2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like emailing UDM would kinda be against your chances bc I think they don't like to be bothered a lot. I might be wrong however showing interest towards them doesn't really help.

My pre dental advisor said to send such letters and also during my interview at NOVA they said to do it as well ( but to the head of admissions ). I think it helps especially if you are close to the top of WL. Also it is important that your letter has some new information in it, some deciding factor. I do not think it hurts your chances but do not do it more than twice. Best to send it by regular mail as well, can you imaging them receiving 600 of such letters by e-mail?. Do they have manpower to even open and read them all?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten a call? I wonder if they started calling people of the waitlist yet, since the March 15 deposit deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten a call? I wonder if they started calling people of the waitlist yet, since the March 15 deposit deadline.
my classmate got a call yesterday from UDM but declined since she is going to NOVA.
& I got invite for interview from Case Western today at 8am but I declined it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS/Canadian students,

Where are y'all looking to live during the school year?

Canadian over here! I'm still debating between whether I want to live in Windsor or Detroit. It would be nice to live in Canada, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of crossing the border every day. Have you decided yet?

Canadian over here! I'm still debating between whether I want to live in Windsor or Detroit. It would be nice to live in Canada, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of crossing the border every day. Have you decided yet?
I will be attending NOVA but if I were at UDM I would live close to school in Detroit since there will be lots of hard work 1st year, after that you may get with touch with other Canadian students and decide . Many Canadians decide to live in Windsor in 2nd and 3rd year.

I decided to live in Windsor for the following reasons:

1. Cheaper - Most of the places I've seen on Kijiji are priced around 500CAD ~ 380USD. Rent is usually more expensive in Detroit compared to surrounding areas such as Royal Oak. Most people live outside of Detroit since it's safer, but you'll have to commute ~20-30 minutes each way. This is the same amount of time it might take you to commute from Windsor. However, you'll have to pay roughly around 10CAD per day on tolls if you live in Windsor, which is around 200CAD per month but if you carpool with other Canadians you can significantly reduce the total cost. Take a look at places in Windsor, Detroit, and surrounding areas and compare the costs. If you have a NEXUS card, you'll have no issues at the boarder - which I have been told by many Canadian UDM students. You might have to leave earlier than usual on the days you have exams just in case so you're not late.

2. Peace of mind - I want to get accustomed to dental school/America first. It'll make my transition easier if I do decide to move afterwards.

3. Car insurance - If you're planning on living in Michigan, you'll need US car insurance and depending where you live (i.e Detroit) it can be pretty expensive. Michigan, in general, has expensive car insurance rates as it requires drivers to have no-fault car insurance. I don't know how many Canadian students follow this rule, but you could get into a sticky situation if you ever get into a car accident. Double check this.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they have a page for us to connect with people? I'd like to figure out living arrangements (sorry I know this is a bit off topic).

Does anyone know if they have a page for us to connect with people? I'd like to figure out living arrangements (sorry I know this is a bit off topic).
Have you tried the facebook group? There's a lot of people discussing living arrangements and things like that over there.

Have you tried the facebook group? There's a lot of people discussing living arrangements and things like that over there.
I got an invite to the group sent by a kind person last night. Thank you ^_^

Anyone contacted admissions recently, or know approximately how large the waitlist is now? Just dreaming of getting off the waitlist over here!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think the chances are that someone gets accepted off of the WL at this point? Should I send a letter of intent?

ADEA rules: by April 15 you must commit to only 1 school if you were accepted, you mat not hold numerous spots.
are you referring to this policy?
Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on April 1 of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable timeframe to complete their enrollment process.

how does this apply to people with 1 acceptance and 1 wait list?, I assume it doesn't take into effect until you get off the waitlist no?

Did anyone receive a Conditional Acceptance Background Check Request? I thought we already did the background check before applying?

Did anyone receive a Conditional Acceptance Background Check Request? I thought we already did the background check before applying?
I called certifi and apparently the login on the email is done on their old website and udm sent a link for us to make accounts on their 2.0 website which doesn't overlap with the old one. I tried calling the school but they left for the day. Calling tomorrow to see what exactly needs done.

I called certifi and apparently the login on the email is done on their old website and udm sent a link for us to make accounts on their 2.0 website which doesn't overlap with the old one. I tried calling the school but they left for the day. Calling tomorrow to see what exactly needs done.

Thanks for letting me know. Please let me know what they say if you call them tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know. Please let me know what they say if you call them tomorrow.[/QUOT
So I called and they said we already did it before the interview. We don't have to do anything. Not sure why we got this email. If someone wants to call again later to confirm this that would be awesome. This might push admissions to email us all to confirm. Oh and I don't know if you guys know but I called a couple of days ago and we will be getting another package of papers in May.

I still haven't gotten into the FB account so if anyone is in it could they let the person who runs it know that a person is waiting to get into the group?

Does anyone know if waitlist movement going on?

Reactions: 4 users
I will be withdrawing my waitlist spot! Good luck to all those still waiting, I hope you get in somewhere!

It's been awfully quiet....

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone gotten an email back from the admissions after sending them a letter of intent email?
just curious as to whether they actually look at those..
I sent them to Danielle Harris as well as dr. Jeffers but didn't get any reply back.
just hoping I get a call before I apply for the second cycle...

Also got a phone call of acceptance this morning. Will be declining my offer. Good luck to everyone!!!

Also got a phone call of acceptance this morning. Will be declining my offer. Good luck to everyone!!!
do you mind sharing your stats? and are u in state or out of state? thanks!

Hey everyone, I got accepted to UDM back in December but I am not even entirely sure if I can attend this year due to financial reasons. I want to attend this year so badly :(
Having said that, does anyone know whether admission can be deferred for one year?

Hey everyone, I got accepted to UDM back in December but I am not even entirely sure if I can attend this year due to financial reasons. I want to attend this year so badly :(
Having said that, does anyone know whether admission can be deferred for one year?
I am not 100% sure, you will have to call. But I think during my interview someone asked that question and the answer was no. But again you don't know till you call in. I hope you can!

Will be declining my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.