This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone,

Could someone knowledgeable give me their input on my chances?

Stats:

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.86
MCAT: 506

Bachelors in health science meaning I took classes in anatomy, physiology, medical term, etc. Upward trend in grades and GPA. Have LOR from a podiatrist who attended my top choice (Scholl) and 2 science faculty letters and I am an instate applicant also.

EC’s are pretty basic imo. Many hours volunteering in E.R. shadowing physicians (DO), homeless shelters, volunteering at my mosque, working as a registrar at a clinic, etc.

However,

I failed Orgo 1 in my sophomore year and physics 2 in my Junior year. I have doubts as to how this is going to affect my chances despite doing everything I could to redeem myself (increasing my MCAT from 497-506 and getting only As and Bs since then.

If someone could please give me their input I would highly appreciate it.
My top school of choice is Scholl and they verified my application on the 27th of January.

-THANK YOU

SciGPA is less competitive, but the MCAT should make up for it. Prepare well for the interviews, and I would suggest adding another program or two, just in case.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I am applying for this cycle and I'd love to get some input on my chances

GPA 3.62
sGPA:3.46
MCAT 490
EC: 80+ hr shadowing pediatric oncology, PT, spinal surgery, and Pod combined (and more pod shadowing coming up), honors program, 2 years of undergrad research, field research in Costa Rica, 2 semester as a lab TA, 1 year biology/chemistry tutor, 2 years as a Resident Assistant, member of two honor societies (E-board for 1 of them), and some volunteering as well. Currently working in a ped. office

Applying to NYCPM, Temple, Barry, Kent, and DMU
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
SciGPA is less competitive, but the MCAT should make up for it. Prepare well for the interviews, and I would suggest adding another program or two, just in case.
Thank you, I added DMU and Kent.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am applying to NYCPM for the Sept 2022/ Jan 2023 entering class and would appreciate any feedback on my stats and background. I have recently found out about podiatry through my current field. I'm 26 and did terrible as a Bio major during my freshman year with a C, D, C-, F in the sciences. I then took AP 1 & 2 (B- in both), microbio (C+), and retook chem 1 (A-). I plan on only retaking the F from Bio 2, begin the other pre-reqs, biochem, and genetics.
- cGPA 3.7 sGPA (after finishing courses): 2.9-3.0
- Since then I've gotten a 4.0 in a Masters in Applied Behavior Analysis where I completed my thesis for publication on medical non-compliance, including a section on podiatry/orthotics patient compliance. With this degree I become licensed to work on ADL interventions with kids with ASD, a population with various podiatry related issues.
- During undergrad I worked as a pediatric medical assistant in a private practice (~ 1000 hours)
- I was an ER volunteer in Mount Sinai hospital (~50 hours) during undergrad
- I'm currently shadowing 3 podiatrists
- I'm taking the MCAT in 8-10 months

Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone! I am applying to NYCPM for the Sept 2022/ Jan 2023 entering class

- cGPA 3.7

sGPA (after finishing courses): 2.9-3.0
Retake your courses and focus on the MCAT. Your masters is great and all but doesn't matter if you can't prove to them you can handle a medical school curriculum and pass.

If you can maintain a 2.9-3.0 sGPA after retakes and score decently on the MCAT (aim for a 500, don't do the bare minimum.), you will get an acceptance.

Retake your courses and focus on the MCAT. Your masters is great and all but doesn't matter if you can't prove to them you can handle a medical school curriculum and pass.

If you can maintain a 2.9-3.0 sGPA after retakes and score decently on the MCAT (aim for a 500, don't do the bare minimum.), you will get an acceptance.
Thank you for responding. I can only take them at a community college right now, would this hinder my chances?

Thank you for responding. I can only take them at a community college right now, would this hinder my chances?
For MD/DO applications not sure. They'd probably rather see university /post-bac level.
Best way to know for sure is to call/ email specific schools you're targeting and see what they think

I am planning on applying next cycle for the class of 2026. I am hoping to get some feedback on my chances.

1. Applying to All 9 Schools
2. cGPA: 2.90 / sGPA: 2.66
3. 496
4. I have been working as a medical assistant/scribe in a podiatry office for the past year, probably close to 1500 hours. I have also shadowed 3 different podiatrist for a total of about 40 hours. I have strong LOR from 2 podiatrist and 1 from a Research professor. I was also promoted recently to startup an in-clinic pharmacy at the office where i work.
5. I worked for 2 years as a Registered behavior technician doing behavior therapy for autistic children. I also worked on a CRISPR research project for about a year and a half.
6.I have roughly about 200 volunteer hours doing after school tutoring at an underserved elementary school and for the Boys and Girls Club.

*Note, my worst grade was a D+ in advanced physiology my last semester, which was spring 2020 during the pandemic. The grades in my other classes were okay (mostly B's) that semester but I did not adjust well to the changes made in that class.
Appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

I am planning on applying next cycle for the class of 2026. I am hoping to get some feedback on my chances.

1. Applying to All 9 Schools
2. cGPA: 2.90 / sGPA: 2.66
3. 496
4. I have been working as a medical assistant/scribe in a podiatry office for the past year, probably close to 1500 hours. I have also shadowed 3 different podiatrist for a total of about 40 hours. I have strong LOR from 2 podiatrist and 1 from a Research professor. I was also promoted recently to startup an in-clinic pharmacy at the office where i work.
5. I worked for 2 years as a Registered behavior technician doing behavior therapy for autistic children. I also worked on a CRISPR research project for about a year and a half.
6.I have roughly about 200 volunteer hours doing after school tutoring at an underserved elementary school and for the Boys and Girls Club.

*Note, my worst grade was a D+ in advanced physiology my last semester, which was spring 2020 during the pandemic. The grades in my other classes were okay (mostly B's) that semester but I did not adjust well to the changes made in that class.
Appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

1. Don't apply to all 9 programs; choose your top 3-4.
2. Sci GPA is lower than accepted. Have you taken bio courses like Microbio, A&P, Biochemistry, etc.?
3. MCAT is fine.

4. ECs are excellent.

That said, you will get interview invites based on your current stats. If you have not taken the courses I stated above, I suggest you take them before applying. Otherwise, apply on day 1 and hope for the best! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Wondering if you guys can provide me with some knowledge about the pod application process. I was drawn to the field not too long ago and discovered it to a be a career that would well suit my ambitions in terms of work-life balance and goals. I also didn't know this was a distinguished field and the doctor I had been visiting for years prior was actually a pod dr. However, I am Canadian and if other Canadian applicants could pitch in to help guide me through the application process.

My stats:
3.15 cGPA - strong upward trend with near 4.0 years in my 4th and now 5th year.
499 MCAT-
Research experience, with volunteer experience, and sports playing/coaching experience as well. Are these stats/ec sufficient?

Also for Canadians what is the process of transcript evaluations? I know on AACPMAS we put in transcript grades and then further can get our institution to send them as well but I read on some specific school websites they require transcripts to be evaluated by a company?? I am confused on this process if anyone can explain to me in detail. Also lastly, would it be too late to apply in the cycle, I am planning to submit my applications by the end of this month?

Thanks!

Hello, your stats are fine. What is your Science GPA? Have you shadowed a DPM yet?
For the transcript question please see the following links:

US and English-Canadian Transcripts

sGPA is 3.0. I have not yet shadowed a DPM due to the strict guidelines put in place by the health authority in my province, however, I have contacted some schools who will accept the MD LOR or will put me in touch with virtual shadowing.

Thank you for the link, that was really helpful! And would the application be in time as I plan to submit 2 weeks from now?

Thanks.

If you know the schools you will be applying to, I suggest emailing/calling them first then submitting an app. It's not too late, but it's better to know their seat availability before paying the app fee. Good luck!

cGPA: 3.25
sciGPA: 2.94 (AACPMAS could change this, but this is what I got)

Non-traditional undergraduate degree (Engineering).

Took the old MCAT a long time ago, but didn't do well. Not sure how the new MCAT will go as I haven't prepped yet. What number should I aim for given my GPAs above?

Worked two years in academic research.
Working in industry, 5+ years
Four publications in engineering journals.

During undergrad, I was interested in going MD/DO, but decided to join the workforce instead (somewhat gave up after the low MCAT). I am thinking of getting back into this, but wanted to get an idea of how much of an uphill battle this would be. Also, generally speaking, do prerequisites expire? I heard some medical schools have policies like this, not sure about Podiatry schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

of an uphill battle this would be. Also, generally speaking, do prerequisites expire? I heard some medical schools have policies like this, not sure about Podiatry schools.
Aim for 500+

Not sure about current policies. Email schools you're interested in directly and ask. That's the most sure-fire way to get a response at a specific program you're interested in.

Admissions - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

asking fro a friend who had a 2.9cgpa and 2.7ishgpa in undergrad. He did a 2 year research based SMP with me but didn't do so hot 2nd quarter and got 3Cs. it was our hardest quarter + had some health issues. Now he will have a smp gpa also around 2.9. Is podiatry school still and option for him? his MCAT was 511 btw so he wanted to see if he had a chance.

Last edited:
asking fro a friend who had a 2.9cgpa and 2.7ishgpa in undergrad. He did a 2 year research based SMP with me but didn't do so hot 2nd quarter and got 3Cs. it was out hardest quarter + had some health issues. Now he will have a smp gpa also around 2.9. Is podiatry school still and option for him? his MCAT was 511 btw so he wanted to see if he had a chance.
Have him shadow or talk to a DPM first.

Its nice to shotgun your apps to other professions but at least tell him he should know what he's getting into.

Some schools will pick him up based off MCAT alone.

Have him shadow or talk to a DPM first.

Its nice to shotgun your apps to other professions but at least tell him he should know what he's getting into.

Some schools will pick him up based off MCAT alone.
yeah he's shadowed DPM. Our school also has one of the 9DPM colleges so he's shadowed/has exposure too. It's always been a serious interest for him before the SMP too but he thought doing the SMP could open his chances for DO and therefore leave the opportunity open if he liked a different field.

Took the old MCAT a long time ago, but didn't do well. Not sure how the new MCAT will go as I haven't prepped yet. What number should I aim for given my GPAs above?

Worked two years in academic research.
Working in industry, 5+ years
Four publications in engineering journals.

During undergrad, I was interested in going MD/DO, but decided to join the workforce instead (somewhat gave up after the low MCAT). I am thinking of getting back into this, but wanted to get an idea of how much of an uphill battle this would be. Also, generally speaking, do prerequisites expire? I heard some medical schools have policies like this, not sure about Podiatry schools.

I think you'll have a decent shot with your gpa. I have 2.9 and 501 mcat, still got in.

Edit: forgot to mention I got a 3.78 SMP too

his MCAT was 511 btw so he wanted to see if he had a chance.
definitely would be accepted, he'll get in

there's only 9 schools, so have your friend do his research. no need to apply to all 9 (it's not like med school where one applies to 30 schools and gets 5 interviews)

yeah he's shadowed DPM. Our school also has one of the 9DPM colleges so he's shadowed/has exposure too. It's always been a serious interest for him before the SMP too but he thought doing the SMP could open his chances for DO and therefore leave the opportunity open if he liked a different field.
Then he's fine.

Tell him to pick his top 3 and apply

WAMC? (Fall 2022 Entry)

- Canadian Student
- cGPA: 3.20
- sGPA: >3.0 (not sure exactly)
- MCAT: 496
- Shadowing: 30 hours MD (cardiovascular surgery)
- EC's: 1 year of research (8 months at Harvard Medical School), 250 hours in local hospital ER, 500 hours in a local church.
- Hoping to apply to AZPOD and NYCPM only (unless I can somehow shadow a podiatrist and gain a LOR from a DPM).

Thank you!

WAMC? (Fall 2022 Entry)

- Canadian Student
- cGPA: 3.20
- sGPA: >3.0 (not sure exactly)
- MCAT: 496
- Shadowing: 30 hours MD (cardiovascular surgery)
- EC's: 1 year of research (8 months at Harvard Medical School), 250 hours in local hospital ER, 500 hours in a local church.
- Hoping to apply to AZPOD and NYCPM only (unless I can somehow shadow a podiatrist and gain a LOR from a DPM).

Thank you!
Definitely fine. Fellow Canadian accepted for 2021 entry.

Shadowing a pod will be the next step for you. Depending on where you live in Canada, you can get some shadowing done as it is up to the pod if they are willing (i.e Pods in Ontario are in Private Practice so they can determine whether or not to take you on vs BC/AB pods where some are hospital employed and may have to follow hospital protocol).

Make sure you want to do podiatry. You are locking yourself into foot and ankle and paying 300k USD is a big investment. But from a Canadian perspective, I understand that this is our next best option to practice medicine (at this current time) in comparison to heading over to the Carrib. Just make sure you truly want to practice podiatry.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me!

Hello,
I am looking to apply this coming August for the class of 2026 cycle. My current stats are:
cGpa ~ 3.4 sGpa ~3.3
MCAT: Scheduled for April 23. I have taken multiple practice MCAT tests. The scores were as follows: 491, 495, 498. I can't seem to break the 500 barrier yet, but will give it my best shot.
EC's: Worked as a MA at a podiatrist office for 500 + Hours, Shadowed podiatric surgeries for 30 + hours, 2 years voluntary/community service as a missionary for my church.

Knowing that I want to apply day 1 of the next cycle, that doesn't leave me much time. That being said, what MCAT score should I feel comfortable shooting for that will get me invites, and what should I try to do for more EC's. I feel like I don't have the most outstanding EC's.
Also, does anyone know of a website I can use to calculate my GPA as the schools will see it. My current school transcript has my cGPA at a 3.55 but I retook one class and replaced a C grade with an A. And I know podiatry schools do not do grade replacement.

Hello,
I am looking to apply this coming August for the class of 2026 cycle. My current stats are:
cGpa ~ 3.4 sGpa ~3.3
MCAT: Scheduled for April 23. I have taken multiple practice MCAT tests. The scores were as follows: 491, 495, 498. I can't seem to break the 500 barrier yet, but will give it my best shot.
EC's: Worked as a MA at a podiatrist office for 500 + Hours, Shadowed podiatric surgeries for 30 + hours, 2 years voluntary/community service as a missionary for my church.

Knowing that I want to apply day 1 of the next cycle, that doesn't leave me much time. That being said, what MCAT score should I feel comfortable shooting for that will get me invites, and what should I try to do for more EC's. I feel like I don't have the most outstanding EC's.
Also, does anyone know of a website I can use to calculate my GPA as the schools will see it. My current school transcript has my cGPA at a 3.55 but I retook one class and replaced a C grade with an A. And I know podiatry schools do not do grade replacement.
I think you have a pretty solid chance at most program given your gpa and mcat. My gpa is alot lower than yours and still manage to nab one acceptance without a podiatrist LOR.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my question so I apologize in advance.

I'm a non-trad re-applicant. 489 MCAT, 2.99 Overall GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.7 SMP GPA. I know my MCAT is absolute garbage but I have a strong upward trend in post bacc science courses as well as my graduate courses now. I applied to all schools and gotten a few interviews so far. I've interviewed at two schools and have been rejected post-interview. My first interview went horribly but I thought the second went well. I know my stats are low but I'm now worried about the rest of my interviews. Has anyone interviewed at a school, gotten rejected, and then re-applied?
Hi iwannabeapod! Can I ask, what school you applied too/got rejected from?

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my question so I apologize in advance.

I'm a non-trad re-applicant. 489 MCAT, 2.99 Overall GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.7 SMP GPA. I know my MCAT is absolute garbage but I have a strong upward trend in post bacc science courses as well as my graduate courses now. I applied to all schools and gotten a few interviews so far. I've interviewed at two schools and have been rejected post-interview. My first interview went horribly but I thought the second went well. I know my stats are low but I'm now worried about the rest of my interviews. Has anyone interviewed at a school, gotten rejected, and then re-applied?
I think if you retake your mcat and score a bit higher you will get an acceptance. My stats are lower than yours with the exception that my mcat is 501 and was able to gain an acceptance.

thank you! I just figured the stats were somewhat ok hence the interviews and I was thinking it's more of a "me" thing and the schools just hated me
You might be right but comparing our stats that's the only thing that I see that is different from my application

thank you! I just figured the stats were somewhat ok hence the interviews and I was thinking it's more of a "me" thing and the schools just hated me
No excuse for that MCAT score.

Your sGPA is an indicator of how well you'll do in classes.
Your MCAT is an indicator of "Does this student know how to sit down and study for a board exam?"

You need to be able to do both.

Retake your MCAT. You are not doing yourself any favors by shying away from it. If you find a school that is desperate to fill seats and you get accepted, make sure you are fixing your deficits to pass both classes and board exams. No excuses.

cGPA: 2.96

sGPA: 3.1

MCAT: 507

Masters in Anatomical Sciences (SMP lul)

Few hundred hours of clinical volunteering. 30 hours of MD/DO shadowing.

Looking to apply podiatry, but COVID is making it a little rough to get in contact with a podiatrist for exposure, and schools haven't been too clear about LORs from DPMs.

That aside, wamc for this Fall?

cGPA: 2.96

sGPA: 3.1

MCAT: 507

Masters in Anatomical Sciences (SMP lul)

Few hundred hours of clinical volunteering. 30 hours of MD/DO shadowing.

Looking to apply podiatry, but COVID is making it a little rough to get in contact with a podiatrist for exposure, and schools haven't been too clear about LORs from DPMs.

That aside, wamc for this Fall?
Should be fine with your stats. If you are near one of the schools try reaching out to them for shadowing opportunities.

Should be fine with your stats. If you are near one of the schools try reaching out to them for shadowing opportunities.
Not close to any unfortunately, but I called Arizona and NY, and they both said that they'd prefer virtual meetings with DPMs now over shadowing.

Not close to any unfortunately, but I called Arizona and NY, and they both said that they'd prefer virtual meetings with DPMs now over shadowing.

That's good as well; try to find one using the following link:

Hi guys I have a low GPA
cGPA2.88 & sGPA2.67
MCAT 510
2,000+ hours of shadowing plus volunteer work
Any luck with my stats?

Hi guys I have a low GPA
cGPA2.88 & sGPA2.67
MCAT 510
2,000+ hours of shadowing plus volunteer work
Any luck with my stats?

Your GPAs are lower than accepted, MCAT is higher than accepted, so you have a chance.
Before you start applying, make sure this is what you want to do, so shadow a few DPMs.
You can also do an SMP and target DO programs.

Hi guys I have a low GPA
cGPA2.88 & sGPA2.67
MCAT 510
What dexter said. Getting in isn't the problem. You'll get in somewhere.

Staying in and knowing that your specialty is locked in from day 1. That's what you need to focus on. Don't do it just because you'll be a doctor. Research all of it first.

Your GPAs are lower than accepted, MCAT is higher than accepted, so you have a chance.
Before you start applying, make sure this is what you want to do, so shadow a few DPMs.
You can also do an SMP and target DO programs.
I have shadowed a DPM about 100 hours for 6 months. I want to gear towards sports medicine focusing ankle and lower extremity injuries and rehab. I’m not sure how SMP work are they masters program?

What dexter said. Getting in isn't the problem. You'll get in somewhere.

Staying in and knowing that your specialty is locked in from day 1. That's what you need to focus on. Don't do it just because you'll be a doctor. Research all of it first.
Sports medicine is my passion, that’s what pushed me towards the medical field. Shadowing my DPM opened my eyes and made my love sports medicine even more. I’m not too concerned about being locked into the speciality of poditory. Initially I wanted to go into orthopedics but given my grades my DPM told me about poditory school.

Good day magnificent people! Would a DPM student or someone with a better understanding of the admission process/previous stats be able to tell me what MCAT score i should aim for, with the following stats?

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 3.01

Unfortunately, my second year grades were not the greatest due to having a major surgery, but i am hoping that i can do well on the MCAT to offset that. Also, i am a Canadian applicant and to my understanding that should not be an issue in terms of needing to be more competitive?

Cheers

Good day magnificent people! Would a DPM student or someone with a better understanding of the admission process/previous stats be able to tell me what MCAT score i should aim for, with the following stats?

Unfortunately, my second year grades were not the greatest due to having a major surgery, but i am hoping that i can do well on the MCAT to offset that. Also, i am a Canadian applicant and to my understanding that should not be an issue in terms of needing to be more competitive?

Cheers
It's useless to do hypothetical. Wait till you get your MCAT.

Cheers
Aim at 500+

Cheers

I got in with a 501 and 2.9 ugpa so i think if you have 498+ youll get in somewhere

Cheers
Similar GPA to me, I got a 492 on the MCAT (also had surgery during this time--didn't study). Got in everywhere I applied. However, aim for 500+ to maximize chance as well as scholarship money.