2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear lord. Do you live on a no name dirt road by any chance? If not, they really need to send you a new letter.

Next batch of acceptances starts on Monday :scared: I plan on baking cookies all day while I nervously check my phone with the ringer on full blast.

Ugh tell me about it. They told me to call on Monday if I haven't received it and they will resend it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh tell me about it. They told me to call on Monday if I haven't received it and they will resend it.

jeez I checked this thread since I figured you would have known by now.. hang in there!

jeez I checked this thread since I figured you would have known by now.. hang in there!

Pretty sure it got lost. When I got accepted to DO school the packet was returned and had to be sent again. I think my mail lady is trolling me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you need to have a talk with your mail-lady... maybe throw in a free keeper birthday card next time your birthday rolls around. Ya know? Just make sure it's the one from your aunt that usually sends you a gift card to starbucks or scratch off lottery tickets. Unless of course it's the bingo scratch offs this year, because those are worth keeping.

Pretty sure it got lost. When I got accepted to DO school the packet was returned and had to be sent again. I think my mail lady is trolling me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Probably another applicant. I tell you, med school applicants are cutthroat! :scared:

hey guys, got a question.

does anyone know if Loyola verifies extracurricular activities? I didnt lie on my AMCAS or anything, but I did get put into a kind of strange situation.

when I submitted my AMCAS app back in June, it showed that I was involved in a volunteer project that was supposed to run through this winter. unfortunately, I had to stop participating in this organization in mid-Sept because I could not balance it with all the med school interviews I had going on plus my job. something had to give, so I dropped the volunteer thing partway. i didnt think much of it, and I didnt update any of the schools I applied to that I dropped this particular EC.

anyway, October comes along and lo and behold I get accepted to Loyola. super pumped and all, but now I have a nagging fear that Loyola might decide to start verifying all my ECs and discover that I didnt follow through on this one. so does anybody know if they verify ECs for accepted candidates, and if they do, do you think that this might matter to them at all? might they decide to rescind their offer? that would be all kinds of awful. any advice, or am i being overly neurotic?

Overly neurotic. Your acceptance letter probably listed some conditions of acceptance. Those are all that matter at this point.

Decisions and (some) phone calls tomorrow. Can't hold in my excitement/nervousness at possibly getting my first acceptance! :scared: Best of luck to everyone else out there being reviewed tomorrow, too!!! :xf::luck:

Decisions and (some) phone calls tomorrow. Can't hold in my excitement/nervousness at possibly getting my first acceptance! :scared: Best of luck to everyone else out there being reviewed tomorrow, too!!! :xf::luck:

Do you know which date range will be hearing back tomorrow?

I'm going to be checking my phone all day tomorrow. Sucks that I have an exam tomorrow. If 5:00pm comes around without a phone call I'm probably just going get too sad to take it :D. Being waitlisted would be such a pain. I just want to know I'm going to med school already!

Good luck everyone!

I'm going to be checking my phone all day tomorrow. Sucks that I have an exam tomorrow. If 5:00pm comes around without a phone call I'm probably just going get too sad to take it :D. Being waitlisted would be such a pain. I just want to know I'm going to med school already!

Good luck everyone!

They wouldn't call to tell you that you are waitlisted. I also study at school late often and those committee meetings aren't done until 6pm CST so don't flip out right at 5pm. They might not even have gotten to your name yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping for good news tomorrow...:xf:

if you interviewed after the 19th (the week after) would you hear by mid november? I remember being told that it would be sometime in november.. either the middle of the end... wish I was part of the group hearing today.. so nervous!!

Is it weird knowing that at this moment people may very well be discussing your fate?

Still not complete and incredibly antsy. It's been six weeks.....:eek:

Ugh I cannot handle this wait. Maybe they are taking longer today in their meeting. The post earlier by Goober said they sometimes meet until 6... This wait is killing me :shrug: :scared:

Ok so do they make the calls right after their meeting or will it be tomorrow morning? No rush, just wondering.

Last edited:
What they told us at my interview day was that they will call after the meeting if there's time. Otherwise, everyone will get snail mail. At least, that's what I understood.

Yep, they was my same understanding. Aka no call today means we won't know until likely the end of this week or the beginning of next week, assuming they mail them on Thursday again this week.

Edit: guess they're calling today

Congrats Eefen!

Last edited:
Has anybody been accepted and not received a call?

Has anybody been accepted and not received a call?

I feel for ya man. If it helps at all someone in our class didn't get a call and still got accepted.

EDIT: And by someone I mean that is the only one I know of. There could be more.

I feel for ya man. If it helps at all someone in our class didn't get a call and still got accepted.

EDIT: And by someone I mean that is the only one I know of. There could be more.

It definitely helps. Just looking at this thread makes me feel like no call = no acceptance though.

So after each interview, I wrote down some thoughts about each school to help in making decisions later. Figured I'd post what I have for Loyola in case anyone was interested. Good luck to everyone!

Impression:

Since the students were on fall break this week, I wasn't able to get a host. I ended up staying at the Travel Inn down the road, and used the metro (or "L") to get to Forest Park, where I took a bus to the area where the motel was at. In the morning, I just took a cab to the school, since it was like $5. Turns out there is a bus system--PACE--that isn't yet on Google Transit. I probably would have used this if I had known about it beforehand.

The admissions office staff was absolutely awesome-- they really made me feel welcome and were eager to help. My first order of business was an interview at 8 am, which was really conversational. I felt like it went really well, and had a good time. I found out later that my interviewer was the former dean. After the interview, which lasted for an hour, I had some time to complete the paperwork they give you about your coursework and things. Around 10 am, a doctor (who is the dean of something...) came and talked about Loyola and answered any quotations we had (the interviewing group, by the way, consisted of four people total...which was actually really nice). A few minutes before 11 am, he ended and I went off to my second interview. This one didn't start off quite as well, in my opinion. The doctor seemed a bit busy and tired, and by this point I was really liking the school, so maybe I was a bit more nervous about the whole thing. But he was nice, and eventually we got into the swing of things. Again, the interview was very conversational, with no ethical questions or anything terribly out of the ordinary. Overall, despite the slow start, I think it went pretty well.

Afterwards, I went back to the admissions office, where an MS2 came to meet us for the tour. First, we went to grab lunch--courtesy of Loyola. He then took us throughout the main education building. The anatomy lab was nice...despite being in the basement, it was open and well lit. There was a computer with access to online reference materials for each cadaver. The lecture hall was gorgeous, with plenty of outlets and wifi everywhere. I lost count of all the little study areas they had. The hospital was nice, too. They have a "virtual library," so they have a library area, but no books...it's all online. Pretty cool. He also took us to the new gym, which was amazing. There was a hot tub in the locker room. Enough said. Overall, the facilities were beautiful.

The curriculum isn't a true block system, but it's not traditional either. First year, you basically take one "big" class at a time, in addition to the three-year long doctoring course, PCM. In the first year of PCM, they learn interviewing skills. In the second year, you take 2-3 classes at a time, but they are all correlated with an organ system. In PCM, you learn the physical exam, how to read an EKG or chest xray, etc. You are generally in class from 8:30 or 9:30 am until 11:30 am. Tuesdays, PCM goes till 3 or 4 pm. A couple other days a week, you might have a small group session till 1:30 or 2 pm or so. Tests are computerized and in USMLE format. They are H/HP/P/F, but not curved. Lectures are recorded, and there is a student-run note service. Third and fourth year rotations are generally within about 5 miles; about two were 30-60 minutes away. Loyola is proud of its clinicians....apparently a disproportionate number of students go on to become chief residents.

After the tour, they had us fill out a survey and then Dean Jones met with each of us individually. It wasn't an interview, he just wanted to put a face to our files and tell us when we could expect to hear something. I thought it was a nice touch, and though some of what he said was fairly generic....though helpful...I also had the impression that he did in fact know my application.

I loved Loyola. Everything I had read about people being happy and really nice there was true. I liked the curriculum and school...the gym is a nice feature, too. Overall, I loved the "feel" of the school and could really see myself going here.

ACCEPTED TOO!!!!!!!!!! Got the call around 7:40PM

victory.jpg

Well I guess I'll be joining MedPR waiting for our decisions in the mail. :D. Not too optimistic but O Well. It would have been nice to get my first acceptance.

Thought this school was fantastic when I interviewed yesterday. Facilities were beautiful! Everyone was so friendly. Apparently, the cosmos wants me to go here so bad that I get stuck here for another 3 days. Gotta love living on the east coast. Thanks Sandy!

Well I guess I'll be joining MedPR waiting for our decisions in the mail. :D. Not too optimistic but O Well. It would have been nice to get my first acceptance.

Hang in there. There's still hope! GL!

To everyone who got in, congrats! This is definitely my #1 for the interviews I have so far, so most likely I'll be seeing some of you in the fall!

ii this morning, a spot just opened up for Friday.

Havent been following the thread much, can someone send me a link for info on interviews?

Thanks.

Ooook, been almost 10 weeks under review.... is this still normal? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.