Temple Lecture and Mandatory Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nairopil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Temple have mandatory lecture attendance? Does anyone know what the class schedule is generally like? I read on their website that there are about 25 hours of instruction a week during MS1 and MS2. So would that amount to a 5 hour block of time each day, or is it spread out.

I am going to be living in Allentown, and applying to Temple - St. Lukes as my first choice. My husband has a good job and I am hoping we won't have to move, but that would mean commuting during MS1 to the Philly campus (1 hour and 10 minutes or so) and I'm wondering what that will look like logistically. I will have a 5 year old and 3 year old at that point, so I am hoping I could go in for lecture, and then spend some time with the kids in the afternoon/evening when I get back, and then study in the evenings. But I will lose 2 hours out of my day on the commute, unless I listen to recorded lectures on the drive or something.

Obviously, if I don't get into Temple, it's all a moot point, but I'm hoping. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

This was how it worked for us last year. Block 1 will be a 1 hour conference, followed by (IIRC) 1 hour for cross-teach and 2 hours of dissection. There are 6 people to a cadaver, split into 2 dissection groups of 3 people. Group A dissects one day, then Group B dissects on the next. There was quizzes on Friday. You will need to come in for Block 1 every day, but it is only 7 weeks long.

From Block 2 on, the blocks are more of a standard 4-hour lecture schedule. Lecture from 8-12 daily, which are all class captured and put on Blackboard. There will be some labs and workshops that are required, and MOST of them are in the 8-12PM set. Every once in awhile, they will be after lunch hour. How many labs and workshops there are will vary with each block, as well as the schedule for quizzes.

You will need to go in on Monday afternoon for doctoring lecture and the St. Luke's doctoring college, at least when I was an MS-1, was right after lecture on Mondays from 3-5PM. Doctoring lectures and college sessions are required. With the exception of Monday, you will be done by noon on most days.

I am in a very similar boat, so I understand. I only applied to the school's in Philly because of my husband's job (where he is very happy) and we have two little kids (4 and 15 months). Good luck!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Any tips for juggling med school and parenting?

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Any tips for juggling med school and parenting?

You're welcome. A supportive partner is key, and other helpful family like grandmoms are certainly good to have around, too. IMO, it really is helpful for me to just temper my expectations. Once you accept the fact that you won't get much, if any, studying done when you're home with them, that I'm hardly ever going to land honors nor are you going to win Mom of the Year, you'll probably be happier. I'm doing pretty well in school and I habitually spoil my kids the weekend after tests (because I feel bad for ignoring them in the days leading up to it) and I think everyone's pretty well-adjusted and happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.