Pacific Northwest (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Before I had a chance to call Hope today I got an email with interview invite for March 29, 2013.

Considering I was complete 10/9/12, isn't it unusual that I have such a late interview?
Does this mean I don't have very high priority at this school?

I had thought the same thing, but then I learned they usually only have two interviews a month so March isn't too far out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know about how many students are interviewed at a time?
And, how far out interviews are held? I know that they accept secondaries until march, so does that mean that they probably hold interviews into May?

Also, if we are scheduled way out for an interview, is there anyway to move up if there are cancellations?

Anyone know?

No not necessarily! I know they were booking interviews far in advance a couple months ago.

If it's any consolation - of the 40 folks at my interview - I only know of 3 so far that have mentioned they got in from my interview date. It's all about who you are (what your goals are as a physician) and if PNWU is a good fit for you.

Some schools are pretty selective with specific criteria in addition to academics; it's my belief that PNWU is one of those schools. One of the smallest medical schools by enrollment number in the country - and still potentially have spots available near the end of the interview cycle.

This is my opinion though - dont have concrete statistics.

Gl - it's a great school!

Then you start school and get to know your classmates. Soon you begin to wonder about that "specific criteria". Next you realize that you also fit into that "specific criteria" and begin to examine yourself and think, "Could I really have what they all have?!?" Then you get ill feeling, play halo, have some beer, and bury your feelings. :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had thought the same thing, but then I learned they usually only have two interviews a month so March isn't too far out there.

Yep, not unusual at all. I got my offer in mid Oct. and my earliest date was Feb. 9.

Do you guys know about how many students are interviewed at a time?
And, how far out interviews are held? I know that they accept secondaries until march, so does that mean that they probably hold interviews into May?

Also, if we are scheduled way out for an interview, is there anyway to move up if there are cancellations?

Anyone know?

When I got my ii I was given February as the earliest I could interview. I saw someone post on here that they cancelled and I called Hope and she hooked me up with the 16th of November. I think if you just call and talk to her and let her know you're interested in an earlier date, if one comes open she'll work with you. So long story short...if there are spots open you can move up.

It's March 8th. I'll make the most of it. Congratulations my fellow pre-med brethren who have made it this far. Keep pushing forward!! Keep driving onward. The journey is going to become fantastic. If any of you are having technical difficulties just email or call Hope. She is very good and very responsive on getting things corrected!! Take care!!

Just sent an email to cancel my interview for November 16 because I got accepted yesterday to ATSU-SOMA (my top choice). PNWU seems like a great school too, good luck to everybody!

First post- I'm from the east coast and have an interview scheduled for Nov. I assume the school looks for more qualities in an applicant than just their geographical location. I am very excited as this is my first interview and the school/area seems beautiful. Congrats to all that got in hopefully will be joining you!!

I have heard Yakima called many things, but never beautiful

lol I think it's pretty. It's a different kind of nice in a hilly, orangey-rust colored, and shrubby sort of way compared to the green you see in Portland and Seattle. The place holds a closer resemblance to Eastern Oregon for me. But it's based off my impression when I went to interview on Fri. :9

I don't know about Yakima specifically, but Washington state is beautiful.

As songsparrow alluded to, it has that reputation because of the western side of the state (forests, mountains, puget sound, the ocean, etc.). Eastern Washington, Yakima included, is very different. The political affiliation, industry, and culture of the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As songsparrow alluded to, it has that reputation because of the western side of the state (forests, mountains, puget sound, the ocean, etc.). Eastern Washington, Yakima included, is very different. The political affiliation, industry, and culture of the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum as well.

+1

I spent my formative years in Spokane

Calls are supposed to go out today for those of us who interviewed Friday...

I imagine it's the Portland regional site that may be closing. However, it has only been rumored so it's speculation at this point. I have heard of no other sites getting the axe.

Checked the website, but slipped my mind to check CIB. "Applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold
a permanent resident visa." Therefore, they should theoretically take Canadian applicants, but there's a diff between being able to take them and actually taking them haha.

I'd say WA has a lot of Canadian ties so it's worth a shot.

Checked the website, but slipped my mind to check CIB. "Applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold
a permanent resident visa." Therefore, they should theoretically take Canadian applicants, but there's a diff between being able to take them and actually taking them haha.

The wording indicates they wont take Canadian citizens unless they have a green card. Permanent resident visa = Green card

Yah, you're right. It says "international students not considered"

Yah, you're right. It says "international students not considered"

From my research i've found that the Canadian friendly schools to be (in no particular order):

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO

Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

I also heard that a canadian got accepted to UNECOM this year but not sure the accuracy of that or if they were dual citizen. I'm canadian and got 4 interviews so far and wasnt complete at most schools until late october.

Accepted!! Keep pushing through everyone. If I could do it, anyone can :) be completely honest at the interview and show who you are. Remember, if you get an interview, they already see you as being successful. It's jut a matter of if you fit into the school. Good luck everyone!!

Accepted!! Keep pushing through everyone. If I could do it, anyone can :) be completely honest at the interview and show who you are. Remember, if you get an interview, they already see you as being successful. It's jut a matter of if you fit into the school. Good luck everyone!!

Congrats Doctor2be17! I also was accepted!! SUPER excited :) are you going to be attending??
goodluck everyone! The students and the faculty are absolutely amazing and sooo nice! great interview experience!

^Yes. Definitely good advice. And if you have a bit of time at the end of your response for the MMI, don't be afraid to ask questions and just get to know your interviewer a little better. They are awesome people to talk to. It makes the MMIs that much more enjoyable!

And congrats Doctor2be17 & missdoctor8! I've been accepted as well, and I'm super excited~

Agree above! I chatted with a few interviews and during my rotation off I talked with Hope and Leanne. I enjoyed the mmi a lot!

Is there a Facebook group started for class of 2017 yet?

Long time troll, first time poster. Interviewed on Friday and got an acceptance call last night!!! :laugh:The school did a great job of easing the tension and I really liked the format. I was the last group to interview but having the tour and team building exercise first jelled calm my nerves a lot. I agree with what people have said about trying to talk the whole 5 minutes during the mmis and I found that the interviewers made this really easy by asking random questions about me and giving me the opportunity to ask them questions as well. Have fun with the interview and be yourself! Good luck!!!!!

Congratulations missdoctor8, SongSparrow, Doctor2be17, and Maester aemon!! Welcome to the class of 2017!!

The facebook class still needs to be created as far as I know. I'll look into creating it possibly this next weekend if nobody else has done it yet.

When will you make a decision as to matriculating at PNWU? :thumbup:

I'm interviewing on Friday! Yikes....

Any last minute suggestions/what kind of questions did you guys ask them?

Congratulations missdoctor8, SongSparrow, Doctor2be17, and Maester aemon!! Welcome to the class of 2017!!

The facebook class still needs to be created as far as I know. I'll look into creating it possibly this next weekend if nobody else has done it yet.

When will you make a decision as to matriculating at PNWU? :thumbup:

I think my decision has been made!! ( as scary/exciting as that sounds ) I'm very excited and can't wait to meet the Class of 2017!!! Let's create a FB :)

When you guys get to 3rd year make sure you go to a large core site. The school focuses all their effort on these sites and nearly completely ignores the smaller sites. For instance, someone from the school goes to mt vernon nearly on a monthly basis while my site never had a person show up from the school. Be wary of where you end up 3rd year. There is a dramatic difference between sites.

Right now PNWU is my number one (because I dropped my other acceptance).

@sylvanthus - Mike Riggin said that there were no sites closing, and Portland especially is stable. What are your comments based on? A lot of my info is from this site but I have been emailing with the staff to double check.

@sylvanthus - Mike Riggin said that there were no sites closing, and Portland especially is stable. What are your comments based on? A lot of my info is from this site but I have been emailing with the staff to double check.

My regional dean told my fellow student here that our site was being closed. I kinda doubt he was incorrect.

I'm going to withdraw my Feb. 8th interview date by e-mail today if anyone wants it.

I think Portland is going to stick around a while. At least I haven't heard otherwise. However, lets be very clear about Portland. The rotation site is spread to a 90min driving radius. It is near impossible to do that rotation without a substantial driving bill. I have two of my core rotations in "Portland" and those are scheduled in North Portland and McMinnville. I had another on the coast which I was responsible for the housing bill on that one (an extra $700). If you have the ability and the "preference points" stick to the big sites. I do like the rotation site because I am home with family which was the biggest reason for choosing it.

Glad to meet you too! Hope you were accepted!

Last edited:
Was very nice to meet some of you at the interview today! Finally got to meet DermpathDoc during one of ope yomy MMIs :) The staff at the University were great - most comfortable interview I've ever had.

GL to everyone for next Tuesday!!:thumbup:

Glad to meet you too! Hope you were accepted!

umm but the mountains and parks are so close by! and seattle is only 2 and half hours away. Besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Just saying!

Interview invite!!! So totally stoked! I would love to attend this school!!! :banana:

Just got the call! Accepted for 2017!:soexcited:

Interviewed 11/16

Congrats!! I just saw that I got waitlisted...do you remember if they said how many they waitlist?

I don't but they did say even if you get waitlisted then it's a good sign because of the [potential] class increase in January. I think you can definately get excited about this.:thumbup: