VMCVM Class of 2027 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I said uhm and used my hands way too much lol, not expecting an acceptance after that :(
my entire class felt that way and we’re all here now 😂 they take into account you being nervous and saying funky things, don’t over think it too much 😌

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I said uhm and used my hands way too much lol, not expecting an acceptance after that :(
Using your hands isn’t a bad thing when interviewing! It shows that you’re more comfortable than if you were extremely stiff and tense. I also did say um a lot but the reviewers know we’re nervous and nerves aren’t always a bad thing

Denied to 5 out of 6 schools with a Science GPA of 3.2, Last 45 of 3.6 and Overall 3.4. Waiting to hear back from LIU, but feeling defeated. This is not my first time applying and this is my 3rd gap year post undergrad, I know my application was strong in terms of experience and LOR. Did I just get unlucky with this cycle because the veterinarians at my specialty hospital seems to think so? I'm sorry this is just crushing me and I'm truly shocked and upset to not even be waitlisted anywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
Denied to 5 out of 6 schools with a Science GPA of 3.2, Last 45 of 3.6 and Overall 3.4. Waiting to hear back from LIU, but feeling defeated. This is not my first time applying and this is my 3rd gap year post undergrad, I know my application was strong in terms of experience and LOR. Did I just get unlucky with this cycle because the veterinarians at my specialty hospital seems to think so? I'm sorry this is just crushing me and I'm truly shocked and upset to not even be waitlisted anywhere
Aw I’m sorry to hear that, and I know the feeling of rejection is a hard one to cope with. I too was rejected this cycle, I heard this is one of the harder vet schools to get into. Where else did you apply ? Keep your head up !

Aw I’m sorry to hear that, and I know the feeling of rejection is a hard one to cope with. I too was rejected this cycle, I heard this is one of the harder vet schools to get into. Where else did you apply ? Keep your head up !
UF is my IS and i graduated from their undergrad program. They've denied me 3 times while accepting my classmates who had lower GPAs and less experience than I.
Colorado, North Carolina, Ohio, and Cornell all rejected me

UF is my IS and i graduated from their undergrad program. They've denied me 3 times while accepting my classmates who had lower GPAs and less experience than I.
Colorado, North Carolina, Ohio, and Cornell all rejected me

Did you ever setup an apt for application review to see what areas they thought could be improved or hear their thinking.?

Yes, I was told that my GPA was going to be the weakest point (still all above 3.0s at the time)of my application when I applied in 2020, but my experience and letters were excellent. I will do another file review on my application this time around but I'm not sure what's next beyond a masters

I’m so so sorry! The OOS schools you applied to are quite competitive for OOS applicants. GPA cutoffs for OOS students is around a 3.8 for many of those schools. It seems like you are a great applicant- you just might need to re-strategize where you are applying to give you a better chance of getting in. Have you considered any of the Caribbean vet schools?

Here is a helpful resource with a graph breakdown of residents vs. nonresidents for each school: https://www.aavmc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2021-AAVMC-Annual-Data-Report.pdf

Best of luck! I’m rooting for you! We need more veterinarians in the US and your determination shows that you are going to be a great one- please don’t give up!I
Unfortunately Island schools are a no for me as I own reptiles. I was under the impression that schools that use holistic methods for applicant reviews do not just make GPA cuts since that's by definition not a holistic approach and I have an extremely strong application otherwise.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong! But it is my understanding that even schools with holistic approaches have to have a GPA cutoff simply to reduce the large number of applications they receive. If you look at the admissions statistics for OOS students at Colorado, North Carolina, Ohio, and Cornell, their GPA's are all quite high, despite a holistic approach.
It depends on the institution. Per CSU's website, you are subjected to an academic review if your overall GPA is a 3.2 or less. Otherwise you are evaluated holistically.

It depends on the institution. Per CSU's website, you are subjected to an academic review if your overall GPA is a 3.2 or less. Otherwise you are evaluated holistically.
I think Colorado is the only school that does it like this. They also have 4,000 applicants each cycle so only the best of the best get accepted

I think Colorado is the only school that does it like this. They also have 4,000 applicants each cycle so only the best of the best get accepted
Cornell, Ohio, and NC States websites indicate that they use a holistic approach, with no indication of GPA cuts. Regardless, GPA is still being weighed too heavily for these schools to consider themselves holistic. I had my file reviewed by Ohio state and was told I had amazing LOR and experience 2 years ago but have only improved on experience while adding another specialty doctor to write me a LOR so at this point it feels like we are being intentionally misled about what the application process looks like. I understand that these schools received more applications then ever an understand that they need to cut most of these people. I just wish that the process was not so dependent on undergraduate GPA and that I had my application reviewed more thoroughly

Cornell, Ohio, and NC States websites indicate that they use a holistic approach, with no indication of GPA cuts. Regardless, GPA is still being weighed too heavily for these schools to consider themselves holistic. I had my file reviewed by Ohio state and was told I had amazing LOR and experience 2 years ago but have only improved on experience while adding another specialty doctor to write me a LOR so at this point it feels like we are being intentionally misled about what the application process looks like. I understand that these schools received more applications then ever an understand that they need to cut most of these people. I just wish that the process was not so dependent on undergraduate GPA and that I had my application reviewed more thoroughly
Like @dogtorroberta said above, you applied to schools that are notoriously challenging to get into as a non-resident. Especially Colorado and North Carolina. I took a peak at NCSU's website to see if things changed since I was an applicant and it looks like they still require at least a 3.4 cumulative, required science, AND last 45 credit hour GPA to be considered as a non-resident. You said your science GPA was a 3.2, so not sure if your required GPA maybe fell below that cut-off?

To play devil's advocate, vet school admissions committees have to consider academics to some extent. They need to be confident in your ability to academically be successful in the program because it's demanding and you don't get many, if any, do-overs. It's great that you've done file reviews, but adcoms also can't predict what the applicant pool will look like the next year.

Should you chose to apply again, I would re-evaluate which schools you apply to. I was a lower GPA applicant with an otherwise strong application (experiences, LORs, essays, etc.) and I really focused on the schools that evaluate science and last 45 GPAs more heavily than cumulative (my cumulative was pretty junky). And as hard as it is, I would try really hard not to compare yourself to your classmates. They may have had amazing LORs and be really great writers when it came to their essays, you just never know.

Sending positive vibes into the universe that you hear good news from LIU! :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know commonly how many VMCVM students are pulled off waitlist? The wait to here back from this interview is going to kill me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also is anyone else wondering how they are going ti go from 400+ to around 100 just from the interview alone?

Like @dogtorroberta said above, you applied to schools that are notoriously challenging to get into as a non-resident. Especially Colorado and North Carolina. I took a peak at NCSU's website to see if things changed since I was an applicant and it looks like they still require at least a 3.4 cumulative, required science, AND last 45 credit hour GPA to be considered as a non-resident. You said your science GPA was a 3.2, so not sure if your required GPA maybe fell below that cut-off?

To play devil's advocate, vet school admissions committees have to consider academics to some extent. They need to be confident in your ability to academically be successful in the program because it's demanding and you don't get many, if any, do-overs. It's great that you've done file reviews, but adcoms also can't predict what the applicant pool will look like the next year.

Should you chose to apply again, I would re-evaluate which schools you apply to. I was a lower GPA applicant with an otherwise strong application (experiences, LORs, essays, etc.) and I really focused on the schools that evaluate science and last 45 GPAs more heavily than cumulative (my cumulative was pretty junky). And as hard as it is, I would try really hard not to compare yourself to your classmates. They may have had amazing LORs and be really great writers when it came to their essays, you just never know.

Sending positive vibes into the universe that you hear good news from LIU! :luck:
Thank you and I totally get this, I just am frustrated that my application was completely ignored by these schools beyond my GPA when their websites say otherwise.

Also does anyone know if these schools look at your statement for academic faults while evaluating GPA?

Does anyone know commonly how many VMCVM students are pulled off waitlist? The wait to here back from this interview is going to kill me!
OOS moves a decent amount, many of my classmates were pulled off out of state waitlist :) IS though it varies and tends to be very difficult to get pulled off unless you’re high on the list, but each year it depends!!! Maryland tends to move a bit more than Virginia

Also is anyone else wondering how they are going ti go from 400+ to around 100 just from the interview alone?
they have a ranking/point system rubric they will use when reviewing your interview. They will fill the class that way

OOS moves a decent amount, many of my classmates were pulled off out of state waitlist :) IS though it varies and tends to be very difficult to get pulled off unless you’re high on the list, but each year it depends!!! Maryland tends to move a bit more than Virginia
Thank you! Definitely a little more reassuring. I’m technically OOS- used to live in PA but we moved back to MD in October so I would be IS if I apply next cycle

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone could point me to where VMCVM mentioned the dates they will be contacting selected candidates? I checked through my emails from the school and Shelby but couldn't find the dates. They said mid-to-late February, right?

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone could point me to where VMCVM mentioned the dates they will be contacting selected candidates? I checked through my emails from the school and Shelby but couldn't find the dates. They said mid-to-late February, right?
Yes!

I was one of those students this year. GPA for undergrad was 2.99 but my masters and research experience influenced the admission committee to rank me "high". They are certainly holistic, but when you're fighting against so many talented people, some who certainly deserve a slot may be arbitrarily put aside :(

I believe when we were in the zoom, Dr. Pelzer said they would let us know a decision the week of February 13th!

Reactions: 2 users
Contacted admissions office and was told that decisions will be sent out on the week of February 13th!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Contacted admissions office and was told that decisions will be sent out on the week of February 13th!
Seconding everyone else’s anxiety 😬😬 thanks for the update! Counting down the days!

We will be notified though email on selected candidates correct?

I heard that they finished up reviewing all the interviews yesterday! Hopefully we hear something soon!

Reactions: 4 users
I am trying to get a hold of the admissions. Is there another number?
I’m not sure, my recommendation is email shelby!! She’s usually super quick and can maybe give you an alternative

The originally said sometime the week of the 12th which is next week so I’m sure they’re still on that schedule

Hoping we’ll hear back soon!

Anybody thinks it’ll be tomorrow? >.<

Reached out to Shelby and she mentioned they are waiting to receive some additional data back. They hope to have decisions out by the end of this week.

Reached out to Shelby and she mentioned they are waiting to receive some additional data back. They hope to have decisions out by the end of this week.
Thank you for updating us !!!

I'm so anxious. I hope it's before the end of the week but I totally understand making sure all the data is correct. What happens though if you have a great record and bomb on the interview, especially since your scores are now based solely on your interview? I hope I did well.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so anxious. I hope it's before the end of the week but I totally understand making sure all the data is correct. What happens though if you have a great record and bomb on the interview, especially since your scores are now based solely on your interview? I hope I did well.
I feel ya! It's wild to me that it's based solely on interview. It makes me nervous since it was all recorded and I didn't get a read on the human-human interaction I normally would in an interview. 😬

The past 2 years they’ve sent decision emails at 3:01, just incase anyone wants to set an alarm to check their emails at 3:02. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
We didn't hear back until the 28th last year, this week would be great though.

Nothing so far😬
the wait continues then

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else experiencing mental break downs?

• Care
Reactions: 8 users