VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else feel totally stumped about how to write their personal statement? It's such a broad, general topic that I have no idea how to begin.
I am struggling with how to open it... cliche hook? Lol. It's so hard to write about ourselves but I am trying to find one main topic for the essay - basically what experience or event was the driving force for me to apply and want to be a vet. You can talk about what you want to specialize in and why, etc. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I was a member of the pre-vet club from 2017-2020, vice-president of the club from 2018-2019 and then president of it from 2019-2020, would those all be listed as 3 separate experiences under the extracurricular category? The job description of vp and president were pretty similar so I am leaning towards combining them and explaining the dates for each in the box. Thoughts?

I am struggling with how to open it... cliche hook? Lol. It's so hard to write about ourselves but I am trying to find one main topic for the essay - basically what experience or event was the driving force for me to apply and want to be a vet. You can talk about what you want to specialize in and why, etc. Good luck!
Don't worry about style too much in your first draft, just get the ideas down and you can figure out how to present them later. Once you're well into the editing process you'll be so desperate to cut characters that I doubt you'll have room for a hook, anyway - a concise thesis statement is probably the best opening for all your personal statements.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was a member of the pre-vet club from 2017-2020, vice-president of the club from 2018-2019 and then president of it from 2019-2020, would those all be listed as 3 separate experiences under the extracurricular category? The job description of vp and president were pretty similar so I am leaning towards combining them and explaining the dates for each in the box. Thoughts?
I would combine them

I was also vp and pres of PVC. I listed them all under the same experience

Hi all,

So sorry if someone asked this and I missed it... so I was wondering how you guys write out your experiences. In the last two cycles, I was doing a narrative-style description when talking about my duties. But are you guys doing more of a list? I feel like the narrative doesn't let me be as thorough with all of my duties.

Hi all,

So sorry if someone asked this and I missed it... so I was wondering how you guys write out your experiences. In the last two cycles, I was doing a narrative-style description when talking about my duties. But are you guys doing more of a list? I feel like the narrative doesn't let me be as thorough with all of my duties.
You can do either as long as you are consistent

How long does it take to do the VMCAS application? I’m planning on applying this cycle 2021-2022. Any advice is appreciated!

I started it in April and didnt finish until mid August, but id start asap because the more time you have the better. Id start asking for LOR now and working on your vmcas essay so during summer you can focus on the supplemental applications

Reactions: 2 users
1 month for me to get all my stuff completed but ask LOR people AT LEAST 3 months ahead! I applied to 11 schools.

Reactions: 1 users
1 month for me to get all my stuff completed but ask LOR people AT LEAST 3 months ahead! I applied to 11 schools.
Thank you, do you mind explaining the essay part of the application? Do you write essays separately for each school, or does it all go through the vmcas application to all the schools? I plan applying to 6 or 7 schools.

Thank you, do you mind explaining the essay part of the application? Do you write essays separately for each school, or does it all go through the vmcas application to all the schools? I plan applying to 6 or 7 schools.
every school looks at the vmcas essay, but then in the supplemental application they usually have 3-5 mini essays that you need to write for each school you apply to

I started it in April and didnt finish until mid August, but id start asap because the more time you have the better. Id start asking for LOR now and working on your vmcas essay so during summer you can focus on the supplemental applications
Thank you, I am a little nervous mostly because I feel like I haven't got enough on my resume to get in especially due to the pandemic and I also had a brain injury during the summer 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
every school looks at the vmcas essay, but then in the supplemental application they usually have 3-5 mini essays that you need to write for each school you apply to
Great! thank you for telling me. I am a little behind on my information of the vmcas, so this helps me a lot.

Great! thank you for telling me. I am a little behind on my information of the vmcas, so this helps me a lot.
I also had people read over my essays at least 2x so that might be why it took me so long to complete it. But it was worth it I needed the extra help!

I also had people read over my essays at least 2x so that might be why it took me so long to complete it. But it was worth it I needed the extra help!
Do you think I have a chance this coming cycle? My family owns a cattle ranch and I have competed in rodeos and gymkhanas since I was kid so I have lots of animal experience horses, cows, dogs, cats, chickens, and pigs. I also have been working at a large/ small animal clinic for a year and did an internship there as well. I am in one club(1yr) and was in a sorority (2yr). My gpa does need some work. I have a 3.1 gpa, but I am also taking a few courses at a community college while at a university because of the pandemic.

Do you think I have a chance this coming cycle? My family owns a cattle ranch and I have competed in rodeos and gymkhanas since I was kid so I have lots of animal experience horses, cows, dogs, cats, chickens, and pigs. I also have been working at a large/ small animal clinic for a year and did an internship there as well. I am in one club(1yr) and was in a sorority (2yr). My gpa does need some work. I have a 3.1 gpa, but I am also taking a few courses at a community college while at a university because of the pandemic.
Maybe! i got into 1 with a 3.36 cumulative gpa

Maybe! i got into 1 with a 3.36 cumulative
If my gpa changes by the time I graduate (I'm a junior) do I send my new transcripts to the schools I applied to? Sorry, I know I am asking a lot of questions its been hard to get answers until now.

If my gpa changes by the time I graduate (I'm a junior) do I send my new transcripts to the schools I applied to? Sorry, I know I am asking a lot of questions its been hard to get answers until now.
you send all of your transcripts with your vmcas application so it should have your grades from up to this spring quarter/semester

You can get a more detailed analysis of your application if you start a thread in the "What Are My Chances" subforum!

Make sure you follow the formatting instructions here, since that will give us the info we need to make suggestions for you :)

Reactions: 3 users
I have a very complex employment history and am wondering how to best list my experiences.

I have been employed at the same clinic since 2016.
August 2016 - December 2018, I was a part-time vet assistant while in undergrad.
December 2018 - March 2020, I was a full-time vet assistant.
March 2020 - March 2021, I worked full-time, mainly as a receptionist (due to one of our receptionists leaving and reluctance to hire someone new during the COVID shut down), but filled in occasionally as an assistant.
Starting this month, I will be working full-time, but half as a receptionist and half as an assistant.

I am unsure how to list all my position changes or if it is even necessary to elaborate on the changes. I have had a couple people tell me to list receptionist and vet assistant as separate experiences, divide the hours, and notate that I was part-time until 2018. (If I list the experiences separately, should they both be part-time since they would be under 40 hours a week each or full-time because I am a full-time employee?) I have also had a few other people recommend that I keep it as one experience under the title vet assistant since that's what I was hired as and most of my hours were as a vet assistant, but explain that I also did receptionist duties.

Any advice?

Any advice?
You get so few characters to describe your position, I didn't waste any describing how hours worked or anything like that. They see your total hours and that's honestly what matters, not that you worked 20 one week and then 40 a year later.

I also was swapped between reception and assistant several times as needed. I combined those hours in one experience under veterinary experience. Communicating with clients and being able to navigate that side of vet med is just as important as what goes on in the treatment room.

You get so few characters to describe your position, I didn't waste any describing how hours worked or anything like that. They see your total hours and that's honestly what matters, not that you worked 20 one week and then 40 a year later.

I also was swapped between reception and assistant several times as needed. I combined those hours in one experience under veterinary experience. Communicating with clients and being able to navigate that side of vet med is just as important as what goes on in the treatment room.
Thank you for the advice! Did you list your title as veterinary assistant/receptionist then? Or just vet assistant?

Thank you for the advice! Did you list your title as veterinary assistant/receptionist then? Or just vet assistant?
I listed it as vet assistant I believe.

Hey guys! I'm doing a quick plug here for Galin Education and their Vet School Admissions Consulting Team.
I was a non-traditional student when I applied to vet school, and I felt super lost about the whole application process. I constantly searched for some sort of vet school advising company, but never found one. That's what Galin is trying to do. Feel free to reach out to us for help on polishing your application, cranking out essays, transcript evaluations, and personalized target school lists.
This process is so daunting, and we want to help make it less so. You got this, good luck!

Does anybody know which way we are supposed to list the species that we worked with on VMCAS? For example, if I assisted with ultrasounds on a horse, should I say equine ultrasound, horse ultrasound, etc? Or would I say 'assisted with cow pregnancy detection' or 'assisted with bovine pregnancy detection?'
Is there a correct way?
Thanks in advance!!
I would use equine and bovine in those examples. I feel like either way won't make a huge different but it just sounds slightly more formal.

Hey everyone,

so I’m preparing to apply this cycle of admissions and I’m having an issue with one of my top hour experiences.
I volunteered at a local animal rescue for 4 years, however the owner has disappeared and I have no contact information for him. Can this still be entered with no reference?

Hey everyone,

so I’m preparing to apply this cycle of admissions and I’m having an issue with one of my top hour experiences.
I volunteered at a local animal rescue for 4 years, however the owner has disappeared and I have no contact information for him. Can this still be entered with no reference?
Is there another supervisor who you can contact to be a reference? I don't think you can do it without a reference but I could be wrong

Hey everyone,

I put down quite a few things without listing a reference (ex. clubs that had closed, online education, volunteering at places forever ago that had changed staff, shadowing a vet for a single day like 8 years ago) and didn’t have a problem :)

I put down quite a few things without listing a reference (ex. clubs that had closed, online education, volunteering at places forever ago that had changed staff, shadowing a vet for a single day like 8 years ago) and didn’t have a problem :)
Same^. I put down all the information I had. Sometimes just my supervisor’s name, sometimes all contact info. It wasn’t a problem for me either.

Hi!! I’m currently in top 5% of the VMCVM OOS waitlist, so hoping this post may end up being unnecessary.... but! Just in case.

I applied for the first time last cycle, only applied to VMCVM. I have >15,000 veterinary experience hours in bovine/small ruminant/camelid, lab animal, companion animal, poultry, and specialty (derm, rehab, and pathology). I don’t have any wildlife or equine experience, and a low amount of companion exotics experience (although tons of experience with mice, rats, NHPs, and guinea pigs due to lab animal work).

I adopted my leopard gecko when I was in middle school (he was my class pet), and have owned him for close to 15 years at this point. I’ve learned a LOT about appropriate husbandry and nutrition for leos, and have invested a good chunk of time into being the best gecko mom possible!

I did not include my ownership of him in my experience hours this past cycle. I have other pets, but didn’t include them in my animal experience hours because I felt like my other animal experiences stood on their own. But I’m wondering, since I don’t have a lot of companion exotics veterinary experience- should I include my gecko ownership as an animal experience? I don’t think I’m a wiz with companion exotics by any stretch, but I have learned some unique husbandry needs/restraint techniques/supportive care techniques over the years with my dude!

Hi!! I’m currently in top 5% of the VMCVM OOS waitlist, so hoping this post may end up being unnecessary.... but! Just in case.

I applied for the first time last cycle, only applied to VMCVM. I have >15,000 veterinary experience hours in bovine/small ruminant/camelid, lab animal, companion animal, poultry, and specialty (derm, rehab, and pathology). I don’t have any wildlife or equine experience, and a low amount of companion exotics experience (although tons of experience with mice, rats, NHPs, and guinea pigs due to lab animal work).

I adopted my leopard gecko when I was in middle school (he was my class pet), and have owned him for close to 15 years at this point. I’ve learned a LOT about appropriate husbandry and nutrition for leos, and have invested a good chunk of time into being the best gecko mom possible!

I did not include my ownership of him in my experience hours this past cycle. I have other pets, but didn’t include them in my animal experience hours because I felt like my other animal experiences stood on their own. But I’m wondering, since I don’t have a lot of companion exotics veterinary experience- should I include my gecko ownership as an animal experience? I don’t think I’m a wiz with companion exotics by any stretch, but I have learned some unique husbandry needs/restraint techniques/supportive care techniques over the years with my dude!
thoughts are generally you can add it and schools will ignore it if they don't consider ownership hours. :)

How do vet schools feel on bio research hours? I have little vet hours (500-700 ish) because I’d spend half the time doing research and half volunteer. I feel at a disadvantage because of this

How do vet schools feel on bio research hours? I have little vet hours (500-700 ish) because I’d spend half the time doing research and half volunteer. I feel at a disadvantage because of this
Research is always a plus. But vet hours are important as well, making sure that quality over quantity can help with low hours. Especially when they are diverse and show you can understand the profession.

I downloaded the excel sheet that VMCAS has to calculate your GPA, and it gave me a higher GPA than I thought I had? I'm not sure how that's possible since most people say their VMCAS GPA is lower...as far as I can see I've entered everything correctly. Does VMCAS calculate GPA different from how universities do?

I downloaded the excel sheet that VMCAS has to calculate your GPA, and it gave me a higher GPA than I thought I had? I'm not sure how that's possible since most people say their VMCAS GPA is lower...as far as I can see I've entered everything correctly. Does VMCAS calculate GPA different from how universities do?
I’m thoroughly convinced that the entire spreadsheet is wonky 🤣 I just calculated my GPA last night, it was .1 points lower than what VMCAS calculated on my application! I triple checked to make sure my entries matched up.

anyone else on the struggle bus trying to figure out how to word your personal statement in a sophisticated manner? :rofl:

Hi, friends! So I've searched and searched and can't really find the answers to my two questions anywhere. So here goes: 1) where in the heck is the self-reported GPA section?!? I saw someone replied to that same question asked earlier in the thread that it is usually in the academic information section but... it's not. I do not have a GPA report section ANYWHERE in my application. Am I missing it? Is this app cycle different that previous cycles in that there is no GPA entry section? And 2) I also do not have a supplemental essay section. I have the section for my personal statement, but I do not have any other areas requiring any other writing. Is it that this app cycle has been changed from previous cycles??

Sorry for being so long winded but ya girl is STRESSED about this 😂 thank you all so much for being here and being such a good resource for those of us who have no idea what they're doing lol

Hi, friends! So I've searched and searched and can't really find the answers to my two questions anywhere. So here goes: 1) where in the heck is the self-reported GPA section?!? I saw someone replied to that same question asked earlier in the thread that it is usually in the academic information section but... it's not. I do not have a GPA report section ANYWHERE in my application. Am I missing it? Is this app cycle different that previous cycles in that there is no GPA entry section? And 2) I also do not have a supplemental essay section. I have the section for my personal statement, but I do not have any other areas requiring any other writing. Is it that this app cycle has been changed from previous cycles??

Sorry for being so long winded but ya girl is STRESSED about this 😂 thank you all so much for being here and being such a good resource for those of us who have no idea what they're doing lol
I’m pretty sure last year my self-report GPA was tucked into the personal info section, but it could’ve changed. Yes, you should only have a personal statement right now. They switched from the three essays back to one big essay. Your supplemental essays (for each school) won’t show up until you select schools to apply to, but you can’t do that until May. Those essays will be under program materials and will vary by school.

I’m pretty sure last year my self-report GPA was tucked into the personal info section, but it could’ve changed. Yes, you should only have a personal statement right now. They switched from the three essays back to one big essay. Your supplemental essays (for each school) won’t show up until you select schools to apply to, but you can’t do that until May. Those essays will be under program materials and will vary by school.
So, I actually got into contact with someone from the VMCAS Help Center and she said that they did remove the GPA calculations for this application cycle! And woohoo! I'm glad I do not have to do a gazillion essays on top of what I have to do for individual schools. Thank you so much for your help :)

The other thing with supplementals that you have to be super careful about (unless this has changed, it's been a few years) is that schools might have supplemental applications that you have to actually go through their website to get to rather than being on VMCAS. This might not be the case anymore, but VMCVM used to be on their website (it was on VMCAS my last cycle) and LMU had one that was only through their website. I cannot stress enough how important it is to double check on this, even email admissions if you can't find a solid answer - one of my friends/coworkers completely missed that LMU had a supplemental on their website separate from VMCAS and she was immediately declined.

anyone else on the struggle bus trying to figure out how to word your personal statement in a sophisticated manner? :rofl:
I really don't think it's about sophistication, and you don't have to write up a life story not yours. Try to treat it as an opportunity to explore yourself, why you want to do this, what makes you a good candidate, etc. I absolutely hated the essays (and I applied to way too many schools - way too many essays), but I think I learnt a lot about my passion and strength through the writing and rewriting of them.

I literally compared myself to a platypus in one supplemental essay and most of my application was quite light-hearted. Sophistication is potentially overrated. :p

Reactions: 3 users
I literally compared myself to a platypus in one supplemental essay and most of my application was quite light-hearted. Sophistication is potentially overrated. :p
I love this!! I will add that in my first couple application cycles I spent so much time editing and rewriting essays to sound "professional" and to be what I thought schools would want to see. My last application cycle I spent time editing them to be more relaxed and sound like me rather than trying to change to fit a mold (that doesn't even really exist)

Does anyone know why on the program selection page, most of the programs are listed as being DVM level, but there's a few that don't, like LIU and U of A? Aren't all of the US schools DVM programs? Or is this just because those schools don't have full accreditation?

I love this!! I will add that in my first couple application cycles I spent so much time editing and rewriting essays to sound "professional" and to be what I thought schools would want to see. My last application cycle I spent time editing them to be more relaxed and sound like me rather than trying to change to fit a mold (that doesn't even really exist)
I tried to have fun with my essays as well! I started one essay with "my dad likes to say that I was a 'but why' child..." and compared myself to a mosquito in another essay :lol:

• Haha
I tried to have fun with my essays as well! I started one essay with "my dad likes to say that I was a 'but why' child..." and compared myself to a mosquito in another essay :lol:
hahaha this is great I love it 😆 definitely would catch my eye if I evaluated essays

I wrote and got in on essay about how I wanted to be indiana jones growing up lol i love the essay, just quietly hoping I didn't set myself up for summer research projects better tackled by Harrison Ford. 😅 I'd like to have those skills. don't have'm yet.

But def agree about essays making you stand out!! Don't be afraid to get creative

In aother I described how, as a kid, my career aspirations were to "keep animals in cages" (aka zookeeper), haha.

• Haha