2018-2019 University of South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback - please give us feedback on your experiences: University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received and submitted! But I went back in to copy the questions over to here, and my portal is just blank. Anyone else having this glitch?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received and submitted! But I went back in to copy the questions over to here, and my portal is just blank. Anyone else having this glitch?
They sent a follow up email that said they had to take the portal down for ~ a week b/c the portal is in beta and needs repairs. I hadn't even had a chance to log on. Were the prompts the same as last year?

Reactions: 1 user
I managed to get only the one essay question before it kicked me off of the portal. There were a few questions asking about hardships, etc. Here's the main one:

One of the guiding principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior ." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassion ate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes?

They sent a follow up email that said they had to take the portal down for ~ a week b/c the portal is in beta and needs repairs. I hadn't even had a chance to log on. Were the prompts the same as last year?
Yeah, same as last year! So basically:

1. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

2. What traits, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value and diversity to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassionate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes?

Anyone know if you have to resubmit your secondary in 2 weeks even if you already submitted it?

Seems like there are some additions. Here's all the writing questions I was able to copy down, several are the same as last year. Didn't copy down the character counts for all of them unfortunately. I think they ranged from 1500 - 3500:
  1. If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming year, what are your plans?
  2. If you are currently participating in an academic program, please project intended coursework for the academic year.
  3. Describe any additional medically-related volunteering/shadowing experience not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  4. Describe any additional community service or volunteer activities not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  5. Please describe any additional research or leadership experience not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  6. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)
  7. Describe any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville (2000 characters)
  8. What other additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed?
  9. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have in this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.
  10. One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassionate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes? (3500 characters)

Seems like there are some additions. Here's all the writing questions I was able to copy down, several are the same as last year. Didn't copy down the character counts for all of them unfortunately. I think they ranged from 1500 - 3500:
  1. If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming year, what are your plans?
  2. If you are currently participating in an academic program, please project intended coursework for the academic year.
  3. Describe any additional medically-related volunteering/shadowing experience not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  4. Describe any additional community service or volunteer activities not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  5. Please describe any additional research or leadership experience not included in your AMCAS application. (2000 characters)
  6. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)
  7. Describe any past achievements, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and diversity to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville (2000 characters)
  8. What other additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed?
  9. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have in this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.
  10. One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassionate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes? (3500 characters)
You're amazing.
Anyone else out there remember word counts? Would be greatly appreciated.

You're amazing.
Anyone else out there remember word counts? Would be greatly appreciated.
It goes by character counts. Its 2,000 characters other than the the main essay which is 3,500.

I didn't even get that email, weird. Hoping that it won't interfere with the already submitted apps!!

about how soon after submitting original AMCAs application did you guys receive secondaries?
I was verified back in June. Received it on 7/11 but they took the portal down to fix some issues on the same day. Just received another link yesterday so looks like it might be up again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified back in June. Received it on 7/11 but they took the portal down to fix some issues on the same day. Just received another link yesterday so looks like it might be up again.
thank you! I was verified early July and just received mine two days ago for anyone else wondering possible timelines

The essays all have 5000 characters on mine. Are we expected to fill all 5000 characters for all of them? What are you all doing? ALSO submitted on June 17th, verified on Tuesday (7/17) and received my secondary the same day.

The essays all have 5000 characters on mine. Are we expected to fill all 5000 characters for all of them? What are you all doing? ALSO submitted on June 17th, verified on Tuesday (7/17) and received my secondary the same day.

The only ones I came close to filling are the diversity prompt and their essay question... The rest are significantly less than the max. I figure if I can tell them what I have to say in fewer words they'll appreciate it.

Does USC Greenville review applications without the letters of recommendation? I submitted my secondary yesterday, and received an email today saying my application was complete. However, my letters have not been submitted yet. I haven't heard of any school that does this yet, so I am curious if that by "complete" they mean AMCAS and secondary.

Whenever I try to create a new account for the first time on the secondary app, it sends me an email link that sends me back to the log in page for the app without resetting my password, is anyone else having this issue?

Also, can someone confirm the character limits for each of the essay questions?

Whenever I try to create a new account for the first time on the secondary app, it sends me an email link that sends me back to the log in page for the app without resetting my password, is anyone else having this issue?

Also, can someone confirm the character limits for each of the essay questions?
Are you a MacBook user by chance? This happened to me, so i had to use google chrome before it started working.

Are you a MacBook user by chance? This happened to me, so i had to use google chrome before it started working.
Yeah I'm on a Macbook, I tried Chrome and it let me reset my password! Thanks a lot!

1. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

Should we only answer this if we faced a significant challenge/hardship that really impacted us? Or is this just to write a challenge essay, most of the challenge essays I have written are about smaller personal struggles or difficult decisions, but not significant hardships that I had to overcome

Following on this question too. My guess is any challenges

I'm a rising senior in undergrad, does the first question apply to me or is it asking about a potential gap year? I understand that it's early and "upcoming academic year" could mean something different now than later in the Fall

"What additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed?"

Can I talk about why this school here?

I'm a rising senior in undergrad, does the first question apply to me or is it asking about a potential gap year? I understand that it's early and "upcoming academic year" could mean something different now than later in the Fall

I think it means that if you do not get in this cycle, what will you do with your year off.

"What additional information would you like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed?"

Can I talk about why this school here?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Is anyone listing anything in the spaces for volunteering/leadership/etc not listed on the AMCA application? I'm planning on leaving all blank

Is anyone listing anything in the spaces for volunteering/leadership/etc not listed on the AMCA application? I'm planning on leaving all blank
I did. Primary was only a month ago... Can't expect us to have loads of new stuff to include there

New SDN member here! Quick question about two of the supplemental questions.
1. If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?
2. If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time.

I just graduated and am applying this cycle (so 1 gap year). Are these questions so different in my case? I just thought I should write about my gap year job plans/research/improving my application/etc., but is there a distinction that I should make? Thanks in advance and best of luck to all.

New SDN member here! Quick question about two of the supplemental questions.
1. If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?
2. If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time.

I just graduated and am applying this cycle (so 1 gap year). Are these questions so different in my case? I just thought I should write about my gap year job plans/research/improving my application/etc., but is there a distinction that I should make? Thanks in advance and best of luck to all.

Question 1 is referring to what you would be doing between 2019-2020 (the upcoming academic year).
Question 2 is referring to what you will be doing from now till the start of the academic year.

My answers to both of these questions on the secondary were pretty similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any idea when interview invites will go out/has anyone received an invite yet?

Question 1 is referring to what you would be doing between 2019-2020 (the upcoming academic year).
Question 2 is referring to what you will be doing from now till the start of the academic year.

My answers to both of these questions on the secondary were pretty similar.
Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks so much.

Do you mind sharing stats? IS or OOS? early or regular? day application was confirmed complete?

Interview received this morning for next Wednesday!

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing stats? Are you early or regular?
thank you so much! Interview is actually two weeks from today (typo oops)
Early decision, in state, 510 MCAT, 3.71 GPA

Anyone have a guess at how many II's they've sent out by now? Like over or under 50%

I got my II yesterday at 6pm! Interviewing Sept. 19th!

Late posting this but I received an II on 8/17 at 11:30 AM for Sept. 12th!

Complete 7/25, in-state, GPA 4.0, MCAT 519, regular decision

Does anyone know if Greenville is receptive to ITA requests? I have an interview at Columbia (I'm in state, but don't live nearby) but haven't gotten an interview request from Greenville or MUSC but would love to interview at all three in one trip rather than fly down to SC three times this cycle. Thoughts?

Does anyone know if Greenville is receptive to ITA requests? I have an interview at Columbia (I'm in state, but don't live nearby) but haven't gotten an interview request from Greenville or MUSC but would love to interview at all three in one trip rather than fly down to SC three times this cycle. Thoughts?
Come and tour the school.