Tennessee Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidermonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone else applied to UT and whether or not anyone has heard from them? I received a phone call 2 weeks ago from them telling me that they didn't have my GRE scores (which I sent!! grrrr). Other than that not a word.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yep--I believe they don't offer interviews until March...we have a ways to go (Jeopardy theme song plays...). :whistle:

Oh man that is so lame.... thanks for the heads up though :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone else applied to UT and whether or not anyone has heard from them? I received a phone call 2 weeks ago from them telling me that they didn't have my GRE scores (which I sent!! grrrr). Other than that not a word.... :confused:
Haven't heard anything yet either.....and we wait........sigh

Haven't heard anything yet either.....and we wait........sigh

You won't hear from TN until around mid-February cause they do interviews over our spring break which is March 16-20th. If you do interview you will hear a final response usually around April 1st. Hang in there... not too much longer... TN just takes forever.

They are hard at work on the applications...because I got a call today that they hadn't received my transcripts! YIKES! I was able to have them resent right away...but OMG.... I can't believe they didn't get them!:eek:

They are hard at work on the applications...because I got a call today that they hadn't received my transcripts! YIKES! I was able to have them resent right away...but OMG.... I can't believe they didn't get them!:eek:

I had that happen to me there too and they let me just fax copies that I had at home and just requested that if I got in that I needed to send them official copies. I think they had misplaced them cause they never asked for them once I got in and I know they all got there cause I had a confirmation thing put on that package cause I had like 5 transcripts in one big envelope. They are good about things that don't get to them. They understand that some things happen when you aren't expecting them.

I had that happen to me there too and they let me just fax copies that I had at home and just requested that if I got in that I needed to send them official copies. I think they had misplaced them cause they never asked for them once I got in and I know they all got there cause I had a confirmation thing put on that package cause I had like 5 transcripts in one big envelope. They are good about things that don't get to them. They understand that some things happen when you aren't expecting them.
I would imagine with all the paperwork they get, some things are bound to get lost. I'm just glad they were nice about it and I got to fix it. Maybe now my app will be on the top of the pile!! :D

I would imagine with all the paperwork they get, some things are bound to get lost. I'm just glad they were nice about it and I got to fix it. Maybe now my app will be on the top of the pile!! :D

I've noticed that too. UT is very good about letting you know what they are missing...for instance my GRE scores. When I called the GRE people they confirmed that my scores had been sent (and to the right code!!) but UT never got them. But they let me know and I fixed it immediately. I hope we hear from them soon!!!!!! February is right around the corner!:xf::xf::luck:

Does anyone know how they notify you? phone email, snail mail? Is it different for IS vs OOS? It's mid Feb. and I am ready for the news. Hopefully good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should hear in the next week or so, I think. Try to be patient. I'm all the way up on the third floor or I'd go and ask, but I'm a little lazy when it comes to going down two floors and across the building! ;) I'll ask around and see if anyone knows who is down on the first floor, closer to the action!

I spoke to someone today who said interview invites would be mailed out the first week of march

They will usually email you about interviews which occur over our spring break (March 16-20).

so email oe snail mail? does anyone know

If they are doing it like they did in the past you will get an email if you got an interview. I don't think they send emails to the people that don't get interviews but I'm not positive on that part.

All quiet on the western front

Does anyone know why TN only has limited accredation? Is that true? :wtf: ok that smiley may be a little strong but i really wanted to use it:)

Does anyone know why TN only has limited accredation? Is that true?

Yes, we are on limited accreditation. It doesn't affect us yet, but it means that we need to update our facilities sometime in the next few years to keep our accreditation. Of course, with this economic down turn, there's no money anywhere for that, and with the governor of Tennessee accusing the accreditation board of purposely putting us on limited accreditation so that we can get more money from the state, it might not be likely, but hopefully they won't yank our accreditation entirely for the sake of old floors in the large animal facility (yes, that's really the only thing).

Thank you. When I visited I thought the facilities looked great. :)

I applied OOS, and just got my interview invitation in the mail today. Yay!

Yay! Ditto! Just got my invite in the mail with enough time to call and confirm!

Oh, I'm OOS by the way...

YAY! I just checked my mail before my meeting when I saw your posts and I got one too!! :):):)

Do you think they are sending out rejections at the same time?

Congratulations to everyone who got interviews! I'm really sorry I won't be around this break to give tours and host interviewees. (Last year I was there almost everyday and had a couple of SDNers stay with me.) But I know you'll love it when you come here. I fell in love with UTK during my interview.

The interview itself is really laid back. Just be yourself. Most of the questions they just want to get to know you better. I only had one difficult question. Anyway, come on down and see what Tennessee has to offer!

After obsessively stalking this msg board and hitting the refresh button on my email about 1000 times over the last half of my work day (don't tell my boss), I raced home and found mine in my mailbox as well! I almost threw up when I saw the envelope, haha. March 17th, and I'm in state. A big GOOD LUCK to everyone else waiting! The last 6 months have been TORTURE! :luck:

uh oh! I'm OOS and I didn't hear anything today. That's not good right?:confused:

uh oh! I'm OOS and I didn't hear anything today. That's not good right?:confused:

From the other people it sounds like they sent them through the regular mail this year so it may take longer to get to some areas than others. I would give it another day or two before worrying too much.

Congrats to everyone that has heard back. I'll probably see some of you there... I'm going to try to come and do tours and stuff for at least a day or two again this year.

My letter was dated Feb 19 and postmarked Feb 21, so I guess they went out Friday/Saturday...so I wouldn't panic yet if I was OOS. :)

Any suggestions from current students on hotels in the area/fun stuff to do in Knoxville?

My letter was dated Feb 19 and postmarked Feb 21, so I guess they went out Friday/Saturday...so I wouldn't panic yet if I was OOS. :)

Any suggestions from current students on hotels in the area/fun stuff to do in Knoxville?

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn on Ailor Ave. when I had my interview. It's in an industrial/downtown area. It is a crappy $30/night hotel/motel. It is by no means fancy, but cheap and really close to school (I pass it on my way to school every morning now:)). Just an idea if you are looking to save some money and be within a few minutes of school!

Oh thank you for the tip. As a soon to be vet student saving money is what I am about! :D

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn on Ailor Ave. when I had my interview. It's in an industrial/downtown area. It is a crappy $30/night hotel/motel. It is by no means fancy, but cheap and really close to school (I pass it on my way to school every morning now:)). Just an idea if you are looking to save some money and be within a few minutes of school!

If your a movie fan, there is an IMAX near the college. A good club called Valarium, if you're in to that. Lots of good local shows to catch in the old city (just be a little more on the careful side lol). The strip ,which is within walking distance from the campus, is a good place to go bar crawling. If your a shopper there are a couple pretty nice malls close to campus too.

If you're wanting to get a feel for the city, my best advice is to get a group together and go to the old city and just wander around :)

I was granted an interview today by mail. I need to decide by next Friday (March 6th). I have already been accepted to the U. of Missouri and I am wondering what I should do? Do I go or decline? What are your opinions?

Congrats Jaydog! I'm dying to recieve an invite from TN due to their wildlife program, but, may realistically end up going to MO (which is also a great school, just less wildlife/zoo focus.)

If you have the time and the money you should check out TN. Knoxville seems like a cool town and I was very impressed that when I went to go visit. It was actually the dean of the school who took over an hour out of his day to show me around.

On the other hand if you lean more towards large animal/equine/meat animal Mizzou is really excellent in these areas. They also have probably the best animal science reproduction graduate group in the country if you are consitering a dual degree. The pro's about Mizzou are that you start clinics in your second year, they have a wonderful, very accesable faculty (I have taken a couple courses through the vet school as part of my masters,) Columbia is actually a very charming town with a decent music scene (I moved out here from Ca and I was very pleasantly suprised at how wrong I had been about the place) and the tuition is cheap for IS residents. Also it's really easy to gain residency after a year, as opposed to TN where it sounded like the only way to gain residency was to marry someone from TN.

Ok, sorry for the long response. I feel like these things have been bumbling around in my head and since you asked...:laugh:

Either way good luck!

There are a ton of hotels along the road between the airport and the school. If you are flying in that would be your best bet. I interviewed here twice before I got in and I stayed along rt 129 the first year and it was much easier for me to find my way to the school. The second year I stayed down on Henley st which is more downtown and I had to have them draw me a map on how to find the school cause it was kind of confusing and there is construction in downtown right now so a portion of one of the main highways is closed.

There is a decent amount to do around Knoxville. I would stick with the strip (Cumberland Ave) or around the Old City... some of downtown can be a little sketchy.

has anyone NOT heard from them? Or, has anyone been rejected? I live in New England, so it might take a little bit longer for the mail to reach me, but I'm getting nervous!

has anyone NOT heard from them? Or, has anyone been rejected? I live in New England, so it might take a little bit longer for the mail to reach me, but I'm getting nervous!

I haven't heard anything from them either. I'm from NJ. Maybe tomorrow?:xf:

I just got my interview invite in the mail today! I'm OOS (Texas!) and I'm super excited about Tennessee :D It's weird though, I talked to admissions on Friday and they informed me that they were sending out invites the first week of March, so this was definitely an unexpected (yet VERY welcome) surprise!!

Middle Georgia - annnnnd nothing. Makes me nervous...:scared:

I'm getting a little nervous that they're sending out rejections second to interview invitations. eeek, i'm scurred.:confused:

There are a ton of hotels along the road between the airport and the school. If you are flying in that would be your best bet. I interviewed here twice before I got in and I stayed along rt 129 the first year and it was much easier for me to find my way to the school. The second year I stayed down on Henley st which is more downtown and I had to have them draw me a map on how to find the school cause it was kind of confusing and there is construction in downtown right now so a portion of one of the main highways is closed.

There is a decent amount to do around Knoxville. I would stick with the strip (Cumberland Ave) or around the Old City... some of downtown can be a little sketchy.

Market Square! I think it's way less sketchy than Old City!

No news for me either (in NYC).

I just got my interview invite in the mail today and it was post-marked th 23rd so they jut sent some out on monday. I'm IS by the way.