Texas Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just wanted to clarify this. If I got a pre-match offer and that is the school I want to attend, I list them as number 1 on the match? Also, we go ahead and rank the rest of the schools below that? My pre-med advisor is at a school not in Texas and so I've had to figure out all of the match stuff on my own. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes. You only list schools where you were interviewed (not just invited) and have not withdrawn. If any of those schools (where you interviewed) is a better match for you, you should list them above. However, if you dream school offered you a pre-match, congratulations, you just need to list that school #1 with other schools below. For you, the Texas match is a formality.

Do people mind sharing their match preference? Sorry for hijacking the post, but the title is really appropriate. And the guy above has exactly answered your question :) My match list is:

UTSW
UTH
UTMB
UTSA

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure!

UTSW
UTH
UTSA
UTMB

Pre-matched to UTSW but this is how I'd rank if I didn't pre-match.

Sorry to borrow your thread to confirm this question.

If I rank school A #1 and school B (prematched) #2 and in case I don't get match to school A on Feb. 1st, I still have my seat at school B right?

Sorry to borrow your thread to confirm this question.

If I rank school A #1 and school B (prematched) #2 and in case I don't get match to school A on Feb. 1st, I still have my seat at school B right?

Yes

UTH
UTMB
UTSW
El Paso
UTSA

Thank you. I'm just being paranoid about losing an acceptance :oops:

Now that you are into a school, you are going to be a doctor. All the match is going to do is to determine where you will go to school (not IF you will go to school). The only way you can lose your acceptance now is to seriously screw up academically or legally between now and next fall. There is no way you can rank the schools that will cost you your acceptance. You are in. :D:D

NEED advice on ranking A&M,UTSA,TECH ,ELPASO and TCOM. What are chances of matching on each (no prematch) Thanks

NEED advice on ranking A&M,UTSA,TECH ,ELPASO and TCOM. What are chances of matching on each (no prematch) Thanks

Hahahaha. Hahahaha. Hahahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTH
UTSW

prematched at other schools but withdrew because I knew I had no intention of attending them once i prematched to UTH

I see so many people putting UTH before UTSW. I've been struggling with that decision for quite a while now. This makes me want to just go and change my ranking list and put UTH as o. 1 :D

No real reason, UTSW just seemed a bit uppity and full of themselves on interview day.

True. They did seem a little full of themselves. But they kinda do have a huge reputation throughout the country as well.

Pre-matched to UTSW but this is how I'd rank if I didn't pre-match.

btw you still have to rank your schools even if you've been prematched to your no.1 school. "This is how I'd rank if I didn't prematch" made me feel that you were thinking otherwise. Just thought I'd point that out just in case.

True. They did seem a little full of themselves. But they kinda do have a huge reputation throughout the country as well.

Even as an in-state student, i didn't consider any other texas school but Baylor. UTSW is a great choice. I am biased because i am a grad student here and prematched here already but you truly can't compare the leg up utsw has over the other Texas state schools, c'mon yes we like our numbers, but we've worked hard to get the strong research and clinical reputation we have, don't let the "showing-off" on interview day deter you

I see so many people putting UTH before UTSW. I've been struggling with that decision for quite a while now. This makes me want to just go and change my ranking list and put UTH as o. 1 :D

Or you could, you know, decide for yourself.

It depends on how you look at it. Each school tries its best to sell itself and I do not see anything wrong with emphasizing its best points. UTH for example spends an inoordinate amount of time talking about its link to the medical center; that is what it considers its main attraction. UTSW has the same right to brag about Nobel laureates, great research, high reputation, etc if that helps attract the best and brightest students.

Nobody is going to say "I consider my chances of getting into UTSW rather low and I do not want to take the risk at match; so I will rank another school higher." They will come up with some other excuse. Just sayin'.

Nobody is going to say "I consider my chances of getting into UTSW rather low and I do not want to take the risk at match; so I will rank another school higher." They will come up with some other excuse. Just sayin'.

That's probably good that no one is going to say that, since that isn't how match works at all.

If i didnt prematch already, i'd encourage others to rank utsw lower to increase my chances of getting someone else's spot. Just sayin' :D

I put UTMB #1. Did not like the students at UTSW or the curriculum at UTH.

Need help deciding between A&M and UTMB......I've researched the pros and cons from students of years past, but still on the fence....

btw you still have to rank your schools even if you've been prematched to your no.1 school. "This is how I'd rank if I didn't prematch" made me feel that you were thinking otherwise. Just thought I'd point that out just in case.

Thank you! I did rank them, I guess I worded that wrong.

The reason I picked UTSW over UTH is because I didn't like the test schedule at UTH. I actually loved the interview day at UTSW and thought they did the best job out of any school. Also, UTH pushes the TMC but (from what I've heard) you actually don't get to utilize it as much as they make it seem. And then there is the fact that UTSW is a nationally known school which, despite what some people are going to say, does have some impact when applying for certain residencies. Just thought I'd put my two cents in :)

UTMB has much higher USMLE scores than A&M.

So does it mean I will get a higher USMLE score if I go to UTMB instead of A&M? How much higher? No, I think it is based more on personal effort.

Need help deciding between A&M and UTMB......I've researched the pros and cons from students of years past, but still on the fence....

If the name is more important for you, I think UTMB's rank a little higher than A&M. If you don't care about the name, then think about the curriculum, the location etc. A&M has more flexibility because of different campuses, doesn't matter what campus you choose, you can always move around the campuses to do the rotations you want. UTMB is more PBL and entirely integrated with half day schedule while A&M doesn't start the integrated part until 2nd semester of 1st year. It uses letter grade and does rank you in the class, I don't think UTMB does these.

Go with where you feel the happiest.

...unless I decide to change something by tomorrow at 5:00 PM ... :smuggrin:

Last edited:
So does it mean I will get a higher USMLE score if I go to UTMB instead of A&M? How much higher? No, I think it is based more on personal effort.

Maybe students who live in college station or temple spend too much time thinking about how terrible college station and temple are instead of studying.

Everybody complains about UTMB's PBL integrated curriculum.......I do like the half days schedule, but that ultimately means you need to develop more time to self study. I think A&M has class from 9am to 330pm (or atleast thats what one of the students there told me). I'm assuming a curriculum like this is better for people with not so strong self study habits.

Galveston is not the best place to live, however when it boils down to it...I'm looking at the students quality of life and effectiveness of the curriculum more than anything else. Both schools have block schedules, however I'm a little unclear of how A&M's exams are structured.

Everybody complains about UTMB's PBL integrated curriculum.......I do like the half days schedule, but that ultimately means you need to develop more time to self study. I think A&M has class from 9am to 330pm (or atleast thats what one of the students there told me). I'm assuming a curriculum like this is better for people with not so strong self study habits.

Galveston is not the best place to live, however when it boils down to it...I'm looking at the students quality of life and effectiveness of the curriculum more than anything else. Both schools have block schedules, however I'm a little unclear of how A&M's exams are structured.

I am not sure about the individual exams at A&M but I think they are on the computer instead of paper and pencil. They do take the NBME exams which said to be similar to USMLE. The students told me that the 4th NBME covers the first two years which will tell you where you stand before start studying for Step I.

I like the half day schedule too but it doesn't mean we will have free time. One of the interviewers told me that the students use that time to research about the cases presented in the small group PBL so they can discuss it at the next meeting. I love the school itself on the interview day, I think the people were very nice and laid back but I am not sure about living there for 4 years either.

Im in the same boat as you ALMD. However, I was told that the pass/fail vs grades for blocks really doesnt make a difference in the long haul. The school still has to submit your rank to residency directors regardless.....so in essence it seems its better to be delivered letter grades so you actually know how well you are doing in your classes vs just knowing if you passed or not. Am I wrong?

Im in the same boat as you ALMD. However, I was told that the pass/fail vs grades for blocks really doesnt make a difference in the long haul. The school still has to submit your rank to residency directors regardless.....so in essence it seems its better to be delivered letter grades so you actually know how well you are doing in your classes vs just knowing if you passed or not. Am I wrong?

even if you're taking courses pass/fail, you still get grades back.

A&M (Prob Hail Mary with only 6/7 matches going out but what the heck I've been praying alot!)
UTMB
TCOM (prematched)
EL PASO
LUBBOCK

I dont understand how people keep talking about choosing a medical school based on its prestige, name, or national rank. I've talked to numerous doctors who straight up told me to go to where its "cheapest" because in the end it doesnt matter in the least where you graduated from. It doesnt even make a difference much to what residency you're accepted to either. I've had an in depth interview with a plastic surgeon who was on the board of admissions for UTSW residencies and he said he wouldnt care in the least if somebody graduated from Harvard vs a low ranked medical school, what really matters is your stats and that's really what their looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont understand how people keep talking about choosing a medical school based on its prestige, name, or national rank. I've talked to numerous doctors who straight up told me to go to where its "cheapest" because in the end it doesnt matter in the least where you graduated from. It doesnt even make a difference much to what residency you're accepted to either. I've had an in depth interview with a plastic surgeon who was on the board of admissions for UTSW residencies and he said he wouldnt care in the least if somebody graduated from Harvard vs a low ranked medical school, what really matters is your stats and that's really what their looking for.

if you want to go into academia or get involved in lucrative research, I think it is pretty important to go to an institution with a good reputation.

you also have to consider the things that come along with a highly ranked institution:
-student body w/ high cognitive abilities (you know, the people you're going to be studying with everyday..)
-lots of funding for research
-demonstrated success for producing some of the best physicians in the world
-ability to attract amazing professors
-more likely to have a larger budget to give you money for school, free meals, etc

if it really didn't matter which med school you went to, there wouldn't be a stigma against those who choose to become pirates (you know, in the Caribbean).

if you want to go into academia or get involved in lucrative research, I think it is pretty important to go to an institution with a good reputation.

you also have to consider the things that come along with a highly ranked institution:
-student body w/ high cognitive abilities (you know, the people you're going to be studying with everyday..)
-lots of funding for research
-demonstrated success for producing some of the best physicians in the world
-ability to attract amazing professors
-more likely to have a larger budget to give you money for school, free meals, etc

if it really didn't matter which med school you went to, there wouldn't be a stigma against those who choose to become pirates (you know, in the Caribbean).

I'm talking only about medical schools in the states, I know all about the disadvantages of attending Caribbean med schools, trust me. All things being equal however, nobody is going to get that competitive residency based purely on the name of the school they attend, period. Your grades and step 1 contribute more than any other factor.

I'm talking only about medical schools in the states, I know all about the disadvantages of attending Caribbean med schools, trust me. All things being equal however, nobody is going to get that competitive residency based purely on the name of the school they attend, period. Your grades and step 1 contribute more than any other factor.

Well you're right. You will not receive a competitive residency spot based purely on the name of the school. But lets say theres two candidates with pretty much the exact same grades and numbers. lets say one was from Harvard and the other from some random medical school. For competitive programs everyone wlil have the numbers, people with a 220 on their USMLE will not be applying to dermatology. Most of the people applying to the ocmpetitive stuff will have pretty amazing numbers, and a good name brand school can be one of the differentiating features for a person.

yes, but being at the top of your class at a low-ranked school vs being at the top of your class at one of the highest ranked schools in the country is definitely going to make a difference.

in addition, as I was trying to imply before, a higher ranked institution might offer something that helps its students become successful. for example, schools that have better step 1 scores might have those scores because they teach the material better. yes, you can look it from this perspective- "my scores are what really matters, not where I go" but you need to realize that different institutions have different cultures and different attitudes towards nearly everything.

I am ranking UTSW 1st. I am from Dallas, it has a good reputation, good step 1 scores, the faculty have all been receptive and kind, the research that goes on there is amazing, the clinical training is excellent.

am I ranking it 1st simply because it has the highest ranking on us world news report? No, but it is a nice cherry on top of everything the school has to offer

ranking isn't everything, but you have to keep in mind that schools do earn good reputations for a reason.

yes, but being at the top of your class at a low-ranked school vs being at the top of your class at one of the highest ranked schools in the country is definitely going to make a difference.

But being at the top of a higher ranked school is that much harder. When one is surrounded by some of the smartest people in the country, one can feel pretty average. And the fact that 75% of UTSW's matriculating class last year had a 3.9+ is pretty intimidating.

But being at the top of a higher ranked school is that much harder. When one is surrounded by some of the smartest people in the country, one can feel pretty average. And the fact that 75% of UTSW's matriculating class last year had a 3.9+ is pretty intimidating.

that was my point...

Actually this is not entirely true, UTMB only has a slightly higher average USLME this past cycle according to my sources. I believe I was told UTMB step 1 average was 232 and A&M had 228 ( but dont quote me exactly). I just remember UTMB having only a couple points over A&M's average step score.

UTMB has much higher USMLE scores than A&M.

Well, all the schools in Texas basically have the same cost of attendance, so that's not really at play here :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.