those that interviewed yesterday, 9/28, how'd it go?!

Anyone know details of how many are interviewed and accepted?

So for those that interviewed yesterday, 9/28, how'd it go?!
I interviewed on 9/28 and thought the day went really well. I think everyone was pretty nervous at first but as soon as they broke us up into groups everyone relaxed and the day went really smoothly. At least that was my experience (feel free to chime in fellow interviewies). The staff and interviewers were all really good about setting you at ease and making you feel a little more relaxed, even during the MMI portion. Overall the experience was really good and I am now anxiously awaiting the results! Good luck to all of those interviewing soon, enjoy the day, it really is quite fun when its all said and done.

I interviewed on 9/28 and thought the day went really well. I think everyone was pretty nervous at first but as soon as they broke us up into groups everyone relaxed and the day went really smoothly. At least that was my experience (feel free to chime in fellow interviewies). The staff and interviewers were all really good about setting you at ease and making you feel a little more relaxed, even during the MMI portion. Overall the experience was really good and I am now anxiously awaiting the results! Good luck to all of those interviewing soon, enjoy the day, it really is quite fun when its all said and done.

Any tips for those of us interviewing soon?? Ive heard that the MMI format is super stressful, and im afraid that my nerves will get a hold of me! :scared:
Im super exicted about it though!! Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with all of the above. fellow interviewers were very friendly, especially when we split up into groups. it was an overall pleasant environment and everyone (staff, interviewers, interviewees) were all very positive ans supportive. I am very impressed with the school. It is EXACTLY where I want to be and the ideal learning environment. I like how they make an effort to make a cohesive student body and encourage them to help one another. We should hear today (if you get a phone call, you're accepted). I am freaking out checking my phone every 30 seconds even though its too early in the day. to those interviewing in the future, just relax and be yourself. they are super friendly and welcoming, so if you come in without being fake or b/s-ing then you will fit in. I actually really enjoyed the MMI format. very cool concept and great situations. it actually felt like a much lower stress level than a regular interview because every 7 mins you get a new situation and new interviewer. plus you get a short reprieve in the middle to collect your thoughts. i also thought it gave a much better picture of my personality, abilities, and my application as a whole. good luck to you all interviewing in the future! i hope this helps.

Any tips for those of us interviewing soon?? Ive heard that the MMI format is super stressful, and im afraid that my nerves will get a hold of me! :scared:
Im super exicted about it though!! Thanks for your feedback!

I interviewed on 09/28 and it was pretty relaxed, it might be because I already knew exactly what to expect. So let me tell you :).

First off, try to stay with a student via their student hosting program. Students host you for like $20 (even though my host didn't charge me anything and she was amazing). This way, you will get to see how they live, study, socialize and mainly who they are as a person because that will be fairly representative of the student body at the school.

Okay, so the day started early. The first thing we do is meet in a room, there were about 30 of us (give or take). We sat through a presentation and then got split into 3 groups of about 9 each. Group 1 went and started the MMI interviews, Group 2 stayed in the room and did team building exercises and Group 3 went on a tour.

MMI:
The MMI was not bad at all, don't let your nerves get the best of you. What you should expect is this. There are 8 mini interviews total. You have 2 minutes to read each question and formulate an answer before you go into the interview room. The interview room will have either one or two interviewers and they will basically ask you what you think about the question. You have 5 minutes with them and then you move on to the next mini interview. You will also have a break station where you just chill for 7 minutes. I personally went and chatted with the person who was overseeing the MMIs. She was very fun to talk to,and she eases the tension I think. Overall, the questions seemed to be mainly focused on presenting you with an ethical situation and asking you what you thought about it. There were also some questions focusing on rural medicine. One of the stations was about your application; if there is something that is flawed in your application (bad grades and things like that) this is where you explain yourself.

I personally loved the MMI format. It was my first and I actually had fun with it. It gives you the best chance, I think, to show your personality and show them that you want to be there. If you think you messed up in one of the interviews, you always have 7 more. Just make sure that you don't run out of things to say in 5 minutes, keep talking...not gibberish, but don't leave some awkward minute of silence, apparently someone in my interview day did that....can't imagine how awkward that must have been. But I personally think that the time flew by and didn't feel like 5 minutes (then again, I am very outgoing and talkative, hence this monster of a reply).

Bottom line. Have fun with it, don't stress. I loved this format much better than group interviews or simple one-on-one or one-on-panel.

Team building:
We built stuff out of blocks in groups of 3. We rated each other and then we wrote an essay for 10 minutes. We also split up into groups of 3 again and brainstormed then presented on the topic of rural medicine.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck and please don't stress out!

Since it is coming up quickly, who all is interviewing on Oct. 12? (see you all then :) )

I interviewed on 09/28 and it was pretty relaxed, it might be because I already knew exactly what to expect. So let me tell you :).

First off, try to stay with a student via their student hosting program. Students host you for like $20 (even though my host didn't charge me anything and she was amazing). This way, you will get to see how they live, study, socialize and mainly who they are as a person because that will be fairly representative of the student body at the school.

Okay, so the day started early. The first thing we do is meet in a room, there were about 30 of us (give or take). We sat through a presentation and then got split into 3 groups of about 9 each. Group 1 went and started the MMI interviews, Group 2 stayed in the room and did team building exercises and Group 3 went on a tour.

MMI:
The MMI was not bad at all, don't let your nerves get the best of you. What you should expect is this. There are 8 mini interviews total. You have 2 minutes to read each question and formulate an answer before you go into the interview room. The interview room will have either one or two interviewers and they will basically ask you what you think about the question. You have 5 minutes with them and then you move on to the next mini interview. You will also have a break station where you just chill for 7 minutes. I personally went and chatted with the person who was overseeing the MMIs. She was very fun to talk to,and she eases the tension I think. Overall, the questions seemed to be mainly focused on presenting you with an ethical situation and asking you what you thought about it. There were also some questions focusing on rural medicine. One of the stations was about your application; if there is something that is flawed in your application (bad grades and things like that) this is where you explain yourself.

I personally loved the MMI format. It was my first and I actually had fun with it. It gives you the best chance, I think, to show your personality and show them that you want to be there. If you think you messed up in one of the interviews, you always have 7 more. Just make sure that you don't run out of things to say in 5 minutes, keep talking...not gibberish, but don't leave some awkward minute of silence, apparently someone in my interview day did that....can't imagine how awkward that must have been. But I personally think that the time flew by and didn't feel like 5 minutes (then again, I am very outgoing and talkative, hence this monster of a reply).

Bottom line. Have fun with it, don't stress. I loved this format much better than group interviews or simple one-on-one or one-on-panel.

Team building:
We built stuff out of blocks in groups of 3. We rated each other and then we wrote an essay for 10 minutes. We also split up into groups of 3 again and brainstormed then presented on the topic of rural medicine.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck and please don't stress out!

Wow! Thank you sooo much for the feedback. This definately gets me less stressed out!! Im glad you had fun with the MMIs, as this stresses me out the most! lol

Just one quick question... Do you get a notepad or piece of paper to brainstorm on while you read the topic for two minutes. Although I do not think it would be necessary, it think it may help me organize my thoughts!

Once again, thanks so much! :) Goodluck with your acceptance!!!

Received an interview invite today also, and was wondering the same thing. Also, any interview advice would be greatly appreciated!

I went to a recruiting event today and was told that come December only about half the class will be filled.

I'll be interviewing on the 12th with you!!

sweet! I am really interested in this school and love the fact that they have a quick response letting interviewees know if they are in or not

MMI:

Team building:

Wow, that actually sounds like a pretty involved interview day. Rating each other? Essay writing? I'm not really looking forward to this.

Also, just out of curiosity, didn't they make you sign a confidentiality agreement about the MMI? Just curious since most schools that I've interviewed at are strict about not sharing what goes on during their MMI.

Wow, that actually sounds like a pretty involved interview day. Rating each other? Essay writing? I'm not really looking forward to this.

Also, just out of curiosity, didn't they make you sign a confidentiality agreement about the MMI? Just curious since most schools that I've interviewed at are strict about not sharing what goes on during their MMI.

Even if people did share questions they have a pool of over 100 questions that they randomly select questions for that interview day from so odds are we wouldn't get the same questions anyway

Hey all,

On September 18,2012 I received an invite for the secondary/supplemental application to PNWU-COM, but today (October 5, 2012) I got an email from the same person (Hope Ennis) that says I wasn't selected for a supplemental application. I haven't submitted it yet, but I was hoping to in the next few days. Any idea as to what this means?

DefiantDoctor

Withdrew my application. There should be an interview spot open now for 10/26. Good luck everyone!

Hey all,

On September 18,2012 I received an invite for the secondary/supplemental application to PNWU-COM, but today (October 5, 2012) I got an email from the same person (Hope Ennis) that says I wasn't selected for a supplemental application. I haven't submitted it yet, but I was hoping to in the next few days. Any idea as to what this means?

DefiantDoctor
I wish I had received the same email. I ended up submitting my supplemental only to find out that two days later I was rejected pre-supplemental.

I wish I had received the same email. I ended up submitting my supplemental only to find out that two days later I was rejected pre-supplemental.

Did you get refunded your secondary fee?

If you do not mind me asking, what were your stats?

From dermpathdoc, "ex military get an extra look"....

If you do not mind me asking, what were your stats?

From dermpathdoc, "ex military get an extra look"....
Ok, I am thoroughly and utterly confused. I checked last night and my status said Deny Pre-Supplemental. I check tonight and it states No Decision. Com'on PNWU let's make a decision here, I'm either in or out. LOL :laugh: In regards to the previous question my stats aren't extremely stellar except for my experience ringing in at 25,000 hours and my remote duty medic experience in Iraq (contractor, not military which actually allowed me to practice at a higher level but that's a better discussion held over beers)

Wow. Thats messed up. How much is it now?
It's $85.

Sylvanthus I'm sure you're rolling by now, I swear man this is f'd up somehow because now it looks like they're still evaluating me.....

Ok, I am thoroughly and utterly confused. I checked last night and my status said Deny Pre-Supplemental. I check tonight and it states No Decision. Com'on PNWU let's make a decision here, I'm either in or out. LOL :laugh: In regards to the previous question my stats aren't extremely stellar except for my experience ringing in at 25,000 hours and my remote duty medic experience in Iraq (contractor, not military which actually allowed me to practice at a higher level but that's a better discussion held over beers)

Maybe it just a system error; I would not give up on PNWU and email Hope to get a direct answer.

Where can you check your status without submitting the secondary? and I'm sorry they're putting you through all of this..that sucks man :/

Where can you check your status without submitting the secondary? and I'm sorry they're putting you through all of this..that sucks man :/
So, PNWU is somewhat unique in that they want you to submit your supplemental application prior to issuing you access to the portal. Once you submit your supplemental they should give you access to the portal where you can monitor your status through the application cycle. I was alarmed because I paid my $85 supplemental fee (the highest I'll pay this year in comparison to other programs) and then a few days later they gave me access to the portal which is when the whole mess started with my status. Hope this helps. Good luck!

So, PNWU is somewhat unique in that they want you to submit your supplemental application prior to issuing you access to the portal. Once you submit your supplemental they should give you access to the portal where you can monitor your status through the application cycle. I was alarmed because I paid my $85 supplemental fee (the highest I'll pay this year in comparison to other programs) and then a few days later they gave me access to the portal which is when the whole mess started with my status. Hope this helps. Good luck!

This does help! And I thoroughly encourage you to call them! Frankly, I never had any indication this would happen. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got the secondary (I'm a grad student now so have been busy with school and research), so I'm not sure why all of a sudden I got an email saying I wasn't selected for one. This is rather weird.

When in doubt - call the school. There have been portal issues in the previous years as well. If you were granted a secondary application, paid the fee, then two days later denied pre-supplemental application - I'm sure they would refund your money or correct the portal to accurately reflect that you are up for committee review. Long story short, if this were me - I'd certainly make the quick phone call and resolve any confusion/inaccuracies. Good luck!!

Just cancelled my 11/9 interview if anyone wants to try to move up their date.

I called and moved my interview date. They were absolutely great and Hope sounded lovely she was very helpful. My new date is November 9.. Anyone else interviewing on that day?

I called and moved my interview date. They were absolutely great and Hope sounded lovely she was very helpful. My new date is November 9.. Anyone else interviewing on that day?

Did they say if any earlier dates were available? I think the date before the 9th is October 26th.

meeee :)