University of Minnesota c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interview today! Mine didn't feel super conversational either. They wanted VERY specific examples and details for every question. I don't feel great about my answers but I don't feel terrible either. Overall though, I've been really impressed by how attentive and transparent UMN has been with all the webinars and detailed emails, and everyone is soo nice! Honestly UMN might be my top choice over my IS... :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Had my interview today! Mine didn't feel super conversational either. They wanted VERY specific examples and details for every question. I don't feel great about my answers but I don't feel terrible either. Overall though, I've been really impressed by how attentive and transparent UMN has been with all the webinars and detailed emails, and everyone is soo nice! Honestly UMN might be my top choice over my IS... :unsure:
I feel similarly! MN has been so attentive to us as prospective students and I am very hopeful… Even if I shouldn’t be! I felt positive about my interview but now as I look back, I question my responses. I did my best, that’s all I can do.

• Care
I feel similarly! MN has been so attentive to us as prospective students and I am very hopeful… Even if I shouldn’t be! I felt positive about my interview but now as I look back, I question my responses. I did my best, that’s all I can do.
Is it really an interview if you don't question all your life's decisions afterwards? :thinking:

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Really, even though I feel like I'll be rejected following the interview, I can't say enough positive about UMN throughout the application process. The webinars to learn more about the school plus how friendly and welcoming all the staff have been... Yeah. I'll certainly be applying again next cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I feel the same way, of the schools I applied to UMN is the farthest from my family and friends (and I don't love subzero temps) but their engagement with applicants has been stellar and they seem to not only care about the students but that their prospective students make educated choices. Top of my list tbh

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I feel the same way, of the schools I applied to UMN is the farthest from my family and friends (and I don't love subzero temps) but their engagement with applicants has been stellar and they seem to not only care about the students but that their prospective students make educated choices. Top of my list tbh
Same! I applied to UMN, KSU, and Mizzou and I've been SO impressed with UMN and KSU. If I don't get in this year I will definitely be reapplying to both schools next year.

Edit to say I'm sure Mizzou is also great but I didn't get an interview offer so my communication with them has been very limited.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone shed some light on UMN curriculum? When is tracking declared, it looks like 3rd/4th year? When do electives begin, again it looks like 3rd/4th year?

Edit: I misread and it looks like there are electives in years 1-3 but confused on how many you do per year and when tracking officially begins :)

Last edited:
Can anyone shed some light on UMN curriculum? When is tracking declared, it looks like 3rd/4th year? When do electives begin, again it looks like 3rd/4th year?

Edit: I misread and it looks like there are electives in years 1-3 but confused on how many you do per year and when tracking officially begins :)
There are electives offered every year and you can take as many/as few of them as you want. I think I've taken EDIT: 2 1 in my entire time here (I'm a 3rd year), but I had multiple classmates who took all the offered electives in a given semester and found it manageable.

We don't declare tracks until 3rd year (I think not until third year spring? My timeline might be slightly off since I stepped out of the curriculum after Y3F, so my declaring a track fell by the wayside while I was gone). Your track doesn't affect your didactic coursework in the first 5 semesters of the program; it only comes into play for third year spring and your rotations. So you still get a super solid foundation in everything before narrowing your focus a bit.

Last edited:
  • Care
There are electives offered every year and you can take as many/as few of them as you want. I think I've taken 1 in my entire time here (I'm a 3rd year), but I had multiple classmates who took all the offered electives in a given semester and found it manageable.

We don't declare tracks until 3rd year (I think not until third year spring? My timeline might be slightly off since I stepped out of the curriculum after Y3F, so my declaring a track fell by the wayside while I was gone). Your track doesn't affect your didactic coursework in the first 5 semesters of the program; it only comes into play for third year spring and your rotations. So you still get a super solid foundation in everything before narrowing your focus a bit.
Thank you!

We don't declare tracks until 3rd year (I think not until third year spring?
Can confirm this.

The other thing about the electives is that most of them occur in the evenings or during lunch. We technically fit all the required classes into the 8:00 am-5:00 pm period, minus an hour for lunch, so electives will require hours outside of that. I’ve only taken one elective which was entirely online learning modules, but some do require in-person synchronous attendance which is a drawback for a lot of people. No idea if this is the norm at other schools, but just wanted to add that.

Anyone trying to join the zoom Q&A and having to enter a meeting passcode again? Or know how to enter without the passcode? Thanks!

Nvm Figured it out!

Anyone trying to join the zoom Q&A and having to enter a meeting passcode again? Or know how to enter without the passcode? Thanks!
I’m also trying but don’t know how to get in without a passcode

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked, what % is the interview in overall decisions?

Sorry if this has been asked, what % is the interview in overall decisions?
1/3 academic, 1/3 non academic, 1/3 interview; if I remember the info correctly

• Care
Anyone else getting a bit overwhelmed prepping for this interview :)

Anyone else getting a bit overwhelmed prepping for this interview :)
Before my interview I went through all of the qualities they were looking for (in the email) and made bullet points of 1-3 specific occasions where i exhibited them. It at least helped me reflect better before hand. I found going through and prepping with a friend helped because sometimes other people will see qualities in you that you don't in yourself

Did everyone get the post-interview survey asking if they would attend an accepted students day *if* they were accepted to the program?

It looks like last year interviews ended around 2/5 and decisions were made by the 10th. Interviews are a lot later this year and look to be happening up until Saturday 2/11. I wonder if we will hear back the following week.

It looks like last year interviews ended around 2/5 and decisions were made by the 10th. Interviews are a lot later this year and look to be happening up until Saturday 2/11. I wonder if we will hear back the following week.
I can’t imagine them taking too much time considering accepted students day is so close and people need time to plan their visit

Reactions: 2 users
I'd expect the 15thish.

• Wow
  • Love
Did everyone get the post-interview survey asking if they would attend an accepted students day *if* they were accepted to the program?
How soon after your interview did you receive the survey? I interviewed this morning and just got an email about meet n greet/virtual events the rest of this week but no survey. I really enjoyed my interview and interviewers fwiw!

• Care
How soon after your interview did you receive the survey? I interviewed this morning and just got an email about meet n greet/virtual events the rest of this week but no survey. I really enjoyed my interview and interviewers fwiw!
I interviewed on Tuesday 1/31 and received the survey on Saturday 2/4!

I had my interview on Monday (2/6), and honestly felt like it went very well. However, I did black out when they said I was done answering questions so I 1000% did not hear when my interviewers said we should hear back by… Anyone know the answer?

Last edited:
I had my interview on Monday (1/6), and honestly felt like it went very well. However, I did black out when they said I was done answering questions so I 1000% did not hear when my interviewers said we should hear back by… Anyone know the answer?
I had mine 2/7 and my interviewer told me within the next few weeks but didn’t give me a definitive date

I had my interview on Monday (2/6), and honestly felt like it went very well. However, I did black out when they said I was done answering questions so I 1000% did not hear when my interviewers said we should hear back by… Anyone know the answer?
I just had mine and they said mid to end of February!

I’m feeling like it’ll be tomorrow

• Hmm
For my own sanity I'm not expecting anything until Friday.

I dug around and they did acceptance calls Thursday and rejection emails slightly after last cycle.

Did everyone get that email just now about filling out the interview feedback? My heart stopped for a second!

Did everyone get that email just now about filling out the interview feedback? My heart stopped for a second!
Yeah, and it says they're going to do admissions decisions "shortly". Today? Tomorrow?? Friday? It's a mystery.

• Hmm
Died shortly mean today ???????? Shortly, to me, means in the coming hours lol

Died shortly mean today ???????? Shortly, to me, means in the coming hours lol
They could have picked any other phrase to mean "within the next few days". Initially, I was thinking tomorrow, but "shortly" has me thinking tonight (either way my anxiety is now heightened and I want to projectile vomit).

And I would say I wouldn't expect them to call since the office closes in 39 minutes but then KSU sent interview stuff at like 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving day so 🤷

lol hoping for a little inside scoop

They could have picked any other phrase to mean "within the next few days". Initially, I was thinking tomorrow, but "shortly" has me thinking tonight (either way my anxiety is now heightened and I want to projectile vomit).
Part of me is also wondering if it will be tomorrow, after the survey to provide feedback expires. I just wonder because people might provide negative feedback if they don’t get in or something. This is just me providing excuses to myself lol