The Republic of Texas XXXII: Everything is better in the Lonestar State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the schools already have match results, why can't they just release them to everyone?

1075.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if UTSW will match anyone? I know they rarely do; however, I know that they usually send out two waves of acceptances in December, and this year they didn't (last one was 11/27). Plus, one round of December interviewees had to be rescheduled and moved to January because of the ice. If I'm not mistaken, they accept several off the waitlist, so most likely, I won't know my fate for certain until the end of May.:(

Anyone have any idea on the OOS movement after the match? I am really hoping some OOSers drop their acceptances as they start getting accepted to other med schools in their home state.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any idea on the OOS movement after the match? I am really hoping some OOSers drop their acceptances as they start getting accepted to other med schools in their home state.

Yeah, but there's only so many OOS who get accepted since a lot of TX schools have a ~10% rule

Yeah, but there's only so many OOS who get accepted since a lot of TX schools have a ~10% rule
Most definitely. It's interesting to see the statistic of only 8 OOSers at UTMB in their last published record. That's significantly below their 10% rule (around 20 students). I wonder what happened there?

I want to see what the OOS accepted but turned down rates are. I suspect that they could be offering like 10% of the spots to OOS, and then the bulk of that percentage reject it (since they are choosing other schools outside the state) and get replaced by Texas residents that were high up on the lists, resulting in a percentage drop. That and from what I have seen (take with lots of NaCl), OOS typically are not ranked as high in comparison to other Texas students.

I want to see what the OOS accepted but turned down rates are. I suspect that they could be offering like 10% of the spots to OOS, and then the bulk of that percentage reject it (since they are choosing other schools outside the state) and get replaced by Texas residents that were high up on the lists, resulting in a percentage drop. That and from what I have seen (take with lots of NaCl), OOS typically are not ranked as high in comparison to other Texas students.

That's interesting. At one of the medical schools in Texas, they told us that OOS-ers generally have higher statistics than IS applicants. I guess the tuition (since a lot of accepted OOS students receive a scholarship that allows them to pay IS tuition) is a very big, attractive point.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, OOSers accepted to TX schools are indeed highly qualified applicants, stats wise and in any other sense. And, indeed, they often get to pay IS tuition (and even OOS TX tuition is not that high anyway), so low tuition is certainly what draws them to TX. Just as the very top IS applicants, they may ultimately prefer more prestigious private schools, especially if they get nice fin aid/scholarships from those.

If the schools already have match results, why can't they just release them to everyone?

1075.gif
Props for use of a David Tennant meme

As far as I know, OOSers accepted to TX schools are indeed highly qualified applicants, stats wise and in any other sense. And, indeed, they often get to pay IS tuition (and even OOS TX tuition is not that high anyway), so low tuition is certainly what draws them to TX. Just as the very top IS applicants, they may ultimately prefer more prestigious private schools, especially if they get nice fin aid/scholarships from those.

Interestingly, OOS pay LOWER tuition than IS students do. They receive a $1,000 scholarship to qualify for IS tuition so they pay $1,000 less than IS students.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's too late of course, but I really hope I made the right decision in ranking PLFSOM higher than UTMB. I really loved both of these schools. I pre-matched at UTMB and Tech, but it was always between UTMB and PLFSOM. The thing is I'm from El Paso, and I just figured being close to family would be a huge benefit. It's kind of discouraging though to see that most people ranked PLFSOM last or second to last only to TCOM.

I know it's too late of course, but I really hope I made the right decision in ranking PLFSOM higher than UTMB. I really loved both of these schools. I pre-matched at UTMB and Tech, but it was always between UTMB and PLFSOM. The thing is I'm from El Paso, and I just figured being close to family would be a huge benefit. It's kind of discouraging though to see that most people ranked PLFSOM last or second to last only to TCOM.
I think the main reason why people rank TTEP so low is because El Paso is too far away from the rest of Texas.

I think the main reason why people rank TTEP so low is because El Paso is too far away from the rest of Texas.
I suppose that's a reasonable explanation. I guess it's sort of the opposite for me seeing as how all the other medical schools are really far away. I kind of feel people have this negative stigma towards PLFSOM.

I suppose that's a reasonable explanation. I guess it's sort of the opposite for me seeing as how all the other medical schools are really far away. I kind of feel people have this negative stigma towards PLFSOM.

I was actually disappointed that I didn't hear from El Paso! I know what you mean, though. I was sitting around with some friends and overheard someone say, "You weren't actually considering TTL, were you?" I thought TTL was great! It's all about personal preference and the truth is that you aren't going to go wrong with any of the Texas schools. Don't let people get to you, you're going to medical school!

don't feel disheartened. I loved PLFSOM... I would have loved to go there but had to rank other schools higher because my fiancée only has job opportunities close to where the other big cities are. Best of luck to you getting your choice, and congratulations!

Is it Monday yet?
Mindy-Kaling-Buffering-Mindy-Project-GIF.gif

That's interesting. At one of the medical schools in Texas, they told us that OOS-ers generally have higher statistics than IS applicants. I guess the tuition (since a lot of accepted OOS students receive a scholarship that allows them to pay IS tuition) is a very big, attractive point.

Yeah, 14k tuition is literally 1/3rd to 1/4th the price of private schools or other OOS schools that I'm considering. In order for me to pick another school over UTSW I'd need to get a pretty large merit scholarship....which is probably not going to happen.

The "Click To Go To School Ranking" button is up. :eek:

"The deadline for entering or editing your school preference rankings has passed. Please return to this page on Monday, February 03, 2014 to view your match results."

I checked last years threads, and it does appear that UTMB sent out acceptance and waitlist emails at 12:00am Feb 1 last year. None of the other schools did. Not to get anyones hope up for early notices. But maybe, just maybe, there might be emails sent out tonight or if not maybe 12:00am Feb 3.

Last edited:
I was actually disappointed that I didn't hear from El Paso! I know what you mean, though. I was sitting around with some friends and overheard someone say, "You weren't actually considering TTL, were you?" I thought TTL was great! It's all about personal preference and the truth is that you aren't going to go wrong with any of the Texas schools. Don't let people get to you, you're going to medical school!
I think all the Texas schools are great. I really liked Tech, awesome facilities. I just wish people would stop acting as if Foster is the last resort. It's new and its identity isn't quite there, but they have had pretty good Step scores and a great match list.

I think all the Texas schools are great. I really liked Tech, awesome facilities. I just wish people would stop acting as if Foster is the last resort. It's new and its identity isn't quite there, but they have had pretty good Step scores and a great match list.

People don't consider it a last resort because of its quality of education but because it's on the far from the major cities. Students want to visit their families and go see friends. They want to be able to go to familiar places. And an 10 hour drive from most major cities puts quite a damper on that.

Reactions: 2 users
People don't consider it a last resort because of its quality of education but because it's on the far from the major cities. Students want to visit their families and go see friends. They want to be able to go to familiar places. And an 10 hour drive from most major cities puts quite a damper on that.
truth

Psh that's nothing like trekking across middle earth. Ain't that right, my friend?

Reactions: 1 users
hmm..when I checked my status on Merlin it says you have declined our admissions offer :| ?

hmm..when I checked my status on Merlin it says you have declined our admissions offer :| ?
Possibly matched to higher ranked school and auto-withdrawn? Can't say for sure but this seems good for you!

Possibly matched to higher ranked school and auto-withdrawn? Can't say for sure but this seems good for you!
I hope so! good luck to everyone else on Monday! Most importantly, let's enjoy Super Bowl Sunday! woo Broncos!!

Foster or Lubbock? Mine still says no status for foster..
I believe pescadoamor had a status change bc he prematched at foster. It appears that he has matched to a higher ranked school. If you didnt prematch at foster, then there is no reason to believe there should be a status change at this point.
Others who prematched should comment if their status changed too on merlin. This possibly applies to both foster and lubbock.

I believe pescadoamor had a status change bc he prematched at foster. It appears that he has matched to a higher ranked school. If you didnt prematch at foster, then there is no reason to believe there should be a status change at this point.
Others who prematched should comment if their status changed too on merlin. This possibly applies to both foster and lubbock.

Prematched to Lubbock and have not seen a status change. It is not ranked highly on my rankings list.

Prematched to Lubbock and have not seen a status change. It is not ranked highly on my rankings list.
Maybe it only applies to foster (only foster set the statuses to update feb 1).
Anyone else who prematched at lubbock should comment on their current merlin status.

Hmm. I prematched to Lubbock a month ago but nothing on Merlin has changed since. I prematched to another Texas school and have it ranked higher on my TMDSAS list too.

Well has anyone that didn't prematch at El Paso get a status change? My still says no status.

I have a friend who also prematched to Foster and his status on Merlin also says he declined his admissions offer. He loved Foster but ranked it under 1.UTH and 2. UTMB due to the distance from home (13+ hours) Good Luck to everyone hoping to match on Monday.

Last edited:
If your status says declined offer for Foster it means you have matched to a higher ranked school. Look at last year's thread. It happened to an individual and they were matched to a higher ranked school.

This has been the longest week of my entire college career

MXbbkHb.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users