UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am taking my mcat June 16. Would it be a bad idea to apply through the early decision program since I won't have scores until july 16? Also, can I submit my application without my letters of recommendation?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking my mcat June 16. Would it be a bad idea to apply through the early decision program since I won't have scores until july 16? Also, can I submit my application without my letters of recommendation?

Thanks.
Your application won't be complete until you submit your letters. Also, don't do early decision unless you're sure you're going to get in. Basically, you better get at least a 30 MCAT and have at least a 3.6 cGPA and sGPA for TCOM. That's just an estimate. But you're severely limiting your chances of an interview at other schools by doing the early decision program.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I got accepted to TCOM yesterday. I had given up hope this late in the game. So for those of you still on the wait list; there is still some movement going on!
:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I got accepted to TCOM yesterday. I had given up hope this late in the game. So for those of you still on the wait list; there is still some movement going on!
:xf:

Do you mind if I ask for your stats? Also how did they contact you? Thank you.

Do you mind if I ask for your stats? Also how did they contact you? Thank you.

26 MCAT
3.6 GPA
3.75 Science GPA

My status got changed first online on MyHSC. A few hours later I got a call (which I missed, so I actually didn't speak to them until this morning). They said that my paperwork and acceptance letter will be arriving in the mail next week. Good luck to you!

Bump! Anyone hear anything??

Hello,
THis is my first post on this thread. I was accepted to tcom back in november and i am very excited to start medical school this july. I just had a few questions regarding the curriculum. How different is the teaching style/ content at TCOM from that of other texas md schools? I just heard that osteopathic students learn less biochem and embryo. Is that correct? Also how much time do students spend learning OMM? I will appreciate your input.

Thanks

Hello,
THis is my first post on this thread. I was accepted to tcom back in november and i am very excited to start medical school this july. I just had a few questions regarding the curriculum. How different is the teaching style/ content at TCOM from that of other texas md schools? I just heard that osteopathic students learn less biochem and embryo. Is that correct? Also how much time do students spend learning OMM? I will appreciate your input.

Thanks

Who told you that osteopathic students learn less biochem and embryo? I'm pretty sure TCOM covers both of those subjects in its entirety along with OMM. I think we have OMM for two years totaling something like 300 hrs?? :confused: (I don't remember the exact number)

Yay! Got the call yesterday and got accepted off the waitlist! Don't stop believing! Good luck all...

OMG! I just got the call and was accepted off the waitlist!!! :D You guys have no idea how happy I am right now... Like no idea... Haha. I actually already got an apartment in Arizona, and I had the movers set up to come and take my stuff in 2 weeks... I've been saying goodbyes to everyone I can think of! And now I get to stay in Fort Worth with my friends and family!!! This is just too much for my heart to take right now... :rolleyes:

OMG! I just got the call and was accepted off the waitlist!!! :D You guys have no idea how happy I am right now... Like no idea... Haha. I actually already got an apartment in Arizona, and I had the movers set up to come and take my stuff in 2 weeks... I've been saying goodbyes to everyone I can think of! And now I get to stay in Fort Worth with my friends and family!!! This is just too much for my heart to take right now... :rolleyes:

Wow. No way! This is awesome, its pretty great to see good outcomes come from all these admissions fiascos! CONGRATS!

That's awesome!! I've read the long process you've been through, and you definitely deserve this acceptance :) Congrats classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! You totally deserve it!

Thanks guys! :D You are all part of the reason I made it this far...

Congrats!!! Looks like you won't have to move after all. :D

man that's great noshie. I can only hope to have classmates like you in the future.

Don't want to sound creepy, but I have been checking up on whether or not you get in... CONGRATS!!! That is so exciting. :)

I have finally been pulled of the waitlist and will be attending TCOM this fall. I was wondering if, especially those who have already settled in, you have any contacts of nearby apartments that are nice and at a good price to rent, one bedroom and would also do with a studio. Also anyone know if there is a possibility of getting any scholarship from tcom. I feel 18500 is alot and without any help from them it would be difficult. I would like to get suggestions from people please.

I have finally been pulled of the waitlist and will be attending TCOM this fall. I was wondering if, especially those who have already settled in, you have any contacts of nearby apartments that are nice and at a good price to rent, one bedroom and would also do with a studio. Also anyone know if there is a possibility of getting any scholarship from tcom. I feel 18500 is alot and without any help from them it would be difficult. I would like to get suggestions from people please.

I think that the scholarship deadline has passed. You weren't missing much - there are very few scholarships to begin with, and even less for first years. The loans will cover you completely - be sure to fill out your financial aid paperwork (entrance counseling, MPN, etc.). The financial aid people are very helpful, so don't be afraid to call them.

Don't want to sound creepy, but I have been checking up on whether or not you get in... CONGRATS!!! That is so exciting. :)

Sooo creepy! Haha. But very sweet! Thank you!!!

Join the fb page, there is a lot about apartments on there.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/home.php?sk=group_123912154334486&ap=1

I do have to say though, when I was looking for one last week, a lot of the complexes were full, so I had to rent a condo. And it is pretty expensive, though only 1/2 a mile away from the school so I can walk. Congrats and good luck! I look forward to meeting you soon!

Well, it finally happened, and I was accepted into TCOM this past week! I'm so excited to get started. Good luck to everyone who may still be waiting!

Well, it finally happened, and I was accepted into TCOM this past week! I'm so excited to get started. Good luck to everyone who may still be waiting!

Awesome!!! Congrats! Can't wait to meet you! Don't forget to join the Facebook page! :D

Hello future classmates!

Do any of y'all know anything about textbooks? Should we get the recommended or required list or just get something else? Any tips would be helpful :)

Alot of the upperclassmen have said that there is no need to purchase most of the books on the list. Some of them are useful like Netter's or BRS but in any case, it would be best to hold off on buying them until orientation at least. If you're not on the TCOM 2015 FB group, you should join because it's a great resource for information like this. :)

Hello future classmates!

Do any of y'all know anything about textbooks? Should we get the recommended or required list or just get something else? Any tips would be helpful :)

Hey,
Whats the dress code for OMM classes? I heard one has to take off his/her shirt during OMM class. Is that correct? What if its against your religion to do that? Can somebody give me more info on the omm classes?

Thanks

Hey,
Whats the dress code for OMM classes? I heard one has to take off his/her shirt during OMM class. Is that correct? What if its against your religion to do that? Can somebody give me more info on the omm classes?

Thanks

No. I've never taken off my shirt and it hasn't been an issue. If your partner needs to feel something, they can go under the shirt if they need to. If it's against your religion they definitely won't make you do that.

I played a stupid prank at a community college I attended for summer classes a couple of years ago. I had one year probation and completed May of last year. No charges, nothing showed up on transcripts. My stats are darn good for TCOM and I am a TX resident.. Not sure if this factor need to be mentioned? If mentioned, does it cause my TCOM application weeded out?

My wife and I just got a call for interviews at TCOM for the 2012 class. I know the breakdown of the interview, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or "pearls of wisdom" for the interview? Wish us luck for August 4th!

My wife and I just got a call for interviews at TCOM for the 2012 class. I know the breakdown of the interview, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or "pearls of wisdom" for the interview? Wish us luck for August 4th!

They're giving out interviews already? Wow, seems very soon!

Anyways, make sure you know a good deal about the Osteopathic philosophy because there is a good chance you will be asked about it and asked why it interests you. I was also asked "how would you respond if a patient who was unfamiliar with what a DO was asked you about your qualifications," so be sure to have thought about something like that.

The second interviewer was the one that asked me about Osteopathic stuff. The first one was a typical interview with the same basic questions you hear about. Both interviews were very casual and relaxed.

Good luck!

They're giving out interviews already? Wow, seems very soon!

Anyways, make sure you know a good deal about the Osteopathic philosophy because there is a good chance you will be asked about it and asked why it interests you. I was also asked "how would you respond if a patient who was unfamiliar with what a DO was asked you about your qualifications," so be sure to have thought about something like that.

The second interviewer was the one that asked me about Osteopathic stuff. The first one was a typical interview with the same basic questions you hear about. Both interviews were very casual and relaxed.

Good luck!
Also, try to be up to date about what's going on in health care reform. And be able to explain aspects of your application well.

@Noshie or anyone else --

If anyone is a current student or newly accepted student, I will be in Dallas in a few weeks. I really love TCOM, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to chat about the school or anything. Also, any recommendations on where to stay if you want to check out the school? Thanks!

If anyone is a current student or newly accepted student, I will be in Dallas in a few weeks. I really love TCOM, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to chat about the school or anything. Also, any recommendations on where to stay if you want to check out the school? Thanks!

Not to sure if newly admitted students can be much of a help. Well be in school 2 weeks and head deep in cell science lol. We can get you all sq away w app, interview, match and preorientation info. Did u get an invite to come ck out the school in a cpl weeks or will u just be in the dfw area?

I live right down the street from the school... I don't mind discussing TCOM with you over coffee or something! Like Slammer said, our classes start Monday, so I know I will be knee deep... Haha. Are you coming to interview? Or just visiting Dallas and wanting to check out TCOM? I was a grad student there for a few years, so I know a lot about the school. But I am only a first year starting out right now, so I may not be much help if you have specific questions about TCOM. However, I love talking about the application cycle (as you guys can tell by my posts, :laugh:) so I could be of some help if you have any questions about applying to Texas schools, or osteopathic medicine in general. Just message me if you need anything! :D

Don't know if this helps, but being the starting class of 2015 at TCOM, I was waitlisted initially with alot of ec's, a 3.89 Gpa , a 25p mcat, but no DO lor. That March after being waitlisted I shadowed a DO who graduated from there. ( talk about lucky!). He wrote my a belated lor and the next week I was accepted. So, yes, a DO lor can help!

Good luck future student doctors