2009-2010 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...in your case, I am pretty sure you will be accepted from UF right after your interview - or on Oct. 15th. That's assuming you can give a decent interview, because your stats are too succulent for UF to resist.

Lol that's really nice of you to say but I mostly have numbers going for me...I'm severely lacking in volunteering :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

how's it looking for interviews guys? How many in-staters with interviews???

Lol that's really nice of you to say but I mostly have numbers going for me...I'm severely lacking in volunteering :confused:

You don't need to worry, you're an URM too! I remember talking with the admissions office people about a month and half ago to check up on my last year's application, and the guy lamented about not having enough URM's in last year's class. It was kinda awkward 'cause there were 3 of us checking on our status and all of us were Asians, so we were all like "wtf does that have to do with us?"

The good news for us is that you'll almost certainly get into some of the better schools on your list, and they'll most likely give you a lot of scholarship, so you wouldn't take one of our spots :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to worry, you're an URM too! I remember talking with the admissions office people about a month and half ago to check up on my last year's application, and the guy lamented about not having enough URM's in last year's class. It was kinda awkward 'cause there were 3 of us checking on our status and all of us were Asians, so we were all like "wtf does that have to do with us?"

The good news for us is that you'll almost certainly get into some of the better schools on your list, and they'll most likely give you a lot of scholarship, so you wouldn't take one of our spots :D

I didnt think Asians were URM?

i got confused by your post

Ahh sorry. What I was trying to say is that there were three of us Asians fretting over our impending rejection there, and the guy says something like "we wish we had more URMs." None of us knew what to say to that and we were probably all wondering "what the heck does that have to do with us?"

I didnt think Asians were URM?

Asians are not URM. His post was implying that as asians, they felt that the admissions staff comment about URMs was unhelpful to them.

Asians are not URM. His post was implying that as asians, they felt that the admissions staff comment about URMs was unhelpful to them.
yeah i got it now

Anyone complete after 8/21 have an invite for interview yet?

Things always slow in the South? Guess I should know...I've been here forever.

Things always slow in the South? Guess I should know...I've been here forever.

At least in Florida, it seems. UCF just began, FIU has started for a while, UF seems to be in a lull, but FSU, USF, and Miami haven't started yet, at least not for regular admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF is definitely interviewing applicants already and has been for some time. My PI is on the admissions committee and she always brings her applicants up to the lab to show them around, so I've seen a few of the applicants. Evidently they meet every Monday to discuss the applicants they've interviewed over the past week.

I interviewed on Friday. They said we were the first group for the year. I really enjoyed the interview day. The students and faculty were all very friendly, and the campus/hospital were fantastic. UF is definitely now my top choice.

I interviewed on Friday. They said we were the first group for the year. I really enjoyed the interview day. The students and faculty were all very friendly, and the campus/hospital were fantastic. UF is definitely now my top choice.

I saw 2 applicants Friday, but someone from the lab told me they had begun a while back.

I was there Friday too. It was their first day.

Dr. Zaius did you get a thank you email today?

______, thank you for interviewing with us on September 11, 2009! We enjoyed meeting you!

I will send you notification of the Committee's decision via e-mail on October 16, 2009.

Take care!

Sincerely,
Denise Chichester
University of Florida College of Medicine

Sounds pretty impersonal.. hmm

I was there Friday too. It was their first day.

Dr. Zaius did you get a thank you email today?

______, thank you for interviewing with us on September 11, 2009! We enjoyed meeting you!

I will send you notification of the Committee's decision via e-mail on October 16, 2009.

Take care!

Sincerely,
Denise Chichester
University of Florida College of Medicine

Sounds pretty impersonal.. hmm

Yea, I got one. She said they'd be sending them out this week. I guess now all we can do is wait until October 16.

Are you sending thank you cards to your interviewers? They put their address on the bottom of directions sheet...I feel like it's a hint.

Yea, I got one. She said they'd be sending them out this week. I guess now all we can do is wait until October 16.

Are you sending thank you cards to your interviewers? They put their address on the bottom of directions sheet...I feel like it's a hint.

Yea, I decided to send them. I remember reading somewhere in some Interview tips packet that we should.

BTW I was impressed by UF too. I liked the med students a lot, they all seem committed (they don't party every night) and down to earth.

Yea, I decided to send them. I remember reading somewhere in some Interview tips packet that we should.

BTW I was impressed by UF too. I liked the med students a lot, they all seem committed (they don't party every night) and down to earth.

Stats? MCAT, cumulative GPA, sGPA?

So my AMCAS was verified last Monday and I received secondaries from every other school but UF, even one that also supposedly screens pre-secondary. Any of you remember how long it took to get your secondaries post-AMCAS verification?

Also I think I saw someone on this thread said they received an email saying they were being declined to fill out a secondary. Should I stop sweating it until I get that email?

So my AMCAS was verified last Monday and I received secondaries from every other school but UF, even one that also supposedly screens pre-secondary. Any of you remember how long it took to get your secondaries post-AMCAS verification?

Also I think I saw someone on this thread said they received an email saying they were being declined to fill out a secondary. Should I stop sweating it until I get that email?

I think they screen by stats, so as long as your stats aren't abysmal, you should receive one. I got mine a couple days after I submitted, but they might vary a bit.

I think they screen by stats, so as long as your stats aren't abysmal, you should receive one. I got mine a couple days after I submitted, but they might vary a bit.

Thanks for the response. If I'm being rejected, I'd kind of like to get a "you suck" email so I don't have to keep wondering. Anybody else know if they send out those?

Last edited:

Any word from UF yet??

Any word from UF yet??

I haven't heard any...seriously, what kind of applicants does UF look for? I have no idea. Have you checked with the admissions office? I'm thinking about going there tomorrow to ask them some questions.

I haven't heard any...seriously, what kind of applicants does UF look for? I have no idea. Have you checked with the admissions office? I'm thinking about going there tomorrow to ask them some questions.

A member of the adcom told me their process is "more of an art."

And lol cause I am planning to go by there tomorrow too! If someone winks at you, you'll know it's me! ;)

You guys are stressing me out. Chillax and be patient. They'll holla when you least expect it. They can't invite everyone at once.

You guys are stressing me out. Chillax and be patient. They'll holla when you least expect it. They can't invite everyone at once.
Sound advice. They hit me up yesterday while I was b*tching about the fact they hadn't hit me up.

:xf:

A member of the adcom told me their process is "more of an art."

And lol cause I am planning to go by there tomorrow too! If someone winks at you, you'll know it's me! ;)

Apparently UF seeks a specific type of student.

I always thought UF was very focused on numbers, but
I knew someone with a 3.9 and MCAT in the range of 36-40 who was never offered an interview.

So, who's gonna be interviewing with me this Friday (9/25)? Anybody?

I'll be up at FSU doing the same thing!

Maybe if I start whining about how I haven't heard from UF yet I'll get something. ;) I WANT MY INTERVIEW NOW... I DEMAND IT... I'M ENTITLED TO ONE! haha

Apparently UF seeks a specific type of student.

I always thought UF was very focused on numbers, but
I knew someone with a 3.9 and MCAT in the range of 36-40 who was never offered an interview.

They are definitely looking for something specific, I can't say what though cause I just don't know what it is.

Last edited:
I'll be up at FSU doing the same thing!

Maybe if I start whining about how I haven't heard from UF yet I'll get something. ;) I WANT MY INTERVIEW NOW... I DEMAND IT... I'M ENTITLED TO ONE! haha

lol.

And I just feel like nobody knows what UF is looking for. I'm writing my essay for my secondary now and I feel like I'm trying to put my best foot forward, cause that's all I can do, but I'm still shooting in the dark....

lol.

And I just feel like nobody knows what UF is looking for. I'm writing my essay for my secondary now and I feel like I'm trying to put my best foot forward, cause that's all I can do, but I'm still shooting in the dark....

I wrote about the pivotal life experiences that make me unique. I wrote it kind of like an autobiography, and I wrote it so that they could really get a feel for who I am. I guess they liked it enough to interview me as OOS :)

I wrote about the pivotal life experiences that make me unique. I wrote it kind of like an autobiography, and I wrote it so that they could really get a feel for who I am. I guess they liked it enough to interview me as OOS :)

Why would you apply to UF OOS out of curiousity? It's heavily in-state.

I applied from oos too. I am originally from florida and have family there still. Plus U of Florida is a great school. Gainesville is nice, better than old falling apart cities in northeast. I am partial to Florida though. I only applied south of Maryland and, of the choices in that direction, U of Florida is great choice.

Why would you apply to UF OOS out of curiousity? It's heavily in-state.

I'm originally from Florida and have tons of family in and around Gainesville. I've always wanted to make my way back to the state. I applied to UF as a long shot based on my OOS status. I got lucky I suppose.

anything going on with interviews?

i just received one but am wary about mentioning it since no one else is posting. i find that strange....

i just received one but am wary about mentioning it since no one else is posting. i find that strange....

All's quiet on the UF front for me - although I've already interviewed elsewhere and got some more coming up... not too sure what they're looking for here.

Congrats! Knock 'em dead!

I just finished my secondary. My essay is really short... I know there is such a thing as short and sweet, but I'm wary. But I got to submit it already. Ehhh...

I dont even know where to start for the secondary because my primary personal statement consisted of most of the things that I want to put in this essay.
is it a bad idea to mention those things again?

Congrats! Knock 'em dead!

I just finished my secondary. My essay is really short... I know there is such a thing as short and sweet, but I'm wary. But I got to submit it already. Ehhh...

Eh, don't think it matters too much, but as a reapplicant, I wanted to use any opportunity possible to show that I've improved so I wrote fairly long ones.

I dont even know where to start for the secondary because my primary personal statement consisted of most of the things that I want to put in this essay.
is it a bad idea to mention those things again?

It is, they don't want to read repeat info. You need to write about some other stuff or switch the focus a bit.

got an invite 9/29. Submitted around 8/20 and never got a complete email, just an invite 2 days ago.

anyone going to be interviewing tomorrow? i am hoping to be... but the dry cleaners in boston lost my suit :confused: hopefully they find it for me before i fly out today...lmao

For those who have interviewed, have you heard anything yet? Like "you're a very strong candidate" or something along those lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.