This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caldude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got accepted into the following schools:
  • UC Berkeley
  • UC Santa Barbara (honors program)
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • UC Irvine (honors program)
  • UC Davis
  • University of Rochester

However, I can't seem to be able to determine which school(s) is best for pre-med. What are your thoughts/opinions? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara (honors program), UCLA, UCSD, UC Irvine (honors program), UC Davis, University of Rochester. ... which school(s) is best for pre-med.
Whichever one that has the most grade inflation, and will cost the least... provided that you'll also be happy there! You should be able to get the necessary clinical and research experience from all of these schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • UC Berkeley
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • UC Davis

However, I can't seem to be able to determine which school(s) is best for pre-med. What are your thoughts/opinions? Thank you
What's the yearly cost of each going to be?

@Moko @efle
All the UC's will cost the same (around 28k a year). But Rochester will be 50k

Wow a question that I can actually answer from experience! When I faced the same choice in high school, I ended up choosing UCSD, since it's less competitive than Berkeley but still a really good school with great research opportunities. It actually turned out to work pretty well for me, since I was able to stand out there and get a high GPA, while at Berkeley I probably would have been just average. I mean, granted, medical school admission comities take into account how competitive your undergraduate school is. But, I feel like having a 3.9 at UCSD is more impressive than getting a 3.7 at Berkeley. A lot of my premed friends who chose Irvine or UCSD over more competitive schools felt the same way.

At the end of the day, it's up to you! Go to what school cliques with you the best. If you thrive in super competitive environments, then Berkeley might make a good choice.

Berkeley is such a fun place to live! UCLA is also highly reputable. The others aren't very well known (if at all) outside of California and don't have the same reputation, so they won't be as good if you decide to pursue something other than medicine.

@Moko @efle
All the UC's will cost the same (around 28k a year). But Rochester will be 50k
Yeah take Rochester off the list for sure.

I'll link to thoughts I've posted elsewhere about considering academic competitiveness. Berkeley and UCLA will be the better option if you end up switching out of premed or are gunning for top private med schools and will enjoy the intense academics. If your heart is dead set on medicine though and you are worried about attrition, then your chances of surviving and being a standout will likely be higher at UCSD/Davis/SB. All these schools will have research and other EC opportunities!

Reactions: 1 user
@efle
Out of SD, Irvine, Davis and SB, which one would you recommend? (since they are all kind of similar)
Thank you so much for the help by the way! Much appreciated

@efle
Out of SD, Irvine, Davis and SB, which one would you recommend? (since they are all kind of similar)
Thank you so much for the help by the way! Much appreciated
Have you visited them? The impressions I got from going to high school in SoCal were that UCSD is the most academic of them and very STEM-oriented, followed by Davis and Irvine. This is backed up by my bit on most premedical universities, and talking to current UCSD students in a lab I spent a summer with. I've heard at UCSD in particular it can be tough to get into the necessary classes as an underclassman due to overcrowding, but I don't know if that's better/worse at other UCs. Santa Barbara was much more "party school" in reputation, still will have all the resources you need to succeed but you can expect more typical college social scene and better quality of life (less intense studying and premed density than UCSD).

I have friends at UCLA and Berkeley, and I'm so glad I decided not to go there. I had offers, but got a much better scholarship at a mid-tier UC, and frankly it's incredibly easy to get a 4.0 here (while studying for the MCAT, doing a lot of research, shadowing, volunteering, running a couple of my own clubs, playing and coaching a sport, you get the idea). Almost all of the classes here are a joke in terms of how much time you need to dedicate to get the A(+), and some of my incredibly smart and hardworking friends at UCLA and Berkeley are struggling just to get by. Obviously my school doesn't have quite the same name recognition nationwide, but just about any UC is recognizable enough if you're trying to go to med school in California, and the slight hit you take in terms of prestige is more than compensated for by the enormous GPA boost (or time saved).

In terms of the honors programs, I wouldn't let that sway your decision at all. I turned down the honors program here, and while it would be pretty nice to be in classes with faster paces, I'd rather spend the extra time doing non-school stuff at the end of the day. Plus, med schools don't seem to care at all about honors, so the only real benefit is surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals, but you can probably just wait for med school to achieve that goal, you'll be surrounded by brilliant people soon enough.

Wow a question that I can actually answer from experience! When I faced the same choice in high school, I ended up choosing UCSD, since it's less competitive than Berkeley but still a really good school with great research opportunities. It actually turned out to work pretty well for me, since I was able to stand out there and get a high GPA, while at Berkeley I probably would have been just average. I mean, granted, medical school admission comities take into account how competitive your undergraduate school is. But, I feel like having a 3.9 at UCSD is more impressive than getting a 3.7 at Berkeley. A lot of my premed friends who chose Irvine or UCSD over more competitive schools felt the same way.

At the end of the day, it's up to you! Go to what school cliques with you the best. If you thrive in super competitive environments, then Berkeley might make a good choice.

Problem is UCSD has like a 35% acceptance rate to medical school to Berkeley's 55%. It's a real thing to consider. Also Berkeley's name is international-- you say Berkeley and you're automatically assumed to be intelligent anywhere you go. UCSD has name factor but not as good as Berkeley's, so like as many have said, since most premeds do indeed switch out of the premed path, choosing the top school should be considered.

Also I heard UCSD's nightlife is trash from like everyone lol what did you think of it or did you not go out much?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have friends at UCLA and Berkeley, and I'm so glad I decided not to go there. I had offers, but got a much better scholarship at a mid-tier UC, and frankly it's incredibly easy to get a 4.0 here (while studying for the MCAT, doing a lot of research, shadowing, volunteering, running a couple of my own clubs, playing and coaching a sport, you get the idea). Almost all of the classes here are a joke in terms of how much time you need to dedicate to get the A(+), and some of my incredibly smart and hardworking friends at UCLA and Berkeley are struggling just to get by. Obviously my school doesn't have quite the same name recognition nationwide, but just about any UC is recognizable enough if you're trying to go to med school in California, and the slight hit you take in terms of prestige is more than compensated for by the enormous GPA boost (or time saved).
Just want to point out for OP that all of these schools have roughly the same grading scale. How "easy" one school is from another will depend heavily on your own personal strengths as a student. For example, if one is average relative to the student body at Irvine than I would caution that individual from assuming it will all be smooth sailing at UCI.

@efle I also got into Boston University and Georgia tech but they are more expensive than all other UCs. Do you think I should consider them or not?

@walloobi Honor programs also give you priority to choose classes first (which might be important in a big university) and more personal advising though

@efle I also got into Boston University and Georgia tech but they are more expensive than all other UCs. Do you think I should consider them or not?
I would not pay extra for them over your UC options. You have similar and better options for cheaper in your range of UC accepts.

@walloobi Honor programs also give you priority to choose classes first (which might be important in a big university) and more personal advising though
Honors often also helps students get connected to research + smaller classes to better know profs

@clippers50fan Do med schools care that much about undergraduate school prestige and name though?
The AAMC survey here shows "selectivity of undergrad" as a high importance academic factor for private med schools. If you survive premed name helps, but it's harder to survive. Eg a 3.8 at Berkeley > a 3.8 at Santa Barbara...but a 3.8 at Santa Barbara >> low 3's from Berkeley.

I would not pay extra for them over your UC options. You have similar and better options for cheaper in your range of UC accepts.

Honors often also helps students get connected to research + smaller classes to better know profs

The AAMC survey here shows "selectivity of undergrad" as a high importance academic factor for private med schools. If you survive premed name helps, but it's harder to survive. Eg a 3.8 at Berkeley > a 3.8 at Santa Barbara...but a 3.8 at Santa Barbara >> low 3's from Berkeley.
Good point, those factors are actually very valuable. I guess I didn't consider them too much because I already locked down a research gig before transferring, and only needed 1 more LOR since I already had a few great ones. Honors could actually be a great idea as long as OP can maintain a solid GPA in the more difficult classes.

Problem is UCSD has like a 35% acceptance rate to medical school to Berkeley's 55%.

Yah that is definitely something to think about. My best guess as to why that is would be that pretty much everyone and their mother at UCSD are premeds, including some students whose GPA's and MCAT scores aren't that competitive, so a lot of people apply even if they don't really have a great shot.

Also I heard UCSD's nightlife is trash from like everyone lol what did you think of it or did you not go out much?

mmm that's a hard one. This place is definitely no party school, and you can't just walk into parties and expect to be welcomed. It's one of those places where if you know people, then you'll have a good time. There's also the Greek system, and even though we don't have official frat/sorority housing you can still have fun there. And once you hit 21, our bar and downtown scene is pretty fun (but not the best I'll admit). If you're the type of person who wants to go out multiple times a week and rage, then yah I'd choose another school over UCSD. But, if you're like me who thinks going out once a week is more than enough, then UCSD works!

Problem is UCSD has like a 35% acceptance rate to medical school to Berkeley's 55%. It's a real thing to consider. Also Berkeley's name is international-- you say Berkeley and you're automatically assumed to be intelligent anywhere you go. UCSD has name factor but not as good as Berkeley's, so like as many have said, since most premeds do indeed switch out of the premed path, choosing the top school should be considered.

More rigorous weeding = Higher acceptance rate of those who make it all the way through

• UC Berkeley
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • UC Daviss
  • UC Berkeley
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • UC Davis

Thank you

How does Tufts university stand to above list for premed opportunities and experience (apart from cost) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.