2009-2010 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone going to be interviewing tomorrow? i am hoping to be... but the dry cleaners in boston lost my suit :confused: hopefully they find it for me before i fly out today...lmao

Oh wow. How'd you like UF?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow. How'd you like UF?

it was definitely not what i was expecting. when i asked the students how they liked it, i got some really mixed answers (seems there is a fair bit of competitiveness). but i ended up really enjoying the tour. i am kind of confused by my UF experience lol

and by the way, the dry cleaners found my suit in time. :laugh:

For those who have interviewed, have you heard anything yet? Like "you're a very strong candidate" or something along those lines?

UF interviews around 340 and accepts 240, so for the entire interview day we kept hearing things like 'you are all extremely strong candidates' and 'many if not all of you are going to be accepted.'

Members don't see this ad :)
UF interviews around 340 and accepts 240, so for the entire interview day we kept hearing things like 'you are all extremely strong candidates' and 'many if not all of you are going to be accepted.'

I heard about the same thing from a reliable source who basically said that since I got an interview at UF, I will probably be accepted. That's not to say that I think I will be or anything of the sort. I would hate to be disappointed. I'll go to my interview knowing that they like me so far; just don't eff it up.

So 240/340 means a 70% acceptance out of interview. that makes me happy/nervous.

So 240/340 means a 70% acceptance out of interview. that makes me happy/nervous.

Cause if there's one thing more disappointing than getting a post-secondary rejection, it's being in the 30% post-interview rejection group :)

it was definitely not what i was expecting. when i asked the students how they liked it, i got some really mixed answers (seems there is a fair bit of competitiveness). but i ended up really enjoying the tour. i am kind of confused by my UF experience lol

I've heard the same types of responses. I think the A,B,C,D,F + ranked system may foster that competitive environment. It's still an interesting school with very cool people (I met a lot of second years as a standardized patient).

I heard about the same thing from a reliable source who basically said that since I got an interview at UF, I will probably be accepted. That's not to say that I think I will be or anything of the sort. I would hate to be disappointed. I'll go to my interview knowing that they like me so far; just don't eff it up.

I interviewed there and heard the same thing. I loved the school! Definitely a top choice. They did, however, say that they put most of the interviewees on hold at first and re-review their applications in December, January and March.

Also, they said that of the 30% that they didn't accept, they didn't necessary reject them because many of them withdrew their applications before they could (i.e. they got into another school that they were more interested in).

Haha this is funny. I remember this feeling last year...I was so optimistic once I had my UF interview. It was definitely a blow never getting off the wait-list, but I think most of you guys should be okay. The UF wait-list usually moves pretty well, but I think last year was just a bad year for the wait-list. Good luck!

Yea, they go by a strict curve. So basically, it doesn't matter how well you learn the material, it only matters how well you learn the material compared to your classmate. Also, it practically ensures that somebody WILL fail. It's in stark contrast to some other schools, like OSU, which said something like "even the last in our class gets a MD."

Cause if there's one thing more disappointing than getting a post-secondary rejection, it's being in the 30% post-interview rejection group :)

Yea, like me last year :mad: Seriously, I don't know WTF they're looking for. I sent them a million updates/LOI's last year, too, so they had the same profile that's getting me double digit interviews this year. In fact, a lot of my secondary essays this year were taken from my updates to UF last year. Maybe they just don't think that my nature is competitive enough for them?

Yea, like me last year :mad: Seriously, I don't know WTF they're looking for. I sent them a million updates/LOI's last year, too, so they had the same profile that's getting me double digit interviews this year. In fact, a lot of my secondary essays this year were taken from my updates to UF last year. Maybe they just don't think that my nature is competitive enough for them?

Haha, same. I've already sent another update to UF. I think they will keep us on hold until they have reviewed more first-time applicants. It might just be because we're re-applicants and they want to see some other people before giving out interviews to re-apps.

Haha, same. I've already sent another update to UF. I think they will keep us on hold until they have reviewed more first-time applicants. It might just be because we're re-applicants and they want to see some other people before giving out interviews to re-apps.

IDK...SLU and Cincy certainly didn't seem that way. I don't know what's going on with UF. I think I'm gonna go check with their office again tomorrow or Friday.

IDK...SLU and Cincy certainly didn't seem that way. I don't know what's going on with UF. I think I'm gonna go check with their office again tomorrow or Friday.

I'm sick and tired of going to that office. I feel like an idiot every time I do.

Yep this is the only FL school i didn't bother to apply to. I dont know but this school just does not appeal to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sick and tired of going to that office. I feel like an idiot every time I do.

The office people are all really nice, but the problem is that they're not allowed to tell us jack. I think that's the most annoying thing, I have no idea what they want, so I wouldn't even know how to begin to improve.

When I asked them for a review last year, they told me to wait 'till 8/10 when they matriculate. So I ask them again after 8/10, and they tell me since I've already reapplied, that they won't give me a review. I was like WTF, why didn't you tell me that earlier? Heck, USF's dean gave me a review before I was rejected. Cincy's dean had no problem listing all the areas I can improve on in my application and interviews. Good luck reaching UF's dean, I've never been able to get past the office ladies.

Is there a website to check the UF application status? This is the only school where I can't find one.

The office people are all really nice, but the problem is that they're not allowed to tell us jack. I think that's the most annoying thing, I have no idea what they want, so I wouldn't even know how to begin to improve.

When I asked them for a review last year, they told me to wait 'till 8/10 when they matriculate. So I ask them again after 8/10, and they tell me since I've already reapplied, that they won't give me a review. I was like WTF, why didn't you tell me that earlier? Heck, USF's dean gave me a review before I was rejected. Cincy's dean had no problem listing all the areas I can improve on in my application and interviews. Good luck reaching UF's dean, I've never been able to get past the office ladies.

I went and talked to them today. She said that based on past years, re-applicants tend to get interview invites later in the cycle. And yes, UF's admissions policies are pretty frustrating. Many other schools were happy to talk to me about what could be improved.

I sent in my secondary about three weeks ago... and no conformation email! How long did it take for you guys to get that email? I think i will call next week... :(

i sent in my secondary to UF mid-september, but only got complete 10/9 cuz my committee letter took so long to get prepared. do you guys think this is too late? my numbers are slightly above those of UF's averages.

i sent in my secondary to UF mid-september, but only got complete 10/9 cuz my committee letter took so long to get prepared. do you guys think this is too late? my numbers are slightly above those of UF's averages.

UF heavily utilizes their waitlist so they tend to put a lot of kids who interview early 'on hold' (to give people who interview in feb 'the same' shot at getting in).

maybe you should change your username to 'gogators.' they take gator pride as seriously as numbers at UF :D

UF heavily utilizes their waitlist so they tend to put a lot of kids who interview early 'on hold' (to give people who interview in feb 'the same' shot at getting in).

maybe you should change your username to 'gogators.' they take gator pride as seriously as numbers at UF :D

They definitely accept a ton of people who didn't go to UF for undergrad (you can tell from the captions below the pictures of every member of the current class on the wall at the entrance of the admissions office). However, I would recommend never insulting the following: Florida Football, Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer, Florida Basketball, and Billy Donovan. I don't know how anyone could really show true love for the Gators without having attended the school, lol.

They don't care about the time of submission at all. As jla explained, they put most who they interview on hold, and they don't fill their classes until the last interviews are finished. You could submit on 12/24 and you'll have the same chances as someone who submitted in July.

They don't care about the time of submission at all. As jla explained, they put most who they interview on hold, and they don't fill their classes until the last interviews are finished. You could submit on 12/24 and you'll have the same chances as someone who submitted in July.
If that is the case then I will try to apply there again depending how the rest of the Florida schools treat me

Last edited:
They definitely accept a ton of people who didn't go to UF for undergrad (you can tell from the captions below the pictures of every member of the current class on the wall at the entrance of the admissions office). However, I would recommend never insulting the following: Florida Football, Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer, Florida Basketball, and Billy Donovan. I don't know how anyone could really show true love for the Gators without having attended the school, lol.

Disclaimer: I admit UF is a great school with the #1 rated fb team right now, and truly have the highest respect for all the members on this forum... there i said it

Now... sorry this isnt the place for this, but Florida basketball- had merely 2 years of fame then sinked to the craphole its at now... Billy donovan- once praised and almost made an intelligent decision to coach the magic, maybe coaching them in the NBA finals, then returned to coach a mediocre team.
Tim Tebow- got nothing bad to say, he really is the greatest and and amazing person, deserved the heisman last year, and deserves it this year, by far the ONLY good thing out of UF sports.
Urban meyer- great coach, was once very charismatic and amiable with most head coaches, now hated by most of the ncaa for the arrogant attitude gained by becoming a gator and finally UF FBALL= OVERRATED

Sorry for those offended, but i really have nothing better to do right now

Finally, I have a very reliable source that told me yesterday that a new batch of invites will be sent out tomorrow..

one love

Disclaimer: I admit UF is a great school with the #1 rated fb team right now, and truly have the highest respect for all the members on this forum... there i said it

Now... sorry this isnt the place for this, but Florida basketball- had merely 2 years of fame then sinked to the craphole its at now... Billy donovan- once praised and almost made an intelligent decision to coach the magic, maybe coaching them in the NBA finals, then returned to coach a mediocre team.
Tim Tebow- got nothing bad to say, he really is the greatest and and amazing person, deserved the heisman last year, and deserves it this year, by far the ONLY good thing out of UF sports.
Urban meyer- great coach, was once very charismatic and amiable with most head coaches, now hated by most of the ncaa for the arrogant attitude gained by becoming a gator and finally UF FBALL= OVERRATED

Finally, I have a very reliable source that told me yesterday that a new batch of invites will be sent out tomorrow..

one love

What's your point

one love

How's UF FB overrated? We've won 2 of the last 3 NCs and have a good shot at winning our 4th NC of the past 15 years! How exactly does that equate to being overrated? Meyer's arrogant attitude? Please point to some specific example of that, or do you just assume that he's arrogant because he's on top and isn't self-deprecating?

As for Bball, I think I can speak for most students at UF that we really don't care that much. It's nice that we had a couple trophies, but Football still reigns supreme in Gville.

How's UF FB overrated? We've won 2 of the last 3 NCs and have a good shot at winning our 4th NC of the past 15 years! How exactly does that equate to being overrated? Meyer's arrogant attitude? Please point to some specific example of that, or do you just assume that he's arrogant because he's on top and isn't self-deprecating?

As for Bball, I think I can speak for most students at UF that we really don't care that much. It's nice that we had a couple trophies, but Football still reigns supreme in Gville.

Slightly off topic, but our defense won us the game against LSU last night. The offense, on the other hand, was very sub-par.

one love

UF also held 4th-ranked LSU from scoring a touchdown during the entire game. That's a pretty significant accomplishment.

Slightly off topic, but our defense won us the game against LSU last night. The offense, on the other hand, was very sub-par.

Our offense was pretty good, except the redzone offense. We really left a lot of points on the field with the missed chipshot FG and the asinine 4th down call.

Our offense was pretty good, except the redzone offense. We really left a lot of points on the field with the missed chipshot FG and the asinine 4th down call.

Tebow seemed to be off his game too with his slightly underthrown balls (one resulting in a botched nearly guaranteed touchdown as well as an interception in the red zone). I can't fault him though, he's done a lot for Florida football.

since we havent gotten yelled at for doing this in med forum:

You guys have way more than a good shot of winning ur 4th NC, for the same reason that i believe you guys are overrated- the ease of your schedule- you guys do play SEC teams, but ur non-conference sched is a joke including FSU (my pride and joy). As for meyer, im not just talking like another idiot cfb fan, if you watch post-game talks with schools you guys play, numerous coaches have publicly critizised meyer- randy shannon and mark richt off the top of my head- not to mention the whole thing with lane kiffin- ya kiffin started it, but he carried it on regardless, and brought it back up after the game was done.

And ya the bball comment you made sounds like every other gator fan ive talked too, "OH we dont care that we suck now, but we only cared when we were good" seriously? at least fess up that UF and donovan screwed up after they lost their 3 stars... i'm more than able to admit the noles suck, theyhve been overrated just for the past 7 or 8 years, and bowden may be holding us back right now, but he got us to glory and he decides the end of his legacy after that, not us.

again no disrespect to u guys, just school pride!

ps, im a huge tebow fan, u gotta love him, and i was down the throat of all the peice of crap haters that were happy with his concussion

UF also held 4th-ranked LSU from scoring a touchdown during the entire game. That's a pretty significant accomplishment.

That was great. Although, the only touchdown scored was due to an OFF interference by riley cooper, i wasnt complaining.. if you can get away with that- more power- all part of the game.

I just got their supplemental information thing where you put residency information etc. So where it asks what you're planning on doing between graduation and matriculation, did anyone leave it blank? I honestly don't know if I'll be traveling, relaxing at home with my parents, volunteering, etc. Would anyone suggest putting "Undecided"? Nothing it set in stone yet, it's not even 2010 yet so can I really be expected to know what I'll be doing in the summer?

I just got their supplemental information thing where you put residency information etc. So where it asks what you're planning on doing between graduation and matriculation, did anyone leave it blank? I honestly don't know if I'll be traveling, relaxing at home with my parents, volunteering, etc. Would anyone suggest putting "Undecided"? Nothing it set in stone yet, it's not even 2010 yet so can I really be expected to know what I'll be doing in the summer?

Put some options in there - don't just leave it blank like a bum.

Put some options in there - don't just leave it blank like a bum.

Honestly, bumming it up is my option of choice right now. If I travel anywhere, it'll most likely be to Jamaica to visit family I haven't seen in years. Maybe I should put "possibly travel" because I don't want anything to sound like it's a definite. Not that it should even matter that much, anyways. Does anyone know why they ask that?

Honestly, bumming it up is my option of choice right now. If I travel anywhere, it'll most likely be to Jamaica to visit family I haven't seen in years. Maybe I should put "possibly travel" because I don't want anything to sound like it's a definite. Not that it should even matter that much, anyways. Does anyone know why they ask that?

Don't over think it now. It's going to be people that are reading this, and they will understand the uncertain nature of the future.

I think "possibly traveling" sounds fine, maybe be more specific about where you might travel, and maybe also mention what kind of volunteer you might want to participate in if not traveling. You don't have to make it sound concrete, but at least make it sound like you've thought about it.

Yes, they want to know that you're not bumming it up this year....

Has anyone been accepted yet? It's October 15th, I am hoping to hear from them, but I guess I should just relax.

Accepted!!!!! I can't believe. Dreams really do come true. Now it's time to cancel the rest of my interviews. Where do I line up for the mandatory Tebow jersey?

"On hold" but trying to remain optimistic. They did tell us the majority of interviewees will receive this status. Disappointed though.:rolleyes::xf:

"On hold" but trying to remain optimistic. They did tell us the majority of interviewees will receive this status. Disappointed though.:rolleyes::xf:

Yea, out of my group of 17 last year, only 3 got in right off the bat. So don't get too discouraged, they do re-review your files every couple of months. They do like update letters, although it didn't work for me last cycle....

Yea, out of my group of 17 last year, only 3 got in right off the bat. So don't get too discouraged, they do re-review your files every couple of months. They do like update letters, although it didn't work for me last cycle....

Amen to that. I think they don't care whatsoever about updates despite what they say.

Out of curiosity, did you ask the 16 other members about their statuses? How did you find this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.