Texas Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matched to UTH! My dream schoool! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about the waitlist as well, I matched to my #2. Don't get me wrong though, I am still ecstatic to have SOMEWHERE to go :)

Most schools automatically put you on the wait list and will start pulling as soon as seats become available. If there is a particular school you want to know about give it a day or 2 for things in the admin office to cool down and give them a call and ask.

Congrats everyone! Seems like we've been though a long journey together.... so glad we made it though! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If we got matched, does that basically mean we got accepted? Sorry for asking a basic question, I just can't find that info really anywhere.

Thanks! Awesome! And the schools will just send us a formal acceptance later?

Congrats to everyone that matched! How does one go about getting back a deposit if we matched at a higher ranked school than where we pre-matched?

Congrats to everyone that matched! How does one go about getting back a deposit if we matched at a higher ranked school than where we pre-matched?

Out of curiosity, which school makes you put down a deposit to hold your pre-match offer? I thought it was usually a deposit for whichever school you pick in May

Out of curiosity, which school makes you put down a deposit to hold your pre-match offer? I thought it was usually a deposit for whichever school you pick in May
tech

I just matched to UTMB, which I'm happy about, but I was honestly hoping a little more for UTSA since I have lived there before and love the city (the school's probation scares me a little though). Should I expect to get a letter of rejection soon from them, or is it possible at all that I was waitlisted? Is there any recourse?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just matched to UTMB, which I'm happy about, but I was honestly hoping a little more for UTSA since I have lived there before and love the city (the school's probation scares me a little though). Should I expect to get a letter of rejection soon from them, or is it possible at all that I was waitlisted? Is there any recourse?

History suggests that you're probably just waitlisted at this point.

*ahem.. I would gladly take your UTMB seat hehe.. So here's to hoping UTSA accepts you off of the waitlist soon! :D

How do you all feel about UTSA's probation? Does it scare anyone?

As long as they make the necessary changes it should be ok. UTMB gave UTSA their curriculum so they should be almost identical next year, meaning UTSA should be moving towards more being PBL based and focusing a lot more on self learning

How do you all feel about UTSA's probation? Does it scare anyone?

No, not after investigating the reasons for it. "Probation" is actually a really unfortunate word that they have to use, since it implies some kind of major deficiency or trend of sub-standard outcomes, which is not the case at all. The quality of research, faculty, and students is and always has been quite good.

From what I gather, in 2003 or so the LCME came out and said to all med schools: "We feel that the curricula everyone used in the '80s and '90s can be improved upon by having students spend less time in lecture, more time doing self-learning/group stuff/PBL, and some other stuff". That is why many schools have been moving in that direction, at least to some extent, over the past decade. It seems like San Antonio dragged their feet because they liked what they had ("If it ain't broke..") and finally wore out the LCME's patience. Part of it was also that their dean left in 2008 and that kinda put any plans to change the curriculum on the back burner. In any case this is the first year the LCME seems to be really cracking down on this (it went on to put several other schools on probation after UTHSCSA for similar reasons).

Also for what it's worth, the LCME can put schools on probation (or at least "ding" them) for things like not having robust enough affirmative action policies in place and not having enough square-footage of on-campus study space per student. So yeah...

As of now, they've already addressed 2 of the 3 things the LCME wanted fixed--they had to do with administration hierarchy and who reported to whom. Once the new curriculum begins this Fall, all of the LCME's concerns will have been addressed. There are no fundamental problems or malignancies plaguing the school. Their hospitals are financially secure and the school has good relationships with them (University Hospital is ranked as one of the 50 best in the country, I believe).

The bottom line is that anyone who is familiar with UTHSCSA knows that the doctors coming out of there are excellent. The probation is publicly embarrassing, yes, and the administration should have been more proactive about not letting this happen, but your education there will be very good and residency directors will not discriminate against you one bit for it (plus the school will have been off probation for at least 2 years by the time you apply for residency).

I've got a general question that I'm hoping someone can answer! I'm waitlisted at one school and matched at another. It would be nice to have a choice to go to the waitlist school if I come off of the waitlist. However, I got my acceptance form to sign from the school I matched with.

I know that through a certain time in May, a person can come off of a waitlist and accept the spot there, forfeiting their match school. Is this still possible if I sign and return the acceptance form? I may decide to stay at my match school anyways, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that decision just yet!

Hope that wasn't too confusing..... thanks in advance for responses!

I've got a general question that I'm hoping someone can answer! I'm waitlisted at one school and matched at another. It would be nice to have a choice to go to the waitlist school if I come off of the waitlist. However, I got my acceptance form to sign from the school I matched with.

I know that through a certain time in May, a person can come off of a waitlist and accept the spot there, forfeiting their match school. Is this still possible if I sign and return the acceptance form? I may decide to stay at my match school anyways, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that decision just yet!

Yes, sign the form, accept the offer.

If you get off the waitlist you will have the choice.

Yes, sign the form- your not committed to that school, just keeping a place. When you get off the wait list you can just email/send in a letter declining the spot :luck:

What if it's after May? After May do they no longer pull people that Matched off other waitlists?

What if it's after May? After May do they no longer pull people that Matched off other waitlists?

from June 1st if you already have a place at a school, you can't get another offer- but by May15th if you have more than 1 acceptance you have to relinquish it... so I assume btw the 2 dates is when most of the waitlist mvt will happen.

Okay, so I have a hypothetical..

Say, I have matched at my #2 school but I'm put on the waitlist at my #1 school.. If I'm not taken off the waitlist at my #1 school BY May 15th then I am obligated to go my #2 school and am taken off the waitlist for my #1 school?

Sorry, just trying to be clear. :(

Say, I have matched at my #2 school but I'm put on the waitlist at my #1 school.. If I'm not taken off the waitlist at my #1 school BY May 15th then I am obligated to go my #2 school and am taken off the waitlist for my #1 school?

I think that's correct except you also have the option to go to any AMCAS school you have been accepted to as well. I think the deadline is the same however.

Think it's by June 1st. You can't gat another Texas offer after June 1st.

I've posted this in the Republic of Texas thread, but got no responses. I'm just wondering, for those of you who matched, when are ya'll going to start to look for housing?

Probably around Spring Break time. That's when more schools (specifically the so-called "non-rolling" schools) will have sent out the majority of their acceptances so people will have a more solid idea where they are headed in the Fall.

This is my plan btw.. I guess it's also my opinion.

I'm going to start seriously looking in April. I've got a family and we need an actual house to rent. Many, if not most, rentals on the market right now will be gone by the summer, so it is pointless to start looking too hard before 2-3 months before you want to move in.

But if I were single and just needed an apartment, or one room in a shared apartment, I'd start looking as soon as I knew with 95% surety where I was going. A lot of the most popular/best apartments fill up fast or have a waitlist. If you know where you're going, start looking at apartment complex websites today.

I've posted this in the Republic of Texas thread, but got no responses. I'm just wondering, for those of you who matched, when are ya'll going to start to look for housing?

Probably after 2nd look (so I can hear current students' opinions about the best housing options).

I've already gone ahead and submitted my deposit for UTH housing. I really want student housing :D

I came to Dallas to look in May before my first year and that was still a little early. Most people are required to give 60 day notices before they move out so the apartment complexes don't really know what availability they will have more than 60 days in advance. Student housing is a different story though--apply ASAP because those always fill up quickly.

Does anyone have any information about UTSA's alternate list? How do we know if we are on it?

has anyone else gotten really lazy in their current classes since getting accepted?:smuggrin:

Just curious, up to how much are you guys planning to spend on housing every month for rent/mortgage? I figure I'll be looking around the $750 range, but go up to $1000 if something catches my eye.

I've been waitlisted (assumed) at San Antonio and Houston but have received no emails from either school. has anyone else heard back?

Just curious, up to how much are you guys planning to spend on housing every month for rent/mortgage? I figure I'll be looking around the $750 range, but go up to $1000 if something catches my eye.

We'll see what financial aid has to say about that :laugh:

I've been waitlisted (assumed) at San Antonio and Houston but have received no emails from either school. has anyone else heard back?

From last year's threads, I've read that some schools send out emails near the end of February / March, while some schools don't tell you anything at all.

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Galveston? I heard that people who matched need to inform utmb by feb. 15th because they are still sending out acceptances!!

any waitlist movement?

UT-H waitlist movement earlier this month according to people on UT-H thread, but no one has posted they have gotten accepted.

UTSW waitlist movement for sure, about 3 people from SDN have been accepted off the waitlist recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.