2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted! Hoping for some love from my last state school :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all of those in the application process. I'm a current WSU SOM student but OU was my undergrad school. I did my M3 rotations at Henry Ford but there are a lot of people in our class that did their rotations at Beaumont.

OU has a beautiful campus with plenty of room to grow. During undergrad, there were a lot of research opportunities and funding. I'm sure that for the medical school there will be a good amount of options if you want to do some bench research.

I used to live in Rochester for most of my life and it is a higher end suburban town which is great if you have children. The public schools are some of the most regarded in Michigan right around Troy which is the neighboring city in Oakland County. Downtown Rochester is very nice if you want to go barhopping or just stop by for some lunch. Plenty of shopping around.

If you guys have any questions about OU or the area send me a PM.

Hi! I have a quick question. I'm having some trouble with the first essay about how you will contribute to the school and the mission statement.

I'm pretty much just focusing on the "skillful, ethical, and compassionate physicians" part and how I will use my experiences/skills to contribute to this. I've worked in a medical ethics department and volunteered in a hospital, but for the 'skillful' part I don't really know what they mean. If it means academics would it be pompous to talk about how I have gotten good grades in my upper division science classes? (I realize that the majority of applicants have good grades and I don't want to come off as arrogant, which I'm not). Or maybe just about research and such?

thanks!!!

So, I finished my secondary ap, but now on the "Supplemental Application" tab under "Application Submit" it says at the top that the page is incomplete and to press submit, but at the bottom it says in red that the application has been submitted and there is nothing left for me to click. On the home page it says my ap has been successfully submitted at such and such date and time, but instead of the last green check at Application File Complete it has a red exclamation point (everything else is green). Should I call the school, or do they have to look everything over or something to check off the last green one? Anyone else having any issues?

So, I finished my secondary ap, but now on the "Supplemental Application" tab under "Application Submit" it says at the top that the page is incomplete and to press submit, but at the bottom it says in red that the application has been submitted and there is nothing left for me to click. On the home page it says my ap has been successfully submitted at such and such date and time, but instead of the last green check at Application File Complete it has a red exclamation point (everything else is green). Should I call the school, or do they have to look everything over or something to check off the last green one? Anyone else having any issues?

Are your LORs in? (mine aren't, I'm assuming that's why mine still has red X next to the application complete category too.) Did you just submit today? I would give it a few days since I don't think it automatically marks it as complete, I know that other schools I have had everything in and it still takes them a few days to officially mark the application as complete.

Mine is the same way. Everything but complete has the green check mark, including LOR's.

Mine is the same way. Everything but complete has the green check mark, including LOR's.

I just submitted the secondary and my page looks the exact same. I grew up about 20 minutes from OU and my soccer team used to practice on their campus every week for 5 years. That being said, the campus is nice and Rochester is an awesome area. I would love to be accepted here because that would bring me back from Chicago and close to my family again. Good luck everyone!

I just submitted the secondary and my page looks the exact same. I grew up about 20 minutes from OU and my soccer team used to practice on their campus every week for 5 years. That being said, the campus is nice and Rochester is an awesome area. I would love to be accepted here because that would bring me back from Chicago and close to my family again. Good luck everyone!

I have all green check marks and am marked complete now. I'm not sure when it changed. There was no email or anything, I just had to check via the online system.

I called today because I still wasn't complete (i submitted five days ago) and it said that the letters all weren't uploaded. I talked to a very nice lady who told me that she had all my letters, but that they were experiencing some problems and the system hadnt registered them yet. She said that I should be complete within the next week and that if I wasn't to call back and they would resolve it for me.

So if you're not complete don't fret. This is a new medical school so there's bound to be some glitches. I'm sure this doesn't affect everyone, but just hang tight and if you're really freaking out just call them and ask because they're super nice.

did anyone receive a secondary before being verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been marked complete here yet?

What sort of information do they present in the "webinar"?

I think this thread has most of the useful information...

The second question on the secondary doesn't make sense to me. "Describe a situation in which you could not solve a problem but had to learn to manage it." I don't get the last part "learn to manage it". Manage what?? Maybe, I am thinking too hard.

I am just going to interpret this question as "describe a problem that you couldn't solve initially and how you solved it"

Last edited:
I am the chair of the computer science dept. I have one full time faculty who is a pure a!@#$le. I can't fire him because of tenure & union contracts. Yet I have to work with him & handle all the student complaints that his attitude brings. One has to learn to manage him? How? What can you do, so students & you can survive? That is an example of Q 2.

The second question on the secondary doesn't make sense to me. "Describe a situation in which you could not solve a problem but had to learn to manage it." I don't get the last part "learn to manage it". Manage what?? Maybe, I am thinking too hard.

I am just going to interpret this question as "describe a problem that you couldn't solve initially and how you solved it"

Hmm, attacking the concept of tenure in a room full of university professors. Smart. :p

You could also attack the hippocratic oath in your personal statement.

If you then insult the school during your interview, you could hit the trifecta.

There are a lot of problems that can't be solved and must be managed - the obvious ones are chronic diseases.

thanks for your replies.

Do you think it may be easier to get into this school since its new? But the incoming class size is only 50 students so that may increase the competition.

The FAQ on the SOM site said that they would be conducting interviews August-March. I have a feeling those August interviews aren't happening, but man would I really like to hear from this school soon! :xf:

Same here! Sounds like they got the kinks with their app system worked out and I'm predicting we'll hear great news for September :)

A quick question: While browsing their website, I noticed that they mention their "student-centered learning" environment (basically PBL). What I'm wondering is if anyone knows to what extent PBL is used. Is it mostly PBL with less than 10 hrs of lecture (sort of like Northwestern) or is it more traditional in the sense that the PBL is there to supplement lectures? Just curious, since I couldn't find any detailed info on the website regarding this.

does anyone else have any good tips or examples for what to use for the second essay question, have so many thoughts on it but nothin big enough to draft a good essay....

Any interview love from this school yet?

Yeah, I figured this forum is really quiet, so I should ask if anyone has good news aside from no news, lol

I submitted my secondary like immediately, so if they go by that, I'll let you guys know the good or the bad news when they decide on my file.

Dear OU,
Pretty please start sending out interview invites because I would really like one.
Love,
sedaniel

Congrats!! I was complete first day, I guess it does not bode that well for me.

Mind posting your stats and complete date?

Congrats! I'm jealous........Oakland pretty please give me one too!

I submitted my secondary and was complete on August 18th.
3.6/32 -- I match what Oakland says they are looking for pretty well.

Their first interview date is Sept. 17th... and I am hoping to go then but I might have to hold off until November because I have a ton of 3 other interviews in Sept and 5 in November.... and am debating just how much time off from school I can afford.

and thank you! I was sooo excited when I say the email in my inbox. I'm still in shock that medical schools like me (they really like me)

boggvir - don't freak over yet about being passed over. It doesn't look like they are looking at applications in order or extending interviews in order yet (considering how much later I finished my secondary compared to you and several others)

Last edited:
yeah bogg just give it some time. OU probably just started everything.

There is a webinar tomorrow. The last one in August was cancelled due to technicial difficulties :(

Interview invite. Scheduled for 9/17.

There is a webinar tomorrow. The last one in August was cancelled due to technicial difficulties :(

I too am interested in this webinar and how to access it. Thinking about adding OU to my list of schools.

Did anyone else notice the length of the day? 7:30-5!? Holy **** talk about a long day...

Utter silence. Has no news arisen since the initial interview batch?

Status
Not open for further replies.