2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got deferred -_-
congrats to those who have been accepted!

Did you hear from them about it? Or are you assuming because of no call...

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!! Got an email from UF about 20 minutes ago! And here I thought they were calling...

:eek::eek::D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am assuming being deferred and put on hold is the same??

I was put on hold, but it says a decision will be made later in the season..does this mean that there is no chance on them deciding to accept me before all interviews are complete?? I am a bit confused on this, because I thought the hold applicants were re-evaluated often?

Also..for those of you who interviewed at UF, how did you send thank you letters?? Their e-mail addresses were not provided to me, but I would like to send a quick thanks!

So I am assuming being deferred and put on hold is the same??

I was put on hold, but it says a decision will be made later in the season..does this mean that there is no chance on them deciding to accept me before all interviews are complete?? I am a bit confused on this, because I thought the hold applicants were re-evaluated often?

Also..for those of you who interviewed at UF, how did you send thank you letters?? Their e-mail addresses were not provided to me, but I would like to send a quick thanks!

I asked for their business cards to send them thanks. About being put on hold, my initial impression was also that we would get reevaluated often, but the email implies that it won't happen until after all the interviews are completed (I think...). I am sooo confused. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

38S, 3.86c, 3.7s. I'm a non-trad teaching HS.

Good luck come spring -- I've heard updates might help!

honestly... If you hadn't gotten accepted, I don't think anyone else could have either!
great job! you deserve it!!!

Does anyone know the best places to live here in G-ville?
Quiet/cheap/close etc.

Thanks

:confused:

Does anyone know the best places to live here in G-ville?
Quiet/cheap/close etc.

Thanks

:confused:

Being super close to the school isn't really necessary here, and it is a lot more expensive. The bus system here is awesome and you are never more than a 15 minute ride away, at the most, as long as you stay in the SW. Places like Oxford Manor are quiet and cheapish.

Finally got a complete email. I have really been "complete" since late august. They seem to be rather disorganized. Does anyone else gets that impression?

Finally got a complete email. I have really been "complete" since late august. They seem to be rather disorganized. Does anyone else gets that impression?

I have had no issues. Not sure what the problem would be there. You can always call and ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed recently stayed with a host? When I scheduled my interview I was told I could make arrangements with a host, but I never got an email or anything with information, my interview is in a week :(

Has anyone who interviewed recently stayed with a host? When I scheduled my interview I was told I could make arrangements with a host, but I never got an email or anything with information, my interview is in a week :(

I stayed with a host last night for my interview today. Had a great experience at interview and with host. You were supposed to recieve a follow up email after you were invited for an interview. That email should have several files attached. One is for the student hosting program.

Anyone have the stats on:

-% of students getting secondaries
-% of those students getting interviews
-% of those students who get interviews getting accepted

I got the secondary and have been complete for a while...just trying to gauge my chances. Thanks!

I got the secondary and have been complete for a while...just trying to gauge my chances. Thanks!

I'm not sure about the first two but I know they told us at our interview that 67-70% (so about 2/3) of the people who get interviews get accepted which was very reassuring. They do a lot of screening for interviews, so if you get an interview, more than likely you will get accepted unless you bomb it. Hope this helps! :luck:

If I remember correctly, what they told us at interview was:

3,000ish send the primary
1,500ish get the secondary
300ish get the interview
2/3rds of applicants at the interview get accepted.

Good luck brochacho.

Although I guess not "officially"...I received a call from one of my interviewers on Tuesday, but I haven't heard from Leila Amiri yet? Hopefully that'll come in tomorrow, it doesn't quite seem real til I hear from her!

PS - Congrats LadyLoe!

Not sure that I'll be int he 300 that get an interview though lord knows what will happen. I guess time will tell. But I do have to say knowing that half the people who apply don't get a secondary just made me feel better. Are these numbers for real?

The vast majority of the people that don't receive secondaries are OOS. However, there are still plenty of other IS students that don't get them as well. According to medicalschoolsinusa.com, UF actually interviews closer to 375 students and accepts 2/3 of those, which definitely works in our favor (at least when you compare it to 300). It's still relatively early in UF's cycle, and since I pass through the admissions office almost every day, I can tell you that they are FAR from having interviewed even half of those 375, perhaps 75-100. Keep hope alive :)

Actually, now looking back at the actual secondary that they sent, they interviewed 350 student last year and they received "over" 1300 secondaries, which is still better than the 1,500/300 ratio presented before.

Here is the link to where I got my info:

http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/University_of_Florida_College_of_Medicine.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UF accepts many people off the waitlist in December after ~ 1/2 of the interviews are complete??

Does anyone know if UF accepts many people off the waitlist in December after ~ 1/2 of the interviews are complete??

From my understanding, the majority of students accepted are off the waitlist. They accept a few post-interview and the rest of the students are put on hold until April-ish. They accept the peeps they like and reject about 100 of the interviewees. After that, there is MASSIVE reshuffling around May 15, which is quite hilarious to witness if you pass by the admissions office as it is going on due to the constant changing of pictures on their board. But within the madness, there is hope for people on the waitlist, so just be patient and I am sure good things will come to you :).

could somebody help me understand the difference from a hold and waitlist status?

Wait so just reread your post. Are you saying most of them are from the waitlisted candidates who are waitlisted throughout and post hold status decisions??? Like the actual true waitlist??

I wonder what percentage it is like 1/2 or 2/3. I know at USF years ago it used to be like 1/2 the class was off the waitlist. I wonder what it is at UF.

You're right, there is a difference between hold and waitlist. UF puts about half the people on hold prior to the big acceptances going out in March/April. As for waitlist... I don't know how it works exactly, but I'm guessing it works the same as in most other schools. I have a friend who was waitlisted after being on hold and he got in eventually around June or so.

I submitted my secondary in the first week of October, how long do you guys think it will take to hear back from them?

I have a 31Q, 3.86cu, 3.83science, Applied Economics & Biochemistry majors, 2 years hospice volunteering w/ dying patients, 1 month shadowing rad onc, 2 terms in SGA senate, world affairs program & model UN for 2 years(lots of awards), 1 year of eco research on price discrimination in the healthcare system, research in 2 biochem/organic chem labs ongoing, and 1 year as an online chemistry tutor, and a good amount of world travels. I submitted on Oct 3 and haven't heard anything back as of yet.

With these stats, I would be very surprised if you don't get a response before the end of November. It took them about 5 weeks after I sent in my secondary to get back to me.

The only thing that would probably delay you from hearing from them is that were in the thick of the application season.

Good luck dood.

:thumbup:

I received an "Interview Survey" shortly after hearing the news about my application being put on Hold. Seemed like a big metaphorical slap in the face to send that to me after letting me know they don't find my application stellar enough to warrant an initial acceptance. That along with my, to say the least, very trying and poorly planned interview day, has left me underwhelmed with UF's admissions process.

Don't assume they didn't find your application stellar enough. One of my 3 best friends is an M4 at UF med right now applying for residency in a competitive field. I won't say for sake of anonymity of the person in question. She was put on hold with a mid 30s MCAT score, 3.8+ GPA and extremely awesome ECs and letters. She, however, was eventually put on waitlist and then taken off of the waitlist through constant updating them with new activities as UF encourages post interview applicants to do.

Hold applicants are just put on hold so they have a larger amount of people to compare against before offering a final decision. It is just another waiting point but not a final decision on your app.

Only a handful of people are accepted early and the majority are accepted in December and March kinda like at BUSM at UF med. I saw this to be true 5 years ago when another person who'd have graduated from UF med had she not quit there went through the process. I also saw it 4 years ago when my friend applied and I'm seeing it again now.

its not anything to be concerned about so long as youd o your part and keep updating them with new stuff and make your interest known.

I do understand how the process works. I did interview there and get their admissions process speal after all. I was posting my opinion based on the observations and interactions I have had with the school so far.

20,743 posts. 8.46 Post per day. Impressive...:smack:.

With these stats, I would be very surprised if you don't get a response before the end of November. It took them about 5 weeks after I sent in my secondary to get back to me.

The only thing that would probably delay you from hearing from them is that were in the thick of the application season.

Good luck dood.

:thumbup:
thanks man, hope we end up as classmates, btw thats cool that you know cliff and pravar :p

My point is I hate when people say things like they didn't think I'm stellar enoiugh. Because that's not necessarily true. the point is they prob. put you on hold to give later applicants a fair review by not filling all their seats in the order they interview but rather by reviewing against a larger quantity of applicants for the sole purpose of being fair to all the interviewees.

So don't assume it is not being stellar enough that gets you a hold. its just probably a desire to be more fair to the other applicants who come after you.

That being said, if there was a way to hide my number of posts I'd do it. Cuz I'm sick of people making a big deal about it. If you look further you will see part of that is because I've been around these forums for a very long time and its not that I post a certain amount per day. they just seemed to average it that way. Its really all irrelevant though cuz number of posts has nothing to do with anything.

In summary, my real point of the post was hang in there. You are not alone, and there are others who are on post interview hold and both extremely stellar and the mroe average ones both who have interviewed. its just a way to be fair. Oh and last but not least to any of you on hold, including yourself to whom I'm responding to GOOD :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

:)

I still haven't heard much of anything post completion from this school. I tried sending an update letter but they only let update letters for post interview updates.

There is a reason that some people are accepted right off the bat. They want to grab what they consider "the most competitive" applicants that they like right off the bat. I believe I have a strong application, but there IS a reason some people aren't accepted immediately: because they did not WOW the Admissions office.

Obviously many people are accepted later in the cycle, but the only reason UF can get away with "Semi-rolling" admissions process is because they realize they're a competitive-enough school to the point where they can leave people hanging and still get a bunch of strong applicants later.

If a lesser school did "Semi-rolling" they would loose a majority of very strong applicants because they would choose to attend different schools that are just as competitive if not more so.

In summary, I appreciate the encouragement. However, there is a reason some people are accepted immediately and some people are put on Hold.

Good luck in your med school hunt.

I got an interview invite about 2 weeks after submitting my application around the beginning of October. I was deferred until later in the interview season. Although I thought my interviews went off without a hitch, and I found a common interest with both of my interviewers, I was surrounded by students from Princeton, Harvard, Brown, etc, and those were probably the people that got immediate acceptances.

I heard we just accept the best looking students, so you're both wrong.

Just had my UF interview today. Went SO well (I think). The people there are so nice and are so willing to help you. They repeated over and over that they were recruiting us and to relax. The interviews are one hour long and are one on one. They are very informal, no set questions, though you'll probably experience the classic ones like "Why do you want to be a doctor," "What got you interested in medicine," and "Why UF?" My first interview was with a Ph.D. and the second was with a 4th year med student (SO NICE. She said she hoped I got in).

Good luck to the rest of you! I find out as soon as Monday.

To those who got interviews, how long did it take after you submitted your application?
I am just curious as to what their turn-around cycle is.

I submitted end of Oct (I know - pretty late!)...
~3.7 BCPM
~33S MCAT
Hosp volunteering/minor research/engineering masters/nontraditional student.
Florida resident.

This waiting game is no fun. I submitted late (had some major problems with transcript verification)....

I submitted around Oct. 20th last year with similar stats and I got my interview invite the first week of December. It was a pretty nice birthday present.

I know a lot of people on this board would have you believe that submitting any later than July relegates you to the Caribbean, but keep in mind that invites go out through March (I think). It's frustrating to wait, but once you're here, no one cares when you interviewed.

Anyone know if UF accepts pre-interview invitation letters of interest?

I tried to send a letter of update pre interview before and they told me they wouldn't accept it unless it was post interview. So I suppose that the answer is no.

Ah, darn. Thanks for the reply.

Are any other accepted students having trouble logging into the accepted students website? My username and password won't work anymore. Been trying all weekend to check if they received my letter/deposit yet. Want to make sure its not just me before I call. :)
Best of :luck:!

Are any other accepted students having trouble logging into the accepted students website? My username and password won't work anymore. Been trying all weekend to check if they received my letter/deposit yet. Want to make sure its not just me before I call. :)
Best of :luck:!

I'd try again with the link in the email. I didn't even have to sign in when I checked it 2 minutes ago.

My application was completed middle of Oct. I got an interview invite call last Friday!!! She said I should receive an e-mail with info, but I have not gotten anything. Should I be worrying? I am soo excited!!:):):):xf:

Should get it in about a week or so after invite. Dont be afraid to call and ask inquire. Wait a week though. Very nice. Very helpful. Dont hesitate to call.

Should get it in about a week or so after invite. Dont be afraid to call and ask inquire. Wait a week though. Very nice. Very helpful. Dont hesitate to call.

Thanks for the info! I got the email today! I am so exited!! Can't wait to be interviewed :D:D:D

So I saw there were close to 60 people accepted and on the wall. Anyone else thinking about going to UF? I was very impressed with my interview day.

Status
Not open for further replies.