VMCVM - Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm kind of jealous that you guys get to choose your interview date. We were given a 'take it or leave it' time slot....except for someone that needed surgery during the time frame, she was offered a Skype interview ;)

If you're wait listed, don't be disheartened. There is a good amount of movement in vmcvm's waitlists. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on previous year threads I think the waitlist is quite long - basically everybody who met the minimum requirements but didn't receive an interview invite, maybe? (eg didn't get automatically bounced for not completing a pre-req or something).

Tough to say how likely you are to get an interview... I'd bet quite a few people near the top of the OOS waitlist will eventually get interview.

The email instructions from the school say we have until next Monday to select an interview time. Maybe they'll send out interview waitlist invites shortly after that since theoretically they will know how many people declined?

Some of the current students hanging around the forum probably have a better idea... Paging @PreVetMed @love2hunt

They sent out rejections last year even if you did meet criteria. They were sent out on December 8, 2016. I think they are only doing possible interviews and interviews at this time, but I don't recall last year hearing this many people got on the interview waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on previous year threads I think the waitlist is quite long - basically everybody who met the minimum requirements but didn't receive an interview invite, maybe? (eg didn't get automatically bounced for not completing a pre-req or something).

Tough to say how likely you are to get an interview... I'd bet quite a few people near the top of the OOS waitlist will eventually get interview.

The email instructions from the school say we have until next Monday to select an interview time. Maybe they'll send out interview waitlist invites shortly after that since theoretically they will know how many people declined?

Some of the current students hanging around the forum probably have a better idea... Paging @PreVetMed @love2hunt

Some people do get declined an interview, I think one poster on here did in fact. The interview waitlist is quite long, however.

Not sure when they start going down the interview waitlist, but I know they will pull people off the waitlist up until the weekend of interviews, so until that point in time there is still hope!

Congrats to all of you who got interviews! Best piece of advice I would give is to practice MMI format (google it if unfamiliar) and start getting used to the timing allowed. 6 minutes seems like forever until you’re trying to answer a difficult question... VA-MD will tell you not to practice but I disagree. You won’t be able to practice the questions, but you can practice being concise and straightforward with your answers to practice questions.

I'm kind of jealous that you guys get to choose your interview date. We were given a 'take it or leave it' time slot....except for someone that needed surgery during the time frame, she was offered a Skype interview ;)

If you're wait listed, don't be disheartened. There is a good amount of movement in vmcvm's waitlists. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Do you mean that there is a good amount of movement in the waitlist for a seat, or that the interview waitlist has some movement?

I am not trying to get my hopes up too high ;) i'm not sure if anyone would really deny an interview, my friend did to mich. state last year but it was later (i think in feb) and he had already been accepted to his top choice, but other than that I haven't heard of anyone denying a shot at an interview. Still an interview waitlist is better than an outright reject so i'm happy with it.

Hi I was wondering if you know if they will tell us our ranking on the waitlist?

Hi I was wondering if you know if they will tell us our ranking on the waitlist?

I don’t think they tell you your rank on the interview waitlist unfortunately, just the admissions decisions

I see that there was a question about rejections/interviews and such up above, so I just wanted to pop in and mention that I was outright rejected as an OOS student for VMCVM. That being said, if any of you are, don't fret, because I ended up getting accepted to four schools by the end of the cycle. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I see that there was a question about rejections/interviews and such up above, so I just wanted to pop in and mention that I was outright rejected as an OOS student for VMCVM. That being said, if any of you are, don't fret, because I ended up getting accepted to four schools by the end of the cycle. :)
So happy for you! That gives me hope! What schools did you get accepted to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any more information about being waitlisted as an in-state applicant? Like how many people are waitlisted or how likely it is people will be bumped off?

Has everyone that got an interview gotten the link to create a guest account to schedule their interview time? I still haven't received one and contacted Shelby the other day, who said it could take a few hours and to contact her again. With the holiday, I still haven't heard a reply and am just worried, especially if I have less of a choice of interview times now if everyone else was able to sign up.

And for those waitlisted, don't give up! I was waitlisted last year for an interview and was very upset, but got one this year.

It looks like most people got it based on the fact that most people have signed up for a slot already. There are 40-50 slots still open, but they are all for either the first or last available times on Sunday (8 am or 3:30 pm). :shrug:

Hope you are either a morning person or don't have an early flight!

Okay, so I need someone to give me some hope. I went to the interview last year and obviously got rejected. I’m so depressed because my view is “if I didn’t do well enough the first year why would I the second?”

Plus I compare myself to people who I went to Virginia’s Tech undergrad with who interviewed two years/three years in a row and still didn’t get in.

Okay, so I need someone to give me some hope. I went to the interview last year and obviously got rejected. I’m so depressed because my view is “if I didn’t do well enough the first year why would I the second?”

Plus I compare myself to people who I went to Virginia’s Tech undergrad with who interviewed two years/three years in a row and still didn’t get in.

Did you do a file review / post interview review with the admissions department last year? If not, you definitely should. I doubt they would do one now for last year, but it doesn't hurt to ask - the worst they'll tell you is that you'll have to wait until the spring.

I went to the open house last year one of the take-aways from the admissions talk was that everyone who was rejected following an interview gained acceptance the following year if they contacted the admissions office and got feedback about how to improve their interview.

It might have been hyperbolic (ie maybe it wasn't really 100%), but she seemed pretty confident that if you didn't do well in an interview one year and you took constructive criticism to heart that you'd probably be successful in an interview the next time.

Okay, so I need someone to give me some hope. I went to the interview last year and obviously got rejected. I’m so depressed because my view is “if I didn’t do well enough the first year why would I the second?

You actually have a leg up on the process compared to everybody else! You know the format, the layout, the type of questions asked, the pacing of the interview,etc. If anything, you are more well-prepared than most other candidates!

Did you do a file review / post interview review with the admissions department last year? If not, you definitely should. I doubt they would do one now for last year, but it doesn't hurt to ask - the worst they'll tell you is that you'll have to wait until the spring.

I went to the open house last year one of the take-aways from the admissions talk was that everyone who was rejected following an interview gained acceptance the following year if they contacted the admissions office and got feedback about how to improve their interview.

It might have been hyperbolic (ie maybe it wasn't really 100%), but she seemed pretty confident that if you didn't do well in an interview one year and you took constructive criticism to heart that you'd probably be successful in an interview the next time.
I did go to the interview feedback! My confidence was fine, it was my answers that were "meh." She said I needed to approach the questions differently. You made my morning by the way, thank you so much. I needed to hear that!

That's not the way too think! Instead you need to remember that you've done this before, you learned from the experience, and your going to be prepared to kick some interview butt!

I know it's hard, but the biggest mistake you can make in the whole process is to compare yourself to others. It's not healthy and everyone is so different and unique that it's like comparing apples to oranges.

My hint: I treated the MMI like a game and had fun with it. It doesn't have to be crazy stressful!

OOS Interview waitlist! (NY)

There are so many of us.....best of luck to everyone.

If you didn't get an interview or were waitlisted, don't give up! It can take a few tries to even get an interview and they definitely like to see repeat applicants to show dedication.

To those who were given an interview and read this: I have a desperate plea for help. I was invited to a conference in San Diego to present my undergrad research, and of course the week that takes place conflicts with interview dates. I've been trying to work things out, and if I had an interview on either 1/13 or early 1/14 I should still be able to catch a flight to attend the conference. Except I got the email to sign up for interview on Monday 11/27 only after contacting Shelby because it didn't send the first time. And the only time still available was Jan 14th at 3:30. If anyone would be willing to help me out and switch interview times, I would REALLY appreciate it. Any other time would work for me to catch my flight to San Diego.

does this school prefer instate?
From their website:
120 Students Accepted
  • 50 Virginia Residents
  • 30 Maryland Residents
  • 40 At-large/Out-of-State
    • Up to 6 of the 40 positions will be reserved for West Virginia residents.
So they definitely prioritize IS.

Can you see how many spots are left for interviews? Give some hope to people on the waitlist :)

Can you see how many spots are left for interviews? Give some hope to people on the waitlist :)
They all say filled, but someone could cancel theirs and it would open back up!

Decided to log back on after a few years! Who all is interviewing on the 13th? This was my second time applying In-state, I can't wait to meet everyone in January!

Decided to log back on after a few years! Who all is interviewing on the 13th? This was my second time applying In-state, I can't wait to meet everyone in January!
I will be there!!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

I expressed interest in the DVM/PhD program at VMCVM. Does anyone know if getting on an interview waitlist or an interview you are being interviewed for both? Has anyone been through this process?

Same here was waitlisted for the dual degree DVM/PhD program. Good luck this cycle! I am sure we WILL all get an interview this cycle again!
Were you waitlisted for an interview for the DVM/PhD program?

Does anyone know if tours are offered after interviews?

Does anyone know if tours are offered after interviews?

As a student ambassador who helps lead said tours, I can tell you that yes they will be. There will also be a student panel the night before your interviews where you can ask current vet students questions about the school, daily life, etc. They do a good job here of trying to give you as informative a look at VMCVM as possible.

Just wanted to check in and kind of bring this question to the forefront again. Has anyone on the waitlist heard back?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Just wanted to check in and kind of bring this question to the forefront again. Has anyone on the waitlist heard back
I’m sure next Friday, when CSU sends the invite-to-interview decisions, a few interviews spots will become available.

If anyone has questions about the area, professional organizations, or being a Hokie, I have lived in Blacksburg for several years and would be happy to answer any questions. Many of my friends have graduated from VMCVM or are currently in vet school, the BMVS program, or the MPH program! Also, I graduate with my MPH through the vet school in May, so if you have questions about that program, you can post here or PM me!

OOS CA, remember that grades do not determine who you are.
Undergraduate (graduating in 3 years instead of 4)
Cumulative GPA: 3.35
Science: 3.1
Vet experience: 700 SA
700 LA
Research: LOTS! Two published papers and research at CalTech.
Vet assistant at LA/Equine Hospital
Animal Hours: Too many to quantify
Did not take the GRE!

Saf, you are giving me a whole lotta hope for when I apply this summer - my app looks similar to yours, minus the research experience. Glad to know it's all not lost! Rooting for you!

Saf, you are giving me a whole lotta hope for when I apply this summer - my app looks similar to yours, minus the research experience. Glad to know it's all not lost! Rooting for you!

Get research experience!! It will only help you for applying to schools.

What's the likelihood they will continue inviting people from the interview waitlist close to actual interview dates? I'm assuming people can cancel at the last minute?

What's the likelihood they will continue inviting people from the interview waitlist close to actual interview dates? I'm assuming people can cancel at the last minute?

I believe they call people off the waitlist up until the Friday of interview weekend.

Get research experience!! It will only help you for applying to schools.

Sadly given my class schedule and paid work schedule, research experience isn't going to happen for me before applying, but that'll be on my list of things to add for the next round if I don't get into a program this round. Thank you! Best of luck!

I expressed interest in the DVM/PhD program at VMCVM. Does anyone know if getting on an interview waitlist or an interview you are being interviewed for both? Has anyone been through this process?
Hey krs724, to answer your question, the DVM/PhD interview is on the 13th and is separate from the DVM interview (I signed up for a time slot on the 14th as a result). I heard back about the dual degree a few days after the DVM invite. I'm IS so I am sure that helped a ton in securing a spot. Also, NCstate's OOS welcome weekend is that weekend, so I think there will also be openings once those decisions come out.

I’m sure next Friday, when CSU sends the invite-to-interview decisions, a few interviews spots will become available.
How many people do you think are going to try to make both??!! :nailbiting:

How many people do you think are going to try to make both??!! :nailbiting:
I don't think many people will. Most people who chose CSU as their first choice will probably cancel their VMCVM interview if they get both interview invites... That's my guess, but I may be totally wrong.

I don't think many people will. Most people who chose CSU as their first choice will probably cancel their VMCVM interview if they get both interview invites... That's my guess, but I may be totally wrong.
Risky.... Interviews mean 1 out 2 or 3 actually selected. Just checked flights -- it would be possible to do one on Sat and the other on Sun but tight!