West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting, my stats are EXACTLY around yours, but I never got a secondary...I was just "decision deferred"...I don't get it 🙁

Huh. I'm OOS too. My sGPA is around a 3.4 too and 25 MCAT and I was never deferred, period.
 
Hi guys I am a new SDNer and I have a interview on January 16th! I cant wait! Has anyone heard how full the class is?

Also, does anyone have any good tips on how to get from the Roanoke or Yeager airports to a hotel? I'm coming from MN and I'm under 25 so car rental wont be possible. I know the Greenbrier airport is very close but flights into it are over $1000 :/
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting, my stats are EXACTLY around yours, but I never got a secondary...I was just "decision deferred"...I don't get it 🙁

Huh. I'm OOS too. My sGPA is around a 3.4 too and 25 MCAT and I was never deferred, period.

I think this is a school where it may behoove you to compare ECs rather than raw numbers. People with numbers all over the board seem to have been deferred.
 
Hi guys I am a new SDNer and I have a interview on January 16th! I cant wait! Has anyone heard how full the class is?

Also, does anyone have any good tips on how to get from the Roanoke or Yeager airports to a hotel? I'm coming from MN and I'm under 25 so car rental wont be possible. I know the Greenbrier airport is very close but flights into it are over $1000 :/

Coolingglasses and I interviewed the same day and we were both accepted, so they are still accepting many of their interviewees. Don't worry. Plus you're interviewing just after 1st deposits are due for everyone accepted first round, so they'll have a good idea of how many seats are filled/open so you should have a good shot at getting accepted still.

Can't help with transportation though, I drove from NY.
 
Hi guys I am a new SDNer and I have a interview on January 16th! I cant wait! Has anyone heard how full the class is?

Also, does anyone have any good tips on how to get from the Roanoke or Yeager airports to a hotel? I'm coming from MN and I'm under 25 so car rental wont be possible. I know the Greenbrier airport is very close but flights into it are over $1000 :/

Just book your car rental online. I've rented a car when I was 23 or 24. If you can't find a place that will rent a car to you, PM, because I will be driving down from Pittsburgh on Tuesday before the interview. Roanoke is only an hour extra, I might be able to give you a ride.
 
I am interviewing here this coming Wednesday, I will be flying into the LWB airport Tuesday midday and will have a rental car, if anyone else is interviewing this day and wants to get together the day before shoot me an email...I'll be checking out the area and eating local...staying at the holiday inn express
 
Hi guys!

So I have an interview next week on December 14th...and it appears there is a meteor shower that is peaking on the night of the 13th...anyone want to get together and watch it the night before? I'm so excited, there's no light pollution there really, it could be pretty amazing.

PM me if anyone else has that date and wants to get together?
 
Hi All,

I have an interview this Friday (12/7). Anyone driving from the DMV area tomorrow? Please PM me.

Thanks
 
I really liked WV when I interviewed. Everyone was so friendly and you could tell that their only goal is to make you a good doctor. Unfortunately, after thinking about what kind of physician I want to be, and the patient population I want to be exposed to, I just decided another school was a better fit. I declined my acceptance yesterday, and hope it goes to one of you. As a reapplicant, I remember being on a waitlist for a school I really wanted to go to last year, I just wanted to leave a spot open to someone who would appreciate it more, and especially before 2013. Good luck and I wish everyone the best of luck!
 
I really liked WV when I interviewed. Everyone was so friendly and you could tell that their only goal is to make you a good doctor. Unfortunately, after thinking about what kind of physician I want to be, and the patient population I want to be exposed to, I just decided another school was a better fit. I declined my acceptance yesterday, and hope it goes to one of you. As a reapplicant, I remember being on a waitlist for a school I really wanted to go to last year, I just wanted to leave a spot open to someone who would appreciate it more, and especially before 2013. Good luck and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Had the same problem, same conclusion. 👍 Lewisburg is awesome, too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted :-/
Better than a rejection I guess

I wouldn't worry. It's still early in the cycle and deposits are due at the end of the week, I think, for everyone who found out before November 15th. So after Christmas they'll have a better idea of the number of seats left, and start taking people off the wait-list.
 
Do you get to choose your rotation sites?

iirc, you're locked into WV for your third year but they have sites in various types of areas around the state. I forget how they arrange the rotations but I remember it looking like a pretty organized process. I think for 4th year you can go outside the state, but you have to arrange it. BUT I was told WVSOM will help you out.
 
WVSOM or PCOM? Feedback anyone?
😕

I live in a small rural area in PA so WV would be something I was used to, but then again I liked PCOM and maybe should get out in the city for a while. Also, OOS tuition $$
 
Withdrawing from here. It was a difficult decision, this was the best looking campus I have interviewed at and it sort of hurts that I am withdrawing but I believe it is for the best. Hopefully this opens up opportunity for someone else! Good luck to everyone!👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Conversational and open file. I was asked about my MCAT...ugh...but mostly they asked Why WVSOM, where do I see myself in the future and can I handle the stress.
 
I have an interview here on February 6. Does anyone have an idea of how full the class is? Is the interview conversational and open file only?
 
Conversational and open file. I was asked about my MCAT...ugh...but mostly they asked Why WVSOM, where do I see myself in the future and can I handle the stress.

Yeah pretty much. They asked me what my hardest class in undergrad was (probably because the only blimp on my transcript is the C+ in orgo 2.) They also asked me to talk about rural medicine, but I grew up in a rural area and want to practice to rural medicine so that's all over my application. Really they just want to get to know you, I felt like. I really don't think I asked enough questions, and that's the one thing I'd change, but in the end it didn't matter.
 
Gave up my interview spot for next Wednesday. I received an acceptance at another school, and need to save the gas money.

Good Luck to whoever might get that spot.
 
Does anyone know if they give any preference to in state WV students and how full the 2013 class is already? and how competitive has it been this year?
I know the class size is about 200.
 
Thanks for the info. I live about 100 miles from both schools on the WV side and I want to go one of these two schools to stay near home (applied to 9 in total knowing I would certainly attend given the opportunity). Hope its not too late. My application was release today 1/10/13 I've received a secondary from Pikeville but not word on WVSOM yet. 3.1sGPA 3.3cGPA + decent EC working/volunteer/shadow and taking the MCAT in two weeks. What are my chances?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I live about 100 miles from both schools on the WV side and I want to go one of these two schools to stay near home (applied to 9 in total knowing I would certainly attend given the opportunity). Hope its not too late. My application was release today 1/10/13 I've received a secondary from Pikeville but not word on WVSOM yet. 3.1sGPA 3.3cGPA + decent EC working/volunteer/shadow and taking the MCAT in two weeks. What are my chances?

Because it's late and I don't have an MCAT score to look at, I can't really say.

I got an acceptance with a ~3.1/27 though.
 
Can someone please tell me about how many of those applied are offered interviews, and about how many of those interviewed are offered acceptances? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad