VMCVM - Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to throw this in here - I was interview waitlisted for VMCVM, but I have an interview with Upenn on January 19th - if I'm accepted I will remove myself from the waitlist. There is hope, stay positive!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to check in and kind of bring this question to the forefront again. Has anyone on the waitlist heard back?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile
Someone online just posted that they were given an OOS interview at VAMD after being on the interview waitlist. I'm assuming they are starting to make their way down the list.

Reactions: 4 users
I was originally waitlisted OOS, and I received an invite yesterday for an interview on January, 13. I accepted!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just called admissions and spoke to Shelby. She said that everyone has accepted their interview requests so far and that no one has really been taken off of the waitlist (she said that people who were initially put on the waitlist and have been "taken off" was an initial error or something like that, she didn't talk about it much). Also, she said there is no official ranking yet of the waitlisted people. Sorry if this seems confusing, it's just what I talked to her about :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I just called admissions and spoke to Shelby. She said that everyone has accepted their interview requests so far and that no one has really been taken off of the waitlist (she said that people who were initially put on the waitlist and have been "taken off" was an initial error or something like that, she didn't talk about it much). Also, she said there is no official ranking yet of the waitlisted people. Sorry if this seems confusing, it's just what I talked to her about :)

This is confusing to me, because I got an email asking to be accept an interview invite when originally on the waitlist and then talked to her today too to followup. I just now saw what you posted, but am I about to get a second rejection saying that it was a mistake that I was taken off, or was it a mistake that I got waitlisted to begin with?

This is confusing to me, because I got an email asking to be accept an interview invite when originally on the waitlist and then talked to her today too to followup. I just now saw what you posted, but am I about to get a second rejection saying that it was a mistake that I was taken off, or was it a mistake that I got waitlisted to begin with?

Hey, no I don't think they're going to tell you it was a mistake!!! I just kind of interpreted what she said which seemed like some invitations weren't sent out when they should've been. I may have misinterpreted this but there is absolutely NO WAY a school would rescind an interview offer because "it was a mistake", they wouldn't do that to a student. Congratulations!!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, no I don't think they're going to tell you it was a mistake!!! I just kind of interpreted what she said which seemed like some invitations weren't sent out when they should've been. I may have misinterpreted this but there is absolutely NO WAY a school would rescind an interview offer because "it was a mistake", they wouldn't do that to a student. Congratulations!!! :D

Thanks! And sorry for giving everybody else false hope, but trust me, hang in there!

Interview off the IS waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
I am interviewing early on Saturday and will be attending the student panel the night before-- any other recommendations for things to do while I am on campus? i'm excited to meet everyone!

I'll also be at the student function on Friday night, but my interview isn't until Saturday at 5pm. So if anybody has suggestions on what to do to kill time, or want to hang out together, let me know!

Hi everyone! I am a bit confused on the mocktail and mingle times. I have received two different snapshots of an invitation, and one says it is from 5-7pm and the other says 6-8pm on the night before the interviews. Which is it??

Hi everyone! I am a bit confused on the mocktail and mingle times. I have received two different snapshots of an invitation, and one says it is from 5-7pm and the other says 6-8pm on the night before the interviews. Which is it??
I also noticed this when I completed the survey... the beginning of the rsvp says one location and time and at the end it says something completely different. I am assuming these end details are from last year, especially since Shelby Jenkins also sent a flyer for the event indicating the same details as the beginning of the survey, with a start time of 5pm. I am sure we will get confirmation emails and more details the week prior, after the survey closes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing early on Saturday and will be attending the student panel the night before-- any other recommendations for things to do while I am on campus? i'm excited to meet everyone!
I'll also be at the student function on Friday night, but my interview isn't until Saturday at 5pm. So if anybody has suggestions on what to do to kill time, or want to hang out together, let me know!
I’m not much help since I have only been to Blacksburg once before, but there was a small downtown area you could check out, and it seems like there are some museums and a garden on campus (Sights to see | Visit Virginia Tech | Virginia Tech). I’ll be in my dual degree interview most of Saturday, going to the reception that night, and my MMIs are on Sunday so I am not sure how much time I will have to explore before making the 4.5 hour drive home. Hoping for no snow! :cold:

Hey guys! I’m a 1st year and I’ll be at interview weekend! I wish you all the best of luck on your interviews. If you would like something to do before your mocktail/interviews, I would suggest going downtown to walk around and eat some food! It is a cute area with lots of places to eat.

Reactions: 2 users
I also noticed this when I completed the survey... the beginning of the rsvp says one location and time and at the end it says something completely different. I am assuming these end details are from last year, especially since Shelby Jenkins also sent a flyer for the event indicating the same details as the beginning of the survey, with a start time of 5pm. I am sure we will get confirmation emails and more details the week prior, after the survey closes!
I saw the same thing! But I think that there is also a dinner after the mocktails that goes from I think 6-8 . . . that might also be contributing to some of the confusion.

is anyone else interviewing on the 14th?

I am. 9:30 I think. Worried about the MMI's....
Dont be! I was told by several friends they arent that bad! Just remember if you do "bad "on one mini interview you have 6 more to start over :)

Hi all! I've removed myself from the interview waitlist, I hope this helps someone! I was accepted to Cornell's veterinary medicine program, and have an interview with UPenn next Friday. Good luck to everyone and stay positive!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Is the night before (the mocktail hour) mandatory? Or can interviewees just go to the interview? Asking for a friend. Thanks!

Is the night before (the mocktail hour) mandatory? Or can interviewees just go to the interview? Asking for a friend. Thanks!
Not mandatory. I asked and the mocktail hour/people you meet there do not have bearing on your admissions decision.

Hi all! I've removed myself from the interview waitlist, I hope this helps someone! I was accepted to Cornell's veterinary medicine program, and have an interview with UPenn next Friday. Good luck to everyone and stay positive!!!
That's amazing! congratulations!!

Has anyone else received the confirmation for mocktails? And does anyone know anything about the DVM Candidate Pre-Interview dinner?

Nevermind.They just said that the Mocktails was the only pre-interview event.

Does anyone know what the Dual DVM/PhD interviews are like at VMCVM?

Any one know if there are tours or other programs available this weekend?

Any one know if there are tours or other programs available this weekend?

There will be tours offered after your interview is over, and you're welcome to bring loved ones who may be joining you on the tour with you! As for programs, the only thing the school offers outside of the interview itself is the mocktail the night before, in which you can ask questions to a panel of current students, meet some of the administration, and get to mingle with other interviewees and current students after the student panel is over. I know one of my classmates is planning to have a legitimate dinner at PK's each night after the mocktail with interviewees and current students, so if you can't make the mocktail itself or are hungry but still have questions, you should go!

If you have some free time, you should definitely check out the town while the weather's temporarily warmed up. It's a small town, but it's got a decent amount of things to do, including good food, a weekly Farmers Market, beautiful hiking trails, and entertainment. If nothing else, drive around the Virginia Tech campus. There's an 18th century plantation, a 19th century cabin, a garden + koi pond, the duck pond, Lane Stadium, and the drill field. The vet school is on the edge of campus, but right near the koi pond and garden which is great when you need a walking break. Honestly, if you need any ideas for stuff to do and can make the mocktail or have time to kill after interviews, ask a current student! We'll be practically everywhere this weekend helping with interview stuff.

Good luck everyone!!

There will be tours offered after your interview is over, and you're welcome to bring loved ones who may be joining you on the tour with you! As for programs, the only thing the school offers outside of the interview itself is the mocktail the night before, in which you can ask questions to a panel of current students, meet some of the administration, and get to mingle with other interviewees and current students after the student panel is over. I know one of my classmates is planning to have a legitimate dinner at PK's each night after the mocktail with interviewees and current students, so if you can't make the mocktail itself or are hungry but still have questions, you should go!

If you have some free time, you should definitely check out the town while the weather's temporarily warmed up. It's a small town, but it's got a decent amount of things to do, including good food, a weekly Farmers Market, beautiful hiking trails, and entertainment. If nothing else, drive around the Virginia Tech campus. There's an 18th century plantation, a 19th century cabin, a garden + koi pond, the duck pond, Lane Stadium, and the drill field. The vet school is on the edge of campus, but right near the koi pond and garden which is great when you need a walking break. Honestly, if you need any ideas for stuff to do and can make the mocktail or have time to kill after interviews, ask a current student! We'll be practically everywhere this weekend helping with interview stuff.

Good luck everyone!!
Thank you so much! I'm really excited to loom around and meet everyone tonight!

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I don't have mine until Sunday so make sure everybody who has their interviews tomorrow tells us how it goes. (No specific information needed) just your opinion on how it went. I wish you all the best of luck.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I don't have mine until Sunday so make sure everybody who has their interviews tomorrow tells us how it goes. (No specific information needed) just your opinion on how it went. I wish you all the best of luck.

Be careful about asking for information on the MMI. You’ll have to sign an honor waiver before entering the sessions.

Be careful about asking for information on the MMI. You’ll have to sign an honor waiver before entering the sessions.
Thats why I said "no specific information needed" I already knew that. Thank you though.

Hey if there are any vet students/admissions people from yesterday/today on here, just wanted to say thank you!! I really enjoyed getting to meet people at the mocktail hour and I thought everything was run super smoothly. good luck those of you going tomorrow!! you'll do great.

Long time lurker, first time poster here! Wanted to start off by saying it was so wonderful to meet everyone at interviews this weekend!! I had a really great experience overall. Anyone else feeling a little unsure about the interview though?? There were definitely a couple of prompts that caught me off guard. Do any of you guys know if scoring is corrected for nerves in your first scenario? I'm sure my first prompt was one that I could have done really well on if it was anything but my first. I literally shook in that first room but after that I gained confidence and definitely got the hang of it!

Long time lurker, first time poster here! Wanted to start off by saying it was so wonderful to meet everyone at interviews this weekend!! I had a really great experience overall. Anyone else feeling a little unsure about the interview though?? There were definitely a couple of prompts that caught me off guard. Do any of you guys know if scoring is corrected for nerves in your first scenario? I'm sure my first prompt was one that I could have done really well on if it was anything but my first. I literally shook in that first room but after that I gained confidence and definitely got the hang of it!

I felt very unsure about my interview last year as well. Very common! There were also prompts that caught everyone off guard then, too, which is probably exactly what they want so they can see how you handle getting rattled.

They do a lot of correcting your raw scores. Search for last year’s VMCVM thread and there is a good explanation on there of what and how they correct. I don’t know if nerves are corrected for, but I can promise you that most everyone else was nervous as well, so don’t let that worry you.

I felt good overall about my interview, nervous for first room, but much better as it went along. I now keep second guessing everything, whether or not I hit what they were looking for. It's mind boggling at this point. This is going to be a very long month of waiting.. haha.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I felt good overall about my interview, nervous for first room, but much better as it went along. I now keep second guessing everything, whether or not I hit what they were looking for. It's mind boggling at this point. This is going to be a very long month of waiting.. haha.
I most definitely agree !!! I felt good about my first room, but there were other ones that i'm not so sure about. It's just hopes at this point.

I feel like I did horrible. I can’t stop thinking about it, lol.

I feel like I did horrible. I can’t stop thinking about it, lol.
Lol same, I thought I felt good about it and now I'm over analyzing everything and not so sure. Driving myself crazy for the next few weeks!

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Did the timeline on the website always say "Late February early March?" I could have sworn they mentioned second week of Feb before

Did the timeline on the website always say "Late February early March?" I could have sworn they mentioned second week of Feb before

There's some variability each year. I think 202 got it around Valentine's Day and 2021 got their notifications earlier

last year I got my notification Feb 9th FWIW

Ugh I can't stop thinking about it either. It is so nerve wracking having to wait. I have faith that we all did better than we think though.

Ugh I can't stop thinking about it either. It is so nerve wracking having to wait. I have faith that we all did better than we think though.

I'm sure you all did. You always remember the things you were unsure about (or think you didn't do well on) more clearly than the things you knew and felt confident about.

That's why many of us vets are secretly convinced that half the questions on NAVLE were strange curveballs about pigs and birds ;)

Tomorrow is February 1st......we could have news in 9-15 days :)

Reactions: 4 users