Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumalum

7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Wondering about your thoughts on these two schools.

I am a resident of Illinois, but the tuition ends up being the same since M2 and M3 at U of I costs 76k per year (that's Illinois legislature for you). Anyways, the only thing I care about is how much personal expenses I receive, and both schools are comparable.

It's hard to compare match lists since U of I is spread everywhere (I would graduate from the Rockford campus) and the class sizes are so different. I do know that VCU gets way more early clinical experience and its M1 building isn't composed of just two rooms like the Urbana campus. However, I've heard that the hospitals in Rockford don't have residents so med students get more responsibilities. Then again, the hospital system at VCU is pretty amazing.

If it matters, I have an interest in internal medicine

phnerd1105

5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Medical Student
Jun 21, 2011
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Why do you say this?
UIC is has been deteriorating their class strength for years by becoming one of the (if not THE) most expensive public medical in the country. Some schools with high rankings or excellent research opportunities can justify a tuition increase, but UIC has neither. Although it is just a personal belief, I think that UIC is becoming more of a "last resort" school than a "first choice" school for many of its applicants, especially the OOS applicants considering their extreme tuition and lower ranking. This showed when I was talking to students during my interview day... they didn't seem happy at all (in Peoria at least)

I also had a horrible interviewing experience, a track placement based on where I lived and not on my life experiences, and I don't agree with the fact that the only scholarships this state school gives out is to OOS students.

I only have exposure to the Peoria and Rockford campus, so I will only attest to those two track sites:
They have clinical exposure during the start of M2 and not M1, and if you're placed in Rockford or Peoria you won't be exposed to near the research opportunities that you would in Chicago. The Peoria campus is outdated, and the Rockford campus will soon be swarming with over a thousand new nursing students all using the exact same study space as med students (which, from what students say is already crowded without that addition).

I think you can see where I am going with this.
Go VCU.

phnerd1105

5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Medical Student
UIC is has been deteriorating their class strength for years by becoming one of the (if not THE) most expensive public medical in the country. Some schools with high rankings or excellent research opportunities can justify a tuition increase, but UIC has neither. Although it is just a personal belief, I think that UIC is becoming more of a "last resort" school than a "first choice" school for many of its applicants, especially the OOS applicants considering their extreme tuition and lower ranking. This showed when I was talking to students during my interview day... they didn't seem happy at all (in Peoria at least)
It probably is just your personal belief. I interviewed in Peoria as well, and encountered nothing of that sort. Every student I met was happy, helpful, and glad they chose UIC. UIC was actually my first choice out of the schools I was accepted to. While I'm not happy about the high tuition, it's still much cheaper than any OOS school I would go to.

I also had a horrible interviewing experience, a track placement based on where I lived and not on my life experiences, and I don't agree with the fact that the only scholarships this state school gives out is to OOS students.
Sorry to hear. You could petition for Chicago if you want to, OP. But that would require you submitting an appeal and taking a gamble after May 15th.

I only have exposure to the Peoria and Rockford campus, so I will only attest to those two track sites:
They have clinical exposure during the start of M2 and not M1, and if you're placed in Rockford or Peoria you won't be exposed to near the research opportunities that you would in Chicago. The Peoria campus is outdated, and the Rockford campus will soon be swarming with over a thousand new nursing students all using the exact same study space as med students (which, from what students say is already crowded without that addition).
I agree that these campuses need significant improvement. If I wasn't placed in the Chicago track, I probably would not attend U of I either. But, the Chicago campus is completely different, and has tons of clinical and research opportunities outright.

OP, go where you think you would be the most happy and successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.