2022-2023 Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

"(Optional) Please share any challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application." (200 word limit)

Not sure if this is a regular challenge prompt or specifically geared toward COVID-19

Members don't see this ad :)
"(Optional) Please share any challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application." (200 word limit)

Not sure if this is a regular challenge prompt or specifically geared toward COVID-19
I did it to address challenges from COVID since it wasn't asked any where else

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc Rochester MSTP prompts are out, they seem to be the same as last year.

1. (Optional) Please share any challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application. 200 words

2. If you previously applied to medical school, briefly describe any experiences you have been part of since your previous application. 200 words

3. Please briefly describe your research interests, and describe how the opportunities at the University of Rochester fit with your goals for graduate training. Please include names of up to five investigators whose research programs interest you. No limit

Was there a headshot required? Thought there was but now I can't find it...

Was there a headshot required? Thought there was but now I can't find it...
Not that I know of. My status is marked "complete" without uploading a picture, so you should be good w/o one.

How long does it take for you to receive secondaries? It has been 4 days for me since primary verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take for you to receive secondaries? It has been 4 days for me since primary verified.
Verified on 7/7 and received my secondary the same day. Maybe they're just a bit busier now?

Under experiences they ask "Have you completed a formal postbac program?" I am in a masters program designed for students planning to medical school, does this count?

For the reapplicant question, is it recommended to answer even if you didn't apply to Rochester before? Like do they know in other ways that I've applied to schools via AMCAS before?

Reactions: 1 users

Is it okay to leave this blank? I have my standard challenge essay pre-written but it didn't impact my application, and neither did Covid beyond some cancelled volunteering like everyone else.
Also wondering about this. The prompt seems really vague. What is considered a "challenge or special circumstance"? I worked full-time in a clinical job while taking classes, volunteering, and studying, but probably many people do this. Is it OK to leave it blank?

Verified on 7/22, Secondary received 7/22, submitted 7/24. OOS w/ties

For the reapplicant question, is it recommended to answer even if you didn't apply to Rochester before? Like do they know in other ways that I've applied to schools via AMCAS before?
If you previously applied to any medical school, I would answer the prompt (just a gap year question)

So according to reddit Rochester has started sending out IIs🫠

Reactions: 3 users
I am not sure tbh
Thank you. I would have to assume so because most of these seem way earlier than what schools I have applied to say when they will start offering invites, which usually seemed late August.

@wysdoc Rochester MSTP prompts are out, they seem to be the same as last year.

1. (Optional) Please share any challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application. 200 words

2. If you previously applied to medical school, briefly describe any experiences you have been part of since your previous application. 200 words

3. Please briefly describe your research interests, and describe how the opportunities at the University of Rochester fit with your goals for graduate training. Please include names of up to five investigators whose research programs interest you. No limit
Received my secondary today but I'm not seeing the 3rd question about research. Should I email them or was that question removed?

Thank you. I would have to assume so because most of these seem way earlier than what schools I have applied to say when they will start offering invites, which usually seemed late August.
I got an II but didn't do early enrollment, I just applied superrrr early into the cycle!

Does anyone know if they have a strict requirement for social science courses and humanities in undergrad?

LM ~76, OOS, not URM
Congratulations... Also I wish someone would put a sheet together of all the acronyms that are used when people people post so I could understand some of it. I can figure out some but man, LOL. I am older and this is my first time doing all this and there should be a manual figuring all of this out.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations... Also I wish someone would put a sheet together of all the acronyms that are used when people people post so I could understand some of it. I can figure out some but man, LOL. I am older and this is my first time doing all this and there should be a manual figuring all of this out.
LizzyM = calculator used to give one number that combines value if GPA and MCAT

OOS = out of state
IS = in state

URM = under represented in medicine
ORM = over represented in medicine (asians and white)

How is everyone with an II tackling the required essays? It says pick two of the three questions to answer... I haven't seen that on any other portal, yet!

How is everyone with an II tackling the required essays? It says pick two of the three questions to answer... I haven't seen that on any other portal, yet!
Yeah, I finished mine over the weekend. Wasn't too bad, just used some answers I'd previously written for secondaries. A bit of a strange order to asking for essays, but I'm good with it!

re: writing about 2 non academic experiences - do we think study abroad could work if i focus on travel/changed worldview aspect vs classes?

For the "most significant non-academic experiences" did people just use the same most significant that they listed on the AMCAS primary app, or would it be best to include alternative activities?

II just now! Very excited about this one. Complete 7/20.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now as well! LM 77. Really pumped about this one!