2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if i remember correctly from the webinar or something, oakland is a public school, but the med school is funded privately so there is no instate favoring... anyone clarify this?

if i remember correctly from the webinar or something, oakland is a public school, but the med school is funded privately so there is no instate favoring... anyone clarify this?

Yes, Oakland is a public university, but the medical school is a private partnership with Beaumont Hospital. Therefore it will be a private med school - thus the $43,000 tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
so in terms of state preference it shouldnt have any right?

So Oakland University is a private school, right?

I'm just really confused because wikipedia says it is public...

Oakland University is a public school . . . but William Beaumont School of Medicine is a private medical school. The reason it's being done this way is because they are a new medical school and they're going to go a couple of years before getting state funding (I heard they want to graduate their first class before they do, but that's just hearsay).

On the OUWBSOM website, they want a mcat score of 26 or higher, does that mean they will automatically reject anything below a 26? I have a 25, I know that's low but I can't believe they'd just reject it without any thought...specially since they are a new school.

here's the link if you're curious:

http://www.oakland.edu/medicine/admissions/requirements

thanks.

so in terms of state preference it shouldnt have any right?

Technically no, they shouldn't be giving preference to in-state applicants. However, during the applicant visit day, the admissions dean said they were going to try to give all Michigan applicants who meet the minimum requirements an interview - which seems like an advantage to me.

Who is planning on watching the oakland webinar today from 2-3pm EST? I am hoping to, but I am at work -- so I can just listen in. I need others to ask questions.

I'll be watching. Post your questions here and I can ask for you, if you'd like.

Who is planning on watching the oakland webinar today from 2-3pm EST? I am hoping to, but I am at work -- so I can just listen in. I need others to ask questions.

do you have the url to that?

i'm not sure, but i might be. what's your question? if i watch i'll try to get the answer

The link:http://www.oakland.edu/medicine/webinars

No real questions per se -- I just don't want to be the only one listening in and when he asks if there is questions, feeling like I need to ask one. Who knows... I might get more involved in the webinar than I plan (which will be bad for my undergrad mentee who needs me to finish some work for her poster presentation asap)

ugh, the audio of that webinar bugged out on my during the Q/A. Did anyone catch what percentage of applicants will get an interview? And any other interesting questions after that.... thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh, the audio of that webinar bugged out on my during the Q/A. Did anyone catch what percentage of applicants will get an interview? And any other interesting questions after that.... thanks.

300 interviews for 50 spots.

supplemental app will be out in a week or two!! two essays ... either 400 words or 400 characters, my connection to the webinar was bad sorry lol

On the OUWBSOM website, they want a mcat score of 26 or higher, does that mean they will automatically reject anything below a 26? I have a 25, I know that's low but I can't believe they'd just reject it without any thought...specially since they are a new school.

here's the link if you're curious:

http://www.oakland.edu/medicine/admissions/requirements

thanks.

It don't think they will reject you based on that. The lady who spoke during the webinar seemed SO nice and really emphasized wanting "leaders in medicine" and that there isn't one thing that will or won't get you into their schools. She said they choose 26 because history shows people who get a 26 on the MCAT have a 97% pass rate of the board exams - they need people who can pass the boards to become doctors. I really doubt that 1 point less drops the pass rate significanly enough where they wouldn't consider you.

Anyone else going to the Applicant Visit Day on Friday?

I just sent in my primary application to this school after hearing about it and doing a little research. I have to say, I find the idea of a charter class a intriguing and exciting. I decided to apply here because my MCAT is a 33R, and my gpa is a little lower, 3.29 (even lower after AMCAS, although I can't remember what it is). I feel like I might fit in a little better with my GPA at Oakland, and hopefully get solid USMLEs and residency

Hm, I wonder what I should wear on Friday to their Applicant Visit Day thing. Did anyone go to the last one (I'm assuming yes because it was full :) )? How formal did you dress?

So, going to the Applicant Visit Day was such a good idea. I had reservations about it before today, since it's so new and an article I read in the Detroit Free Press had me a little worried. But I am very excited about applying here now that I have more information! Here's some notes from today:

• They will have 50 students in their first incoming class, and add 25 to the incoming class each year until they have 125 as an incoming class.
  • When they were reviewed for accreditation, they were told that there were no weaknesses in the school/program, and that they had 6 strengths (they are listed on their website, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet).
  • Tuition is $42,760/year
  • They will not have a focus on primary care, research, etc. like other schools tend to have. Instead their focus is on creating physicians who will become leaders in medicine in the future.
  • Each student will have a capstone project that they work on throughout their time there. It will be reflective of their individual interests and goals (examples given were a student who wrote a book on how to learn palliative care, another student who was interested in AIDS and spent time in a hospital in Africa, setting up a free clinic, etc.)
  • Grading is honors/pass/fail for all 4 years (including rotations)
  • They really stress "student-centered learning" and a lot of the classes included team-based learning in small groups.
  • They are all about leadership, so I got the impression that they would not be focusing solely on GPA/MCAT like we all know so many schools do. They really want a well-rounded first class with students who want to be part of something new and help to develop the program and student groups and all that stuff.
  • The supplemental app will be released next week and have two ~400 word essays
  • Interview day will last from 8am-5pm, I believe it was a one-on-one interview with a staff member at OU in the morning, then lunch, tours, etc. and then the afternoon is spent at Beaumont-Royal Oak and you interview one-on-one with a physician there too.
  • Their rec center is amazing.
Hope this helps for anyone on the fence about OU. Before I had only applied because it was in state, but I was worried about them being a new school and all. But now I'm really excited about applying here, it seems like they really have their stuff together and they are all about seeing their students succeed.

So, going to the Applicant Visit Day was such a good idea. I had reservations about it before today, since it's so new and an article I read in the Detroit Free Press had me a little worried. But I am very excited about applying here now that I have more information! Here's some notes from today:

• They will have 50 students in their first incoming class, and add 25 to the incoming class each year until they have 125 as an incoming class.
  • When they were reviewed for accreditation, they were told that there were no weaknesses in the school/program, and that they had 6 strengths (they are listed on their website, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet).
  • Tuition is $42,760/year
  • They will not have a focus on primary care, research, etc. like other schools tend to have. Instead their focus is on creating physicians who will become leaders in medicine in the future.
  • Each student will have a capstone project that they work on throughout their time there. It will be reflective of their individual interests and goals (examples given were a student who wrote a book on how to learn palliative care, another student who was interested in AIDS and spent time in a hospital in Africa, setting up a free clinic, etc.)
  • Grading is honors/pass/fail for all 4 years (including rotations)
  • They really stress "student-centered learning" and a lot of the classes included team-based learning in small groups.
  • They are all about leadership, so I got the impression that they would not be focusing solely on GPA/MCAT like we all know so many schools do. They really want a well-rounded first class with students who want to be part of something new and help to develop the program and student groups and all that stuff.
  • The supplemental app will be released next week and have two ~400 word essays
  • Interview day will last from 8am-5pm, I believe it was a one-on-one interview with a staff member at OU in the morning, then lunch, tours, etc. and then the afternoon is spent at Beaumont-Royal Oak and you interview one-on-one with a physician there too.
  • Their rec center is amazing.
Hope this helps for anyone on the fence about OU. Before I had only applied because it was in state, but I was worried about them being a new school and all. But now I'm really excited about applying here, it seems like they really have their stuff together and they are all about seeing their students succeed.

Thanks so much for all of the info! I really wish I could have made one of the applicant days! This has made me really excited for this school, especially because it seems like they really have their stuff together and have a very defined purpose as an institution. It definitely alleviates any anxiety about applying to a new program.

What's the GPA/MCAT stat? Do they accept OOS?

They do accept OOS, although I feel like mostly IS students will apply. I could be wrong about that though, they didn't specifically say that or anything. As far as GPA/MCAT, they did not give a specific average they are looking for, they stated that they are stressing a holistic approach to admissions and looking at the entire applicants file. They are giving a secondary to every applicant, and then will comprehensively review each file (i.e. they don't look at GPA and MCAT and then toss the file if it doesn't meet a certain cut-off lol). I think the best things that will help applicants outside of GPA and MCAT is having community service and leadership, they really reallllllyyy stressed leadership in their presentation.

1. new school so no GPA/MCAT average, silly. On the website they stat they want students with over a 26 MCAT and 3.0 GPA (or maybe it's 3.2).
2. Yes they accept OOS. It's a private university.

Good job on summing it together! Sorry didnt recognize/meet up with you!
Though OU does seem to have their act together.

They do accept OOS, although I feel like mostly IS students will apply. I could be wrong about that though, they didn't specifically say that or anything. As far as GPA/MCAT, they did not give a specific average they are looking for, they stated that they are stressing a holistic approach to admissions and looking at the entire applicants file. They are giving a secondary to every applicant, and then will comprehensively review each file (i.e. they don't look at GPA and MCAT and then toss the file if it doesn't meet a certain cut-off lol). I think the best things that will help applicants outside of GPA and MCAT is having community service and leadership, they really reallllllyyy stressed leadership in their presentation.

See my post below... they said on Friday they would come out this week. It's only Tuesday :p

It's Thursday. Let's hope for tomorrow! :xf::laugh:

I heard it was essays, I wished it was a point and click application.

It's Thursday. Let's hope for tomorrow! :xf::laugh:

I heard it was essays, I wished it was a point and click application.

Two essays (see my post above), that's what they told us at the visit day.

Anyone else? I haven't.

got the secondary (oos)

In 400 words or fewer, please describe what contribution you will make to the learning environment and how that contribution supports the vision and mission of the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.

Select one of the following two topics and respond in 400 words or fewer.

Describe one or two experiences you have had in the last three years interacting with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Please include what both you and the other individual(s) gained from these experiences.

Describe a situation in which you could not solve a problem but had to learn to manage it.

Those essays aren't bad at all... I'm pretty sure I've written them already haha but...

where is mine! lol :D

I called admissions, I was worried that maybe they hadn't received my primary. The woman (who was extremely nice) said that I should be getting it shortly. I am assuming it is just taking a long time if they are sending them en masse. Maybe its arriving alphabetically?

Finally got it! I actually really like their design, so much information!

Got my secondary, logged into the system, and saw "No Letters of Recomendation have been submitted."

However, I thought that OUWB was going to use the AMCAS letter system - in which I have already released my letters to this school. What's going on there? Anyone else having this issue?

Got my secondary, logged into the system, and saw "No Letters of Recomendation have been submitted."

However, I thought that OUWB was going to use the AMCAS letter system - in which I have already released my letters to this school. What's going on there? Anyone else having this issue?

Just because you released them doesn't mean that they pulled them from the system yet.

Update - I got a very quick response from their office when I asked about this issue:

"Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct in that we are using the AMCAS letter system; however, there is a technical issue with our supplemental system that should be resolved by early next week. There is no need to resubmit your letters."

So there we go.

secondary received. i have a feeling my lack of research experience here will hurt me here though.

secondary received. i have a feeling my lack of research experience here will hurt me here though.

If you have significant leadership experience(s) that could make up for it :) They are all about the leadership lol.

Got mine too

Status
Not open for further replies.