2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Random question 2: I heard there was a spouse discount for the fitness center. Is this true? If so, how much? I realize this question might be a bit obscure....

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Random question 2: I heard there was a spouse discount for the fitness center. Is this true? If so, how much? I realize this question might be a bit obscure....

Right now, for a medical student to add on a spouse would be $22.66 a month (random, right?). Just in case you're wondering about his/her parking, the spouse would also be able to park in the Center's parking garage.

Right now, for a medical student to add on a spouse would be $22.66 a month (random, right?). Just in case you're wondering about his/her parking, the spouse would also be able to park in the Center's parking garage.

Lol...because that $0.66 is important. ;)

That's pretty sweet, though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

My fiancee was free...

Any idea how far the ii's have been filled already? End of December? Beginning of January?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

How long has it generally been for a change in status from "under review with the committee on admissions" to an interview decision?

My current status is:
"Your file is complete and pending further review by our Committee on Admissions. If you are granted an interview you will be contacted by phone and/or email. Our interview season is September thru April and your file can be reviewed several times during this time."

Does this mean I am on hold? :confused:
Any suggestions what to do while I wait?? Thanks!

my current status is:
"your file is complete and pending further review by our committee on admissions. If you are granted an interview you will be contacted by phone and/or email. Our interview season is september thru april and your file can be reviewed several times during this time."

does this mean i am on hold? :confused:
Any suggestions what to do while i wait?? Thanks!

+1

I submitted in early august, but am still "under review". Am I on hold? Would calling or sending a letter of interest/update help? Thanks.

Last edited:
to everyone who is currently in grad school, i found this on the pdf the dean sent for our supplementary: "If you are or were a graduate student, please request a letter from your graduate advisor and any appropriate professors. These letters should be submitted in addition to the requirements stated above. If you are just beginning a graduate program, letters can be sent after completion of your first semester."

i think we are pretty much on hold until these letters are in....thoughts??

This may not be the right place to ask, but I'm considering attending Loyola University Chicago for undergrad and was wondering if any of you guys are applying from LUC to Stritch?

Specifically I'm interested in knowing how hard it is to get into the early assurance program, and also how common it is for LUC students to apply to the medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally under review after submitting all of my materials 2 months ago.

Finally under review after submitting all of my materials 2 months ago.
When were you marked complete? I also submitted two months ago but as of right now my status still says: "We have received your supplemental application. We ask that you please allow at least one month for downloading letters and completion of your file. Thank you." I called them two weeks ago and they said there were having trouble downloading recs for applicants, but I am getting antsy...

This may not be the right place to ask, but I'm considering attending Loyola University Chicago for undergrad and was wondering if any of you guys are applying from LUC to Stritch?

Specifically I'm interested in knowing how hard it is to get into the early assurance program, and also how common it is for LUC students to apply to the medical school?

I can't seem to find the info on the Stritch website, but I'm pretty sure there's always a small group of students do their undergrad at LUC. If they have a premed advisor, I'd try contacting them before contacting the busy staff at Stritch.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.stritch.luc.edu/content/colleges-represented

Last edited:
According to the SSOM admissions page there are 13 students from LUC in the class entering in 2012. That is second to Notre Dame that has 17 students in the class.

When were you marked complete? I also submitted two months ago but as of right now my status still says: "We have received your supplemental application. We ask that you please allow at least one month for downloading letters and completion of your file. Thank you." I called them two weeks ago and they said there were having trouble downloading recs for applicants, but I am getting antsy...

I had the same status that you're seeing until this morning. Now it reads:
"We have received all required information and your file is under review with the Committee on Admissions."

This wait is absolutely killing me.. November 19th cannot get here soon enough

Submitted 9/9, just got my status changed from downloading letters to under review today 11/13 :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Does University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign or Loyola give me a better chance at acceptance into med school?

Last edited:
Hey, all, I'm a current Stritch student and was a fairly prolific poster here during my application cycle. I've created a new username for the sake of anonymity, but I thought I'd make myself available for questioning because a) this site was a tremendous resource for me throughout the chaos and uncertainty of the application process, and b) because my attention span does not permit me to study for long tracts of time. In other words, I've decided to peel myself away from the YouTube vortex and make some actual use of my procrastinatory time.

If anyone ave an queries about the application process, Stritch School of Medicine, or med school life in general, please fire away or send me a PM. I'll try to check back here regularly.

Anywho, best of luck to everyone!

Does University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign or Loyola give me a better chance at acceptance into med school?

Both schools furnished the exact same number of enrollees to Stritch during the last application cycle: 13. As someone already mentioned in this thread, that is a tie for second amongst all the schools represented here. That's almost certainly a higher proportion of the premeds at Loyola than at UIUC, but then again, Loyola undergrads are probably more likely to apply to Stritch and subsequently accept an offer of admission. At the end of the day, both undergraduate institutions will equip you with the tools you need to succeed here, and the administration recognizes that.

Can't wait for my interview Saturday! Will we still get the regular tour and talk with current med students even though it is on the weekend?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Can't wait for my interview Saturday! Will we still get the regular tour and talk with current med students even though it is on the weekend?

Yup, they have students there to take you around and talk with you.

Hey, all, I'm a current Stritch student and was a fairly prolific poster here during my application cycle. I've created a new username for the sake of anonymity, but I thought I'd make myself available for questioning because a) this site was a tremendous resource for me throughout the chaos and uncertainty of the application process, and b) because my attention span does not permit me to study for long tracts of time. In other words, I've decided to peel myself away from the YouTube vortex and make some actual use of my procrastinatory time.

If anyone ave an queries about the application process, Stritch School of Medicine, or med school life in general, please fire away or send me a PM. I'll try to check back here regularly.

Anywho, best of luck to everyone!

Hey RealSmoove, thanks for making yourself available. What year are you? Are you happy with Stritch? What does your typical day look like?

How's that for a barrage of questions? :D

Don't worry you will get the whole shabang. Lunch too I think. There are a bunch of us that will be there. See ya Saturday :thumbup:.

Hey RealSmoove, thanks for making yourself available. What year are you? Are you happy with Stritch? What does your typical day look like?

How's that for a barrage of questions? :D

I am but a lowly M1. So far, though, there's truly no place I'd rather be. Prior to interviewing I knew absolutely zilch about the school, but by the time I walked out the doors after that first visit, I knew I'd like to attend if I were so fortunate as to be granted admission. There were two main draws for me:

1) The people. It's probably a hackneyed claim, but I sincerely believe Stritch admits some of the friendliest, most helpful, and most well-rounded classes of medical students out there, and does so without making concessions in terms of intelligence or work ethic. That was the vibe I got from the older students during interview day, and that's how I continue to feel today. And that's to say nothing of the administration. They'll jump through hoops for you, and I'm frequently greeted in the hallways by staffers who address me by my first name even though I assumed they had no clue who I was.

2) The gym. Good basis on which to select a med school? Maybe not, but I spend a lot of time there.

As for a typical day, let's see.... Our schedule is really pretty variable from day to day and week to week, but it wouldn't be unusual to have lecture from 8:30 or so until noonish. After that I would go the gym to play basketball, shower, and eat lunch in the cafeteria. By 1:30 or 2:00 I would try to find a study space in the school or the nursing building and settle in to hit the books for a few hours. One afternoon a week, studying may be interrupted (or replaced) by shadowing, volunteering, or a research meeting (I'm not actually doing research yet, but people meet with mentors very early in the year to arrange projects for the summer between M1 & M2 year; this is through the STAR program you may or may not have heard about during your interview). There may be two other afternoons in a given week during which an academic activity is scheduled - small group meetings, lab dissections, additional lectures, or (as we had today) graded interviews with standardized patients.

Some days I'm able to study from 2-7 pm without interruption; I then go home, eat dinner, watch football, play video games, go to the movies, etc. On those days when I'm not able to get much studying in, I'll either just push things back until the next day or force myself to do a little review in bed an hour or so before I go to sleep. Unless I have an exam looming early the next week, I don't put much time in at all on weeknights (after 7:00) or weekends.

Granted, I think I put in less time than the average student in my class, and I could probably score a few extra points on exams if I'd really grind away, but right now I feel like our schedule permits us to find a good balance between school and leisure pursuits.

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the perspective. This is likely where I will attend next year, and I'm really excited about it.

One more question: How was finding an apartment around the school?

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the perspective. This is likely where I will attend next year, and I'm really excited about it.

One more question: How was finding an apartment around the school?

As long as you have the good sense to start househunting more than a week before school starts, I don't think you should have any difficulty whatsoever in finding a place suitable to your liking. I started looking on Craigslist toward the end of May, was able to tour a couple of places with vacancies almost immediately, and signed a lease in July at the third or fourth place I had seen. Mind you, there's not a lot within walking distance of the school, but there are four communities in close proximity to Maywood -- Forest Park, Oak Park, Berwynn, and North Riverside -- that offer a wide variety of residential options and are within a 5-10 minute drive or bike ride from Stritch. With the trains and PACE, public transit would also be an option from any of these locales, but I don't think many people are willing to trust public transpo, particularly when we have morning exams. Anywho, between these four communities, you should be able to find a place that satisfies your every desire in terms of style of housing (apartment, house for lease, condo, etc), # of roommates accommodated, and price range (within reason). Each community has a distinctive "flavor" - defined by demographics and shopping/entertainment options. Some people heed the call of the concrete jungle and end up downtown, but they're few and far between, and it's possible to stay in the 'burbs on weekends and still have a good time. Most of our class outings have been in Forest Park.

Even in the emergency scenario in which you show up for school and don't have a place to stay, you'll receive so many emails from upperclassmen soliciting roommates during the first few weeks of class that it's impossible to end up homeless.

Hope that helps. I know I have a tendency to write long responses, so thanks for bearing with me.

I'm on hold...is Loyola receptive to pre-interview LOI/updates?

The admissions committee meets Monday! Good luck everyone!

Thanks, RealSmoove. I appreciate the detailed response. I'm married, so we're not going to room with anyone. It would be awesome to find a place within 5-15 minutes driving distance of school with a washer and dryer. Our problem is we're from out of the area. We're gonna come for the second look in April and try to get a feel for the different areas over the weekend after the second look, but we obviously can't sign a lease then, unless we find someone willing to leave the place vacant until we move in July. :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone hearing back today (lol hopefully including me!)

How long is the interview day? My first interview is scheduled at 10:00.

It is hard to say. They don't tell you when the 2nd interview is until you get there, plus they have a tour scheduled. my first interview was at 8:00 and my 2nd was right after. Then I got done for the day by about 1:00.

Also I'm hoping someone will post on here if they receive a call from loyola so I at least know that calls are being made. Thanks!

The calls usually haven't started till late afternoon

Glad to see you finally boiled over with neuroticism and made an account :) Good luck to those waiting on calls today!

Nobody ever calls me during the day and my friend just called me and I pretty much had a heart attack. Come on Loyola:xf::xf:

Look for a 708 area code, and keep in mind the calls may not come in until after 6pm Central time (I got mine at 6:20). Try to keep busy and good luck to everyone that might get calls today!!

Look for a 708 area code, and keep in mind the calls may not come in until after 6pm Central time (I got mine at 6:20). Try to keep busy and good luck to everyone that might get calls today!!

My call came in at about 8pm Central time. GL everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.