Rochester vs. UCONN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rochester vs. UCONN

• UCONN

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Rochester

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ska1101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both awesome schools for different reasons. Rochester would be ~$10k more/year. Just wondering everyone's thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

Any reason why rochester is dominating right now?

Well regarded, highly ranked school, which is not that much more expensive. Less emphasis on PBL than UCONN and great learning environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I'd say Rochester has more PBL. From what I understand, they have PBL sessions in the afternoons 2-3 times/week. Maybe someone from Rochester could correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like they have a ton of structured class/lab/PBL time and days can run really late.

Rochester is undoubtedly a great school, but I'm definitely struggling with the location though. I can deal with the cold, but it's far from everything and flat as a pancake so you can't even use all the awesome snow for skiing.

Actually, I'd say Rochester has more PBL. From what I understand, they have PBL sessions in the afternoons 2-3 times/week. Maybe someone from Rochester could correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like they have a ton of structured class/lab/PBL time and days can run really late.

Rochester is undoubtedly a great school, but I'm definitely struggling with the location though. I can deal with the cold, but it's far from everything and flat as a pancake so you can't even use all the awesome snow for skiing.

We do usually have PBL 2-3 times a week like you said. And yes, we do have a lot of structured time. But, our professors do their best to split it between lecture, lab and PBL so it isn't monotonous. The only thing that is really "required" out of all of that is PBL... granted, I'm a lecture goer.

When people say to me that we have a ton of class time and our days are long (not every day is long... we have scheduled afternoons 3 days and they are scheduled till 5 but do NOT always go that late), this is my response: Yes, our days are long, and yes, I sometimes envy people that go to schools where they get out at noon everyday. But, by being in class now (including our early clinical experiences), we open up time in 3rd year for more elective time (Rochester has a ridiculous amount of elective time compared to other schools). Plus, if you think about it, you're going to be a doctor in a short, quick 4 years... someone had better teach you how! I figure I'm paying for my education, someone should be teaching me rather than having me buy a book and teach myself.

Rochester isn't an awful location. There is plenty to do here as far as I'm concerned. I've never been skiing, but a lot of my friends go skiing at Bristol Mountain which is not far away. Our school even has a ski day for all med and grad students.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.