West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They rescheduled mine by a week since I had a few exams the week of my scheduled interview!

Members don't see this ad.

I have my interview this Friday. I hope things go smoothly. So nervous!

I have my interview this Friday. I hope things go smoothly. So nervous!
Good luck tomorrow! And then come back and tell us all about it because mine is next Friday. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone interviewing/accepted have a DO letter?

As far as I'm aware, a DO letter is required. (Unless this is changing due to the upcoming DO/MD
merger?)

Does everyone interviewing/accepted have a DO letter?

You don't need one to interview but for your file to be complete you do need a DO's letter of recommendation. Someone on my interview day didn't have a DO letter yet but Annette from admissions printed them out the AOA's website address where they have their listing of DOs.

Yea today one of the students had a letter from an MD but was told that he needed a letter from a DO.

So I wanted to write a little bit about my interview day here. I came in early and had a chance to talk to the morning interviewees and get to know them. Everyone was so nice and easy to talk to. I came to WVSOM thinking that I would never in a million years go here. It's all the way in WV and so far from home. But my views changed drastically. I had my interview in the afternoon, so when everyone had arrived, we started the tour. The campus is pretty large (much bigger than I thought it was going to be and they're still expanding!). Angie was so nice and if your group isn't very talkative, she has the personality that will make you feel at ease and comfortable. We walked around for about an hour (I don't exactly remember the order of the buildings). We met with the President and he talked to us, gave his little speech and even gave us candy haha. We walked into the bookstore which wasn't all that special. I found out that WVSOM requires their students to buy textbooks. The school has 21 simulators! Which I was surprised to hear. One of the second years did state that so far he's only been able to use it 4 times and that the simulators are under-utilized (though that might be changing with the new curriculum currently implemented on first years and the kinks will be fixed for class of 2017). We met a standardized patient (student actor) and talked to him for a bit. We saw the OPP (osteopathic practice and principles) room. It was pretty impressive. We saw the lecture halls and went into the first year lecture hall. While Angie was talking to a couple of the interviewees, some first years came up to us and just started talked and asking if we had any questions for them. They were so nice and I think it really showed the type of students WVSOM admits. We had lunch with 3 students who answered any questions we had about studying habits, boards, partying, the curriculum, etc. They didn't really give us anything that they thought was bad about the school or that they thought could be changed. The food was hot and delicious (it was lasagna). We had our pictures taken and we were pretty much on schedule the entire time. BTW almost all of the buildings the students have access to 24/7.

After that I was the first to interview in my group. The interviewers were a PhD, DO, and the program director. I thought the interview went really well. They kept things very conversational and didn't really throw any curveballs They didn't stress you out. They asked about a lot of stuff that was on my application. When it came time to ask them questions, they were more than willing to answer your questions and were very knowledgeable and provided great answers. After my interview, I decided to stay on campus and visit either a lecture or lab. Lucky for me and another interviewee, a first year came through the building and offered to take us into the anatomy lab. He and a couple of his buddies showed us like 4-6 cadavers and brains and the ones that had an aneurysm, stroke, blood clots, etc. They showed the a bunch of cool stuff. The cool thing about this was that their lab was done and over with but they chose to stay behind and show us around and answer questions that we had and offered their advice on things.

I left WVSOM with a very different attitude from when I first came here. I thought I would never ever go here but after visiting and meeting such nice students, I think this has become my top choice. Fingers crossed that I get in.

Please excuse any grammar mistakes and whatnot. It's late and I don't feel like going through and editing. Feel free to PM me or ask questions on here about my day.

I'm glad it went well and the interview wasn't too stressful. How many of you were interviewing yesterday? And about how long did your interview last?

There was supposed to be 8 of us but someone from WV didn't show up (which is rude and inconsiderate. That spot could've been given to someone who will actually come to the interview). My interview lasted around 30 minutes I think. It might have been 40 minutes but I'm not sure.

I'm glad it went well and the interview wasn't too stressful. How many of you were interviewing yesterday? And about how long did your interview last?

My status has been "decision deferred" for over a month-no secondary or ii. Anyone know if this means wait-listed or rejected?

There was supposed to be 8 of us but someone from WV didn't show up (which is rude and inconsiderate. That spot could've been given to someone who will actually come to the interview). My interview lasted around 30 minutes I think. It might have been 40 minutes but I'm not sure.

Okay so it's a small group. Do the same three people interview all the applicants? Did you have any issues finding the room or did they pretty much show you where to go? Where the questions pretty much why DO/WVSOM/etc and then on to application stuff?

Sorry I don't know. It might be best to call them and see what's up.

My status has been "decision deferred" for over a month-no secondary or ii. Anyone know if this means wait-listed or rejected?

Yea and they have morning and afternoon interviews so that makes it even smaller. I had the afternoon interview so I didn't have to come in until 10am. The interviewers change from morning to afternoon. The program coordinator Angie took us around, showed us things, and told us something about each place. Yea the questions I had were pretty much what you said. Nothing stressful and nothing out there. No ethical questions or healthcare questions. They started off with an ice breaker and then went into why osteopathic medicine and talked about things off of your application.

Okay so it's a small group. Do the same three people interview all the applicants? Did you have any issues finding the room or did they pretty much show you where to go? Where the questions pretty much why DO/WVSOM/etc and then on to application stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea and they have morning and afternoon interviews so that makes it even smaller. I had the afternoon interview so I didn't have to come in until 10am. The interviewers change from morning to afternoon. The program coordinator Angie took us around, showed us things, and told us something about each place. Yea the questions I had were pretty much what you said. Nothing stressful and nothing out there. No ethical questions or healthcare questions. They started off with an ice breaker and then went into why osteopathic medicine and talked about things off of your application.

So do you all go on the tour then together, morning and afternoon interviewees?

Thanks for answering all these questions btw:D

Morning and afternoon interviewees go on the tour and eat lunch together with 2nd years. After lunch the morning people leave and the afternoon people wait for their interview.

You're welcome. And like sarus said, both groups toured and had lunch together. The morning people left after taking photos.

On another note, I just realized I might have done something that could ruin my chances. I brought in one of the small water bottles that they gave us and drank during the interview! I didn't just do it once but multiple times! I hope it doesn't hurt my chances too much.

On another note, I just realized I might have done something that could ruin my chances. I brought in one of the small water bottles that they gave us and drank during the interview! I didn't just do it once but multiple times! I hope it doesn't hurt my chances too much.[/QUOTE]

Drinking water isn't a problem. I think that everyone understands that you need to have a drink and they would probably prefer you to take some water instead of feeling like you have a dry throat. I was late to the interview because of a flat tired and they still accepted me (Annette actually drove me back to my car at the end of the day even!)

On another note, I just realized I might have done something that could ruin my chances. I brought in one of the small water bottles that they gave us and drank during the interview! I didn't just do it once but multiple times! I hope it doesn't hurt my chances too much.

I think we all freak out about little things, but I also think the interviewers realize we're human and there are certain things that humans do, ie like drinking water and getting flat tires. Don't worry about it. I talk with my hands, especially when I'm excited, and I know will be talking with my hands on Friday so you can tell me not to worry about that after my interview okay? ;):p

I got the decision deferred email post interview ... which means more waiting .. ugh

Did they say anything about how long it will take to find out their decision?

Angie said 2 weeks but the lady who interviewed me (I don't remember who it is) said it'll be 3 weeks.

Did they say anything about how long it will take to find out their decision?

It was exactly one day short of two weeks for me. Angie said two to three weeks.
I cheated by calling in before they'd updated the portal.:D

Anyone else here that interviewed on the 28th?

And I think the flat tire story shows the quality character of this school. KCOM was rejecting people last year that didn't show up to the interview during that big winter blizzard that shut down all the airports. I happened to make it, and the admissions lady was laughing over it. Don't think that would have happened at WVSOM.

Last edited:
Mailman finally brought the acceptance letter today, but not the packet. How soon after should I expect it?

Mailman finally brought the acceptance letter today, but not the packet. How soon after should I expect it?
Annette said there is no packet. You need to go to the portal and download required forms.

Do they mail the acceptance letters? Do you get a phone call, email, or an updated status on the website?

I'm so nervous. I hope I hear back this week.

Edit: I just went to my checklist. Next to Application status it says "In progress". Under that, next to Decision it says "Accept Applicant". What does that mean?

Do they mail the acceptance letters? Do you get a phone call, email, or an updated status on the website?

I'm so nervous. I hope I hear back this week.

Edit: I just went to my checklist. Next to Application status it says "In progress". Under that, next to Decision it says "Accept Applicant". What does that mean?

That means you're in! You'll get a letter in a little while, but that's the status change you want to see--congrats!

Are you serious??? YES! I don't know if I should wait for the letter before I freak out or just freak out anyways.

That means you're in! You'll get a letter in a little while, but that's the status change you want to see--congrats!

Are you serious??? YES! I don't know if I should wait for the letter before I freak out or just freak out anyways.

You can freak out now, you've definitely been accepted if that's what it says. A few pages back a few of us discussed this very same thing so maybe look back to those posts o ease your mind. You can relax now!

Glad you guys cleared that up. Just saw the same thing on my portal!

And meanwhile I'm going to continue to freak out and think they've rejected me. :scared:

Does anyone know what it will say when they reject you? Does it stay "decision pending" until you get a rejection letter?

Yea! I got my official letter in the mail today. Or, I got it at my permanent address. I haven't checked my mailing address yet.

Glad you guys cleared that up. Just saw the same thing on my portal!

Withdrawing my acceptance today. Was a really, really hard decision, as this is a great school in a wonderful little town. Hope one of you guys waiting in the stands gets my spot.

Crossing my fingers for a portal change tomorrow.

I have an interview on December 10th! :D

Does anyone live in the area of WVSOM that could give me some advice on the weather/driving conditions in December? I have an interview on the 19th, and I'll be driving up from Texas (where we don't have snow, mountains, or any other sort of cold weather conditions), so I was just wondering what I should expect!

Congrats to you all! I'm still waiting to hear back from WV; when were you all complete and stats? OOS or in-state? Thanks

I was complete mid-October and am OOS. My stats are c3.20/s3.64/27. I have a strong upward trend and two BA degrees.

Congrats to you all! I'm still waiting to hear back from WV; when were you all complete and stats? OOS or in-state? Thanks

I was complete 9/28, I was decision deferred 10/15, until yesterday afternoon. I'm OOS and I have a sGPA: 3.4, with a 25 MCAT. I'm also an engineering undergrad, so I dont know if that impacted anything.

I submitted my AACOMAS to them sometime in October and I haven't heard anything back from them since. I am OOS and my sci GPA is 3.2 and my Overall GPA is 3.5. I got a 26R the second time I took my MCAT. I have pretty strong extracurriculuars and I am working with americorps....should I be worried?

I'm STILL decision pending after interviewing 11/9. This sucks. -_-

I'm STILL decision pending after interviewing 11/9. This sucks. -_-

There's only been two Tuesdays (the say the ADCOMs meet) since you interviewed, and one of them they were probably on break for Thanksgiving. You may get some news today, but it may take another week or so of Tuesday meetings.

There's only been two Tuesdays (the say the ADCOMs meet) since you interviewed, and one of them they were probably on break for Thanksgiving. You may get some news today, but it may take another week or so of Tuesday meetings.

Haha, apparently I was a little impatient. I got in. :D

I was complete 9/28, I was decision deferred 10/15, until yesterday afternoon. I'm OOS and I have a sGPA: 3.4, with a 25 MCAT. I'm also an engineering undergrad, so I dont know if that impacted anything.
Interesting, my stats are EXACTLY around yours, but I never got a secondary...I was just "decision deferred"...I don't get it :(