UCF vs UF vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBox22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted people's opinion on UCF/UF/Georgetown. I'm a FL resident and I'm about to graduate from UF undergrad (which is one of the only reasons I don't want to go to UF, I DESPISE Gainesville, want to leave SO bad) but I don't know what to choose.
I think UCF is great, but their grading system is letter grades which I don't like, and their clinicals/residency spots are questionable. I'm sure everyone coming out of UCF will do awesome, but it's very new and unpredictable.
I like UF med school a lot, and P/F helps, but I want to get out of Gainesville so bad, it practically gives me a panic attack to think of having to live here for 4 more years. I don't know if its worth it if i'm miserable in the city I live in.
Georgetown is very cool, but the tuition would put me, possibly, in twice the amount of debt cause I'm a FL resident. I also don't think it would be that advantageous to go to Georgetown over one of the FL schools.

Please let me know what you all think!! I'm so excited that I even get to make this decision but I need SDN's opinion! :)

Members don't see this ad.

...Sounds like you answered your own question there :p

You pretty much sound like you want to go to Georgetown.

UCF - $49,380 total cost, Orlando, unranked USNWR
UF - $49,451 total cost, Gainesville, Top 50 USNWR
Georgetown - $69,835 total cost, DC, Top 50 USNWR

If cost weren't an issue, I would choose Georgetown solely based on location and clinical opportunities (full disclosure=I went to undergrad there so I'm a little biased). I can appreciate how much of an impact location and weather can have on your own happiness! Also, there are some pretty awesome clinical rotations in the DC area. Considering that both UF and Georgetown have exactly the same USNWR rank if you care about that sort of thing, financially you'd be better off choosing UF and saving $100k over the course of your med school education. I would not personally choose UCF over either UF or Georgetown because of how new it is.

So, for me, it would come down to a choice between cost and location. The sticker price of Georgetown is a lot, but unless you're dead set on going into suburban primary care, you won't really have a problem paying back your loans eventually. If you hate Gainseville that much, I see no reason to stay at UF, even though I agree P/F is much nicer than letter grades.

Congrats on your acceptances!

Status
Not open for further replies.