(un)OFFICIAL "I applied to 6,000 schools and didnt get any" THREAD STANDARDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
everybody here has good advice to give people that have had a hard time with the app process, but it drives me bonkers when people start threads saying "i got a 33, why didnt i get in" w/o more info. help us help you!. i thus impose this standard so people dont have to draw this info out over three pages of postings. please feel free to add to it as one would like.

Please dont post a thread like this without including the following:

1)MCAT score: individual scores, when taken

2)Application: # of schools applied to, which schools (or if you dont want to, perhaps tell how many schools in each group of 10 of the usnews, aka 5 top 30's, 5 top 20's, 3 top 10's) and WHEN COMPLETED, did you submit the apps on the deadline or on opening day? get all your LOR's in on time? how do you think they looked?

3)GPA: science and nonscience please, or at least a numerical approximation

4) Extracurriculars: do you have research, clinical experience or volunteer work? deficiencies in these areas have the potential to kill your app!

5) mitigating factors: why do you think you didnt get any acceptances? get a 3 on verbal and 15's on the rest? any felony drug arrests? are you 11? these things are good to know.

i know people like their privacy, so if you dont want to name names or numbers, give good approximations!

i got 30+ mcat, applied to 22 top20 and 30 schools, 3.5+ gpa, everything together with my app = good approximation

ive got good mcats and applied to a bunch of schools and have a great writing sample= bad approximation

Members don't see this ad.

woohoo! I second this.

we may need to bump this for a couple of days so people see it, since these threads get pushed back like crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody care to add anything to my list? wait, i meant to say bump.

opinionkitten said:
anybody care to add anything to my list? wait, i meant to say bump.

I bought a girl dinner and didnt get any.. wow that sucked. :(

Extracurricular Activities and other qualitative characteristics might be something to add. This could possibly fall under (4), but some might overlook this. For example, someone might not have enough extracurricular involvement or may have the standard cookie-cutter activities. This could be a mitigating factor whether or not an applicant realizes it.

Also, your title could be taken out of context. :D Edit: See post above mine!

Phil Anthropist said:
Extracurricular Activities and other qualitative characteristics might be something to add. This could possibly fall under (4), but some might overlook this. For example, someone might not have enough extracurricular involvement or may have the standard cookie-cutter activities. This could be a mitigating factor whether or not an applicant realizes it.

Also, your title could be taken out of context. :D Edit: See post above mine!

duly noted, ill modify # 4 as well.