The Republic of Texas XXXII: Everything is better in the Lonestar State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh::thumbup:

I haven't heard good things about a&m and Texas Tech. What do you guys think?, is it worth it?

Honestly I think all schools in TX are great and will make you a competent physician. Any school in TX besides maybe TCOM will give you the opportunity to do any specialty you want. TCOM is still a great school but I just don't know how realistic it is for you to match in derm or something super competitive because of the DO bias ( I think they had one match in derm this year but they seemed to be military going into a military program). It's possible but it'll be harder.

It's best to find a school that's a good fit for you and suits your interests. How interested are you in being a research physician, academic physician, Pcp, or do you just want to do clinical work etc?

I personally didn't prefer TAMU because of the split campus/class and the more rural location. Most people don't prefer tech El Paso because they don't want to move to El Paso. I heard the curriculum is great there though. Lubbock is the same with the location. Most people don't think there is anything to do out there. But it's a good school otherwise. UTs are located in bigger cities so I think that makes them more favorable to a lot of people and the fact they have more research funding and aren't as focused on producing rural docs and pcps.

And so yes it's worth it to apply to the techs and TAMU. It's an extra 30 bucks plus maybe 150 in secondary fees overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks! No I'm Indian. I thought I had strong essays though and an interesting background. Yeah I guess I'm saying that up till September they'll be considering your old MCAT (they probably would look at your app early) and by then will have offered a majority of interviews since its rolling. Of course you could be offered a few interviews early with your first score (which I think is very possible), but I imagine if they don't offer you an interview early they may or may not take out your app later in the cycle to reevaluate it. I'm not sure but I imagine it would be harder to get an interview later in the cycle since they have fewer to give out that's why I'm not sure how much a retake that late would help you unless you get a 32+. I think most schools in TX seem to weigh GPA more since there are schools like tamu and UTMB whose Mcats are a 29 average so it's a big plus that your GPA is so high.

I guess a retake is safer than no retake though. I had a friend apply with a 26 and 3.9 initially, and retook in July for a 33. He turned in his app in June. Only got interviewed at tx tech Lubbock, El Paso, and tamu. It almost seems like they hardly considered his second score at the UTs which tend to finish their interview cycle earlier.

:)

Last edited:
probably had to do with the fact that he might have received the retake later in the app cycle.
Ive seen many 3.3-3.5 with 32-37 MCATs get accepted to the UTs (including UTSW) so its not just about the GPA with texas.

Gandalf, if a school takes both me and you then the avg (considering us two) would be a 31 MCAT and a 3.67 GPA. Which is right in line with the TX MD avgs. Haha :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Texas!

My top two reach schools (like everybody else) are: Baylor and UT Southwestern.

Realistically, I am hoping for either UT-Houston or UTHSCSA.

Also, I just checked out this loan calculator and going to a texas school over out of state will end up saving me about $200K altogether. :love:

https://services.aamc.org/30/first/home/calculatorinput

Hi everyone! :) Are any of you guys applying to out of state schools, and if so, which ones? I really hope to stay in Texas but still want to apply broadly! I have a 32MCAT and 4.0GPA so trying to figure out schools in a good range...so far I've submitted AMCAS for michigan, pittsburgh, UCSF (definite reach), and colorado.

Yes, Texas!

My top two reach schools (like everybody else) are: Baylor and UT Southwestern.

Realistically, I am hoping for either UT-Houston or UTHSCSA.

Also, I just checked out this loan calculator and going to a texas school over out of state will end up saving me about $200K altogether. :love:

https://services.aamc.org/30/first/home/calculatorinput

You and me both. Although you may have more luck at getting an II at BCM/UTSW b/c of the whole URM thing.

You and me both. Although you may have more luck at getting an II at BCM/UTSW b/c of the whole URM thing.
IDK, DBate has a 35 on his MCAT and received his undergrad from either HYP or M. If he gets an II from Baylor or UTSW, I don't think it'll have anything to do with his race but rather merit. :)

IDK, DBate has a 35 on his MCAT and received his undergrad from either HYP or M. If he gets an II from Baylor or UTSW, I don't think it'll have anything to do with his race but rather merit. :)

I have the same score... Just couldnt afford YP :(

But I think that should be offset with my 3.87 SMP GPA.

So he and I should be on relatively equal footing minus the URM/PS/EC.

Cant wait to see all these people on the interview trail... if I get one :laugh:

I have the same score... Just couldnt afford YP :(

But I think that should be offset with my 3.87 SMP GPA.

So he and I should be on relatively equal footing minus the URM/PS/EC.

Cant wait to see all these people on the interview trail... if I get one :laugh:

Isn't Baylor as expensive (or more expensive) than Yale and Princeton?

I hope you didn't turn down Yale or Princeton because of financials.

I only afforded college because of generous financial aid and my school covers all need for admitted students. If your parents make less than 100K per year, then you probably wouldn't have to pay more than 6K a year to go here.

Isn't Baylor as expensive (or more expensive) than Yale and Princeton?

I hope you didn't turn down Yale or Princeton because of financials.

I only afforded college because of generous financial aid and my school covers all need for admitted students. If your parents make less than 100K per year, then you probably wouldn't have to pay more than 6K a year to go here.

oops. I meant UPenn not Princeton.

I went to Baylor on 3/4 COA scholarship. I didn't file FAFSA on time so I couldn't get need based aid.

Came out with only $20K overall expenses for 4 years.
I might have a lower GPA at Yale if it is indeed harder than Baylor.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Only gotta worry about residency now.

I went to Baylor on 3/4 COA scholarship. I didn't file FAFSA on time so I couldn't get need based aid.

Yeah, Upenn's financial aid for undergrad isn't that great.

No worries, everything worked out well in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not applying this cycle, but is anyone else pissed off that a lot of applicants are getting their prereq classes done at CCs? Makes me annoyed to see them making A's in those CC science prereqs

Not applying this cycle, but is anyone else pissed off that a lot of applicants are getting their prereq classes done at CCs? Makes me annoyed to see them making A's in those CC science prereqs

The admissions committee will see it at well. I've been told some schools looks down upon that a lot.

The admissions committee will see it at well. I've been told some schools looks down upon that a lot.

If you check the MSAR for UT-H, it says they allow CC accepted coursework. The same is true for other medical schools.

So if they allow it....who really cares? I mean it limits you to instate mostly but who cares? lol it's just so annoying

If you check the MSAR for UT-H, it says they allow CC accepted coursework. The same is true for other medical schools.

So if they allow it....who really cares? I mean it limits you to instate mostly but who cares? lol it's just so annoying

Accepting it does not mean they like it. They are well aware that it is significantly easier at a cc

Accepting it does not mean they like it. They are well aware that it is significantly easier at a cc

That's true they're aware, but I just don't think they should accept it. It ruins the even ground that's supposed to be there....oh well I guess that's what the MCAT is for....

:laugh::thumbup:

I haven't heard good things about a&m and Texas Tech. What do you guys think?, is it worth it?

Who has said anything bad about those schools? They're great schools. Would you rather not be accepted than go to one of those two?

Sic 'em

Who has said anything bad about those schools? They're great schools. Would you rather not be accepted than go to one of those two?

Sic 'em

personally, it looks like all the texas schools are great and all have a lot to offer. I would love to go I any of them :D

I would only be concerned if they're attempting to take ALL of their prereqs at a CC. Some people have to take courses at a CC for financial reasons or time-constraints. I did everything else at my 4-year university, but I took physics in the summer at my local CC because it was cheaper and I wouldn't have had time to study abroad for a semester otherwise.

Yeah life's not fair. A majority of Texas schools don't care. I didnt get asked about it at all. One of my lors were from a cc prof also. I only took a few science classes at a cc. They weren't prereqs though. I took a&p there and yes cc classes are a lot easier, but so are classes at lower tier universities compared say at a top 50. It's harder competition, harder to make the a, a harder curve of course at a top 50 undergrad. But admissions are unlikely to discriminate because as one person said some take classes at a cc for financial reasons. Undergrad performance will never be a level playing field. Just do well on the MCAT.

Are you serious?

Most people go to Community College for financial reasons. And given the high percentage of science majors who matriculate into med school, they likely take upper division courses at a four year university, so it does't matter.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Jump off your high horse of looking down on people.

Are you serious?

Most people go to Community College for financial reasons. And given the high percentage of science majors who matriculate into med school, they likely take upper division courses at a four year university, so it does't matter.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Jump off your high horse of looking down on people.

I am serious. I completely understand those who take classes at a CC for financial reasons. But there are many who take classes there for the grade. You're not saving loads of cash taking at a CC (unless its during the summer).

I find it annoying when people go take their prereqs at a CC to get them a higher GPA. It's pointless inflation of GPA, especially in Texas where it's easier than many other states

I am serious. I completely understand those who take classes at a CC for financial reasons. But there are many who take classes there for the grade. You're not saving loads of cash taking at a CC (unless its during the summer).

I find it annoying when people go take their prereqs at a CC to get them a higher GPA. It's pointless inflation of GPA, especially in Texas where it's easier than many other states

There's nothing wrong with this and there is no reason you should be upset.

none of it matters if they bomb the mcat and/or have no good ECs

Life isnt fair. Get used to it.

The MCAT is meant to standardize everyone. If they take courses at CCs, they wont perform as well on the test than those with a strong background from 4 year universities.

none of it matters if they bomb the mcat and/or have no good ECs

So if I take my physics lab prereqs at a CC, I am going to bomb the MCAT?

It doesn't make sense to assume that people are going to bomb the mcat because they took classes at CC.

Pretty much nothing that I learned in my college classes helped on the MCAT or I had taken them so long ago I didn't remember the material. Orgo did on one passage, but almost everything else was self-studied.

So if I take my physics lab prereqs at a CC, I am going to bomb the MCAT?

It doesn't make sense to assume that people are going to bomb the mcat because they took classes at CC.

It would be like someone from a top school claiming the people who go to Texas A&M or something are going to bomb the MCAT because of low quality educatioin.

Everyone on SDN will tell you that labs are not as important as lecture

Sorry to interrupt all the debate going on in this thread right now, but I have a question :D

I submitted my application 06/08 and it will probably get verified sometime this week (most likely the end of this week). I've finished 2 of the secondaries. Should I submit all of my secondaries the second I'm verified through TMDSAS or should I start submitting them now? I know they say you can submit before your primary, but I don't see the point to be honest.

Sorry to interrupt all the debate going on in this thread right now, but I have a question :D

I submitted my application 06/08 and it will probably get verified sometime this week (most likely the end of this week). I've finished 2 of the secondaries. Should I submit all of my secondaries the second I'm verified through TMDSAS or should I start submitting them now? I know they say you can submit before your primary, but I don't see the point to be honest.

I don't know if this helps, but I know for sure utsw says to not submit until your primary is submitted. I guess it's safer to do it after verification/transmission.

go ahead and submit. what's the point of waiting?

I had a similar MCAT but a 3.5ish GPa. I got interviews at TAMU, UTHSCSA, UTMB, and TCOM after Nov 15. I submitted my app late and secondaries a lot later. Got my first choice in the match, San Antonio. August is really late to retake the MCAT. I'm not sure how much it will alter your chances even if you do well.

When did you submit your application? Do you think you had something impressive or unique in your application that may have increased your chances of getting all those interviews?

When did you submit your application? Do you think you had something impressive or unique in your application that may have increased your chances of getting all those interviews?

I imagine being a first generation college student helped and the fact that I wrote about it in an essay and the fact my parents income is lower than the typical med student. I think the adcoms at some schools really try to put performance in context with background. I think my strengths were strong LORs from people that knew me well and I knew would say good things about me /rank me in the top of students they've seen...granted one was a cc prof and one was a physician I shadowed and also strong ps and optional essays. I wrote about other hardships/unique experiences I had. Don't want to go too into detail. Yeah I guess main thing is though I did have experiences/background that made me stand out from the typical med student with a privileged background.

I think I submitted end of July. Processed sometime in August. MCAT was taken in June so I had everything complete and no retake later. Submitted secondaries end of September near the deadline.

Last edited:
TMDSAS transmitted my apps today! I'm glad it didn't take any longer. Now it's time to go unsubscribe from every mailing list I'm on and free up some space for all those interview invites I'm expecting :hardy:

Then just sit back and do the loooonngg wait :corny:

On my TMDSAS, it sasys it got one of my transcripts, but not the other... however, it already said it was all approved and sent to the medical schools. Do I have to follow up on this, or since it has been sent, just not worry about it?

HELP!

Question related to building an OOS school list. For those of you in-staters applying via AMCAS/AACOMAS as well, what is the maximum amount of difference in cost of attendance you are willing to tolerate before you decide that you're better off reapplying to Texas schools next year (earlier and with a better MCAT score if current score is not optimal, or after doing a post-bacc/SMP if gpa is not optimal)?

Question related to building an OOS school list. For those of you in-staters applying via AMCAS/AACOMAS as well, what is the maximum amount of difference in cost of attendance you are willing to tolerate before you decide that you're better off reapplying to Texas schools next year (earlier and with a better MCAT score if current score is not optimal, or after doing a post-bacc/SMP if gpa is not optimal)?

med school is med school.
Go where you get accepted.

I think if a school is more than 50K/year in tuition, then I wont even bother applying.

Everyone will have their limit. I think that going in to medicine is a worthwhile investment, but some of those costs of attendance are stupid. We're very lucky to have such low tuition in Texas.

I decided to withdraw from a waitlist and reapply but the COA was like $75k.

It depends on the school. If we are talking Baylor/UT Southwestern vs. OOS, then no amount of money can overcome those schools.

If it is Tech El Paso vs. OOS, then it would be more of an issue.

The way I look at it though, the cheaper the school is the better. So i see very little incentive in going to an OOS school unless they are a top school or they offer great financial aid.

I eliminated USC and Georgetown right off the back because 80K/year versus the 45K/year at most Texas Schools was too big a difference.

At the end of the day, all physicians in a specialty are compensated the same regardless of their medical school.

Everyone will have their limit. I think that going in to medicine is a worthwhile investment, but some of those costs of attendance are stupid. We're very lucky to have such low tuition in Texas.

I decided to withdraw from a waitlist and reapply but the COA was like $75k.

I agree. It is absurd. Check out UChicago. The COA for the last two years is about 94K! Although, they do give out decent financial aid from the data is have seen.

http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/financialaid/budget.shtml

I have the same thought as the previous posters. Even though I applied to 13 schools out of state, it was only due to fap. Most of my oos schools are reach schools for my stats because I would rather reapply than going OOS middle tier school. The difference in tuition is worth it.

Last edited:
Good thing we have low/ middle/ upper tier schools in this state with all super cheap tuition. God I love Texas!

I have the same thought as the previous posters. Even though I applied to 13 schools out of state, it was only due to fap. Most of my oos schools are reach schools for my stats because I would rather reapply than going OOS middle tier school. The difference in tuition is worth it.

This is the same thought I have. Same problem with DO. I would go to TCOM in a heartbeat. But an OOS MD/DO is even harder than TX and requires moving far away and for a lot of money. At that point I would consider a gap year. I get kinda scared thinking about that cause I have no clue what I would wanna do with a gap year. Plus my grades that ill get my upcoming senior year would then also play a major role.

I guess the age factor is also slightly playing a role in my case (though I know there are plenty of people on this forum in their 40's who are applying). It's the reason why I decided to go ahead and try to apply this year anyway even though my application won't have an MCAT score till late August. I guess I'll just stick to Baylor on the AMCAS (a man can dream, can't he ;)) and the LECOMs on the AACOMAS (since the tuition is 30k) and reapply early next year. Thanks for the input everyone!

Does anyone know if ALL TX schools send email confirmation to let you know they received your app?

I only received them from UTSW, UTSA, UT-Galveston, TX-Tech Foster and my app was transmitted on May 31. I also had all my Recs, MCAT, and transcript in before I submitted.

Does anyone know if ALL TX schools send email confirmation to let you know they received your app?

I only received them from UTSW, UTSA, UT-Galveston, TX-Tech Foster and my app was transmitted on May 31. I also had all my Recs, MCAT, and transcript in before I submitted.

The only schools I haven't heard from are Texas Tech - Lubbock and UT Houston (I know that Houston may send one, but it won't be for a while). I know TCOM got my secondary, but I don't think they emailed me about the primary.

Did Texas A&M ever send out a formal email? I haven't got one yet.

On my status page, everything says true except for my MCAT scores... which I took last Jan and was sent with my primary.

Anyone know how that works out?