WVU vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eastern Virginia Medical school or West Virginia University

• Total voters

myocardial_Infarction

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would really love some input on my decision-making process. I am currently a Virginia resident who is accepted at EVMS and WVU. WVU has offered me a 20k/year scholarship that would essentially offset the OOS cost associated with attending the school. I estimate to graduate with around 240K in loans if I attend this school. EVMS has yet to send out their financial aid packages--probably will not receive them until AFTER the April 30th deadline--but assuming I receive no scholarships, I would graduate with around 235k in loans. I think the financial cost is pretty negligible.
Both schools have excellent level 1 trauma center teaching hospitals right next to the school and emphasize ultrasound into their curriculum. WVU uses a systems based approach and EVMS is actually changing their curriculum coincidentally this year (so we would be the guinea pig class) to a systems based approach as well.
Obviously Morgantown and Norfolk are two very different cities but I dont think I would mind living in either. The overall atmosphere I gather at both schools is very friendly. What other things should I factor into my decision and how do you think going to a school that is implementing a new curriculum will affect the incoming c/o 2020 class?

Members don't see this ad.

Is one of these P/F and the other ABCDF? That would be a dealbreaker for me.

I was at the EVMS Preview this weekend and can vouch for the atmosphere of the city and people as a key factor for my decision. Speaking with students here, the general consensus was that medical school is going to suck regardless, however it is what you do in your off time, with your fellow students or yourself, that makes an immense difference. The sense of camaraderie amongst the class was strong as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also at preview weekend for each school. I agree that the atmosphere at EVMS in incredible! However, so is WVU. WVU has their exams every three weeks on Friday(in order for the students to have their weekends off) and they host block parties and what not. They also have a google drive and M2s go out of their way to help. I agree that is an important factor but they are very similar in my mind. As for the grading, EVMS is fail, pass, high pass, and honors. WVU is pass, fail, and honors (with honors being the top 15%).

I really liked EVMS when I interviewed there personally. I liked that there's a lot to do in Norfolk and VA Beach, and personally I would hate to live in West Virginia. For me, this decision would come down to location.

I'm on both their waitlists so whatever you decide, do it soon please!!!

Reactions: 1 users