RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yesterday morning I got a call from a manager at senior home that I vaguely remembered applying for a job at asking if I wanted to interview and if I could come at 1 that very day. Based on how enthusiastic she was that I said yes I presume they desperately need someone.
I showed up at 1 and the receptionist tried to phone her, no answer, and went to her office, she wasn't there, and basically sent me away
I got a call 2 hours later apologizing and saying a meeting went late and she was so excited that I was still interested in spite of what happened and we rescheduled to today at the same time
But I realized today that my schedule was absurdly busy and I tried to reach her this morning first thing to reschedule and left a VM, left another VM at 12, just heard back and she had such an attitude with me! She agreed to change it but was Such a contrast from how nice she was yesterday. Now I almost don't want to go through it because she doesn't seem like someone I want to work for.

When people show you their true colors, believe them!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I know everyone is trying their best, and scheduling must be a nightmare right now for the admin staff. Given that I've been trying to cut them as much slack as humanly possible. But right now I'm royally pissed. We have mandatory clin path and business rotations that are scheduled for half the class at a time. One of the changes the admin made was to clump everyone into one clin path and have it starting week two of clinics. That's all fine and dandy except week 1 is business for half the class still. So me and the other half of the class have a blank week then clin path, then another blank week later in conjunction with business. I'm not sure why they decided to do this but I've been patiently waiting for a resolution because we can't just lose two weeks that the other half of the class gets. Except that is the plan, and every inquiry they receive they respond with "we're focusing on the forth years right now". I get that, I respect that their needs are greater and more immediate. But for the love of god this is literally the first two weeks of clinics (one and a half weeks from now btw) and you're telling me sorry you're not important enough to us figure this out. Maybe I shouldn't be so pissed about missing only two weeks, but it's two weeks that 75 other people are getting and 75 of us are not. It's not fair, but that's life and it sucks. I don't understand why they had to change clin path scheduling at all. It was originally scheduled for two separate weeks, why can't we just do it that way again?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know everyone is trying their best, and scheduling must be a nightmare right now for the admin staff. Given that I've been trying to cut them as much slack as humanly possible. But right now I'm royally pissed. We have mandatory clin path and business rotations that are scheduled for half the class at a time. One of the changes the admin made was to clump everyone into one clin path and have it starting week two of clinics. That's all fine and dandy except week 1 is business for half the class still. So me and the other half of the class have a blank week then clin path, then another blank week later in conjunction with business. I'm not sure why they decided to do this but I've been patiently waiting for a resolution because we can't just lose two weeks that the other half of the class gets. Except that is the plan, and every inquiry they receive they respond with "we're focusing on the forth years right now". I get that, I respect that their needs are greater and more immediate. But for the love of god this is literally the first two weeks of clinics (one and a half weeks from now btw) and you're telling me sorry you're not important enough to us figure this out. Maybe I shouldn't be so pissed about missing only two weeks, but it's two weeks that 75 other people are getting and 75 of us are not. It's not fair, but that's life and it sucks. I don't understand why they had to change clin path scheduling at all. It was originally scheduled for two separate weeks, why can't we just do it that way again?

I’m so sorry Coops. That’s super stressful.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait do you guys still get a business rotation?
What originally was supposed to fill those 2 weeks?

Yesterday morning I got a call from a manager at senior home that I vaguely remembered applying for a job at asking if I wanted to interview and if I could come at 1 that very day. Based on how enthusiastic she was that I said yes I presume they desperately need someone.
I showed up at 1 and the receptionist tried to phone her, no answer, and went to her office, she wasn't there, and basically sent me away
I got a call 2 hours later apologizing and saying a meeting went late and she was so excited that I was still interested in spite of what happened and we rescheduled to today at the same time
But I realized today that my schedule was absurdly busy and I tried to reach her this morning first thing to reschedule and left a VM, left another VM at 12, just heard back and she had such an attitude with me! She agreed to change it but was Such a contrast from how nice she was yesterday. Now I almost don't want to go through it because she doesn't seem like someone I want to work for.
She sounds like an incompetent POS on top of personality issues. AVOID THAT WORKPLACE. RED FLAG. Honestly, I doubt the creds for a mgmt position at a senior home require a ton of expertise and education so it seems like a place with high turnover and a place that gets bottom of the barrel people to pretend to be "managers." I worked at a group home, and it was similar in toxicity and lies and incompetence. Employees were treated like kindergartners, and supervisors/management were quite abusive.

Also same-day interview = giant red flag too.

Members don't see this ad :)
:rofl: thanks, we can't because clinics are in two week blocks but yeah, anger
.......why tf can’t they do back to back weeks for both groups and do it the first two weeks and second two weeks for the business and clin path........ or make an exception and split your guys clinics into 1 week chunks and just do them at the times you have off

.......why tf can’t they do back to back weeks for both groups and do it the first two weeks and second two weeks for the business and clin path........ or make an exception and split your guys clinics into 1 week chunks and just do them at the times you have off
these are the questions I've been asking :bang::bang::bang:

My grandmother has had a fever, is complaining of bone pain, won't eat, and they think she fell trying to get out of bed. They've had several employees test positive for covid-19 where she is...but they can't get a test for her because she's not showing respiratory signs at the moment and they don't want to send her out to a doctor because if this isn't covid related, that would put her at higher risk of getting it. So they're just managing symptoms with the PA on staff and basically waiting to see what happens. I completely agree if its NOT covid, a doctors office would be the worst place for her right now...but the lack of available testing and equipment makes me so angry. She's almost 87 with Alzheimer's and heart/blood pressure problems, and the last time I visited her she was having a really bad day cognitively. The facility is so short staffed after people quit because they were afraid of exposure, that they're not even having phone visits now (my grandmother can't operate a phone on her own/doesn't have one). This whole thing is just awful in every way possible.

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users
My dad works in oil and gas, and has been with the same company for 7 years (5 consecutive). He was laid off this afternoon.

After everything my parents have been through in the last two years, this sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
My dad works in oil and gas, and has been with the same company for 7 years (5 consecutive). He was laid off this afternoon.

After everything my parents have been through in the last two years, this sucks.

My best friend’s husband works for an oil and natural gas company too and he got laid off today as well. Unfortunately, I’m afraid this is only the tip of the oil and gas lay-off iceberg. My mom works for a different oil company so I’m hoping she keeps hers but it’s scary.

My dad was laid off from his oil and natural gas company 18 months ago. He told me to tell my friend’s husband today that there’s life after being laid off from the oilfield and sometimes it’s even better than it was before. My dad now makes 1/3 of what he did in his oilfield job but he is much less stressed and has more free time now. So I guess that’s a random stranger’s internet advice from someone who has been in the exact same situation. Doesn’t make it suck less today though...sorry you guys are going through this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Tuesday I had every single client thank me for still working through COVID so their pet could get the help they need. Today, every one complained about their bill and the number of tests I wanted to run. Can I go back to Tuesday?

• Sad
Tuesday I had every single client thank me for still working through COVID so their pet could get the help they need. Today, every one complained about their bill and the number of tests I wanted to run. Can I go back to Tuesday?
Here, let me help. You are incredible, talented and a wonderful person. Not to mention your amazing talents as a doctor. You are greatly appreciated for what you do :biglove:

• Love
@CoffeeQuestionMark to provide a different opinion... managing a senior care facility right now is probably a nightmare, and it sounds like this lady is incredibly overworked at the moment. Maybe something terrible happened right before she returned your call, or she's recently had a lot of trouble hiring people without them flaking on her or something.

I don't think it hurts to have an interview to try to assess if the annoyance was just a one off. You also don't have to stay at a place if it turns out to be run by harpies.

I think a kind, intelligent person like you would have a lot to offer the residents at a time like this.

Reactions: 2 users
So my brother is depressed and i don't know what to do for him. Pretty sure he's suicidal, since he hasn't pushed back when I've said things like "I'm glad you're still here". He's living with my parents temporarily, because covid, so i feel good that they're keeping an eye on him. i just wish there was a quick way to make him feel better and to also support my parents. phone calls are hard.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I know this came up in the covid & school thread a bit... but does anyone have suggestions for how to convince people that they should not be out shopping for non-essentials?

My mom is almost 70 and keeps going out to stores (with PPE on) "because they have curbside pickup and it's no contact, very safe." Today she told me she was going to go buy a bunch of succulents. When I pushed back and said that hardware stores are open for essential items, not fun home improvement projects, she said "they're there anyways" and emphasized she will wear a mask, gloves, and remain away from the employees putting stuff in the trunk her car (which is >6ft away).

Is this worth a fight? I don't like that she is leaving her house... but considering all the precautions she says she is taking, I also don't know if I can clearly articulate why leaving the house is worse than, say, online shopping for non-essentials.

I've looked for some information on the safety of curbside pickup for retail items, and couldn't find anything. Is there any data on this? (Or literally anything else I can use to get her to stay put in her damn house?)

Side note: she has now made her own PPE (and went to the post office to mail some to my sister... on the one hand it's nice she is trying to help my sister stay safe, but on the other... :lame:) so I can't even use the argument that she is depleting PPE resources by taking these non-essential trips.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the data I'm looking for doesn't exist yet.

• Sad
I know this came up in the covid & school thread a bit... but does anyone have suggestions for how to convince people that they should not be out shopping for non-essentials?

My mom is almost 70 and keeps going out to stores (with PPE on) "because they have curbside pickup and it's no contact, very safe." Today she told me she was going to go buy a bunch of succulents. When I pushed back and said that hardware stores are open for essential items, not fun home improvement projects, she said "they're there anyways" and emphasized she will wear a mask, gloves, and remain away from the employees putting stuff in the trunk her car (which is >6ft away).

Is this worth a fight? I don't like that she is leaving her house... but considering all the precautions she says she is taking, I also don't know if I can clearly articulate why leaving the house is worse than, say, online shopping for non-essentials.

I've looked for some information on the safety of curbside pickup for retail items, and couldn't find anything. Is there any data on this? (Or literally anything else I can use to get her to stay put in her damn house?)

Side note: she has now made her own PPE (and went to the post office to mail some to my sister... on the one hand it's nice she is trying to help my sister stay safe, but on the other... :lame:) so I can't even use the argument that she is depleting PPE resources by taking these non-essential trips.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the data I'm looking for doesn't exist yet.
The population here in maine is over 60 as a high percentage. We have an official stay at home. You know what I saw today? Lines hanging out into the street for all the fast food restaurants, banks and lowes. The drivers looked about right for our population breakdown. I don't think it matters if you present facts. They have their routines and they are sticking to them. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
The population here in maine is over 60 as a high percentage. We have an official stay at home. You know what I saw today? Lines hanging out into the street for all the fast food restaurants, banks and lowes. The drivers looked about right for our population breakdown. I don't think it matters if you present facts. They have their routines and they are sticking to them. :(
And on top of it, weather was rain and wind and cold. WTF.

There was a paper saying homemade masks had higher infection rates in medical workers? I'm not sure it'll apply because she isn't wearing it for the same length of time or exposure...

I don't think it matters if you present facts. They have their routines and they are sticking to them. :(
It's so frustrating. I know they are smart people, but they frequently balk at medical recommendations and scientific information.

I read an interesting article earlier today that suggested the cold war may be partially responsible for the skepticism displayed by the older subset of the population. Born after WW II, but spent formative years during the Cold War, so they grew up in a time when bomb drills and alarming rhetoric basically ended up being a decades-long experience of hearing wolf cries from government officials.

So now, when it's real, they are reluctant to take it seriously and see it as an encroachment on individual liberty.

Probably a gross generalization, but I thought it was an interesting take nonetheless.

So now, when it's real, they are reluctant to take it seriously and see it as an encroachment on individual liberty

I dont think the fight is "worth it" in the sense that it wont change anything, so theres no sense in adding strain on top of the situation. And I dont think the whole "well at least you tried" amounts to anything in general situations, and this one especially. People already *know* on some level what they should and should not be doing. And if people are following government mandates, they dont feel they need to change and compromise any more than they already have.

As you noted, part of this is coming from culture. You have far more individualism in our culture, so trying to convey the need for more "good for the whole" by denying people a certain level of freedom to do stuff the government is telling them is okay just isnt going to register in that demographic. Add in what you mentioned with the Cold War, then add in scandal after political scandal they've seen, the Boomer generation has a relatively logical skepticism of the government in general. I certainly dont blame them.

For what its worth, I've foregone discussions with my parents and fiancee in some of this because I know it's not going to change anything about what they're doing. At the same time, it's going to strain relationships in ways we dont need. They arent nearly as bad as a lot of people, but definitely not on the perfect level either if we were to follow what I would be doing if I was still in Illinois. It's going to take the local government enforcing fines to change their habits at this point.

@PippyPony have you tried approaching it as “I’m your daughter and I love you and it really worries me when you go out on non-essential errands”? I think a lot of us, obviously having very evidence-based mindsets and being science-y in general, lean toward “here are the statistics and studies that have been done to help convince you” when sometimes the more effective approach is appealing to the softer side of things. (Maybe you’ve already tried that but I figured I’d bring it up :shrug:) I also find it frustrating how so many people, especially those at higher risk, aren’t taking things as seriously.

@PippyPony have you tried approaching it as “I’m your daughter and I love you and it really worries me when you go out on non-essential errands”? I think a lot of us, obviously having very evidence-based mindsets and being science-y in general, lean toward “here are the statistics and studies that have been done to help convince you” when sometimes the more effective approach is appealing to the softer side of things. (Maybe you’ve already tried that but I figured I’d bring it up :shrug:) I also find it frustrating how so many people, especially those at higher risk, aren’t taking things as seriously.
Thank you for this suggestion -- you're so right. I think I tend to jump to the scientific stuff instead of the human angle. They just emailed me about a sale at a local garden center (aaaaahhhhh), so I took the opportunity to try this exact approach. Fingers crossed.

@batsenecal I also think you made a really good point about straining relationships unnecessarily -- that is definitely one of my concerns. I would feel horrible if they did get sick while we were not on the best of terms.

I had to take this approach with my sister who is still sending both her kids to daycare even though she is working from home and her husband is taking part time online classes. Her excuse was that she still has to work, but like so does the rest of the country and she is by no means an essential employee or anything. I couldn't make her understand that she's basically just exposing her family to all the families of the kids who still go to daycare (and most of those kids are probably kids of actual essential employees who themselves have a greater risk of exposure). It was just such an infuriating conversation. I get the appeal of sending the kids to daycare (boy do I) but for your own sake and theirs, stop it! Finally I switched to explaining that no one is immune, and there was an infant who died from COVID19 in Chicago (where I am), so their family is not automatically going to be fine if they get it just because they're young and relatively healthy. It didn't help much, she's still planning to keep sending them until the daycare says she can't, but at least the conversation got less aggressive since she understood I was speaking from love of her and her family. Though she did still get a little defensive and basically say that since she's in a more rural community its just not as bad as in a big city like Chicago (sigh).

Reactions: 4 users
since she's in a more rural community its just not as bad as in a big city
We definitely have this problem here, compounded by the belief that since our governor won't issue a stay-at-home order, it's not really going to be that bad here. So people still chat in the grocery store. And Hobby Lobby. And go to Lowes on the weekends just to browse.

• Sad
I just want people -- full grown adults -- to stop deliberately coughing and sneezing directly into the air without covering their mouths, sometimes [coincidentally, but I don't think it's coincidence] when they pass someone in an aisle or hallway or walk past them. Or the phenomenon of covering a juicy cough or sneeze with a hand right before walking into a building and using the same hand (less than 1 second later) to grab the door handle to the point you can see the wet door handle. It's so egregious that it must be deliberate.

Now is not the time to be a malicious dingus. Now is the time to be selfless and loving and properly cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, a mask, or your sleeve. Now is not the time to fake cough or fake sneeze directly into the air either.

Last edited:
  • Angry
My whole family has this virus. My step dad is NYPD and naturally was going to contract it. He's obviously been going home to my family every day. So my mom and my two half siblings who are 10 and 12 will be sick too. And I have to sit in Michigan like a ****ing dingus and do nothing.

• Sad
Reactions: 16 users
to add some insult to injury my father, who hasn't spoken to me in a year for reasons beyond my or anyone elses' comprehension, has not checked in during this time. he knows my step dad's profession. he doesn't know I moved to michigan. but he continues to pretend I don't exist, the way he has for much of my life. I am honestly ashamed to have his last name and be his daughter. makes the decision to legally change my last name that much easier.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Went to get more bloodwork done this morning after being told they couldn't do some of it on Saturday, and the concern for patient wellbeing was almost nonexistent compared to literally two days ago. The woman checking me in was wearing a mask that didn't cover her nose, the woman who did the finances took my credit card with her bare hands (not wearing a mask at all) and handed it back to me without even giving me a wipe or anything so I had to wipe it with a pump of hand sanitizer, the seats were not wiped down, and the woman who drew my blood touched my hand with her bare hand and was like "wow your hands are so cold!", gave me a pen to sign something with that she did not wipe down, and then had the gall to ask me if I wanted a tissue since I was tearing up from her not finding the vein the first time. Like no, I do not want to be rubbing your germs into my mucous membranes, thank you very much!!!! Just unbelievable compared to how wonderful the staff was two days ago.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
My boyfriend was just fired... first thing this morning. I don't even think it was due to COVID because he has always worked from home. They said he wasn't doing enough hours/getting enough work in. And objectively I havent seen him working that much but it's not my responsibility to mom him. I'm so upset rn. How the **** is he supposed to find another job right now?! **** **** **** **** I honestly am just crying and my stomach is upset and now idk how I'm supposed to keep doing school work being this much more stressed. on the bright side, it sounds like it's a bit of a relief for him because he was unhappy with this job and said it wasn't a good fit.

don't quote, might delete

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users

I wish I could bring people into the emergency medicine/trauma department at my AMC so they could actually SEE what is happening with COVID-19 cases and see patients helplessly attached to ventilators, or worse. It would SCARE them into compliance, and they would (hopefully) think twice about wandering around town on non-essential business.

Hmmm ... just wondering:

Have you considered asking your Mom how she would FEEL if you became ill, and YOU were hooked up to a ventilator, and you were fighting to stay alive because someone else infected you - especially knowing that so many people are asymptomatic? It happens. How would she feel if you were fighting for your life ... would that make a difference to her?

• Love
My daughter understands why I don't come and visit them and the kids. She fusses at her dad going to the grocery store--she has started asking for our list, and going for us, dropping groceries off on the porch. We are trying to do what we are supposed to. but still catch a little flak from friends. Nope, sitting my happy self home.

My mare Lily is getting euthanized today she’s foundered the last few springs and this year it was really, really bad apparently. My dad has been giving her bute but it isn’t even touching her pain. The video he sent me this morning was just heartbreaking. Feeling a lot of guilt I haven’t been able to be home to monitor her and manage her better to have prevented it... poor little lady My dad tries but he’s not really able to manage a special needs horse, so it’s probably for the best regardless... just so tough even when you know it’s the right decision.

• Sad
Reactions: 17 users