Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
So my interview is on Sept 12th. I've chosen to stay at an Airbnb 2.4 miles away from campus. Any ideas on how to get to campus in the morning? Are ubers / lyfts reliable? Should I arrange for a cab ahead of time? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm also interviewing on Sept 12, also staying at an airbnb nearby and relying on lyft/uber. I think we should be fine because it's LV after all. Hopefully a local can chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
So my interview is on Sept 12th. I've chosen to stay at an Airbnb 2.4 miles away from campus. Any ideas on how to get to campus in the morning? Are ubers / lyfts reliable? Should I arrange for a cab ahead of time? Thoughts?

Thanks!

@bobaphilic

uber'll be fine, it's an easy drive

Reactions: 1 users
just submitted today! one of my top choices for DO schools (also applying to some lower-tier MD schools)

anyone know the time frame for hearing back for an interview after submitting the supplemental?

II this morning as well!
secondary received and submitted 8/3.
complete email received 8/23.
final review email received 9/2.

Reactions: 2 users
Im pretty excited for Monday! Looking forward to meeting others in the afternoon group.

II today!

How are you guys emailing the admissions committee to schedule an invite?

Contras everyone. Have the IIs been via email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also received an II today via email. I got the final review email on 9/1.

I just put interview in the subject and then said I would like to schedule an interview. They will email dates back to you.
II today!

How are you guys emailing the admissions committee to schedule an invite?

Last edited:
II this morning via email as well!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
for the people getting IIs, did you get two emails total saying you're file is being reviewed? like one that specifically gave a week or two time frame while the other was a more general like 6-8 weeks?

I got one that said 6 to 8 weeks. then one that said my file was in the final review and you should here soon, it never gave a time frame. I received the II about 3 business days after getting the "in final stages of review" one. I never received the 1 - 2 week email that I heard others got.

for the people getting IIs, did you get two emails total saying you're file is being reviewed? like one that specifically gave a week or two time frame while the other was a more general like 6-8 weeks?

I got one that said 6 to 8 weeks. then one that said my file was in the final review and you should here soon, it never gave a time frame. I received the II about 3 business days after getting the "in final stages of review" one. I never received the 1 - 2 week email that I heard others got.
after getting an email saying 6-8 weeks, how long did you have to wait to receive an email saying your file was in the final review stage?

after getting an email saying 6-8 weeks, how long did you have to wait to receive an email saying your file was in the final review stage?

I got the 6-8 week review email on 8/23
Final review on 9/1
II on 9/7

Can anyone out there share some experience about TUNCOM? Did you turn down other acceptances to come here? Strengths and weakness of the school? Interview feedback? TYIA!!!

Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the interview here?

Looks like a lot of people are interviewing here tomorrow. See you all there!

Just withdrew my interview appointment from this school. Hope my spot goes to one of you guys! Good luck!

I interviewed here this morning. It was AMAZING! Everyone was extremely friendly and I was blown away by the facilities. The admissions director and associate director are awesome. The new dean is doing great things! I hope I get accepted.

I interviewed here this morning. It was AMAZING! Everyone was extremely friendly and I was blown away by the facilities. The admissions director and associate director are awesome. The new dean is doing great things! I hope I get accepted.
The pizza was pretty good, too!

The pizza was pretty good, too!
Oy vey! The pizza gave me a bit of an upset stomach (or maybe it was the nerves) but it was awesome to meet you guys today anyway! The school was great and I can totally see myself living in Henderson down the road from "that strip mall" ;)

How was the interviews yesterday? Any advice on how to prepare?? Or at least was it stressful?

How was the interviews yesterday? Any advice on how to prepare?? Or at least was it stressful?

My interviewers were extremely nice and polite. They asked me basic questions like why medicine and discussed some other application-specific points. If you know your app well you shouldn't have a problem. I didn't even get asked scenario/ethical questions. But some other interviewees in my group were, so be prepared for those. Other than that, be yourself. As the school said it themselves, don't lie and give them the answers you think they want to hear. Have your own opinions, be able to logically defend them, be sincere and everything is gonna be fine (as if I'm not nervous as hell myself during the whole time haha). Good luck!

Interviewing is stressful in general! Show up early and hang out with your co interviewees- I think it really helped most of us relax and feel more comfortable in the situation.

My interviewers were both really nice, though I heard some of the others were a little more tough/stern. I was able to give a meaningful narrative with life experiences and practical examples of "why osteopathic medicine". I was also asked an ethical question regarding vaccinations. You can probably expect something similar (think big topics in medicine lately like vaccinations, public health, affordable care act, state of the medical system, etc.). Its "semi closed" file so they only have access to your letters and PS- my interviewers generally asked how I did in my science courses at which point I fessed up to a few C's on my transcripts. They did ask me to expand on what I would do differently if given the chance.

Come ready to talk and adequately express yourself and you will be fine! Don't forget that your interviewers are people too with their own lives and set of experiences. At one point in time they were in our exact situation!

My positive takeaways: "Optional" class attendance, new "Texas Style" curriculum more focused on boards success, specialty track for clinical rotations, all clinical rotations (3rd year at least) are in the Vegas area, safe area with plenty to do outside of class.

The interview was laid back for me. I got asked a few of the usual core questions as well as many ethical questions. My interviewers did not ask my anything about my grades or time in undergrad. They did ask if I applied both MD and DO. I would say you should review your personal statement and work / activities sections. Interestingly, the gender ratio was very off. Out of around ~15 people, only 4 were women in my interview group (745 AM slot).

PROS-
Exciting new systems based curriculum
No dress code
Affordable living area
Recorded lectures
True open door policy
Very laid back environment
Cooperative feel between students
Revamp of Y3 and Y4 to center more around what you want to specialize in (more electives!)
Focus on COMPLEX versus grades
Temporary monopoly in the area for clinical rotations (two other MD schools will be opening soon)

CONS-
The student Q&A mentioned parking as a problem
The heat of the region (I'm a huge outdoors person)
Un-walkable suburbia (car is required)
Dell laptop requirement (cost estimate of $1400?!)
Very little research opportunities

I'd say I had a very positive experience and vibe from the school!

The interview was laid back for me. I got asked a few of the usual core questions as well as many ethical questions. My interviewers did not ask my anything about my grades or time in undergrad. They did ask if I applied both MD and DO. I would say you should review your personal statement and work / activities sections. Interestingly, the gender ratio was very off. Out of around ~15 people, only 4 were women in my interview group (745 AM slot).

PROS-
Exciting new systems based curriculum
No dress code
Affordable living area
Recorded lectures
True open door policy
Very laid back environment
Cooperative feel between students
Revamp of Y3 and Y4 to center more around what you want to specialize in (more electives!)
Focus on COMPLEX versus grades
Temporary monopoly in the area for clinical rotations (two other MD schools will be opening soon)

CONS-
The student Q&A mentioned parking as a problem
The heat of the region (I'm a huge outdoors person)
Un-walkable suburbia (car is required)
Dell laptop requirement (cost estimate of $1400?!)
Very little research opportunities

I'd say I had a very positive experience and vibe from the school!

The afternoon group only had one woman! I found it very strange- my first interview at a different school had almost a perfect 50/50 split. Im sure there's an explanation for it but it certainly seemed strange...

Do you guys think we are at an advantage for interviewing on the first day? I really liked this school but I don't want to get my hopes up in case I get bad news.

Do you guys think we are at an advantage for interviewing on the first day? I really liked this school but I don't want to get my hopes up in case I get bad news.

I think we are, especially if we receive a "Waitlist" status. All other things being equal I'm pretty sure we would get priority over someone who is waitlisted later in the cycle. Having an early acceptance would also be nice but I'm not loving their $2000 deposit in 2 weeks policy!

App in final review stage! Ahhh

I think we are, especially if we receive a "Waitlist" status. All other things being equal I'm pretty sure we would get priority over someone who is waitlisted later in the cycle. Having an early acceptance would also be nice but I'm not loving their $2000 deposit in 2 weeks policy!

Sorry I gotta chime in on this. I specifically asked the admission counselor (the first woman to give us a presentation) about the waitlist. She said that all waitlisters will be ranked and they considered all waitlisters at the end of the cycle. As the cycle goes on, they might invite stronger candidates to keep their waitlist strong. Whether you got waitlisted earlier on in the cycle or later on, you'll be considered together in the same pool at the end of the cycle. Therefore, it only gives you an advantage interviewing earlier on if you got a straight acceptance. I'm not entirely sure about this, but that's what she told me.

Sorry I gotta chime in on this. I specifically asked the admission counselor (the first woman to give us a presentation) about the waitlist. She said that all waitlisters will be ranked and they considered all waitlisters at the end of the cycle. As the cycle goes on, they might invite stronger candidates to keep their waitlist strong. Whether you got waitlisted earlier on in the cycle or later on, you'll be considered together in the same pool at the end of the cycle. Therefore, it only gives you an advantage interviewing earlier on if you got a straight acceptance. I'm not entirely sure about this, but that's what she told me.
I remember her saying that too... But like I said, "all other things being equal" we would (Edit: HOPEFULLY) take priority over others waitlisted later on.

Last edited:
Anyone that's received the "final review" email but then got waitlist/rejected/didn't hear back?

How long after the interview does Touro notify of their decision? How much $ is their deposit? Please help!!

How long after the interview does Touro notify of their decision? How much $ is their deposit? Please help!!

I've seen a list with schools' deposit amounts floating around somewhere. Not sure for the first part of your question.

$2000 dollars. When I interviewed I learned in a week but I also interviewed on the second interview date so notifications may vary. This information could cause anxiety, palpitations, sweats, or behaviors leading to veisalgia. Use this information at your own risk.

Got the final review email last Tuesday and nothing since. Anyone else?

I interviewed on 9/12 and we were told (in so many words) to not bother them before October 8th! $2k deposit due 2 weeks after acceptance.

Just got a packet in the mail encouraging me to apply to TUNCOM despite my application being in the final review stage at the school.

I'm so confused.

Just got a packet in the mail encouraging me to apply to TUNCOM despite my application being in the final review stage at the school.

I'm so confused.

I did as well and I have already interviewed. Might explain their recent tuition increase and paid parking decision.