RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but they really did people dirty who bought Fiesta and Focus. And as one of those people I’m just irritated.
(Wait why)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
(Wait why)
They intentionally sold fiesta and focus models with a defective transmission system. There’s been TONS of issues and at first ford acted like that’s the way the cars were supposed to run until enough people complained that there cars were doing the same thing and then they were making people pay for the repairs in some instances even though it is 100% something ford should be covering. Then I think a lawsuit was filed (I think there’s two now) where they’re trying to get ford to pay back/buy back people’s cars. And throughout this whole thing they recalled something related to the transmission once, and for those people the fix at the time actually made their cars worse. Mine personally has had the clutch replaced once, and the transmission reprogrammed at least three times, I bought the car in 2016 and it’s a 2012 so I don’t know if the previous owner had lots of problems before me. Also these are all automatic cars, but the transmission is supposed to be an automatic manual hybrid so it’s faster but more fuel efficient. Then I just read an article that talks about how if the class action even goes through ford customers will probably get even less, because Ford is getting such a good deal vs the 4 billion they’d owe if every owner sued individually.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
BASICALLY. Ford is greedy and shouldn’t make cars because they can’t even perfect a system in their own cars that they promote like it’s an ingenuity. Mine is acting up again, but it’s the worse it’s ever been, it’s stalling, won’t reverse most times, has really bad shudders and vibrations, and you can physically feel the car not being able to shift properly, as well as accelerate more than you want it to, as well as not stop when it’s supposed to either. Luckily I haven’t had it stall as I’m driving like 50-60mph like I’ve read in other people’s complaints but I’m definitely over it and irritated. Ugh I need to stop I could keep ranting for DAYS.

Members don't see this ad :)
BASICALLY. Ford is greedy and shouldn’t make cars because they can’t even perfect a system in their own cars that they promote like it’s an ingenuity. Mine is acting up again, but it’s the worse it’s ever been, it’s stalling, won’t reverse most times, has really bad shudders and vibrations, and you can physically feel the car not being able to shift properly, as well as accelerate more than you want it to, as well as not stop when it’s supposed to either. Luckily I haven’t had it stall as I’m driving like 50-60mph like I’ve read in other people’s complaints but I’m definitely over it and irritated. Ugh I need to stop I could keep ranting for DAYS.

I'm sorry your focus sucks. I love mine, but it's old enough so it's unaffected. I can only imagine how frustrating that is for you!

They intentionally sold fiesta and focus models with a defective transmission system. There’s been TONS of issues and at first ford acted like that’s the way the cars were supposed to run until enough people complained that there cars were doing the same thing and then they were making people pay for the repairs in some instances even though it is 100% something ford should be covering. Then I think a lawsuit was filed (I think there’s two now) where they’re trying to get ford to pay back/buy back people’s cars. And throughout this whole thing they recalled something related to the transmission once, and for those people the fix at the time actually made their cars worse. Mine personally has had the clutch replaced once, and the transmission reprogrammed at least three times, I bought the car in 2016 and it’s a 2012 so I don’t know if the previous owner had lots of problems before me. Also these are all automatic cars, but the transmission is supposed to be an automatic manual hybrid so it’s faster but more fuel efficient. Then I just read an article that talks about how if the class action even goes through ford customers will probably get even less, because Ford is getting such a good deal vs the 4 billion they’d owe if every owner sued individually.

I had an '06 Taurus that had two three catastrophic issues that I still need to report to NHTSA (probably easier than I think it is), but the torque converter on the transmission has tiny teeth that strip out, so car no go. (I think their Windstar vans had the same issue and they recalled them.) Mine failed coming home a couple years ago on the highway at night, so I coasted to the shoulder and parked. Thank goodness for AAA. I had 2 pints of ice cream and an hour weight for the tow truck, so I just ate it all in anger in my now tranny-less car.

The second one is potentially more fatal: unintended acceleration. The car just accelerates like you're flooring the gas pedal, and it doesn't care if you're in rush hour traffic at a red light, you're flooring it and have to fight it with the brake pedal with all your weight (+/- shift into Neutral while it spins crazy fast). I found the solution was to get out of my car, pop the hood, and take the cruise control cable off the throttle and it would stop, but people have legitimately died (maybe Toyotas?).

I guess I had a 3rd potentially fatal issue: total electrical failure (alternator suuucked, even the replacement I put in). Even at 5 AM going to work and it's pitch black and you lose engine, headlights, brakes, steering, and you're a sitting duck on the highway. This happened all the dang time.

**** Ford. I'll consider their new Ranger and F-150s still (and a decently made Mustang toy) but no thanks.

I'm considerably pickier now for future vehicle purchases. (Except this one was a hand-me-down for free, so whatev.)

• Wow
I'm sorry your focus sucks. I love mine, but it's old enough so it's unaffected. I can only imagine how frustrating that is for you!
I have the fiesta which sounds like it should be more fun but it isn’t. :p I’m glad yours wasn’t affected. I do not wish the aggravation on others, but thank you! :)

My dad always told me that Ford stood for Found On Road Dead and to never buy one lol. I've had decent luck with my Nissan and my mom has had a great experience with her Volvos. My dad had a Chevy that basically blew up and died, but it's kind of hard to tell if that was the car or because he took terrible care of it. My sister's Kia was super crappy even considering all the damage she did to it and I don't think I could ever personally own a Kia.

My dad always told me that Ford stood for Found On Road Dead and to never buy one lol. I've had decent luck with my Nissan and my mom has had a great experience with her Volvos. My dad had a Chevy that basically blew up and died, but it's kind of hard to tell if that was the car or because he took terrible care of it. My sister's Kia was super crappy even considering all the damage she did to it and I don't think I could ever personally own a Kia.
Yes I’ve been informed of that... :bag: and my mom has had two kias and I had one as my first car they were all pretty decent/reliable. I had a really old Subaru before this and that is where I want to go. I’m pretty sure I’ve said that on one of these threads already but oh well. Also I’ve definitelyheard good things about Volvo’s too! My best friend has a 98 Volvo that’s doing great!

My Kia's been a solid citizen. Every Ford I've ever owned has ****ed me over. My favourite was my 3/4 ton Suburban. They don't make the 3/4 any more, but the new ones have more power than that one did anyways (it was a 1998). I'm apparently getting a new one as a grad gift if I actually make it through this adventure.

• Love
What year is yours? Mine is a 2011 I think and mine is fine by my experience. I just bought it like 2 years ago so I don't know about the previous owners or anything.

My Kia's been a solid citizen. Every Ford I've ever owned has ****ed me over. My favourite was my 3/4 ton Suburban. They don't make the 3/4 any more, but the new ones have more power than that one did anyways (it was a 1998). I'm apparently getting a new one as a grad gift if I actually make it through this adventure.
@batsenecal

What year is yours? Mine is a 2011 I think and mine is fine by my experience. I just bought it like 2 years ago so I don't know about the previous owners or anything.
Ah yes you escaped too :laugh: I think for Focus owners the cars affected start in 2012. But I’m not 100% on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
My state actually doesn't require rabies vaccines for cats. Fortunately, my city does!
Same here. except it's required in Multnomah county.

And late to the party, as someone who has had animals who have had a rough time with vaccines, I think calls the next day are great. I am wondering when some of the legislation might change regarding requiring yearly vaccines when we were taught they last quite a bit longer then that.
PSA if you don’t know already. If you do good for you, you don’t have to suffer. But do not buy Ford Fiesta’s or Focuses I believe they aren’t going to keep making them which like thank goodness but don’t buy any older models, literally buy anything else. :bang: :bag:
My partner has one and it works great. dunno what year his is from. sorry you're having issues :( I guess a positive to not having a car is not having car issues :p

now for my rant...
I have 20+ sand fly bites almost exclusively on my legs. This is rivaling the half dozen or so arm casts I have had in the summer as itchiest experience ever. I cannot stop scratching. I have no self control. send help!! (or some magical anti-itch cream and the will to not scratch)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Generally lonely, homesick, missing my fiance, and feeling guilty being far from home while **** sort of hit the fan with my family this Summer. I'm so grateful to have had the opportunities I had this Summer...I met wonderful people and I'm already tuly sad about leaving in 2 weeks. But part of me just also really, really wants to be home. Basically just conflicted, guilty, and kind of sad all around.

• Sad
Same here. except it's required in Multnomah county.

And late to the party, as someone who has had animals who have had a rough time with vaccines, I think calls the next day are great. I am wondering when some of the legislation might change regarding requiring yearly vaccines when we were taught they last quite a bit longer then that.

My partner has one and it works great. dunno what year his is from. sorry you're having issues :( I guess a positive to not having a car is not having car issues :p
Lol while in general terms I agree with your sentiment but in this case if you read the article of what Ford has done I wouldn’t put it under regular car troubles.

Mine is a 2006 that drives like it's brand new. I really love it and will be sad when it finally comes time to replace her. This year marks 10 years of me having it haha

Lol while in general terms I agree with your sentiment but in this case if you read the article of what Ford has done I wouldn’t put it under regular car troubles.
Just heard back, he has a 2016.

I mean, Ford is a corporation... they aren't exactly ethical. Remember the thing with VW a couple years ago? My dad got a new car out of that but it was still a pain in the ass to deal with and them trying to trick emissions testing or whatever was sketchy. Again, sorry you're having issues with your car, that blows

I like my Ford but I also had to get a new evaporator core for the AC at only 12k miles... so... I dunno.

I feel like I should be a grown up and just sell her and have one car like a normal person, but I just had to buy the pretty orange car and then name her and all that. Damn it.

Just heard back, he has a 2016.

I mean, Ford is a corporation... they aren't exactly ethical. Remember the thing with VW a couple years ago? My dad got a new car out of that but it was still a pain in the ass to deal with and them trying to trick emissions testing or whatever was sketchy. Again, sorry you're having issues with your car, that blows
True, I guess it’s just annoying that this can be done in the first place we’re supposed to have laws that govern cars and reporting safety issues and what not and somehow Honda and Toyota and every other car brand that had Takata air bags had to spend millions to have them all replaced because people were being injured and killed with defective air bags, and in a lot of cases people are being injured and getting into accidents due to the problems with these particular year models of cars, and the fact that Ford knew hey I actually made all these cars with defective transmissions but like I’ll sell them anyways seems very overboard in the whole system. I didn’t see any articles (at least that I know of) saying Takata knowingly made bad airbags and just put them in cars to see if they could get away with it.

But on a lighter note, that’s good that your partner’s car doesn’t have any issues, like I said earlier I don’t remember all the year models affected because they are a bit different for focus vs fiesta, but I hope the car stays issue free for forever. Also I doubt I’ll get a new car from ford, out of it, especially since they’re currently trying to settle in Court for the least amount possible because lol money. :laugh:

You're one of my Internet best friends now. Suburbans 4 eva!

• Love

My husband had a Fiesta that luckily he just sold a couple weeks ago, it was working fine after he had the clutch replaced a few years ago, but it was basically a ticking time bomb. The person he sold it to is aware of the issues, I think they were just needing something short-term and it was in really good shape otherwise. He sold it for less than half of what he bought it for in 2015, but it was enough to pay it off, so that's a weight off our shoulders! I hope things end up working out with yours!

Saw a job posting to work in a section of our SA hospital. The job listing said it would be great for a veterinary student. I emailed, just in case, asking if it would fit with a veterinary student schedule a WEEK ago. Didn't hear a response so ended up applying anyways. Clearly spent several hours of my time on the app, only to FINALLY get a response from them today saying it would not be a good fit for a vet student due to our schedule. Ugh, so annoying. why list an application that you say is good for a vet student specifically, then take it back, a week later, after I have spent time applying to this while in a foreign country? So freaking annoying.

• Sad
Saw a job posting to work in a section of our SA hospital. The job listing said it would be great for a veterinary student. I emailed, just in case, asking if it would fit with a veterinary student schedule a WEEK ago. Didn't hear a response so ended up applying anyways. Clearly spent several hours of my time on the app, only to FINALLY get a response from them today saying it would not be a good fit for a vet student due to our schedule. Ugh, so annoying. why list an application that you say is good for a vet student specifically, then take it back, a week later, after I have spent time applying to this while in a foreign country? So freaking annoying.

I feel ya. I'm trying to get responses about jobs in general and having a hard time. I think, at larger universities (especially those run by the state), it's a lot of bureaucratic BS and that's why it takes so long to get back to people, and then when they do get back to you it's either a response that doesn't answer your inquiry or just a "thanks but no thanks." Trying to be patient but it's hard.

On that note, I'm trying to become employed in the state of MI ASAP. If anyone knows of anything, particularly veterinary and/or science related, please let me know!!!

The human insurance debacle that is the foolery it is. SO got a $650+ medical suprise bill from OVER A YEAR AGO. Supposedly they've sent statements to his old address. Never once did he get said statement until today when he got an email and he had his mail fowarded. Like what even. Just as we were hoping to get things together

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
@Elkhart can you all band together and say "give us a raise or we quit"? If they only have a few people trained for your job they might respond to that. Wouldn't solve all the other problems though. (That also might be terrible advice, I don't know anything about human hospitals)

Congrats on school! What are you studying now?

@Elkhart Totally agree with PrincessButterCup. Or at the very least, raise your concerns about patient safety. Just from being a vet tech I know how difficult it can be to have to answer phones for things that really aren’t very important while something else much more volatile and pressing is going on. Answering phones and playing receptionist is an ancillary duty, and it takes away time from what we’re actually trained and paid to do.

I hate working with family. I can see my work life spilling into my home life. I wish there was some way I could have forseen and stopped it :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
@johnnaboo feel this on so many levels. happens to me over and over, and I don't even try to switch providers between states, just within it. human med has deteriorated and I wish I didn't rely on doctors and prescriptions for that reason, but sadly I do.

I hope you can get in touch with them and feel better asap. not sure where you are in NY, but access has a couple of mental health urgent cares if it comes down to it-- Access: Supports for Living » Mental Health & Substance Use Urgent Care

didn't realize you were a fellow new yorker. hi :biglove:

@johnnaboo feel this on so many levels. happens to me over and over, and I don't even try to switch providers between states, just within it. human med has deteriorated and I wish I didn't rely on doctors and prescriptions for that reason, but sadly I do.

I hope you can get in touch with them and feel better asap. not sure where you are in NY, but access has a couple of mental health urgent cares if it comes down to it-- Access: Supports for Living » Mental Health & Substance Use Urgent Care

didn't realize you were a fellow new yorker. hi :biglove:
Thanks a bunch ❤

~more about meds~

And yes, hello! Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you also went to Cornell for undergrad, right? If so, hello fellow person who has endured that torture! :laugh:

Last edited:
Update: relief medication takes 24-48 hours to review for my NY clinic. WTF, it’s not a freaking relief med if it takes that long

UUUUUUUGH

• Sad
not really a rant but I wish I had someone to take a ~10 hr road trip with me & doggo. we're going NY-->MI to find a place to live either next week or the following week. if anyone is around last minute, let me know, lol :laugh:

Client calls in very concerned saying his dog is dying and needs to be seen. Not like “ate rat poison and insides are turning to jelly” dying, but like old and frail and low quality of life dying. So we schedule him for a few hours later. At his appointment time he comes in with his dog on his shoulder. I get them into a room and take a history. EDUD, no c/s/v/d, bright and alert, but panting. The dog is an 11 year old small-medium dog, and pretty overweight. I ask what’s going on, and he calmly says “she’s dying. She’s suffering.” I basically leave it at that and go tell the doctor what’s going on. He goes in and does his exam and comes out. I say, “is she dying?” He says “not if I have anything to do with it.” We run a senior profile. Literally perfect bloodwork. We give cerenia and send home with rimadyl. This was also during one of the worst heat waves the east coast has ever scene. Diagnosis? Hot, fat, and dehydrated.

This guy didn’t believe us until we showed him all the evidence, and even then he was still like “well I hope you’re right.” It’s not even like he wants his dog to die. He treats her like she’s his baby. But come on dude. Just put her on a diet and crank up the AC and she’ll be fine.

breed restrictions with housing are ****ing horrible

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
breed restrictions with housing are ****ing horrible

The human insurance debacle that is the foolery it is. SO got a $650+ medical suprise bill from OVER A YEAR AGO. Supposedly they've sent statements to his old address. Never once did he get said statement until today when he got an email and he had his mail fowarded. Like what even. Just as we were hoping to get things together

That’s better than me. Mine was a notice from the collection agency, I never even received a bill (hospital never sent one). Worker’s comp was supposed to take care of it, but the hospital couldn’t get in touch with the proper people at worker’s comp so just sent me straight to collections. Apparently that’s the norm in my state. It took OVER A YEAR for me to sort out.

This guy didn’t believe us until we showed him all the evidence, and even then he was still like “well I hope you’re right.” It’s not even like he wants his dog to die. He treats her like she’s his baby. But come on dude. Just put her on a diet and crank up the AC and she’ll be fine.

I hope your vet is right too. These ADR pets with normal bloodwork and unremarkable PE where the owner is truly concerned makes me really worried. Either they are fine, or they have cancer or a slow pericardial effusion or something bad and it becomes apparent fairly soon. I don’t ever dismiss these as “o is crazy.” I usually phrase it as, I can’t find a reason to say that your pet is currently doomed, but you know your pet best so I wonder if this is the beginning of something i just can’t find overt signs of yet. Let’s take this one day at a time. If pet is normal or better and better to you over the next week great. If he continues to not be quite right, we can do further work up. Here’s a copy of your records just in case your pet deteriorates while we are closed.

Reactions: 11 users
I hope your vet is right too. These ADR pets with normal bloodwork and unremarkable PE where the owner is truly concerned makes me really worried. Either they are fine, or they have cancer or a slow pericardial effusion or something bad and it becomes apparent fairly soon. I don’t ever dismiss these as “o is crazy.” I usually phrase it as, I can’t find a reason to say that your pet is currently doomed, but you know your pet best so I wonder if this is the beginning of something i just can’t find overt signs of yet. Let’s take this one day at a time. If pet is normal or better and better to you over the next week great. If he continues to not be quite right, we can do further work up. Here’s a copy of your records just in case your pet deteriorates while we are closed.
Normally he’d be on the more cautious side, but it’s just too perfect given the weather. We did talk a bit in the back about how when humans get the wrong blood type transfused they get what’s called a “sense of impending doom” so it’s not something that’s totally off of his radar. But he’s been at this a while and I trust that if he was genuinely concerned he would have shown it more.

Normally he’d be on the more cautious side, but it’s just too perfect given the weather. We did talk a bit in the back about how when humans get the wrong blood type transfused they get what’s called a “sense of impending doom” so it’s not something that’s totally off of his radar. But he’s been at this a while and I trust that if he was genuinely concerned he would have shown it more.
Did the owner recently have a blood transfusion?

I’m not saying I don’t trust your vet. More so your take away from it. You most certainly don’t have enough experience to tell the difference between a healthy pet and a pet that is teetering at the edge Prevets/vet students/interns/new grads tend to be more flippant about these until enough cases bite them in the ass. If the owners are concerned, take that seriously even if labwork is normal. Many early hemoabdomens and such present this way. If I don’t find anything, obvious I tell the owners that and let them know it could be nothing, and that I’m glad I didn’t find anything obviously catastrophic. But I don’t ever send them home feeling like I perceived them as over-reacting. I say thank you for bringing him in, there must be something about your pet that is going on that made you feel he wasn’t well, and that’s something I would never catch on as someone who doesn’t live with the pet. I hope it’s just a minor bump in the road. If the pet turns out totally fine, we can all let out a sigh of relief later. But if the pet turns out dead within the next however many days to weeks, the one thing the client will remember is how you blew them off. I see this all the time from cases triaged away from the ER at the nearby vet school due to “nothing obvious.”

Reactions: 5 users
Did the owner recently have a blood transfusion?
No we were talking about it just me and the vet while in the back since it seemed like the owner was having a weird premonition about his dog’s impending doom.

I’m not saying I don’t trust your vet. More so your take away from it. You most certainly don’t have enough experience to tell the difference between a healthy pet and a pet that is teetering at the edge Prevets/vet students/interns/new grads tend to be more flippant about these until enough cases bite them in the ass. If the owners are concerned, take that seriously even if labwork is normal. Many early hemoabdomens and such present this way. If I don’t find anything, obvious I tell the owners that and let them know it could be nothing, and that I’m glad I didn’t find anything obviously catastrophic. But I don’t ever send them home feeling like I perceived them as over-reacting. I say thank you for bringing him in, there must be something about your pet that is going on that made you feel he wasn’t well, and that’s something I would never catch on as someone who doesn’t live with the pet. I hope it’s just a minor bump in the road. If the pet turns out totally fine, we can all let out a sigh of relief later. But if the pet turns out dead within the next however many days to weeks, the one thing the client will remember is how you blew them off. I see this all the time from cases triaged away from the ER at the nearby vet school due to “nothing obvious.”
I totally get what you’re saying. In this situation though, i think it was more of a “you had to be there” kind of thing. This is one of our clients who doesn’t come in much, and when he does, it’s always very awkward and irregular. I get that i probably didn’t convey that properly in my original comment, and i do appreciate your advice because you’re entirely right.

Also quick thing I left out/forgot about since we actually didn’t invoice the client for it, but we did a FAST scan and there was no fluid in the abdomen or pericardial effusion.

That’s better than me. Mine was a notice from the collection agency, I never even received a bill (hospital never sent one). Worker’s comp was supposed to take care of it, but the hospital couldn’t get in touch with the proper people at worker’s comp so just sent me straight to collections. Apparently that’s the norm in my state. It took OVER A YEAR for me to sort out.
Honestly I was suprised it wasnt from a collections agency this far out. That really stinks!

Cant remember who I talked to about this in here besides @Stroganoff and @MixedAnimals77

Talked to my partner a couple months ago and he made more doctor appointments for the snoring issue. Made one with his PCP, then an allergist and sleep doctor. He has some environmental allergies to trees and pollen etc and has been taking allergy meds. He got his prelim results from the sleep study today. Apparently he has 3 events per hour (mostly when he is on his back which is weird since he is a stomach sleeper), so pretty mild apnea. He would require 15+ per hour for insurance to cover any kind of treatment. next step will prob be a mouth guard of some sort. here is to hoping I get back from CR to a snore free sleeping experience!!