The Republic of Texas XXII: Because the Union Joined Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never realized people were this obsessed with Dallas...

Quick poll: Dallas or Houston?

I personally liked Dallas better... Houston is too crowded and has too many highrises... if I want this, then I will go to New York or Pittsburgh... I liked the wide open spaces that Dallas had.. and it also has UTSW;)

Dallas, IMO, is quite elitist and materialistic. I grew up there and lived there for the past few years. I personally hate it.

I thought I would hate Houston, until I actually spent some time here. It's much more diverse and interesting than I imagined it would be. There are also tons of good restaurants. I also like the proximity of Rice and Hermann park to the TMC, 2 good running trails right in the middle of the city.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatatool

Being called a tool by an Aggie physics major with a screen name paying homage to John Calvin...

Indeed!

potkettle_small.jpg

Dallas, IMO, is quite elitist and materialistic. I grew up there and lived there for the past few years. I personally hate it.

I thought I would hate Houston, until I actually spent some time here. It's much more diverse and interesting than I imagined it would be. There are also tons of good restaurants. I also like the proximity of Rice and Hermann park to the TMC, 2 good running trails right in the middle of the city.

Is it really and in what sense? I did not get that feeling, but granted, I was there for 3 days...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really and in what sense? I did not get that feeling, but granted, I was there for 3 days...

As always, it depends on where you are and who you associate with. There are parts of north Dallas (e.g. the Plano area) that definitely cater to the affluent. The area around UTSW, not so much.

I obviously can't speak for all of Dallas, but it's just a feeling that you get there. I mean I feel like everything is leaning towards the construction of upscale chain franchises and wearing the "right" clothes and driving the "right" car.

I would also get a lot of dirty looks when my husband (black) and I (white) would go out together.

I just personally felt that I didn't "fit" there.

As always, it depends on where you are and who you associate with. There are parts of north Dallas (e.g. the Plano area) that definitely cater to the affluent. The area around UTSW, not so much.

Hehe... that is where my relatives and family friends live...:rolleyes: Plus, it seemed very much like Orange County... which is where I currently live...:rolleyes:

I obviously can't speak for all of Dallas, but it's just a feeling that you get there. I mean I feel like everything is leaning towards the construction of upscale chain franchises and wearing the "right" clothes and driving the "right" car.

I would also get a lot of dirty looks when my husband (black) and I (white) would go out together.

I just personally felt that I didn't "fit" there.

Huh... interesting... well I am rather oblivious to other people (I sometimes tend to live in my own little world...), but thanks, because all of these things will factor into where I end up attending..

I would have to say Jolie hit the nail on the head (of course I admit I am biased being a happy Houstonian). My wife's aunt lives in Dallas, so we go up there fairly frequently, and what scares me the most about the city is just the general feel - its almost like the SoCal of Texas. A lot of money (i think its ranked amongst the top ten cities in the world for billionaires, or at least was at some point recently) and what bothers me, as did my visits to Nebraska and Kansas, is just how white the city is. You take an assortment of people from the mall, its very cookie-cutterish. I love houston's diversity - you really can find all walks of life, and see them filter through all socio-economic ranks.

Also, don't forget the importance of cost of living - Dallas ranks around a 97 while Houston is closer to an 81 - that adds up real quick, especially when you aren't bringing in any income except from loans.

I would have to say Jolie hit the nail on the head (of course I admit I am biased being a happy Houstonian). My wife's aunt lives in Dallas, so we go up there fairly frequently, and what scares me the most about the city is just the general feel - its almost like the SoCal of Texas. A lot of money (i think its ranked amongst the top ten cities in the world for billionaires, or at least was at some point recently) and what bothers me, as did my visits to Nebraska and Kansas, is just how white the city is. You take an assortment of people from the mall, its very cookie-cutterish. I love houston's diversity - you really can find all walks of life, and see them filter through all socio-economic ranks.

Also, don't forget the importance of cost of living - Dallas ranks around a 97 while Houston is closer to an 81 - that adds up real quick, especially when you aren't bringing in any income except from loans.

I can definitely, unequivocally say that this is NOT the case around UTSW. :)

:oops:I guess coming from SoCal where almost every city, is very ethnically diverse, I tend to forget that other places are not so...

But I thought Dallas was cheap to live in.... the housing prices seem VERY nice...

:oops:I guess coming from SoCal where almost every city, is very ethnically diverse, I tend to forget that other places are not so...

But I thought Dallas was cheap to live in.... the housing prices seem VERY nice...

Compared to SoCal, the housing prices in ALL of texas should seem very nice - Dallas is possibly one of the highest amongst the biggest cities. I guarantee my house (~140) would be atleast 250 in dallas, and probably close to a million in SoCal (over 2400 sq ft, correct me if I am wrong, don't know housing market in SoCal aside from quips from political pundits)

Galveston was cheap, started building up, prices rose significantly, and I don't know where they stand following the hurricane.

Austin is middle of the line.

San Antonio, from my experience, has the advantage of Houston in being quite a commuter city with really cheap housing on the outskirts.

I think college station has some of the cheapest in the state (Though, I am not actually certain if TAMU Med is in College Station or not :confused:). I know immediately following the mortgage collapse, when investors were selling, for significant losses, houses in california (~3-5 million), that one house was buying (LITERALLY) entire streets of houses in College Station.

It IS cheap to live in, it's just not necessarily cheap compared to other places in Texas. Texas as a whole has ridiculously low housing prices. Even if Dallas is slightly pricier than Houston, you're still getting a great deal compared to almost anywhere else in the country.

It IS cheap to live in, it's just not necessarily cheap compared to other places in Texas. Texas as a whole has ridiculously low housing prices. Even if Dallas is slightly pricier than Houston, you're still getting a great deal compared to almost anywhere else in the country.

Dead on :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Compared to SoCal, the housing prices in ALL of texas should seem very nice - Dallas is possibly one of the highest amongst the biggest cities. I guarantee my house (~140) would be atleast 250 in dallas, and probably close to a million in SoCal (over 2400 sq ft, correct me if I am wrong, don't know housing market in SoCal aside from quips from political pundits)

Galveston was cheap, started building up, prices rose significantly, and I don't know where they stand following the hurricane.

Austin is middle of the line.

San Antonio, from my experience, has the advantage of Houston in being quite a commuter city with really cheap housing on the outskirts.

I think college station has some of the cheapest in the state (Though, I am not actually certain if TAMU Med is in College Station or not :confused:). I know immediately following the mortgage collapse, when investors were selling, for significant losses, houses in california (~3-5 million), that one house was buying (LITERALLY) entire streets of houses in College Station.

I dont care if it is 250k or 400k... it seems very cheap... yah Socal has some of the most expensive houses...and it sucks... before the housing bubble popped, the very "poor" parts of OC had house prices of minimum 500k:eek: So the "cheap" housing is a big plus for me.

I have another question... how different are Dallas and Ft. Worth from each other... I know that they are basically twin cities, but are they that far from each other in relative terms... not mileage wise, because one can look that up on the internet...

I dont care if it is 250k or 400k... it seems very cheap... yah Socal has some of the most expensive houses...and it sucks... before the housing bubble popped, the very "poor" parts of OC had house prices of minimum 500k:eek: So the "cheap" housing is a big plus for me.

I have another question... how different are Dallas and Ft. Worth from each other... I know that they are basically twin cities, but are they that far from each other in relative terms... not mileage wise, because one can look that up on the internet...

I would argue they are pretty much the same city as far as COL, politics, diversity, city planning, night life, sports team loyalties, and big hair

I would argue they are pretty much the same city as far as COL, politics, diversity, city planning, night life, sports team loyalties, and big hair

Wait...what?:confused::laugh:

The reason I ask is that everyone always talks about Dallas, but no one talks about Ft. Worth... is it Worth it....:laugh:

houston and austin are probably my favorite cities.

austin has quirkiness. houston - as others have mentioned - is a huge & diverse metropolitan area. the one downside to houston at the moment is probably the traffic. a one mile trek around the med center can take almost 20 minutes during rush hour. and my 20 mile commute from the suburbs takes me over an hour each way. (it gets particularly depressing when you realize this amounts to a month in traffic each year).

houston and austin are probably my favorite cities.

austin has quirkiness. houston - as others have mentioned - is a huge & diverse metropolitan area. the one downside to houston at the moment is probably the traffic. a one mile trek around the med center can take almost 20 minutes during rush hour. and my 20 mile commute from the suburbs takes me over an hour each way. (it gets particularly depressing when you realize this amounts to a month in traffic each year).

. . . which is why i live right in the med center and commute by rail. i only drive on the weekends.

houston is pretty nice. havent been to dallas but a good friend up there says he's able to make a bunch of money but that the people are "different." it didnt seem like the type of different that he enjoyed. i really didnt ask about it, we just started drinking and the convo lead elsewhere. san antonio... no idea whats going on there other than six flags :D and that manu ginobli flops a lot

and that manu ginobli flops a lot

Oh man... don't EVEN get me started on this one... it really won't end well.

Suffice to say, the everyone flops. Furthermore, it's patently ridiculous that people get mad at the Spurs for flopping, but then when there was no foul on Brent Barry's shot last year in the Western Conference Finals, everyone kept saying he didn't "sell the foul" enough.

AAAAAAGH!!!

. . . which is why i live right in the med center and commute by rail. i only drive on the weekends.

yeah, i'm pretty happy with the light rail; i actually can't wait until it's expanded to include large areas inside the loop. houston's my favorite city, but what i think would make it much better is if we could become more of a walkable city. and once we get there, i think we could give LA a run for its money. :D

yeah, i'm pretty happy with the light rail; i actually can't wait until it's expanded to include large areas inside the loop. houston's my favorite city, but what i think would make it much better is if we could become more of a walkable city. and once we get there, i think we could give LA a run for its money. :D

LA== walkable my a**... if you do not have a car, you are screwed... We have the WORST public transportation of any big city...and it is possibly worse than the small cities also...

LA== walkable my a**... if you do not have a car, you are screwed... We have the WORST public transportation of any big city...and it is possibly worse than the small cities also...

exactly. once houston has more light rail options, we'll be the most awesome city in the country. (well, maybe behind only chicago & nyc). :p

exactly. once houston has more light rail options, we'll be the most awesome city in the country. (well, maybe behind only chicago & nyc). :p

LA>>>>>Chicago & NYC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Houston :p

Oh man... don't EVEN get me started on this one... it really won't end well.

Suffice to say, the everyone flops. Furthermore, it's patently ridiculous that people get mad at the Spurs for flopping, but then when there was no foul on Brent Barry's shot last year in the Western Conference Finals, everyone kept saying he didn't "sell the foul" enough.

AAAAAAGH!!!

Lol I know everyone flops. Scola flops a bit too. I remember that brent barry foul.... should've been a foul but didn't he travel before the foul? I forget.

Fort Worth (aka cow town) is where the west begins and Dallas is where the east peters out.

I lived in FW for 3 years and liked it a lot. I didn't really care for Dallas much. Houston is great if you live near the medical center and don't have to drive much. If I lived out in the burbs , Houston would be miserable.

Fort Worth (aka cow town) is where the west begins and Dallas is where the east peters out.

I lived in FW for 3 years and liked it a lot. I didn't really care for Dallas much. Houston is great if you live near the medical center and don't have to drive much. If I lived out in the burbs , Houston would be miserable.

Obviously, you have never been to Lubbock or Amarillo....or the rest of the Panhandle for that matter. :p

Did anyone ever call utsw to see if they were going to give out anymore pre match offers?

Fort Worth is, in my (admittedly biased) opinion, not nearly as snooty as Dallas. Plano, north of Dallas, is the most affluent city in the country, and therefore one of the most affluent cities in the world. Fort Worth, though also well off, has a better sense of community I think. The night life isn't going to be as impressive, but I think that comes with the territory of being a smaller city.

I love Fort Worth, and really want to come back to set up a practice someday. I feel like it has some of the big city resources with fewer of the big city problems (like crime and traffic). We have a saying in Fort Worth: "Life's too short to live in Dallas."

This is probably a silly question, but for the match, schools will look at your fall grades, correct?

Fort Worth is, in my (admittedly biased) opinion, not nearly as snooty as Dallas. Plano, north of Dallas, is the most affluent city in the country, and therefore one of the most affluent cities in the world. Fort Worth, though also well off, has a better sense of community I think. The night life isn't going to be as impressive, but I think that comes with the territory of being a smaller city.

I love Fort Worth, and really want to come back to set up a practice someday. I feel like it has some of the big city resources with fewer of the big city problems (like crime and traffic). We have a saying in Fort Worth: "Life's too short to live in Dallas."

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
every single word in this is dead on. i'm also from ft worth and reading your post made me panic for half a second, thinking someone had hacked into my brain!!!:laugh:

[although in retrospect, while still waiting on tech, i'm racking my brain to remember if i let slip in my interview that i want to practice in ft.woth... Seriously, Tech: if you're reading this, I was totally kidding... I'll practice in west texas--or where ever you want me to--if you'll let me in!!!!!! ]

There's a reason I jumped at the chance to leave Dallas to go to college in rural New England. And that upon graduating college, I stayed out here.

Yet I feel this inexplicable urge to defend Dallas a bit. It's fine. It doesn't have a real urban feel. Even though there is a "downtown area" there's not really a city center to go to (although they're trying to develop something along those lines with Victory Park). There is a decent enough night life. Lots of restaurants and some good malls and museums. It's true that there are some very insular communities (Highland Park is way more severe than Plano in those terms) but as a student at UTSW, you're not going to have much interaction with those areas.

So my opinion of Dallas? Eh. Is Houston better? Sure, why not. Still, I think that you'll find enough interesting people at UTSW and enough interesting things to do outside of the school that it won't matter that much. Of course location is important in choosing a school. But Dallas isn't as bad as the rap it's getting in this thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
every single word in this is dead on. i'm also from ft worth and reading your post made me panic for half a second, thinking someone had hacked into my brain!!!:laugh:

[although in retrospect, while still waiting on tech, i'm racking my brain to remember if i let slip in my interview that i want to practice in ft.woth... Seriously, Tech: if you're reading this, I was totally kidding... I'll practice in west texas--or where ever you want me to--if you'll let me in!!!!!! ]
Where did you go to high school?

How many points do you have to beat the #2 team in the nation by to get some love in this country?

OU beat Tech by one touchdown fewer (44) than Florida beat The Citadel(51), and somehow a 10 point win that happened over a month ago trumps that?

I'm not one of those crazy playoff kids, but I hope that both Alabama and Florida lose next week so the Sooners might get another shot at Texas.

The #2 team in the country was obviously very overrated. By the way it was the computer that gave Texas the number 2 spot, not the voting...look at the numbers.

Unfortunately for the Longhorns, unless they just kill the Aggies and OU barely squeaks out a win, or unless Tech loses... the Sooners are probably so close that a win over a ranked opponent in OSU on the road would probably be enough to bump them in front of the Longhorns. It's a shame, because IMO (win on neutral field+loss on the road)>(win at home+loss on neutral field).

The #2 team in the country was obviously very overrated. By the way it was the computer that gave Texas the number 2 spot, not the voting...look at the numbers.

I noticed that, I guess I forgot to mention that. That is what gives me hope. OU's (hopefully) win against OKState will look a lot better to the computer than Texas's (hopefully not) win against Texas A&M.

I'm not holding my breath, but it happened the last two years, so here's hoping for an Aggie three-peat.

I think we learned a lot more about the OU defense than the Tech offense yesterday. They have played some pretty good teams, and this is the first time they were held scoreless in the first quarter, and their lowest point total of the season by 14 points (they scored 35 @ Nevada) Let's not try to make it look like Tech isn't a good team, they definitely are.

And Texas's cupcake nonconference schedule is a joke compared to OU's big wins over TCU and Cincinatti which are currently the #14 and #16 teams in the country.

Bradford for Heisman!!!

Last edited:
Quick question :

I was offered an interview invite from UTSW for January 10. Match begins January 15. Does that mean that I will basically not be considered for a prematch offer? =(

interview invite to San Antonion the 8th of Dec.

For anyone that is interested, I think Houston sent out another batch of pre-match offers. I got one this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.