2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was surprised myself; every school should be this fast imo. Saves us the agonizing wait.

*First time in my life that I got called a troll*

Last edited:
Did anyone on here go to the interview yesterday? If so, could you give some insight into how the date went and what the interview was like?? I will be interviewing later and it will be my first one. Since this is their first year of med school I can't just look at previous year forums to see how the interviews went. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Did anyone on here go to the interview yesterday? If so, could you give some insight into how the date went and what the interview was like?? I will be interviewing on Oct 22nd and it will be my first one. Since this is their first year of med school I can't just look at previous year forums to see how the interviews went. Thanks!!!
I'm not interviewing later, but interestingly, they gave a link to Sunny Gibson - a member of the Northwestern admissions team - talking about how to give a good interview. It makes me wonder if the questions are going to be similar to Northwestern's interview questions, or if it's going to be panel interviews, or if they just liked her talk so they provided us with a link to it. I know Northwestern's questions can be quite interesting though, so I hope they are similar (ex. "They asked the girl sitting next to me how many fire hydrants there are in the United States. Then they asked me why they asked that question.")

Last edited:
I was at the interview yesterday, but I created a new username cause there was only 12 of us there and I want to keep my anonymity.

I was extrememly impressed with the interview day. We met all of the Deans and they were unbelievably warm and friendly. Since there was only twelve of us there it was extremely personal, and the ratio was nearly 1:1 in terms of faculty there and applicants.

We had an opening reception in which they gave us details about the school and dispelled any notions that they didn't know what they were doing. We had a morning interview then took a bus to Beaumont hospital and had another tour there as well as an interview. Beaumont hospital was unbelievable. It's extremely nice there and the staff was very friendly. Everyone was very excited about us being there, and we really felt like we were wanted. I was very impressed with this factor.

The interviews were very laid back. It was totally conversational, and both interviewers did everything they could to ensure we were relaxed. Each one lasted about 30 minutes.

Overall, I was very impressed with the day, and I wouldn't be upset at all about going there. The only negatives I can say is that the lecture hall was mediocre at best (they're not building a new one, but using an existing one from the undergrad), and the anatomy lab left a lot to be desired. But in terms of staff and philosophy I was very impressed.

One thing I should mention. They're making acceptances on a rolling basis, and they're interviewing 300 for 50 spots. They said they will be making the acceptances slowly, however, because they're not quite sure what to expect on the students part. The first offers will be going out late Oct/ early Nov., and they'll trickle out slowly after that.

Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone else interviewing here.

I was at the interview yesterday, but I created a new username cause there was only 12 of us there and I want to keep my anonymity.

I was extrememly impressed with the interview day. We met all of the Deans and they were unbelievably warm and friendly. Since there was only twelve of us there it was extremely personal, and the ratio was nearly 1:1 in terms of faculty there and applicants.

We had an opening reception in which they gave us details about the school and dispelled any notions that they didn't know what they were doing. We had a morning interview then took a bus to Beaumont hospital and had another tour there as well as an interview. Beaumont hospital was unbelievable. It's extremely nice there and the staff was very friendly. Everyone was very excited about us being there, and we really felt like we were wanted. I was very impressed with this factor.

The interviews were very laid back. It was totally conversational, and both interviewers did everything they could to ensure we were relaxed. Each one lasted about 30 minutes.

Overall, I was very impressed with the day, and I wouldn't be upset at all about going there. The only negatives I can say is that the lecture hall was mediocre at best (they're not building a new one, but using an existing one from the undergrad), and the anatomy lab left a lot to be desired. But in terms of staff and philosophy I was very impressed.

One thing I should mention. They're making acceptances on a rolling basis, and they're interviewing 300 for 50 spots. They said they will be making the acceptances slowly, however, because they're not quite sure what to expect on the students part. The first offers will be going out late Oct/ early Nov., and they'll trickle out slowly after that.

Ah thanks for the info. By any chance, did they say how many applicants they've had so far and how often they're going to give interviews?

Thanks so much for the information!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Darlene at the admissions office today and she said that they are not inviting applicants for interview in any particular order and they are sending out invites very slowly. Hope that helps!

Hey all!

I have a question, how do you think Oakland would like a pre-interview update? I just got a new leadership position and I know this school is really big on leadership. I am really hoping to interview here and want to express that, but I don't know if its too early to consider this. Thanks!

Complete 9/8/2010 and Interview invite 9/25/2010.. OOS

Wow, on a Saturday? Congrats! I assume it was by email. Care to share your stats?
Thanks! I'm a 3.5, 29 applicant.. not the greatest stats.. took the MCAT only once (kinda wish I could retake it but whatever). Extracurriculars are off the charts though. Good luck to everyone!

Oh ya and it was by email. So I'm guessing these things are automated. I didn't check the website on friday though so I'm not sure if it was updated on the site beforehand

Yay! Just received an interview invite via email! I'm OOS with a 3.7c, 3.56s, 27. I'll be interviewing on October 29. :D

Yay! Just received an interview invite via email! I'm OOS with a 3.7c, 3.56s, 27. I'll be interviewing on October 29. :D

when did they receive your secondary application?
and I wonder if they don't start looking at it till they receive all the LORs because I didnt know they needed a third one (since my comittee packet counts as 2), so they didnt get the final LOR till 9/14, secondary completed 8/29..... 3.7, 28O, OOS TX resident with ties to MI

I'll be interviewing on the 29th as well!

Awesome! We'll be interview buddies. :)

when did they receive your secondary application?
and I wonder if they don't start looking at it till they receive all the LORs because I didnt know they needed a third one (since my comittee packet counts as 2), so they didnt get the final LOR till 9/14, secondary completed 8/29..... 3.7, 28O, OOS TX resident with ties to MI

I submitted my secondary application on 8/10 so it's been about a month and a half.

Hey all!

I have a question, how do you think Oakland would like a pre-interview update? I just got a new leadership position and I know this school is really big on leadership. I am really hoping to interview here and want to express that, but I don't know if its too early to consider this. Thanks!

I got a new leadership position as well, and e-mailed the admissions office about it. They were very nice and congratulated me on my new position, but said that only what is already on file through the primary and secondary application will be considered in making a decision for an interview.

I got a new leadership position as well, and e-mailed the admissions office about it. They were very nice and congratulated me on my new position, but said that only what is already on file through the primary and secondary application will be considered in making a decision for an interview.

Aww, thats too bad. Thanks for the info!

I submitted my secondary today. Its probably too late but oh well... :(

Only 5 interview invites listed on this thread? Really?!?! I find this hard to believe. Come on, lurkers, let us know about your invites!

Only 5 interview invites listed on this thread? Really?!?! I find this hard to believe. Come on, lurkers, let us know about your invites!

They're only giving out 300 interviews, and they're doing so slowly. I wouldn't expect to find a whole ton of interview invites at once.

They're only giving out 300 interviews, and they're doing so slowly. I wouldn't expect to find a whole ton of interview invites at once.

Assuming there have been 5 interview days so far with 15 people on interview day. There should still b 300-60= 240 interview spots still left :confused:

Assuming there have been 5 interview days so far with 15 people on interview day. There should still b 300-60= 240 interview spots still left :confused:

I think they said were going to start interviewing on Tuesdays as well but I can't be positive (it might have been MSU that told me that).

Mind telling us when you were complete?

I got the complete email on 9/3, but have heard nothing since then.
I was complete 8/22.

I think they said were going to start interviewing on Tuesdays as well but I can't be positive (it might have been MSU that told me that).

When I scheduled there were maybe 1 date in Oct. 3 or so dates in Nov. and more in Dec. and I scheduled for a Tuesday.

Last edited:
I've been trying to contact the admissions office to get some sense of how slowly/quickly they are processing applications. No response to emails, nobody answers the phone - left a message when prompted to by the automated system, but never got a call back.

Does anyone know if this lack of response is a matter of policy, or have they all just gone on vacation?

Bah, at this stage I have desperation oozing out of my pores. The really sad thing is that since they don't accept update letters, I can't even tell them how desperate I am.

Bah, at this stage I have desperation oozing out of my pores. The really sad thing is that since they don't accept update letters, I can't even tell them how desperate I am.

If you're this desperate now, just wait until you're waitlisted and you're sitting on pins and needles next June waiting for an acceptance.

Seriously just calm down; there is no need to be "desperate" at this point and time.

As for the response time, they are severely understaffed at the moment (when I was there on Tues, most of the office was empty). I'd just give them a little extra time to respond.

Can anyone who was at any of the later interview dates say if the admissions staff commented further on when they'd release their first batch of decisions?

On the Oct 1 interview they said to not expect to hear anything until late October/early November, as they are hoping to see what type of interviewees are coming in and figure out who to accept

Just received an interview invite tonight. OOS 33/3.9. There are two dates left each for November and December, so I'm sure that they still have quite a few invites to hand out.

I am a senior, my application is fine asides from one major flaw, a low gpa. I'm afraid that it'll hold me back. I am a double major in Microbiology and Biopsychology from a great undergraduate institution (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor).

GPA: 3.26
MCAT: 32
Volunteer/Work: Very Strong (Research experience [including eventual publication], clinical experience, multiple times shadowing, university clubs/organizations)

Letters of Rec.: Good (2x from science faculty, 1x non-science, 2x from work experiences)

I am currently waiting after the completion of my application.

I was thinking of starting a clinical research project since I enjoy working with patients, and then updating my application with the task. Will that improve my chances of getting in?

I am a senior, my application is fine asides from one major flaw, a low gpa.

I'm actually in almost the same boat as you - my GPA (3.38) and MCAT (34) are better, but my ECs are worse. My GPA is still definitely the limiting factor.

<rant>
I have no idea how Oakland is going about selecting candidates for interview. No offense to the poster above who just got an invite, but based on their stats I'll be shocked if he/she doesn't end up matriculating at a far better school than Oakland. The same could probably be said for most of the people who have already posted here about invites here.

I've already accepted the fact that I'm probably not even going to get an interview at any other MD schools. I've been hoping that Oakland might get desperate and take a chance on a candidate like me, but that is starting to seem rather foolish.

</rant>

To finally answer your question, I think the fact is that at this stage, your existing ECs are strong enough that additional info won't matter. However, that said, if it's something you already plan on doing, then why not? It definitely won't hurt your chances.

I am a senior, my application is fine asides from one major flaw, a low gpa. I'm afraid that it'll hold me back. I am a double major in Microbiology and Biopsychology from a great undergraduate institution (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor).

GPA: 3.26
MCAT: 32
Volunteer/Work: Very Strong (Research experience [including eventual publication], clinical experience, multiple times shadowing, university clubs/organizations)

Letters of Rec.: Good (2x from science faculty, 1x non-science, 2x from work experiences)

I am currently waiting after the completion of my application.

I was thinking of starting a clinical research project since I enjoy working with patients, and then updating my application with the task. Will that improve my chances of getting in?

Your MCAT and EC's are certainly good enough to get you in the door at places; it's just that since this is Oakland's first year, we don't know exactly what they are looking for in their candidates. An update letter/letter of interest couldn't hurt your chances. But there are still a lot of spots left so I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

I'm actually in almost the same boat as you - my GPA (3.38) and MCAT (34) are better, but my ECs are worse. My GPA is still definitely the limiting factor.

<rant>
I have no idea how Oakland is going about selecting candidates for interview. No offense to the poster above who just got an invite, but based on their stats I'll be shocked if he/she doesn't end up matriculating at a far better school than Oakland. The same could probably be said for most of the people who have already posted here about invites here.

I've already accepted the fact that I'm probably not even going to get an interview at any other MD schools. I've been hoping that Oakland might get desperate and take a chance on a candidate like me, but that is starting to seem rather foolish.

</rant>

To finally answer your question, I think the fact is that at this stage, your existing ECs are strong enough that additional info won't matter. However, that said, if it's something you already plan on doing, then why not? It definitely won't hurt your chances.

Yeah, I applied to Oakland quite early and wasn't surprised that I didn't receive an invite. Not to sound cocky or anything, but I figured the fact that I would likely get into "better" schools than Oakland might have disqualified me. I am still going to check out the school, because you never know what might strike you, but the first year stigma is a huge drawback.

If I were part of the OU Admission's Committee, I'd be focusing on those candidates who get passed over due to one flaw. Medical schools require such completeness from candidates these days that if you are missing just one crucial thing (GPA above 3.5, MCAT above 30, clinical, etc...) you are immediately at a disadvantage. As such many students with great MCATs, great ECs and great potential get passed over till the next cycle or end up going the overseas or DO route.

I wouldn't despair if I were you. Your MCAT is fantastic and there really still is a lot of time left. Because of your low GPA you're probably in the wait-and-see pile at a lot of schools and hopefully most of them come through with an interview invite soon. Good luck :thumbup:

I'd really love to know how they are picking candidates for interviews too... I thought that my huge amount of leadership would give me a leg up here because they really stressed leadership on their applicant visit day. Oh well.

I'd really love to know how they are picking candidates for interviews too... I thought that my huge amount of leadership would give me a leg up here because they really stressed leadership on their applicant visit day. Oh well.

The funny thing about that is the way the whole leadership business came seemingly out of nowhere. The information listed on the OUWB page barely mentions leadership at all - and certainly not with the kind of inane frequency exhibited in their other materials.

I'm not sure if OUWB realizes that their inaugural class will not, in all likelihood, end up becoming the future leadership of the free world. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, you WOULD think that if they stress the idea so much it should be one of the major criterion for interview selection.

Yeah, I applied to Oakland quite early and wasn't surprised that I didn't receive an invite. Not to sound cocky or anything, but I figured the fact that I would likely get into "better" schools than Oakland might have disqualified me.

That's an interesting theory. I don't suppose that it is based upon any facts or knowledge, but merely speculation, which is all we have to go on.

Let's speculate, then. If you were an adcom at Oakland, who would you skip?

Let's take the high end applicant. He has a 36 MCAT and a 3.9 from an Ivy League with excellent EC's and published research. He has no association with Michigan or Oakland university. If you were an adcom, would you waste your time interviewing this guy? He obviously applied to Oakland as a safety school, just in case. Conversely, would you interview him and, if he had good presentation skills, would you offer him some incredible financial deal in order to raise your school's first year stats?

But.... what if you have 100 of these applicants (which is likely). You know that some of them might attend, but 90 of them won't. You want the 10 applicants for stat reasons but you don't want to waste your time interviewing all 100.

The best way might be to not offer interviews to them until December. At that point, more preferred schools have made offers and the ones who are not serious about Oakland would withdraw.

This is speculation, but it might be a good explanation for the slowness of their interview invites.

Yeah, I applied to Oakland quite early and wasn't surprised that I didn't receive an invite. Not to sound cocky or anything, but I figured the fact that I would likely get into "better" schools than Oakland might have disqualified me.

What other schools have you gotten into so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.