The Republic of Texas XXII: Because the Union Joined Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very random post...but made me laugh. That is one of my favorite beers of all time. However, I finally found it in the store a couple months ago, and realized I could only drink a couple before they were too sweet....and I also got made fun of for drinking it????

They can't afford it.

Shiner is probably my favorite brewery. But has anyone tried a beer from CO called Blue Moon? If you get it on tap it's served with an orange slice and has a thick orange tint to it. It's probably my new favorite beer.

Yeah, and some of their seasonals too. IIRC, they add orange peel and coriander to it. Its an unfiltered wheat beer put out by Molson-Coors.

For some reason I really like Landshark. Part of its the aroma I think, really enhances it for me. Maybe its because I actually do live on an island haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and some of their seasonals too. IIRC, they add orange peel and coriander to it. Its an unfiltered wheat beer put out by Molson-Coors.

It actually was not originally made by Coors. They just bought it a couple of years ago. It's actually a Belgian beer.

It does however have orange peel and coriander.

Anyone ever had 1554, by New Belgium? It's the same company that makes Fat Tire. Oh my that stuff is delicious. It's a black ale, so it's nice and earthy but not too strong. Kind of like a darker version of Newcastle. Definitely my favorite beer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone ever had 1554, by New Belgium? It's the same company that makes Fat Tire. Oh my that stuff is delicious. It's a black ale, so it's nice and earthy but not too strong. Kind of like a darker version of Newcastle. Definitely my favorite beer.

For those of you who are thinking A&M in Temple, there is a good bar called O'Briens Irish Pub. I think they have 50 different beers on tap or something like that. I like going in there and trying all the different dark beer...the kind you have to cut with a knife to drink.

For those of you who are thinking A&M in Temple, there is a good bar called O'Briens Irish Pub. I think they have 50 different beers on tap or something like that. I like going in there and trying all the different dark beer...the kind you have to cut with a knife to drink.
There's also BJ's Brewhouse, which is a chain, but they brew their own beers. They're not horrible.

Shiner Bock was the first beer I drank that I could actually stand. If any of you live near a Flying Saucer, you should go check it out. There's a club where you try to drink 200 different types of beer.

I highly recommend Fireman's 4 by Real Ale. It's a pale ale. It use to only be available on draft, but it is in bottles now and very good.

There's also BJ's Brewhouse, which is a chain, but they brew their own beers. They're not horrible.

Shiner Bock was the first beer I drank that I could actually stand. If any of you live near a Flying Saucer, you should go check it out. There's a club where you try to drink 200 different types of beer.

I always get the tasters from BJs. Never have gone wrong with them.

Anyone think the schools will give people "something else" to be thankful for tomorrow?

Anyone think the schools will give people "something else" to be thankful for tomorrow?

That would imply someone working on Turkey Day...I would hope not! I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm anxious as all get out, but this is America, and we love us some Turkey! :love:

I got a Baylor Acceptance phone call this morning.

I had an abstract to the big MR conference Hawaii submitted - how do I go about updating that to my file? Do I email the admissions team? Do I deal directly with TMDSAS? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently UTHSCSA sent out another batch today. I just got one!!
Whoop class of 2013!
:luck::luck:

I had an abstract to the big MR conference Hawaii submitted - how do I go about updating that to my file? Do I email the admissions team? Do I deal directly with TMDSAS? Any ideas?

Ask John Calvin ;)

Ask John Calvin ;)

I tend to avoid the advice of individuals telling me I am completely depraved because two naked people 6,000 years ago in an mythical garden ate an apple by the advice of a snake...but hey, maybe I am just predestined to think so :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if there is a UTSW class of 2013 thread, or somewhere where people accepted to UTSW are hanging out?

NEVERMIND: found it!

'Grats, folks.

Anyone heard from A&M this week? I dunno if they'll be open Friday or not.

'Grats, folks.

Anyone heard from A&M this week? I dunno if they'll be open Friday or not.

My guess is no. TAMU is closed Friday and I'm assuming the HSC is following suit. Even Burger King is closed Friday. :laugh:

My guess is no. TAMU is closed Friday and I'm assuming the HSC is following suit. Even Burger King is closed Friday. :laugh:
well I guess that makes sense.. all of those students can't eat on campus, so you close down to make sure they don't overload you.

I guess the UTHSCSA batch must not have been real big....bc not many people are claiming an acceptance today ?

I'm going to see Four Christmases today- hope it's good.
FYI- Tech in Lubbock sent an interview invite to me today. Since I already have a prematch spot, I'll decline this interview invitation. Hopefully, someone else in our Texas group will get it and do awesome at the interview.

I have an interview at A&M and I was wondering about the "second look" day to the other campus. Is it a bad thing if you don't go? I don't think I can make it on any of the days they have open and I was wondering if like the adcomms would know about this and maybe see it as lack of interest?

Does anyone know if people have posted pre-match acceptances to UTHouston ?

AtG

yes they have... i think only a handful of people here on SDN have gotten UTH acceptances, prob aroun 10 or so.

I have an interview at A&M and I was wondering about the "second look" day to the other campus. Is it a bad thing if you don't go? I don't think I can make it on any of the days they have open and I was wondering if like the adcomms would know about this and maybe see it as lack of interest?

no, you dont have to go. it might help if you show interest if youre a borderline candidate in their eyes but i didnt go and was accepted. :luck:

Well, hope everyone had a delightful turkey day... myself, now that I'm out of my placebo-rific L-tryptophan coma, I kind of want next week to come. Weekdays still have the potential of good tidings and joy, eh?

Well, hope everyone had a delightful turkey day... myself, now that I'm out of my placebo-rific L-tryptophan coma, I kind of want next week to come. Weekdays still have the potential of good tidings and joy, eh?

I am so on the same page with you. I look forward to weekdays more than weekends these days...it's kind of pathetic. :rolleyes:

no, you dont have to go. it might help if you show interest if youre a borderline candidate in their eyes but i didnt go and was accepted. :luck:
I think I am a borderline candidate, and I want to go, but I just don't think I can swing it in between exams and work and what not. :(

So... I have a question but I'm not sure if it's up there with LMFU over-analysis.

Did any of you get the UTMB acceptance packet? On your return envelope, is there a red fireworks stamp in the bottom corner? What do you think that means? Hmm.

Does anyone know if people have posted pre-match acceptances to UTHouston ?

AtG

More than likely very few (relatively), like someone else said. I was actually just talking to the dean the other day and she was emphasizing how much they love the match, so houston will probably one of the few schools that has a significant amount of their acceptances from the match.

i didn't sign up for a sceond look and i got an acceptance, so i don't think that's a problem. They are aware that we have other things on our plates.

I did kind of let it drop that i'd be returning to west texas, implying that, i just can't make so many frequent trips.

So... I have a question but I'm not sure if it's up there with LMFU over-analysis.

Did any of you get the UTMB acceptance packet? On your return envelope, is there a red fireworks stamp in the bottom corner? What do you think that means? Hmm.

I got my UTMB packet, and I didn't notice it when I was flipping through, but I also have a firework stamp. Maybe it is their way of taking us back to kindergarten and making us feel good about ourselves with a stamp?!?

Or maybe it is because we are the coolest people ever in the history of the world.

I bet it is one of those two.

It is so sad... I got my UTMB packet today and there is a 97.238554% chance that I will not go there, but I really loved the school... but Stupid Ike had to come along and destroy it....:(:mad::mad::(

*sigh* I feel bad because I really loved the school... it had everything that I wanted at a med school, and their BSIV lab was AWESOME...*sigh*

It is so sad... I got my UTMB packet today and there is a 97.238554% chance that I will not go there, but I really loved the school... but Stupid Ike had to come along and destroy it....:(:mad::mad::(

*sigh* I feel bad because I really loved the school... it had everything that I wanted at a med school, and their BSIV lab was AWESOME...*sigh*

How did you calculate that out to six decimal places?

But yeah, I totally feel you. I was very excited about their school heading into this process, but I can't justify going there over another excellent school that isn't facing their uncertainty. Ditto for El Paso; I loved their school while I interviewed there and I think they're going to be a great school with a really supportive faculty and cutting-edge research, but nobody knows what's really going to happen there. I'm still going to attend UTMB's reception in Austin in a couple of weeks and probably give Dr. Schydelower a call at El Paso, just to make sure I get all of the info before I make my decision, but I'd have to say that as of right now only UTSW, and maybe UTHSCSA (hometown), might persuade me not to go to Baylor.

Again, I really like UTMB and El Paso (you should've seen me jumping up and down when I got into those places), and anyone who winds up going there will get great educations, I'm sure.

How did you calculate that out to six decimal places?

It was a simple algorithm where I took the sixth root of the square of the hyperbolic quadratic and can you tell that I do not know anything about math...

I just put my hand on the middle of the keypad and pushed random number keys...

But yah, I agree with the sadness that is in their uncertainty...

Don't feel sad...your spot's gonna go to me, remember??? :D:D:D:D

I remember... which is why I have not declined it yet!;)

Just call them up Monday and give them the low down. I'm sure they would be thrilled to do a little trade, keep their accepted/matriculated ratio low. Ya know, really, we're just helping THEM out! :laugh:

I so wish that was possible.

Boys, boys...no fighting!! Ya know, one of you could just keep your spot and then you could go to school with me. ;)

Boys, boys...no fighting!! Ya know, one of you could just keep your spot and then you could go to school with me. ;)

Hmmm good point... though I think I'd have trouble explaining to my girlfriend how I decided on which med school to go to based on where another girl was going ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.