WashU vs. Greenville, SC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMME25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This a very strange pairing, I know.

Wash U is obviously a great school and in the top tier and would help my chances in residency, I know, but to what extent? How important is school reputation to getting into a residency program, and how important is a great residency program to my future career as a doctor?

Greenville is a brand new school, has a relatively untested curriculum (though integrated and great sounding), and has offered me essentially a full ride. It would cost me approximately 200k less to attend this school.

These are my only two options and I have 24 hours to decide!

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow applicant I am hardly qualified to offer this opinion, but has that ever stopped anyone on forums from running their mouth? ;)

I think it depends on what you are hoping to do in your career. If you want to enter academic medicine, WUSM is imo the right choice. The debt sucks, but it's not like you won't be able to pay it off as a doctor. And the prestige of WashU is hard to beat.

On the other hand, if you are planning on having a private practice, I can't see any MD degree putting you at much of a disadvantage. Especially since you can easily place into a good residency program from any US MD school.

Just my two cents.

I would advise against picking a brand new school only because it has the potential to be a disorganized education. When it comes to something like this, I would want to get the best education possible and not have to deal with any headaches that might arise just because this is a school's first or second year of operation. Not to mention that you have no idea how that school will match. Not saying any of this is going to happen, but why take the risk? It'll be a lot easier to match coming out of WashU than Greenville and I think it will take a lot of stress off you come 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up calling and explaining the situation to a few people at Wash U. They offered me a scholarship, and I will be going!

Reactions: 9 users
I ended up calling and explaining the situation to a few people at Wash U. They offered me a scholarship, and I will be going!
Amazing!! Congrats!!!
1332.gif

Reactions: 1 user