This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureRomanianDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Could someone give some insight in choosing between these schools? I went into the VCOM interview without any expectations, and left the day incredibly impressed by the facilities, the friendliness and dedication of the professors, and the high tech building and resources. It was also a neat perk that you basically don't need to buy textbooks, since they are handed down year after year, many on pdf. Spartanburg didn't really appeal to me, but it's close enough to Greenville, which is a really nice city. VCOM-CC would also be great since it's two hours away from home.

At Campbell, I had visited the school back in 2013 when it was first starting up. That day, it was pretty empty around the school, and didn't have a very lively feel to it. When I interviewed, it was soon after the hurricane, so again the school was pretty empty, which didn't give it the best "feel." The SIM center was incredible, one of the best I've seen, and all the rest of the technology and resources were brand new and fantastic. The faculty are super knowledgable and I'd love to be taught by them and work with them. My major reservation is that next year will be the first graduating class, so there is not track record for matching yet. By the time I graduate, it'll be four years later, so maybe the match lists will be pretty solid by then. VCOM CC doesn't have their match list posted online, and I'm not sure what that indicate about its strength. Many Campbell students have the opportunity to rotate at Wake Tech, which is excellent. In comparison, I don't know much about the rotation hospitals for VCOM.

In terms of policies, curriculums, culture, dedication to community service and primary care, along with strength of faculty seems to be very similar. The main question is the strength of the clinical rotations and the match strength (at least for VCOM).

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Although both schools have a lot of question marks when it comes to match success and COMLEX Scores, I think VCOM-CC has more academic resources and a more established name within the Appalachian osteopathic community, which makes a big difference when finding residency positions. As a branch campus of VCOM-Virginia, VCOM-CC shares in a lot of their success and resources such as clinical rotation sites.

It is also important to note that VCOM-CC is fully accredited by COCA while CUSOM still has only provisional accreditation. The first class of VCOM-CC started in the Fall of 2011 so their graduates are now in residency and I have yet to see or find their match list (if someone has it please let me know). Campbell's first class started in 2013 and clinical rotations started last year.

At the end of the day if you're interested in Primary Care or other less competitive specialties I think you will be fine at either school. It all depends on where you think you will fit better in terms of living conditions, social support and CoA.

Last edited:
Idk how the two stack up really but fwiw I eliminated Campbell solely based on the mandatory attendance. There's no better way to waste time in med school and all in all make your life harder than by going to lectures, and this is coming from someone who religiously attended lectures in undergrad.

PS: moot point if VCOM-CC also has mandatory attendance, then best of luck to you my friend

PPS: Go Heels!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how the two stack up really but fwiw I eliminated Campbell solely based on the mandatory attendance. There's no better way to waste time in med school and all in all make your life harder than by going to lectures, and this is coming from someone who religiously attended lectures in undergrad.

PS: moot point if VCOM-CC also has mandatory attendance, then best of luck to you my friend

PPS: Go Heels!

Unfortunately, VCOM-CC has 80 or 85% (can't remember) mandatory attendance.

Personally, given the choice I'd pick the more established school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

VCOM-CC students have the opportunity to rotate at Spartanburg Regional (one of the few Level 1 trauma centers in the state) which also has MD students from MUSC doing their rotations as well. If that even matters in the end. Other rotations sites include large Level 2 hospitals in Spartanburg, Greenville, and Anderson, SC. Most have MD students and residents rotating their along with VCOM students. I guess what I am trying to get at is people on here make a big deal about DO schools not having the best clinical rotations and from what I have gathered VCOM-CC can offer wards based core rotation sites that are identalical in their quality to what an established MD school can provide (aside from being at whatever school's main teaching hospital).

On a side note, the match lists can be found in their student year book which is on their website. Takes a little digging to be honest. I hope this helps you with making a pro/con list along with everything else that has been said. Congrats on the multiple acceptances!

I'm OOS for both schools but it's really weird that I thought I liked campbell better. Wakemed is also tier 1 trauma if I'm correct but we were told it was not in the same county. I also think the faculty at campbell has MD affiliation from well known schools. I guess outside of that it really is down to the feeling you get for the program. What I'm curious about is that vcom cc talks abt the ppl matching into wake forest but I wonder how that will change once campbell gains ground. I'm also curious if the initially md only academic hospitals in the area will be receptive to taking instate DO graduates.

I hear what you are saying. I was viewing WakeMed as Campbell's only "big" hospital where only a very small number actually rotate. The small chance of having the opportunity to be one of those few lucky students would not be enough to sway me either way. I am assuming, because of the relatively above average Level 1 scores reported by a current student on here, that Campbell will have a good match. No way to tell how receptive Chapel Hill or Duke will be, but for right now no DOs in Chapel Hill's Peds or IM residency (same with Duke). ECU is pretty DO friendly at the moment. Can't comment on Wake in Winston Salem because I could never find a list of residents. Overall the area's academic centers are pretty DO unfriendly but hopefully that will change by the time either of us graduates just because of the resources and opportunity in the Triangle area.

I have a match list from the VCOM-CC class of 2015 that I will try to compile and post here later today. In my opinion it looks good and I would not worry about VCOM's ability to place a student in an academic residency setting across multiple specialties.

I know wake forest definitely does accept family medicine residents that are DO. I am thinking there is a scattering of DOs in other departments. This is me saying based on the fact that VCOM cc does send over a dozen DOs over there. I'm not sure how this relation will change now that Campbell is about to graduate its first class; additionally, their administration spared no time in applying for ACGME residencies. In terms of those wanting to specialize though, I feel like you would be limited at Campbell for the moment just because they are still establishing hospital relations but the speed at which they have been doing things can mean good things to come for entering classes.

I will say it seems like Campbell has started off doing everything the right way. As far as picking between the two, I guess I would hold both acceptances (if you have the financial capability) and wait to see where Campbell ends up putting people in the match. Other things like dress code and attendance vary. I know Campbell requires ties for guys and both have somewhat mandatory attendance. So if I was the OP, I would wait to see the match results and scholarships that Campbell may offer and go from there.

Point of correction. They are fine with bow ties as well. I know it makes a difference for a guy haha.
Personally, you'd be putting down nearly 3k if you put deposit for both schools. That's a lot of money to throw. I'd try to ask cusom more abt their residency ties. Ask how receptive instate academic hospitals have been to their students. You already know how great vcom is. But don't forget that cusom is actually part of a university. It's not a straightforwaRd decision. You can even ask board scores of both schools and compare.

Either way if you find answers I think it prudent to post and let us know. this is not a decision where an online Forum can sway your decision.

Last edited:
Haha that's actually a good point. +1 for bow ties.

There are certainly many factors to consider. I just know that VCOM doesn't really make a lot of their outcomes blatantly public, as in you actually have to dig for them. I don't think you can go wrong with either school. Getting into school is the first step and everything after (board scores l and residency) is basically up to you and how hard you want to work to get to where you want to go.

Although this thread is basically dead I figured I would still give a snapshot of a match list for VCOM-CC from 2015...

Anesthesiology-
MCV, UCONN, MCW, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Wake Forest

Dermatology-
4 total (all AOA)

EM-
South Carolina, Rochester, MCV, and multiple community matches

General Surgery-
9 total with one at MUSC

IM-
UF, South Carolina, Mississippi, USC-Greenville, VA Tech and many community matches

Neurosurgery-
1 total

Ortho-
1 total

ENT-
1 total

Diagnostic Rads-
4 total

Rad Onc-
1 total (really surprising)

Peds-
South Carolina, MUSC, ECU, Wake, Kentucky, Tennessee, UF and multiple community matches

Reactions: 1 users