VMCVM c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still haven't heard anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview waitlisted. Kinda bummed.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview waitlisted. Kinda bummed.
I'm grateful to still be in the running but also went from really happy to bummed really quickly

Reactions: 1 users
I'm grateful to still be in the running but also went from really happy to bummed really quickly

Yeah I've been eager all day and I read the email from the notification and immediately saw "we know this might be disappointing" and my heart dropped. Tech has been my dream school since I was a freshman in high school, but they might be a bit hesitant about me because I've rejected them twice before (I know they probably don't even consider that but who knows). I'm just telling myself just wait and see where else I get interviews/rejected and what not. Definitely been heavily considering a year off of school and this is almost a sign for me to take one. Sorry, that was long :p

OOS waitlisted as well. How long is this wait list ??!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS Waitlisted as well, this waitlist must be really long

Third time applicant, first time interview invite. Don’t give up hope y’all.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So someone said 24hrs and someone said today. Which is right?! I have nothing in spam...

Yeah I've been eager all day and I read the email from the notification and immediately saw "we know this might be disappointing" and my heart dropped. Tech has been my dream school since I was a freshman in high school, but they might be a bit hesitant about me because I've rejected them twice before (I know they probably don't even consider that but who knows). I'm just telling myself just wait and see where else I get interviews/rejected and what not. Definitely been heavily considering a year off of school and this is almost a sign for me to take one. Sorry, that was long :p

Do you mean that you’ve rejected them for vet school twice before?? Sorry for the interview waitlist :(

Do you mean that you’ve rejected them for vet school twice before?? Sorry for the interview waitlist :(

No, I was accepted to Tech out of high school and I rejected them (for a boy but that's a messy story and imo, not worth it if anyone is thinking of doing that :p). I went to a community college and was accepted to transfer to Tech and I rejected them. I know they are kind of separate schools, kind not, but I've just got this idea in my head that they don't want me because I've made it seem like I don't want them in the past, not just once, but twice.

Not that I have any inside info, but I doubt/hope that under grad attendance decisions would have zero bearing on vet school admissions. Best of luck to you for the rest of the admissions cycle!

Not that I have any inside info, but I doubt/hope that under grad attendance decisions would have zero bearing on vet school admissions. Best of luck to you for the rest of the admissions cycle!

Oh yeah, I don't think they do but that's just what my brain wants me to believe. Good luck to you as well.

OOS waitlisted for interview. I was initially kind of okay with that (better than rejection) until I logged onto the forum....seems me and 5 million other people are also on the waitlist... Does that mean we shouldn't be getting our hopes up then?

Reactions: 3 users
OOS interview waitlist.

Does anyone know if they do file reviews?

OOS interview waitlist.

Does anyone know if they do file reviews?

They do, although I don't believe they will do so until after final admissions decisions have been made.

Congrats to everyone who got invites! I'll see you guys in January when you come visit the school for interviews. And to everyone else: good luck!! I know it seems disheartening, but you're all hard workers and this was a really competitive, congested year. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Making it to the point of even applying to vet schools shows your tenacity and resolve. (I mean really, I've survived 2.5 years of vet school and OChem is still the subject that makes me shake in my boots. If you beat that, you can beat anything!). I'm hoping for the best for all of you!

No, I was accepted to Tech out of high school and I rejected them (for a boy but that's a messy story and imo, not worth it if anyone is thinking of doing that :p). I went to a community college and was accepted to transfer to Tech and I rejected them. I know they are kind of separate schools, kind not, but I've just got this idea in my head that they don't want me because I've made it seem like I don't want them in the past, not just once, but twice.

If it's any consolation, the vet school, while a part of Tech, runs as a separate entity. It's a "college" inside of the university. We run under their major rules, but going to/not going to VT's main campus won't matter since the admissions team at VMCVM only cares about what's on your VMCAS. I can almost guarantee you they won't even know you ever applied to VT before this unless you outright told them. It would be a different story if you rejected a seat at the vet school in the past and then applied again, but since that isn't the case I don't think you have to worry about your history with Tech when applying!

Reactions: 4 users
I mean really, I've survived 2.5 years of vet school and OChem is still the subject that makes me shake in my boots.

I'm glad you still have this sentiment! I'm two years out of OChem, and every time I feel stressed/super bogged down in school, I think to myself "at least I'm not studying OChem anymore" and I totally relax :laugh: If I'm lucky enough to ever get into vet school, I hope I can keep relying on this feeling like you do!

1,900 applicants??? Dang... that’s a new record I think.

Congrats to all of you who received interview invites! To those who didn’t, chins up.

To answer a couple questions I’ve seen:

1) Yes, they do send out rejections at the interview invite stage.

2) Waitlist movement varies. I know some people in the past have been called the day before interviews, so it ain’t over til it’s over.

3) File reviews happen after the application cycle finishes (after they’ve seated the 2023 class).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah they do send out rejections. I'm IS and rejected. Utterly heartbroken, but I'm holding out for the other schools I applied to. There's always next cycle too :(

1) Two years ago, everyone got either invited for an interview or they got waitlisted. Last year, they did send outright rejections for an interview. With 1,900 applicants, I suspect they’ll send out rejections this year as well.
(Ps they did actually send out rejections for 2021 when interview invites came out)

some people in the past have been called the day before interviews

Do you know how many-ish have been called off the wait list in any particular year?

I'm an 8 or so hour drive from BBurg so I think I could realistically scramble down there at the last minute, but still! I doubt I'll be called off the wait list simply due to the number of applicants, but it's something to keep in the back of my mind.

Would anyone else who got waitlisted care to share some stats? My GPAs in all categories are sub-3.2, so I imagine I'd be pretty far down the list unless they ranked me higher due to my experiences. Not sure how they do it.

Would anyone else who got waitlisted care to share some stats? My GPAs in all categories are sub-3.2, so I imagine I'd be pretty far down the list unless they ranked me higher due to my experiences. Not sure how they do it

I was also waitlisted. My GPAs in all categories is about a 3.98. I have around 1000 vet experience hours, a ton of animal hours (grew up on farm) and around 200 hrs of research.

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone else who got waitlisted care to share some stats? My GPAs in all categories are sub-3.2, so I imagine I'd be pretty far down the list unless they ranked me higher due to my experiences. Not sure how they do it.

The GPA on my VMCAs was a 3.97. I got into the experience game late and only had 850-ish by the time I fully submitted my application. I also did an animal care class in high school that was about 250 hours and volunteered a few times but that only added up to less than 15 hours (so dismal). I was also a lifeguard for 5 years with about 4000 hours there obviously, this isn't animal experience but it shows longevity I guess? And some other pool stuff amounted to another 675-ish hours. No research under my belt.

Edit: And I twas IS interview waitlisted.

Another edit (bc I'm dumb): the 850 hours is in an animal hospital for mainly small and the occasional exotic.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, the vet school, while a part of Tech, runs as a separate entity. It's a "college" inside of the university. We run under their major rules, but going to/not going to VT's main campus won't matter since the admissions team at VMCVM only cares about what's on your VMCAS. I can almost guarantee you they won't even know you ever applied to VT before this unless you outright told them. It would be a different story if you rejected a seat at the vet school in the past and then applied again, but since that isn't the case I don't think you have to worry about your history with Tech when applying!

I figured as much. Thanks for the info.

I was also a lifeguard for 5 years

Vet schools appreciate experiences outside of animals & vet med much more than you'd think. If anything, it sets you apart from people like me who have been doing animals and science for their entire life. It absolutely shows commitment and it also provides evidence of transferable skills which are super important. Don't discredit yourself!

Do you know how many-ish have been called off the wait list in any particular year?

I'm an 8 or so hour drive from BBurg so I think I could realistically scramble down there at the last minute, but still! I doubt I'll be called off the wait list simply due to the number of applicants, but it's something to keep in the back of my mind.

My GPA was a 3.37 according to VMCAS but I believe VAMD is one of the schools that takes your highest grades, so I'd have more of a 3.47, in cum. and science and probably more of a 3.6-3.7 in last 40 hours. ~2000 hrs of vet experience, both in emergency and in general practice, ~126 hours livestock experience w/ no veterinarian, ~200 hours research. I'm very curious as to how they decide who to pull off the waitlist...

Is there a difference between interview waitlisted and just straight waitlisted? I would assume not but I'm not sure. Is there interview invite, interview waitlisted, waitlisted, and rejected? Or just interview invite, interview waitlisted, and rejected?

Did anyone else in here never get an email? I checked spam (like 20 times).

Fudge, you’re right. Fixed it.

You might be getting it confused with the year my class applied! No one for the 2020 application cycle was rejected during the interview process. It was only interview invites and interview waitlisted. At least this is what I gathered via the SDN thread for that application cycle and through what the admissions team has implied (I've never outright asked them). I don't think they've done that since thanks to the sheer volume of applicants, though.

They might be sending them out in waves...they've done that before.
I emailed and I was supposed to get one, but it never got to me. So it was re-sent and I’m “waitlist”. Bummer.:(

Not many from what I remember.

I was also waitlisted. My GPAs in all categories is about a 3.98. I have around 1000 vet experience hours, a ton of animal hours (grew up on farm) and around 200 hrs of research.

That’s really similar to my stats, but I didn’t have research.

Is there a difference between interview waitlisted and just straight waitlisted? I would assume not but I'm not sure. Is there interview invite, interview waitlisted, waitlisted, and rejected? Or just interview invite, interview waitlisted, and rejected?

The bolded

You might be getting it confused with the year my class applied! No one for the 2020 application cycle was rejected during the interview process. It was only interview invites and interview waitlisted. At least this is what I gathered via the SDN thread for that application cycle and through what the admissions team has implied (I've never outright asked them). I don't think they've done that since thanks to the sheer volume of applicants, though.

Yep, I think that’s why I had that in my head.

For the record, no one cares about research, so if you’re worried you don’t have it...don’t worry. I have 4 publications (in journals like Cell...with a cover pic), a 3.5, 10k + in vet experience, 10k+ in zoo experience and it means nothing. Oh...and an LOR from a famous scientist. Im thinking the key may be to be under 30...:unsure:

For the record, no one cares about research, so if you’re worried you don’t have it...don’t worry. I have 4 publications (in journals like Cell...with a cover pic), a 3.5, 10k + in vet experience, 10k+ in zoo experience and it means nothing. Oh...and an LOR from a famous scientist. Im thinking the key may be to be under 30...:unsure:

That's not even remotely true.

Reactions: 7 users
That's not even remotely true.
Really? You think schools have more than one token old person in each class? I was flat out told I would never get into UGA because I’m over 40 by someone last year “Oh honey, I’m sorry, you’re too old. You needed a 4.0 to be that one person”. I guess I’m stuck on that conversation....