2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CLAS = College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
CALS = College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
PHHP = College of Public Health and Health Professions

And fyi Busta, I don't know of anybody in my class from UF that majored in "pre-professional" anything. Everyone had an actual major.

Members don't see this ad.

CLAS = College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
CALS = College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
PHHP = College of Public Health and Health Professions

And fyi Busta, I don't know of anybody in my class from UF that majored in "pre-professional" anything. Everyone had an actual major.

thanks Cweave, but i am aware of that. Preprofessional is just my track, meaning that i am focused towards Med School pre-requisites. The majors i am interested in are Biology, Microbiology and Cell Science, Health Science. Do you happen to know which college is preferred by students that are on a pre-med track?

Yeah I have no idea what you are talking about and honestly this is not the place to talk about transferring to colleges. this thread is for people posting about getting interviews to or about applications to UF medical school not its undergrad institution.

i'm sorry i'm wasn't aware of that. I thought it was a pre-med forum for undergraduate studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to rage out after the first half of our test by eating all the brownies at the interviewee lunch.

No, seriously, there are some sweet-ass brownies at that lunch, and I am eating them all.

If it's a brownie, I'm eating it. You've been officially warned.

How do the UF med students on here feel about the new p/f grading system and how will that change junior AOA selection?

Pass/fail has been met with universal praise from the student body. If somebody doesn't like it, then they're not saying anything. It would probably fall on deaf ears anyway.

How did people find out that they have an interview-- email or phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, can someone tell me what the extra essays required on the 2nd so i can prepare.

So I'm filling out this secondary now, and I was just wondering what people are generally doing about the questions asking what other schools you are applying to. I don't know why, but I feel a little strange listing the other like 15 schools I'm sending applications to. Will it affect me in any way if I choose not to list them? It says it won't, but I just want to get a feel for what y'all are doing.

Thanks!

My philosophy = if its optional don't answer it. I believe it was optional and I skipped it cuz its not their business.

Thanks, that's exactly how I feel. I think I'm going to end up skipping it too.

So I'm filling out this secondary now, and I was just wondering what people are generally doing about the questions asking what other schools you are applying to. I don't know why, but I feel a little strange listing the other like 15 schools I'm sending applications to. Will it affect me in any way if I choose not to list them? It says it won't, but I just want to get a feel for what y'all are doing.

Thanks!

I chose to not answer it last year. I don't think it has any sway on your interview or acceptance.

Just interviewed. Think it went really well, but doesn't everyone say that? Is there realistically any way to predict how you did BEFORE hearing back on October 15th? Longest wait of my life. AHH!

But they also remind you that out of everyone they interviewed last year, somewhere around 90% ended up going to a medical school. Which is nice to hear! I really liked UF COM though.

Yea, there was 18 people on my interview day and they claim to accept about 10 from each interview day right away on the 15th but they could just be saying that. What you said will definitely make me feel better though if I get put on hold. I think they said they ended up offering acceptance last year to like 230 people, since some students go elsewhere.

For this secondary, the essays specifically say one page but the pdf file will accept more (it just creates a scrolling arrow). Does this mean I can elaborate a bit or should I still try to cram everything into a page?

Just interviewed. Think it went really well, but doesn't everyone say that? Is there realistically any way to predict how you did BEFORE hearing back on October 15th? Longest wait of my life. AHH!

But they also remind you that out of everyone they interviewed last year, somewhere around 90% ended up going to a medical school. Which is nice to hear! I really liked UF COM though.

Relax, the fact that you interviewed bodes quite nicely in your favor. I interviewed mid-season and was accepted shortly thereafter. Even if you get put on hold, there's still a great, and i mean great, chance you'll be accepted barring horrible interviews.

I agree. Unless you come off as an immature idiot to your interviewer, you will get accepted eventually even if you get on hold, providing that you do the one cardinal thing......

Keep updating them and making your interest clear. Do new research? Then update them. Received a publication for an abstract or paper or poster?? update them. Presented and or won awards in research competitions or research days? update them.

Did new volunteer stuff clinical or non clinical? Update them. Started or joined a new organization and did stuff within such? Update them.

You get the idea. Anything significant you update them with and make clear your interest through doing such.

How would you go about updating them? Via mail or e-mail? For some reason I feel that the mail option is a little more personal,

Just curious, has there been an average turn around time from date of submission to interview invite?

Hi!

Just interviewed. I think overall it went well. I went to UF so I had heard a few horror stories about the interviews but I didn't feel that way at all. My interviewers were incredibly nice and very open. They kept emphasizing that of the people they interviewed: 95% of them get accepted SOMEWHERE, if not necessarily at UF. So that was pretty pleasing. I interviewed with 14 other applicants and was told that about 7-9 of us would be accepted and a lot of people would be put on hold, but I wasn't clear on how many of us that would be. They also emphasized that 2/3 of their interviewees get accepted to UF eventually.

Good luck all that are applying :)

I was called by UFCOM this morning for an interview invite. I was in class at my undergraduate institution, and was unable to talk for long. She gave me the date of Oct 22nd for interview. I didnt want to blindly say yes, in case I had a test or something in school that day. I politely asked if I could return her call in approximately an hour. She said that was fine, said to call back the number, if I missed her, to just leave a voicemail. I called approximately 40 minutes later and got her voicemail. Should I be concerned?

I was called by UFCOM this morning for an interview invite. I was in class at my undergraduate institution, and was unable to talk for long. She gave me the date of Oct 22nd for interview. I didnt want to blindly say yes, in case I had a test or something in school that day. I politely asked if I could return her call in approximately an hour. She said that was fine, said to call back the number, if I missed her, to just leave a voicemail. I called approximately 40 minutes later and got her voicemail. Should I be concerned?

No.. she said to leave a voicemail if she was not there for a reason, she probably does not sit at her desk all day. Try not to worry about it too much, you have your interview :)

btw, when were you complete?

No.. she said to leave a voicemail if she was not there for a reason, she probably does not sit at her desk all day. Try not to worry about it too much, you have your interview :)

btw, when were you complete?
Sept 20th, 9 days ago.

Thanks for your response.

complete 7/29/10. Still no invitation. Am I out? :(

Following directions gets you rejected immediately. Better luck next time.

Following directions gets you rejected immediately. Better luck next time.
The sarcasm on this forum kills me. She called me back about an hour after my post here, and spoke at length about everything, and set up my interview date for Oct 22nd. Glad to see all this hardwork and dedication for 4 years is paying off.

Congrats. Us first years have our second block exam on that day, so expect to have all your lunch brownies eaten (by me).

Is there anyone that actually did not yet receive their secondary? I filled out the primary but haven't had word for a while...

I can't remember when I sent in the first half of the secondary (the $30.00 one), but it was about 3 weeks ago I think, maybe more.

Would I expect an e-mail for secondary, whether it's the actual application or a screened rejection?

Is there anyone that actually did not yet receive their secondary? I filled out the primary but haven't had word for a while...

I can't remember when I sent in the first half of the secondary (the $30.00 one), but it was about 3 weeks ago I think, maybe more.

Would I expect an e-mail for secondary, whether it's the actual application or a screened rejection?

Same thing happened to me. I just called them today and they told me they emailed it out to me two weeks ago. I never received it though, so they just sent it again. Finally have it. Wow, I hope this doesn't ruin my chances though.

Anyone think a 3.7 BCPM 32R MCAT with solid ECs is reasonably competitive this late?

Interviewing here on Friday! Any advice/info on the interview process/experiences?

Does anyone know how responsive UF is with "in the area" emails?

Interview here on Friday went great! Hour long interviews didn't seem as long as I thought they would. Only worry is lagging advancement to the integrated curriculum but looking at the board scores, seems like they're doing their job with a traditional curriculum. Looking forward to hearing from here around Oct 15th! :D

I've only just been reminded that Florida had written asking me to send in further proof of my residency, but I can't find the letter they'd sent me. UFCOM has already marked my application as complete. What proof do they take, where can I send it, and will this at all affect my interview prospects?

Those are questions probably best posed to the admissions office. Give them a call if you haven't already; I promise they don't bite.

Accepted! :D:):D:):D
How did you find out already? they told me at my interview they couldn't respond til Oct. 15th and they would be shut down for UF homecoming so we wouldnt hear anything until around the 18th.

Yesterday was only one day before Oct 15th so yeah I highly doubt it was that big of a difference.

I'm sure you will hear something today. Its still a week day so I don't see why they would wait til Monday.

Yeah, but they told us at our interview they would be shut down for UF homecoming and wouldn't start calling til Monday and REL from UCF also said they're not allowed to say anything til AFTER Oct 15th not ON Oct 15th which helped clarify a lot since I was expecting responses today, but I did find out I was ACCEPTED at UF by accident! One of my interviewers emailed me to say congrats!!! :D:D:D:D

did you find out by phone or email? do we hear from them regardless of if we've been accepted or put on hold? STRESS.

I found out both by a phone call from an MS4 and an email from an M.D., both who interviewed me. SUUUPERRRR STOKEEEDDD. GNARLY WAVES BRAH!!!!!:laugh::smuggrin::D:D:):D:):D

YAY! Got a phone call yesterday- very unexpected since when I asked the admissions office they said Tuesday or Wednesday. Best day of my life!!!!

:soexcited::rofl:

I was accepted yesterday. Got an e-mail from my interviewer around 3:30 and just got another one from my second interviewer. Haven't received a call. I'm guessing I'll get one Monday or Tuesday like the office said when I interviewed.

Be relaxed, be yourself, and ask lots of questions. Lunch with the med students is nice because they give you great advice, so be sure to ask.

I got deferred -_-
congrats to those who have been accepted!

Status
Not open for further replies.