UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

this is my top school of choice...but Im missing out on being considered a texas resident by a few months...Grrrr

Anyone know when we hear back from this school since the secondary is open for anyone?

this is my top school of choice...but Im missing out on being considered a texas resident by a few months...Grrrr

Anyone know when we hear back from this school since the secondary is open for anyone?

Feel bad that this question is going unanswered >.> I seem to recall that last year I submitted all of my application stuff (MCAT, LOR's, Secondary, etc.) by early August, and got a call back in about a week. My interview ended up being in the beginning of September.

However, you might have a very different experience, especially if you're considered OOS. Some applicants didn't hear anything for a long time... a few heard nothing until February-ish, and ended up having interviews and getting accepted in April. Applying is a bumpy ride; you never know what's going to happen.

I won't be able to comment on the curriculum or anything for a couple weeks, but if you have application/interview questions, I'll try to help answer them. Also, don't forget to check out the interview feedback page here.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is also my one of my top two schools. I am a texas resident, although I am in school in Nashville, TN. Becoming a DO is something that I have wanted to do since I found out about it junior year of high school when I toured Midwestern. This school seems like the perfect fit for me, as in my family lives in the DFW area, im in state, and I want to be a primary care doctor.

I know this isnt exactly the rght forum for asking questions about what are my chances, but I am submitting my application in about a week and I wanna know if i have any chance. I have a 4.0 cum and sci gpa (thank god that they do not do +/- !!) but a 27P mcat with no section lower than a 8. I have plenty of leadership experience and community service, but not a ton of shadowing ie. maybe 90 hours. Whats my chances?

Also how do you guys feel about talking about faith in application like my P.statement? I feel very strongly that my calling is to become a doctor and help people that way, but I dunno if I should talk about it. Obviously it wont be the only thing in my PS but it is a big aspect of my decision. Any thoughts?

This is also my one of my top two schools. I am a texas resident, although I am in school in Nashville, TN. Becoming a DO is something that I have wanted to do since I found out about it junior year of high school when I toured Midwestern. This school seems like the perfect fit for me, as in my family lives in the DFW area, im in state, and I want to be a primary care doctor.

I know this isnt exactly the rght forum for asking questions about what are my chances, but I am submitting my application in about a week and I wanna know if i have any chance. I have a 4.0 cum and sci gpa (thank god that they do not do +/- !!) but a 27P mcat with no section lower than a 8. I have plenty of leadership experience and community service, but not a ton of shadowing ie. maybe 90 hours. Whats my chances?

Also how do you guys feel about talking about faith in application like my P.statement? I feel very strongly that my calling is to become a doctor and help people that way, but I dunno if I should talk about it. Obviously it wont be the only thing in my PS but it is a big aspect of my decision. Any thoughts?

If you are considered in state, you have a good chance with your stats. 27 is right around the TCOM average for MCAT scores, and your GPA is well above their average... I have a 3.0 undergrad and a 27 MCAT, and after speaking with the head of the adcom about a month ago, he told me that my MCAT was acceptable for their school... But I have strong ties with TCOM/UNTHSC, so... That might be why... :p

I think you need to stay away from faith in your PS. You just don’t know who will be reading your PS and interviewing you. Also, I have been editing/reading PSs for people this last month, I got through around 70+ of them. A few had a lot of faith based reasons for wanting to become a physician, and it was just hard to read. It didn’t catch my attention, and actually became to the point of too preachy. Personally, I think that reasons for going to med school should be universal for everyone or anyone that’s reading your PS. Keep it to why you think you will make a good doctor, your motivations for medicine, and your preparedness for this path... Personally, I feel faith is not really going to fulfill these goals of the PS.

Gotcha, ya i definitely wasnt gonna make it "too preachy" and just mention maybe a short couple sentences on my faith and not any specific religion. Thank you for the advice. Also what are your ties to the school? Did you have family that went there? Did they like it?

Gotcha, ya i definitely wasnt gonna make it "too preachy" and just mention maybe a short couple sentences on my faith and not any specific religion. Thank you for the advice. Also what are your ties to the school? Did you have family that went there? Did they like it?

My uncle graduated from TCOM in the early 90s... He loved going there, and he's a successful anesthesiologist now...

But my real ties are from getting my masters degree there. I did a 2 year masters with research. During my studies, I served as the Secretary of the graduate school. This allowed me to get to know some people... Many of the adcoms are PhDs and conduct research in the grad school. They are involved in many community service activities with the graduate students, so we planned a few events together (like a high school science fair and other community outreach). Plus, we had many events with TCOM, and we helped make policies for the whole school. I LOVED UNTHSC. It is the best environment to learn. It's a small school, but everyone is so friendly, and the professors are very down to earth. If you get an interview, I'm sure you will love it too. The school is so non pretentious, but they truly are the best DO school in the country and they take pride in that.

Wow well id say good luck but im not sure you need it! (but good luck anyway haha)

Ya I am very excited about the school, its philosophy and everything seems to fit perfectly with what I want to do (family medicine, underserved areas, then medical missions) not to mention its 20 min away from my family and in a great town. I am very excited to hear from them. I really do hope I land an interview, i feel like my interview skills are very strong and that as long as i can get my foot in the door there and get an interview ill do well. Best wishes for you. Have you heard anything back yet, ive heard that they do interviews as early as august! Im still finishing up my PS but it should be done in about a day or two, then ill submit and play the waiting game haha.

Wow well id say good luck but im not sure you need it! (but good luck anyway haha)

Ya I am very excited about the school, its philosophy and everything seems to fit perfectly with what I want to do (family medicine, underserved areas, then medical missions) not to mention its 20 min away from my family and in a great town. I am very excited to hear from them. I really do hope I land an interview, i feel like my interview skills are very strong and that as long as i can get my foot in the door there and get an interview ill do well. Best wishes for you. Have you heard anything back yet, ive heard that they do interviews as early as august! Im still finishing up my PS but it should be done in about a day or two, then ill submit and play the waiting game haha.

I haven’t heard anything, but I called a few weeks ago and they said they haven’t even uploaded the applications yet... So they will probably be extending invites in a few weeks for early August. Last summer they had interviews at the end of July... I had to watch them all touring the school out of my lab window. :'(

Good luck to you! I feel the same way about interviewing! If I can just get in there, I know I will do well… We just need a chance!

Are you living in Fort Worth right now?

oh god that must have been killer to watch those people be where you wanted to be! Sucks.

Yes a chance is all we need : )

No, I go to school in Nashville at Belmont University. Its a private small school about a block away from Vanderbilt. I have lived in Grapevine, TX though for about 12 years other than being off to college. I havent become a resident of TN so I am still a TX resident which rocks. I very much want to stay in Texas for Med school and beyond so I will be able to talk about that in my secondary im sure. Good luck. Im about 3/4 done with my personal, its just too dang long! So broad of questions they are asking and so little space to answer fully!

If you are considered in state, you have a good chance with your stats. 27 is right around the TCOM average for MCAT scores, and your GPA is well above their average... I have a 3.0 undergrad and a 27 MCAT, and after speaking with the head of the adcom about a month ago, he told me that my MCAT was acceptable for their school... But I have strong ties with TCOM/UNTHSC, so... That might be why... :p

I think you need to stay away from faith in your PS. You just don't know who will be reading your PS and interviewing you. Also, I have been editing/reading PSs for people this last month, I got through around 70+ of them. A few had a lot of faith based reasons for wanting to become a physician, and it was just hard to read. It didn't catch my attention, and actually became to the point of too preachy. Personally, I think that reasons for going to med school should be universal for everyone or anyone that's reading your PS. Keep it to why you think you will make a good doctor, your motivations for medicine, and your preparedness for this path... Personally, I feel faith is not really going to fulfill these goals of the PS.

Which ADCOM if you don't mind me asking?

I have shadowed at TCOM, and was told by an ADCOM that if the school likes ya, a 23+ MCAT with good ECs would be competitive.

Last edited:
how important is it to TCOM, if we get a letter from a DO? I didn't get one from a DO, would I be at a disadvantage?

how important is it to TCOM, if we get a letter from a DO? I didn't get one from a DO, would I be at a disadvantage?

Several people in my class got in without, though I happened to have one when I applied. I don't think it puts you at a terrible disadvantage, but if you can get one it could only help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading posts on SDN for 2 years now but this is my first post ever. I'm posting because I got a call from TCOM on Fri for an interview on Aug. 3rd and I floating on air right now :D

Also my app was sent to the school on June 12th and I finished my secondary June 1st.

GL to all of you and I hope to see you guys at the interview.

I've been reading posts on SDN for 2 years now but this is my first post ever. I'm posting because I got a call from TCOM on Fri for an interview on Aug. 3rd and I floating on air right now :D

Also my app was sent to the school on June 12th and I finished my secondary June 1st.

Very nice, good to know they are starting their interview invites! GL at the interview.

Do you mind posting your stats? Also, were your LORs sent out with your application on June 12th?

I also got a call friday for an interview, I was shocked because my application was not sent until July 3rd and I submitted my secondary on June 28th.

Noshie My LOR was attached on like July 10th

By sent I mean transmitted to schools

Do you mind posting your stats? Also, were your LORs sent out with your application on June 12th?

My cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.56 MCAT: 27O and yes my LORs went send with my primary.

Bobcat are you scheduled for the 3rd? If so do you have any idea on where to stay the night before?

I also got a call friday for an interview, I was shocked because my application was not sent until July 3rd and I submitted my secondary on June 28th.

Noshie My LOR was attached on like July 10th

By sent I mean transmitted to schools

Good luck on interview. That's a fast process I guess.

I am from Sugar Land, TX and currently waiting on primary to be processed soon. Hopefully instate status help.

My cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.56 MCAT: 27O and yes my LORs went send with my primary.

Bobcat are you scheduled for the 3rd? If so do you have any idea on where to stay the night before?

I am scheduled for the 3rd but I live in Fort Worth currently, so I wont be getting a hotel, but there are several hotels that are within 10 min of campus.

Good luck on interview. That's a fast process I guess.

I am from Sugar Land, TX and currently waiting on primary to be processed soon. Hopefully instate status help.

Thanks Cushing

and yea I was real surprised to get such an early interview considering my stats are sub par for SDN standards

Last edited:
was wondering if anyone else has the july 29th interview? getting to forthworth from dallas by 7:30 is pretty tough! but well worth it since TCOM is definitely my first choice. good luck on everyone else's interview, and hopefully future classmate? hahaha

Got a call last night for an interview Aug 6th! Good luck everyone!:)

congrats steph!

I'm also interviewing on the 29th.

Just wondering if any of you guys here were familiar with the TCOM interview process and what to expect in the interview.

Any help is greatly appreciated and good luck to you all :)

congrats steph!

I'm also interviewing on the 29th.

Just wondering if any of you guys here were familiar with the TCOM interview process and what to expect in the interview.

Any help is greatly appreciated and good luck to you all :)

congrats!
as far as I know from reading the feedbacks, interviewers at tcom tend to be more laid back and conversational. although reading up on current health care reform wouldn't hurt. reviewing your tmdsas application wouldn't be a bad idea either since they'll probably ask your about your ECs
good luck!

Is anybody interviewing on the 3rd?

Interview on Aug 31 :)
Got an invitation on July 21st. I'm out of the country until late August so scheduled the interview late.

My primary was transmitted 7/13, secondary submitted 7/15.
Really excited for the school!

Ah, I'm just so gosh-darned happy for the people who have gotten interviews already! Be sure to let us know how it goes.

That being said, I am getting pretty impatient with TMDSAS. They need to finish processing my application already! Haha. It's been 5 weeks! Although it is pretty scary that as little as one week after it's sent in I could get an interview invite. :eek:

Does anyone know if TCOM has accepted any Canadians in the past? Also what are the out of state entry requirements? Do you think a 3.9 gpa with a 27 mcat (6 in verbal) will be competitive with lots of ecs, volunteering, athletics, research and even do shadowing?

Hi everyone!

when did yall submit your primary to TMDSAS? I submitted mine June 23 and it's still processing. This waiting process is ridiculous.

BTW...Congrats to those who received interviews. Hopefully I will receive 1 as well.

AHHH! TMDSAS submitted my application to all of the schools today! Now all I'm waiting on is for my school to send in their committee letter! :eek: Have any of you gotten invites without having all of your supplemental materials sent in? I'm sure my advisor is cranking out the letter as quickly as she can, but I'm thinking it'll still take them a little while to verify that as well...

Hi everyone!

when did yall submit your primary to TMDSAS? I submitted mine June 23 and it's still processing. This waiting process is ridiculous.

BTW...Congrats to those who received interviews. Hopefully I will receive 1 as well.

i turned in mine on may 17th because a friend keep fussing me about turning it in super early. it took about a month before everything was in order. apparently they are really slow this year due to the new system or something. so just be patient =/. it's hard, but reading funny SDN threads make passing the time a little easier haha
good luck!

AHHH! TMDSAS submitted my application to all of the schools today! Now all I'm waiting on is for my school to send in their committee letter! :eek: Have any of you gotten invites without having all of your supplemental materials sent in? I'm sure my advisor is cranking out the letter as quickly as she can, but I'm thinking it'll still take them a little while to verify that as well...

i know you can get interviews without all the supplemental material from out of state school, not sure about texas. i also know texas A&M needs everything before they'll look at your application, maybe that's true for all texas schools?
good luck on your application process though
also, beets aren't half bad

there are not any fees for TCOM right?? I submitted my secondary application today and my TMDSAS was sent a couple weeks back.. is that all i need to do now? Thanks in advance

I got an interview!! Im super excited.

good :luck: everyone!

Hey guys,

I have a question for you. I'm in the process of setting up a campus visit for in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what is involved. Do they set up a tour for you? Set you up to meet with current students/faculty? I know that I have an appointment with someone from admissions, but other than that, I'm clueless.

Other than that, is it okay (or even preferred) to bring family members to show that you've got a good support system? Or does it make you seem less independent? What are you supposed to wear? Haha. I'm only nervous because I know the guy I'm meeting with does interviews, so I want to make a good first impression without coming off as overly awkward (which might be nigh impossible...). Do you think what goes down during this campus visit could influence my application?

Other than that, is it okay (or even preferred) to bring family members to show that you've got a good support system? Or does it make you seem less independent? What are you supposed to wear? Haha. I'm only nervous because I know the guy I'm meeting with does interviews, so I want to make a good first impression without coming off as overly awkward (which might be nigh impossible...). Do you think what goes down during this campus visit could influence my application?

If the person that is giving you the tour also interviews you I would see that as an advantage. A tour would probably be a more relaxed setting, and while he will be the one talking about the school, you can be the one asking the questions.
Come interview time you would also have some rapport built with him.

So I got a call that friday for an interview and scheduled for the 5th. But then I got a call today and said that there were no interviews left on the 5th and that I would need to go on the 12th. Does anyone else think that's bad?

So I got a call that friday for an interview and scheduled for the 5th. But then I got a call today and said that there were no interviews left on the 5th and that I would need to go on the 12th. Does anyone else think that's bad?

No, it would have been bad if they called you back and said there were no interviews left.... at all.

Anybody who attended the 29th interviews care to let us know how it went?

good luck:luck:

Last edited:
also, the people at the office are very friendly and made the entire process a great experience.

Thanks for posting hola.

Hey guys, how long did it take you guys to hear back (receive interviews) after TMDSAS transmitted your apps? I had mine transmitted 7/16 and haven't heard anything since. Did they pass me over? :(

How long did it take for you all to receive the Interview Day Agenda via email after the invite? I'm trying to book my flight for the interview at the end of the month and want to know what the schedule is like.

Hey guys, how long did it take you guys to hear back (receive interviews) after TMDSAS transmitted your apps? I had mine transmitted 7/16 and haven't heard anything since. Did they pass me over? :(

Mine was transmitted 7/12, secondary completed within a week and got invited 7/21. But don't worry! It's still early in the cycle to be getting interview invitations.

How long did it take for you all to receive the Interview Day Agenda via email after the invite? I'm trying to book my flight for the interview at the end of the month and want to know what the schedule is like.

I got the confirmation email after about 4 days, mostly because the phone call was on a friday and i'm sure they don't work on weekends. If you're still unsure you should email caroline gourley, but as long as they called you I think you're in the clear. I did the same thing; booking a flight before confirmation email and got worried, and it worked out fine.

I actually got mine transmitted on june 8th, early I know but this is still early in the process. I'm sure they didn't pass you up or anything because they will be holding interviews until december. I think if you're stats and ECs are okay(no need to be superb) they will probably give you an interview.

good luck!!