UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gaahhhh...I'm getting soo anxious about not getting a prematch...my stats are very similar with the people who have already been accepted...did y'all have a DO LOR?

I hope you haven't given up hope because all the previous responses had DO letters. (I assume you don't have one but maybe you do.)

I didn't have one and I've been accepted here. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed TCOM earlier this week about the ROME program. It took them 4 days to get back to me. So I'm guessing they are prettty backed up. This is what they said "You have already been reviewed by your
committee, and no new information can be presented to them. If you do
receive an offer from TCOM, you may then pursue ROME."

I guess this means I didn't prematch. I used to be so laid back. Waiting for the MCAT scores and to hear back from med schools has made me so OCD and neurotic. Looking back at my GPA though, I wish I had been a little more OCD and neurotic.

I emailed TCOM earlier this week about the ROME program. It took them 4 days to get back to me. So I'm guessing they are prettty backed up. This is what they said "You have already been reviewed by your

I guess this means I didn't prematch. I used to be so laid back. Waiting for the MCAT scores and to hear back from med schools has made me so OCD and neurotic. Looking back at my GPA though, I wish I had been a little more OCD and neurotic.

Well, you already knew you didn't pre-match on November 13th, and I don't think they've sent out another round- so they aren't going to tell you either way or else the other 'newly neurotic' people like me would be calling and bugging them all day long.

They just have to be a little secretive to be fair to everyone. Hang in there and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't email them about prematch. I emailed them about ROME. I interviewed on november 3rd so I wouldn't have prematched in the nov. 13th batch. Looking back at last years thread they should have sent out prematches last week, but they seem to be backed up(expanding the class and building a new building).

CITRUSCOOLER-I almost put my thumb throught the screen trying to kill the bug before I realized it was your avatar. lol.

when is the last day to send interview invits here?

The due date for the secondary was a while ago. They called me less then a week after I sent it in. I believe they have sent most interviews out, but they are expanding their class size quite a bit and I assume that after match and prematch they are going to have trouble filling it, so I would expect some more to go out after christmas and after match.

I called to ask about this, and the woman said that technically, all of the interview invitations have been sent out, however they reserve the right to send more out if they need to. She said for the first time since she had been working there, she expected that they would send some more out. They were short on interviews due to faculty and scheduling issues. So it sounds like anyone who hasn't heard anything yet is on "pre-interview hold."

Any guesses as to when the 2nd batch of pre-matches will go out?

Has anyone who pre-matched here gone back to take a second look?

I'm trying to decide the order to rank my schools for the match, and I interviewed here back in early August...

Any help/advice I could get would be great! I live in California so I'm hoping to visit the school before I go back in a few weeks...

Has anyone who pre-matched here gone back to take a second look?

I'm trying to decide the order to rank my schools for the match, and I interviewed here back in early August...

Any help/advice I could get would be great! I live in California so I'm hoping to visit the school before I go back in a few weeks...

I'm sure if you contacted admissions you could arrange to go on a tour/look around. I've been thinking of going back... but just because I'm so excited and want to be *present* in a medical school which has accepted me. ^.^ Anyway, the admissions people were so nice, I'm sure they would oblige you.

So if my application is still under review, there's still a SMALL chance that I might get an interview here? I practically stop hoping for TCOM because I haven't heart anything from them yet. But they didn't receive everything until November 24th.

So if my application is still under review, there's still a SMALL chance that I might get an interview here? I practically stop hoping for TCOM because I haven't heart anything from them yet. But they didn't receive everything until November 24th.

I'm in the same boat, panasonic - they received all of my stuff on Nov. 16. I contacted them on Dec. 5 or so, and Lynn said that if I haven't heard anything back then that I probably wouldn't be receiving an interview this year.

well that's a bummer. I know I shouldn't have turned in my stuff so late, but it's so weird to me how I get an interview at an MD school but not TCOM when my application looks a lot better for a DO school. Thanks though! I hope you got an interview elsewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
well that's a bummer. I know I shouldn't have turned in my stuff so late, but it's so weird to me how I get an interview at an MD school but not TCOM when my application looks a lot better for a DO school. Thanks though! I hope you got an interview elsewhere

Same thing happened to me last cycle. I interviewed at UTSA and USUHS, but TCOM showed me NO love

My stuff was in early, though.

I was expecting the prematches to come out today, but called and the girl said she hadn't seen any and did not believe they were coming out today. Has anyone heard anything???

I was expecting the prematches to come out today, but called and the girl said she hadn't seen any and did not believe they were coming out today. Has anyone heard anything???

I called for the same reason and I spoke to Mike about this. He said that they might send some out next week before break and that he wasn't sure. It seemed like they don't want to give a lot of pre-match offers out next week, since I guess they gave a lot out in the first batch already. I hope we all get an offer next week though! Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I talked to the admissions office today at 4pm cst and the lady I talked to said that they sent out offers today, they will be sending out offers tomorrow and they might be sending out offers on Wednesday. She also said to continue to check the status online because they will update that before they e-mail or call. Good Luck everybody I know how nerve racking this is.

i found out about my acceptance today by checking the application status page around 4pm
it's the best christmas present i could have ever hoped for!

good luck to everyone else!

I'm in too!!!!!!! I can hardly believe it. Fort Worth here I come!

I'm in too!!!!!!! I can hardly believe it. Fort Worth here I come!

*clapping!* I'm so excited for everybody who got in. I'm still reeling from my own acceptance... it's such an awesome feeling. Yay! :)

I was feeling really depressed earlier as a result of my empty inbox, but then I got the bright idea to check my application status... I got accepted too!!!! What a relief! Good luck to everyone still waiting. This process is so stressful.

Congratz to all of you who got accepted...What date did you all interview there?

my interview was on 11/19

Lynn called me this afternoon to confirm. She's such a nice person!

my interview was on 11/19

Lynn called me this afternoon to confirm. She's such a nice person!

Isn't she though? She was so sweet on interview day. So much enthusiasm.

Isn't she though? She was so sweet on interview day. So much enthusiasm.

Yes, she's a saint. I was a nervous wreck the morning of the interview, but Lynn's friendliness totally put me at ease. I was so thankful for her :oops:

Does anyone else still not have TCOM listed on their TMDSAS match list who interviewed there? I interview 11/3 and it i not yet on there. I emailed them both, but only TMDSAS has gotten back to me saying that I need to contact the school.

Another question about match. Do we need to send a written match list to TMDSAS? What is the specific procedure if we match at TCOM for match and acceptance?

Hey yea def. contact TCOM ASAP. I interviewed dec. 1 and TCOM has shown up in my match ranking list. Also my understanding is you go onto TMDSAS and rank your schools before jan. 15 and then sit back and wait until feb. 1, you don't have to submit it in writing or anything. Correct me if i'm wrong but make sure you get ahold of tcom before jan 15 so you can rank them! Good luck!

What kind of grading system does TCOM use?

4th year at TCOM here. We use a numerical scale for the first two years of academic courses and the clinical years are then Pass/Fail. I will hang around on the thread in case anybody else has any questions.

4th year at TCOM here. We use a numerical scale for the first two years of academic courses and the clinical years are then Pass/Fail. I will hang around on the thread in case anybody else has any questions.

thanks for posting jbp, I'm curious where you and other tcom students did the majority of your clinicals? Are most at JPS?

thanks for posting jbp, I'm curious where you and other tcom students did the majority of your clinicals? Are most at JPS?

Along that same line... how have the clinical years been? I've read some stories about how some rotations can be completely brutal, but I haven't heard about what it's like at TCOM specifically.

After much thought, I've declined my place at TCOM. Sorry it took so long, but I had a ridiculous time making a decision. So thats another open seat for the match, I hope one of you guys gets it!

I gave up my prematch offer to TCOM yesterday! Good Luck in the match!

Hey, TCOM is the only school I interviewed at and so of course I ranked it as #1 under my match preferences. I checked several times to make sure it was saved over the past couple weeks. But last night I checked my TMDSAS application, and the school name and rank are no longer listed. There's nothing there! I am freaking out and VERY concerned something went wrong. Did this happen to anyone else?????? Does anybody know what that means?? I emailed and called TMDSAS and TCOM with no reply yet. Please respond if you have any info.

Did you sign and mail in the acceptance form agreement that TCOM sent you? It was due back by January 15th...

umm acceptance form agreement? i didn't get anything like that. after my interview, i was just told to rank the school on my TMDSAS application and that was it....

umm acceptance form agreement? i didn't get anything like that. after my interview, i was just told to rank the school on my TMDSAS application and that was it....

SORRY, I read your post wrong :(

I thought it was the only school you pre-matched at. Sorry I don't know how I did that. I just knew they sent the form to my school address and I was at my parents house so I had to go up in person and sign it.

That is really weird it disappeared; I don't think any of us will know what to do. None of the schools I interviewed at disappeared. I think you'll just have to wait for a response from TCOM/TMDSAS. I know today is a federal holiday, but just in case the admissions office is open, you should call them. If it's closed, call tomorrow ASAP.

Hope it works out, Good luck! :xf:

I think what LRAccord is talking about only applies if you prematched there. I checked my TMDSAS page and the three that I ranked still show up.

yeah I found out that acceptance form agreement is if you pre-matched, thanks FoWoMatt. You and all my friends all have their schools and ranks still listed...I have NO idea why my school is no longer listed. Because it's MLK day, nobody is responding to my emails/calls. This is very frustrating! I am FREAKING OUT....:scared::(

Ok so I finally got in touch with both TMDSAS and TCOM.....apparently TCOM reviewed my file extensively and concluded that I am not going to be considered for acceptance any longer and that's why the school and rank was removed from my TMDSAS application. Um this was VERY shocking and extremely upsetting. Mike Kennedy told me that they usually contact me before the school is removed, but because of MLK day, I wasn't notified before. He told me that I would be a good candidate for the UNT medical masters program, and should apply next year. I was not even aware that they could reject applicants before match day, but i guess they can and they do....

@texasgirl: What were your stats? That is very weird if they interviewed you and then rejected you this late. Something must have come up.

To anyone else: After I interviewed TCOM never showed up on my TMDSAS match list. After I called and emailed them all, it was corrected. TCOM said that the mistake was on TMDSAS not them and TMDSAS said to contact TCOM. I don't know whos fault it was, but it was fixed on time. Good luck to everyone to on Match!

Of the almost 2 years of clinical rotations I have now done (WOW!), I have done 3 whole months at JPS and parts of other months.

Meaning, I was on a JPS only service for 3 months (Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, and ER). The parts of other months have been if I am working with a UNT doctor or another private doctor who works there sometimes but not all the time.

However, I have some classmates that have had a lot more time spent there on surgery, radiology, OB-GYN etc. I don't dig the county hospital so I have tried to avoid it mostly!

We have 2 other main affiliated hospitals, Plaza Medical Center (which is where all the osteopathic programs moved to when OMCT shut down) and some affiliation with Methodist Hospital in Dallas.

Some of the rotations are with doctors who are in private practice, so you go where they go!

Hope this helps! :luck:

Along that same line... how have the clinical years been? I've read some stories about how some rotations can be completely brutal, but I haven't heard about what it's like at TCOM specifically.

This is very rotation specific. Family medicine (100% outpatient with no weekends) is lighter than inpatient medicine (Q5-Q6 overnight call with only 4 days off the whole month).

They say learning how to work under stressful conditions is good for you. I guess I will find out soon! I am going in to Internal Medicine by the way, so if anyone has any specialty specific questions, I would be happy to answer them (any specialty, as I considered all of them at one point or another!!!).

Did you already interview for ROME?

no. If I get accepted I can then interview. It is supposed to be the other way around, but it wil be cool with them if I interview once accepted.