RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had half a dozen people ask me about that stupid scare tactic video on FB about vaccinating pets. It makes my blood boil because it spreads fear and creates distrust in veterinarians that recommend regular vaccination.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I've had half a dozen people ask me about that stupid scare tactic video on FB about vaccinating pets. It makes my blood boil because it spreads fear and creates distrust in veterinarians that recommend regular vaccination.
Same. Saw some good responses on the vet-to-vet FB page in the case that a client asks you about it. I'm just hoping that I won't really have to deal with it a ton. I don't think I'll ever be in a GP setting again, so that'll cut down on it a little bit... maybe...

After a solid week of furiously searching, both of my roommates dropped a bomb on me last night and said they're going to get their own places (one because her bf is moving back to town, the other because she wants a dog and the last dog she got was NOT cat friendly). Gahhhh.

I guess I'm getting a one bed. I could definitely go in blind and find another place next year, but that's difficult to do with four animals. These one bedroom apartments are so flippin' expensive though.

On top of this, I have my cumulative (on the last two years of vet school) exam and clinical skills exam next week :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. Saw some good responses on the vet-to-vet FB page in the case that a client asks you about it. I'm just hoping that I won't really have to deal with it a ton. I don't think I'll ever be in a GP setting again, so that'll cut down on it a little bit... maybe...
I've always wanted to do GP. I'm bracing myself to answer silly questions forever lol. (Some I don't mind because they honestly don't know and that's totally fair. Some I definitely roll my eyes at)

Reactions: 1 user
I've always wanted to do GP. I'm bracing myself to answer silly questions forever lol. (Some I don't mind because they honestly don't know and that's totally fair. Some I definitely roll my eyes at)

Everyday that I work, I realize more and more that the general public is quite stupid. When you have to explain how sex works and how animals produce their own milk to people who have children.... I cringe for the future of this world.

Everyday that I work, I realize more and more that the general public is quite stupid. When you have to explain how sex works and how animals produce their own milk to people who have children.... I cringe for the future of this world.
We have an interprofessional education the first two years at Western. The vet's involvement is usually a little... far-fetched, but you end up with some great quotes from the human side. Some include "Cats can get diabetes too?! And they get a diabetic neuropathy? What do you treat their diabetes with? Insulin?!" I also got the privilege of shattering illusions about what happens to little calves so that you can end up with milk in the grocery store. Nope, we don't just share with those cute guys. Probably the most uncomfortable IPE session is the one where we had to talk about euthanasia as well as "dying with dignity" for humans. Everyone in my group, as well as the faculty facilitator got to talk about what a monster vets were for euthanizing something and how it should never be allowable for humans.

We have an interprofessional education the first two years at Western. The vet's involvement is usually a little... far-fetched, but you end up with some great quotes from the human side. Some include "Cats can get diabetes too?! And they get a diabetic neuropathy? What do you treat their diabetes with? Insulin?!" I also got the privilege of shattering illusions about what happens to little calves so that you can end up with milk in the grocery store. Nope, we don't just share with those cute guys. Probably the most uncomfortable IPE session is the one where we had to talk about euthanasia as well as "dying with dignity" for humans. Everyone in my group, as well as the faculty facilitator got to talk about what a monster vets were for euthanizing something and how it should never be allowable for humans.
Like, you guys HAD to argue it? Get perspective from the other side?

Otherwise I'm kind of appalled

Everyone in my group, as well as the faculty facilitator got to talk about what a monster vets were for euthanizing something and how it should never be allowable for humans.

Seriously. If I'm ever at a point in life where I know I'm dying... I'm moving somewhere where assisted suicide is allowed so I don't have to suffer a horrible death.

Reactions: 10 users
My grandfather passed away last night. He lived in Germany. I am Philly making a connecting flight to go to Western Vet Conference for 1 week. My Mom, Dad, and 2 sisters are flying to Germany on Monday night. I don't know what to do. My employer has paid for this trip, and I need the CE. I could do a different conference later, but I've used up the majority of my CE allowance on this trip. And flights to Germany are >$1500 with a 1 night layover in some random country, and I will likely be alone. I don't think I would feel safe. I have the money is savings to cover the trip, but fiance and I were saving that for when we will both be unemployed when we move for his residency, as well as a down payment on a house. And airlines don't offer bereavement fairs anymore. I really don't know what to do. I am going to call my boss on Monday and talk to her, see if she is okay with me leaving the conference early. :(..

My grandfather passed away last night. He lived in Germany. I am Philly making a connecting flight to go to Western Vet Conference for 1 week. My Mom, Dad, and 2 sisters are flying to Germany on Monday night. I don't know what to do. My employer has paid for this trip, and I need the CE. I could do a different conference later, but I've used up the majority of my CE allowance on this trip. And flights to Germany are >$1500 with a 1 night layover in some random country, and I will likely be alone. I don't think I would feel safe. I have the money is savings to cover the trip, but fiance and I were saving that for when we will both be unemployed when we move for his residency, as well as a down payment on a house. And airlines don't offer bereavement fairs anymore. I really don't know what to do. I am going to call my boss on Monday and talk to her, see if she is okay with me leaving the conference early. :(..

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Some airlines do still offer bereavement fares -- I got one one JetBlue last summer and I know some friends who have also gotten them -- but I think you have to call them vs. booking online.

I hope your boss is ok with you leaving the conference early. Maybe if she approves it, then check with the airlines about availability and cost and then go from there?

Like, you guys HAD to argue it? Get perspective from the other side?

Otherwise I'm kind of appalled
We didn't have to necessarily argue it... we were supposed to explain the veterinary side of the issue. That's the point of the class, to explain your profession's perspective and role in a given situation. Usually it was a case scenario where like the kid went to a party, got a virus, got Guillan-Barre oh and by the way he has a corgi with IVDD and he tries to ride it by sitting on its back. That was how that threw the vet students a bone. But for the euthanasia talk it was basically explained to us (the vet students) as the fact that we had more experience and exposure to euthanasia and the good it did, than the human physician students. So, we were supposed to enlighten them, I guess. I didn't do much enlightening because I was basically talked down to and told I was awful for a couple hours.

We didn't have to necessarily argue it... we were supposed to explain the veterinary side of the issue. That's the point of the class, to explain your profession's perspective and role in a given situation. Usually it was a case scenario where like the kid went to a party, got a virus, got Guillan-Barre oh and by the way he has a corgi with IVDD and he tries to ride it by sitting on its back. That was how that threw the vet students a bone. But for the euthanasia talk it was basically explained to us (the vet students) as the fact that we had more experience and exposure to euthanasia and the good it did, than the human physician students. So, we were supposed to enlighten them, I guess. I didn't do much enlightening because I was basically talked down to and told I was awful for a couple hours.
I guess I'm just misunderstanding the part about vets being monsters?

I guess I'm just misunderstanding the part about vets being monsters?
Oh, that. Yeah, so everyone in my group was really anti-euthanasia, for humans and for domestic animals. What I meant was I got to sit there quietly while everyone else in the group got to tell me how awful euthanasia was and, as a consequence, how awful I was. There wasn't really a lot of learning or sharing in that session, and I don't think that a first year vet student should have been in the position to try to educate all these other professions about euthanasia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that. Yeah, so everyone in my group was really anti-euthanasia, for humans and for domestic animals. What I meant was I got to sit there quietly while everyone else in the group got to tell me how awful euthanasia was and, as a consequence, how awful I was. There wasn't really a lot of learning or sharing in that session, and I don't think that a first year vet student should have been in the position to try to educate all these other professions about euthanasia.
Well. I think that whole group is a bunch of idiots then.

So these are the wonderful people whose pets we will get to watch die slow and horrible deaths.

I'm hoping it is more lack of experience of our human med counterparts....at least during the schooling phase. Most veterinary students have worked or observed in clinics and have seen death, both euthanasia and the slow, horrible death of a natural death. Only a few of our human med school students will have witnessed patients slowly going downhill and to death. So maybe once they see that a natural death really isn't all that awesome, they'll change their minds.

Reactions: 4 users

That's kind of an ambush.

A few years ago I was involved in a volunteer program where I advised groups of undergrads doing projects in other states over spring break. One of the trips was to a private, no-kill shelter in Atlanta. Most of the students were non-animal, non pre-vet people so there were some interesting conversations during our nightly reflections. It's always kind of interesting to see inside the heads of people who aren't in animal/veterinary professions.

My favorite quote was, "Everyone should have to adopt an animal from a shelter so there won't be homeless animals anymore."

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone in my group, as well as the faculty facilitator got to talk about what a monster vets were for euthanizing something and how it should never be allowable for humans.
@Rwwilliams, this gets me ramped up because (imho) the act of euthanizing a dying pet, or a hopelessly suffering pet, is a sensitive and compassionate act, filled with respect, kindness, care and dignity. As far as I'm concerned, it is a "compassionate good-bye."

Of course, that's simply my personal opinion; and I know that others may not share a similar opinion. If it's any consolation, many of my colleagues feel the same way that I do. Seriously, we "get it."

Last edited:
I think @JaynaAli was actually there for this conversation, but we had a dachshund come in for an emergency c-section and the owners were sure there was only 1 puppy. She had 2. They were very confused because they were sure she had only been mated 1 time. She wasn't a slut like those Labradors that had 8 puppies at a time! :rofl:

I also got the privilege of shattering illusions about what happens to little calves so that you can end up with milk in the grocery store. Nope, we don't just share with those cute guys.
Hey, some of us small farms milk share! I am sharing 2 does with these 6 monsters right now! (I am very aware of what the normal procedure is as I spent years with a very repro and lactation focused career path and a ton of certifications and awards in dairy repro and management and consulting, just gotta get my digs in!:poke::))
2017-03-04 21.56.15.jpg

I think @JaynaAli was actually there for this conversation, but we had a dachshund come in for an emergency c-section and the owners were sure there was only 1 puppy. She had 2. They were very confused because they were sure she had only been mated 1 time. She wasn't a slut like those Labradors that had 8 puppies at a time! :rofl:

I remember hearing about that, but I definitely wasn't the doctor with that conversation. It was Dr. B on one of her solo overnights...I was definitely called in at 530 am to be on puppy recovery duty for that case. I don't remember it being a dachshund though...I think it was a mini schnauzer bred by a lab :smack:? Whatever it was, it was a little mom dog and no way were those puppies passing.

I remember hearing about that, but I definitely wasn't the doctor with that conversation. It was Dr. B on one of her solo overnights...I was definitely called in at 530 am to be on puppy recovery duty for that case. I don't remember it being a dachshund though...I think it was a mini schnauzer bred by a lab :smack:. No way were those puppies passing.
Oh, I thought they were dachshund/schnauzer cross pups. That makes more sense as to why the c-section and fits my memory of the pups a bit better. I got called in too, but didn't get the message until 6 am or so and I can't remember if I was working late the night before or in the human ER with the kid... either way, I remember not getting much sleep and the world being a haze...

I can understand the not wanting to euthanize an animal/human yourself. However, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone with experience in at least the veterinary profession (I have no human experience so no comment) can have an issue with the fundamental idea of euthanasia. A horrible quality of life with a horrible death is not worth a small bit of increased quantity.

For myself when I get old (assuming I get to be old, anyway) I would like to let myself go before quality of life starts to significantly deteriote. Obviously depends on my feelings/situation then, but I hope doctor assisted suicide is an option wherever I am.

Somehow managed to catch a really bad virus the weekend I go home to visit. Almost had to go to the hospital yesterday. Luckily it's gotten a little better. Just dehydrated and weak now. This year has not been good for my health so far.

When it's the week before spring break and you have 3 practicals on consecutive days, then 2-3 exams crammed in on friday....AND on top of that your group's on kennel duty because of course it is. Never ever ever fails, my group's turns always happen to fall on the crappy multi-exam weeks like this (even the other groups have noticed...)

:bang:Dreaded waking up this morning because it's one step closer to tomorrow. Week hasn't even started and I'm tired just thinking about it :grumpy:

Reactions: 1 users
I bought 2 cases of potato chips for a party outdoors this afternoon. Each case holds 50 individual bags of potato chips ... you know ... small bags of chips you carry around in one hand, and munch on at your leisure.

However, my cat HAD to find out what was inside the two boxes! She couldn't show some restraint and mind her own business.

So while I was at the gym, my cat clawed open both cases, scattering bits of shredded cardboard everywhere, then burrowed inside both boxes, and crushed most of the small bags of potato chips.

Of course, when I returned home, my cat acted as if nothing had happened - who me? - don't know anything about those chips.

There is no way I can show up at the party with these bags of smashed potato chips. I opened one of the bags and the chips were crushed. So now, I'm back to square one and thinking I should go to a donut shop and bring donuts to the party instead.

Reactions: 14 users
I bought 2 cases of potato chips for a party outdoors this afternoon. Each case holds 50 individual bags of potato chips ... you know ... small bags of chips you carry around in one hand, and munch on at your leisure.

However, my cat HAD to find out what was inside the two boxes! She couldn't show some restraint and mind her own business.

So while I was at the gym, my cat clawed open both cases, scattering bits of shredded cardboard everywhere, then burrowed inside both boxes, and crushed most of the small bags of potato chips.

Of course, when I returned home, my cat acted as if nothing had happened - who me? - don't know anything about those chips.

There is no way I can show up at the party with these bags of smashed potato chips. I opened one of the bags and the chips were crushed. So now, I'm back to square one and thinking I should go to a donut shop and bring donuts to the party instead.
Grab donuts too, but just print out a little description of what exactly happened to the chips to attach to the container. I'd get a kick out of it. :p

Reactions: 11 users
I just went through my schedule from now until the end of the semester and apparently I am going to experience no free time or joy from now literally until I'm getting on the plane to go home for break. SO many exams, labs, and practicals in the month of March and then suddenly I'm in April and BOOM finals.

I just went through my schedule from now until the end of the semester and apparently I am going to experience no free time or joy from now literally until I'm getting on the plane to go home for break. SO many exams, labs, and practicals in the month of March and then suddenly I'm in April and BOOM finals.
This speaks to me on a spiritual level. My March is booked solid with tests, papers, and projects and my April looks free and amazing until you realize finals are right behind it

And then 4th year?

And then 4th year?
Well no... then 7th semester which is like baby 4th year for us down here (rotations, appointments, surgeries, plus classes) and THEN 4th year/clinics. But clinics means I am back in America forever so that's more of a rave than a rant :D

This speaks to me on a spiritual level. My March is booked solid with tests, papers, and projects and my April looks free and amazing until you realize finals are right behind it
March is bad, very very bad. And then finals in the 2nd and 3rd week of April basically which means all of April is for studying til I die. And then almost 3 weeks of America and happiness and then back at it again May 8th.... I'll be starting my next semester before most of yall even get to start suffering finals :p

Reactions: 3 users
@Rwwilliams, this gets me ramped up because (imho) the act of euthanizing a dying pet, or a hopelessly suffering pet, is a sensitive and compassionate act, filled with respect, kindness, care and dignity. As far as I'm concerned, it is a "compassionate good-bye."

Of course, that's simply my personal opinion; and I know that others may not share a similar opinion. If it's any consolation, many of my colleagues feel the same way that I do. Seriously, we "get it."
I agree 100%. It's certainly not my favourite thing to do, but I consider it to be an incredibly compassionate act that I can help owners come to terms with.

I can understand the not wanting to euthanize an animal/human yourself. However, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone with experience in at least the veterinary profession (I have no human experience so no comment) can have an issue with the fundamental idea of euthanasia. A horrible quality of life with a horrible death is not worth a small bit of increased quantity.

For myself when I get old (assuming I get to be old, anyway) I would like to let myself go before quality of life starts to significantly deteriote. Obviously depends on my feelings/situation then, but I hope doctor assisted suicide is an option wherever I am.
Funnily enough, we have a professor at my school who insists that he has never euthanized anything in his entire life and never will and he does not agree with it. It's interesting to listen to him speak.

Euthanasia can be such a blessing. When my cat got sick in January, saying goodbye was the hardest thing I've ever done but it was also the easiest decision (if that makes sense) because I knew there was no way to make her comfortable. I'm so glad we were able to end her suffering and spare her any more hurt. Her illness was really sudden. If it had been a more gradual decline, it would have been more difficult to identify when to say goodbye. Not every case will be as obvious as hers was, which makes it hard. No one wants to 'rob' their pet of more good days/weeks and feel that they chose euthanasia too soon.

I just checked my student loans and broke out into a cold sweat. I could really use a reminder of why I decided to do this, especially doing this OOS. If the loan forgiveness option is taken away, I may have to fake my own death :p

I just checked my student loans and broke out into a cold sweat. I could really use a reminder of why I decided to do this, especially doing this OOS. If the loan forgiveness option is taken away, I may have to fake my own death :p

We have our financial aid/payment plans talk tomorrow. Gonna be a reeeeally depressing three hours.

We have our financial aid/payment plans talk tomorrow. Gonna be a reeeeally depressing three hours.
My favorite part is that I tried to vent to my mom and I got "Don't worry about that" as a reply. o_O

Reactions: 2 users
My favorite part is that I tried to vent to my mom and I got "Don't worry about that" as a reply. o_O

OMG! My mother says the same thing and is so frustrating! I have to and need to worry about this! ..... Unless there is some money somewhere that I don't know about???

Once I was venting about this to my wealthy (human doctor) aunt who has no kids.... I wasn't even fishing and she sent me money out of the blue after that to apply to my loans. (yes it was technically less than 1% of what my total loans will end up being from vet school but it still made my heart go pitter patter seeing that number actually decrease for once!) Moral of the story: keep venting maybe someone will give you money presents haha

Reactions: 6 users
OMG! My mother says the same thing and is so frustrating! I have to and need to worry about this! ..... Unless there is some money somewhere that I don't know about???
Exactly what I thought too!! :rofl: The way she says it makes me feel like she knows something I don't. In the off chance that this is actually the case, I think I might be more mad that some pile of money was hidden from me while I stressed for four years
Once I was venting about this to my wealthy (human doctor) aunt who has no kids.... I wasn't even fishing and she sent me money out of the blue after that to apply to my loans. (yes it was technically less than 1% of what my total loans will end up being from vet school but it still made my heart go pitter patter seeing that number actually decrease for once!) Moral of the story: keep venting maybe someone will give you money presents haha
I've wanted to contact Taylor Swift about it since she paid off some girl's undergrad loans once...

Three hours? What happens if you skip it? I wouldn't go unless I absolutely had to.

It's part of our "Veterinary Professional Development" course, so they claim attendance is mandatory. However we are allowed 2 unexcused absences from the course, but I'm just going to go. I'm sure I'll be listening 2% of the time and catching pokemon 98% of the time anyway.

Funnily enough, we have a professor at my school who insists that he has never euthanized anything in his entire life and never will and he does not agree with it. It's interesting to listen to him speak.
Is he a practicing DVM or a practicing MD? (Please note: my comments are not intended to be disrespectful, critical or unkind at all because that is not my intention). It sounds as if he might not have much real-life experience with real-time patients?

Grab donuts too, but just print out a little description of what exactly happened to the chips to attach to the container. I'd get a kick out of it. :p
I brought 4-dozen donuts to the party instead. I left the bags of crushed chips out for the human medical students (because they'll eat nearly anything that's marked as "free" during their rotations).

Reactions: 15 users
I left the bags of crushed chips out for the human medical students (because they'll eat nearly anything that's marked as "free" during their rotations).
I just realized that many of you like this post because I'm pawning off the crummy crushed potato chips onto the hapless human medical students who will eat anything marked "free." So, some of you seem very happy about their misfortune - hahaha!

As for the vet med students, or pre-vet med students, or DVMs ... they only get the BEST of the very best. Naturally. :)

But shhhhhh ... don't share this little secret with any of the human medicine folks, okay?

secret.jpg

I just realized that many of you like this post because I'm pawning off the crummy crushed potato chips onto the hapless human medical students who will eat anything marked "free." So, some of you seem very happy about their misfortune - hahaha!

As for the vet med students, or pre-vet med students, or DVMs ... they only get the BEST of the very best. Naturally. :)

But shhhhhh ... don't share this little secret with any of the human medicine folks, okay?

View attachment 215811

To be honest, if there was unopened food marked "free" I'd have taken it, too

Reactions: 12 users
I brought 4-dozen donuts to the party instead. I left the bags of crushed chips out for the human medical students (because they'll eat nearly anything that's marked as "free" during their rotations).
My experience is vet students will take anything marked free too.

Reactions: 11 users

View attachment 215811
Any grad student in any track (at least in my experience) will take free food. It is not a question.

(Though once, about halfway through a cake, my classmates and I all looked around and realized we were eating a homemade cake that mysteriously appeared overnight on our conference table with no idea where it came from...)

Reactions: 9 users
Well, in that case, I guess everyone likes "free" food.

The chips were looking really dismal, broken into little bits; and I was too embarrassed to bring them to the party - thanks to my cat!

I suppose "free" chips are better than pristine-looking chips. But, I still like to provide really nice treats for the vet med folks.

Well, in that case, I guess everyone likes "free" food.

The chips were looking really dismal, broken into little bits; and I was too embarrassed to bring them to the party - thanks to my cat!

I suppose "free" chips are better than pristine-looking chips. But, I still like to provide really nice treats for the vet med folks.
Fun fact, there's actually a company now that sells pre-crushed chips, I saw an ad for them on Facebook the other day: http://www.failchips.com/
I don't get it, but to each their own I guess!