Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. It's taken many years to get to say this: I will be going to medical school next fall!!! Best wishes to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Do they have two interviews lasting 20 minutes or one 20 minute interview with two interviewers? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How was the interview? Low/high stress? Any major curveballs?

How was the interview? Low/high stress? Any major curveballs?
I thought it was pretty straightforward. Both of the faculty members that interviewed me were really nice and made me want to go here even more. It was low stress without curveballs. Only fastballs because they stick to the 20 minute time limit and ask questions rapid fire. At least that's what it seemed like to me, but that may have been due to nerves. DM me if you have more questions! I hope this helps...

Reactions: 1 user
I thought it was pretty straightforward. Both of the faculty members that interviewed me were really nice and made me want to go here even more. It was low stress without curveballs. Only fastballs because they stick to the 20 minute time limit and ask questions rapid fire. At least that's what it seemed like to me, but that may have been due to nerves. DM me if you have more questions! I hope this helps...

I see, thanks and congrats on the acceptance!

See you all tomorrow at 7:45 am.
Gonna drive in from SoCal at 8:00 pm tonight

Just landed in sin city

EDIT: & also good luck to you guys tomorrow! Let's all get accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Durham got me so excited about the curriculum. And the pizza was bomb, as others have said. Also a huge fan that you do your own dissections here and all of the available tracks you can take.

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Durham got me so excited about the curriculum. And the pizza was bomb, as others have said. Also a huge fan that you do your own dissections here and all of the available tracks you can take.

Same here

How was the interview itself?

I liked my interviewers. It was laid back, but one of my interviewers was a little intense when they asked their questions lol.

Ah okay. So I'm assuming the format was a 2-on-1 interview? How long did it last?

ACCEPTED! very excited... interviewed 9/26 woo!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Does anyone want to chime in on how the 3rd and 4th years will be affected by the two new medical schools?!
I am pretty sure this is my school I will pay my deposit on but this is my only concern. Any feedback would be great.

Accepted! Does anyone want to chime in on how the 3rd and 4th years will be affected by the two new medical schools?!
I am pretty sure this is my school I will pay my deposit on but this is my only concern. Any feedback would be great.
they said it won't be affected that much since their rotation site has been around for 10 years+. They are still the largest medical school in Nevada

they said it won't be affected that much since their rotation site has been around for 10 years+. They are still the largest medical school in Nevada
Do you think that we are still guaranteed to be in Henderson for the third year? Also, do you know typically where students do their 4th year? In Henderson, or other places?

Also, I would love to hear a few comments from anyone that wants to help out. Would you choose TUNCOM or Rocky Vista Utah? and why?

Also, I would love to hear a few comments from anyone that wants to help out. Would you choose TUNCOM or Rocky Vista Utah? and why?
Rocky Vista Utah is brand new. That alone has the potential for many problems.

Haven't ever been to Utah, but I'd bet there's no comparison with the amount of cool things you can do in Henderson/Vegas vs. RVU -UT.

Plus they have the dean that brought RVU -CO and KCUCOM to the top of board scores. Can only imagine the same thing will happen at TUNCOM. So academically they should be similar soon.

Plus with TUNCOM you don't have to travel a lot for rotations so that's nice.

TUNCOM pizza.

Although, at RVU you don't have to share facilities with PA/PT/etc. students.

Both have nice costs of living.

I'd imagine the RVU facilities will be incredible.

RVU has cut suits. So cool.

TUNCOM has lots of cool tracks you can do if you know what specialty you want to go to and they will have your clinical rotations reflect this which is REALLY cool IMO.

I think RVU had more research involvement.

TUNCOM seems to have great comradary (no idea how to spell that) though with the TUNCOM vs. Touro - CA events they do. Kinda nice!

Just brainstorming for you. Tough choice! Great position to be in though, congrats!

EDIT: Added another point and also wanted to say I've only seen RVU - CO but they said RVU - UT will be the exactly the same.

Last edited:
Haven't ever been to Utah, but I'd bet there's no comparison with the amount of cool things you can do in Henderson/Vegas vs. RVU -UT.

Actually St. George blows vegas out of the water. Vegas = strip and that is about it. St. George has access to Zions National Park and other stuff like that. Honestly though if you really wanted to do it the drive from St. George to Vegas isn't bad so you could commute either way.

Plus they have the dean that brought RVU -CO and KCUCOM to the top of board scores. Can only imagine the same thing will happen at TUNCOM. So academically they should be similar soon.

Plus with TUNCOM you don't have to travel a lot for rotations so that's nice.

TUNCOM pizza.

Although, at RVU you don't have to share facilities with PA/PT/etc. students.

Both have nice costs of living.

I'd imagine the RVU facilities will be incredible.

RVU has cut suits. So cool.

TUNCOM has lots of cool tracks you can do if you know what specialty you want to go to and they will have your clinical rotations reflect this which is REALLY cool IMO.

I think RVU had more research involvement.

TUNCOM seems to have great comradary (no idea how to spell that) though with the TUNCOM vs. Touro - CA events they do. Kinda nice!

Just brainstorming for you. Tough choice! Great position to be in though, congrats!

EDIT: Added another point and also wanted to say I've only seen RVU - CO but they said RVU - UT will be the exactly the same.

Thank you for your comments! I liked both of my interviews at these schools but the new school does scare me a little bit. But I have noticed that RVU seems to do better on boards. Also, I know that the facility for RVU in St George will probably be better than the one at TUNCOM.
The two new medical schools coming to the valley brings a little bit of a concern for me but it sounds like it wont affect it too much.
I do feel like between the two, the better choice would be Touro just because of being more established? Is being established super important in success on board scores and residency placements? Does anyone know if newer schools do significantly worse?

Thank you for your comments! I liked both of my interviews at these schools but the new school does scare me a little bit. But I have noticed that RVU seems to do better on boards. Also, I know that the facility for RVU in St George will probably be better than the one at TUNCOM.
The two new medical schools coming to the valley brings a little bit of a concern for me but it sounds like it wont affect it too much.
I do feel like between the two, the better choice would be Touro just because of being more established? Is being established super important in success on board scores and residency placements? Does anyone know if newer schools do significantly worse?

Roseman is 100% NOT opening up this year. Probably not likely in the coming years either. And even IF UNLV enrolls for 2017, their class will be 60 students which is literally nothing when you have multiple hospitals to rotate at.

For me personally I would probably go to TUNCOM simply because of it being more established. But I will add that RVU can't be looked at the same as other new schools because it is the same thing as the CO location. I would look at it more like KCU-Joplin. Board scores and matching will be mostly up to your efforts. You really won't gain an advantage by going to one or the other when it comes to matching. RVU does heavily focus on the boards, but I believe the new curriculum at TUNCOM will be really similar. That's my understanding.

When did you get the II? Also when did you submit the secondary? Thanks.

porc out

Submitted second week of August and II last week of September. I got the final review email 2 weeks before the II email.

Just received the final review email. I'm excited, but nervous at the same time lol.

For those that got rejected/waitlisted, how did you feel your interviews/the day went? Anyone walk out feeling great only to not get an acceptance?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if it's a good idea to stay at a hotel on the Vegas Strip?

School is about 15-20 mins from the strip. It seems like most people got a cheap hotel in Henderson, got a rental car, and went to the Strip either the day/night before to hang out or visited after the interview. The hotels on the strip will tend to be a lot more expensive than the hotels in Henderson. If you are planning to come a few days before your interview or stay a few days after to chill and actually visit Vegas, then it might be worth it to get the hotel on the strip.

I wouldn't. It's further away, they tend to be loud since everyone is partying, and it's just unneeded hassle considering Henderson has tons of options to stay in that are all relatively cheap.

You could stay on the strip and then Henderson no problem if you're thinking of seeing Vegas before the interview. I decided to spend a few days in Vegas before the interview, so I stayed on the strip Saturday night, then moved my stuff over to a Henderson hotel Sunday night before the Monday interview. Went well, didn't have any problems.

School is about 15-20 mins from the strip. It seems like most people got a cheap hotel in Henderson, got a rental car, and went to the Strip either the day/night before to hang out or visited after the interview. The hotels on the strip will tend to be a lot more expensive than the hotels in Henderson. If you are planning to come a few days before your interview or stay a few days after to chill and actually visit Vegas, then it might be worth it to get the hotel on the strip.

I wouldn't. It's further away, they tend to be loud since everyone is partying, and it's just unneeded hassle considering Henderson has tons of options to stay in that are all relatively cheap.

You could stay on the strip and then Henderson no problem if you're thinking of seeing Vegas before the interview. I decided to spend a few days in Vegas before the interview, so I stayed on the strip Saturday night, then moved my stuff over to a Henderson hotel Sunday night before the Monday interview. Went well, didn't have any problems.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I'm planning to spend a few days in Vegas before my interview, so I guess I'll just stay in that area to prevent the hassle of moving my luggage around.

For those that got rejected/waitlisted, how did you feel your interviews/the day went? Anyone walk out feeling great only to not get an acceptance?

I felt like my interview went perfectly! I was pretty aware of some deficiencies in my interview at another school where I was also waitlisted and was sure to address them while at TUN.

That being said- I walked in knowing my stats are below average which I'm pretty certain is ultimately the reason I was waitlisted here... There is a lot of weight placed on the interview but I have no doubt that grades still play a major role in the decision process even after the interview is done. Ill keep my fingers crossed for some movement in may favor in the spring!