2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a M1 comment on how late classes typically go each day? Thinking of where to live and commute

Members don't see this ad.

Can a M1 comment on how late classes typically go each day? Thinking of where to live and commute

I know you were looking for an M1 comment, but as long as you're waiting, thought I'd pass this along. :) The calendar for next year is up on the SSOM website; there's a link to it down the page. Just de-select M2,M3,&M4, and you'll see your schedule.

The waitlist movement is what really matters... not the number of people on the waitlist. Unless you have some sort of info as to what to expect w.r.t. the waitlist moving, having a waitlist of 1 person or 1000 people probably shouldn't comfort you. If someone said last year that the waitlist was 2 people long, those two people would have thought their chances were nearly 100%... but the waitlist didn't move at all IIRC. Just take a deep breath and roll with it. Making assumptions will only help to drive you crazy and stress you out.

Thanks for the response, but I still think it's a legitimate question. Apparently Dean Jones said that there will be waitlist movement this year, and that last year was an anomaly.

They accepted 366 last year and 43% of those enrolled, resulting in a class of 157. Someone on here said that the Dean told them that they plan on accepting ~20 less this year before May 15th, and assuming a similar percentage of those enroll, one can calculate an approximate number of spots that may be open to waitlisters (only a very few).

Now, obviously this a major guess because who knows exactly how many of those accepted will enroll, but it still gives me an idea of what kind of waitlist movement to expect. I'm just wondering if there are 100 people on the waitlist competing for those handful of spots, or are there only 10? I think it's definitely a legitimate question, and I appreciate you telling me not to worry, but I would love to go here and I would like to know what kind of chance I still have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck Irish! Crossing fingers for you.

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear about Financial Aid? I know they are now working on packages but wondering if anyone had an update/heard anything? Anxiously waiting....

Good luck Irish! Crossing fingers for you.

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear about Financial Aid? I know they are now working on packages but wondering if anyone had an update/heard anything? Anxiously waiting....

Got a call from admissions about financial aid package last week followed by a letter

Got a call from admissions about financial aid package last week followed by a letter

As in you received a scholarship last week? I could have sworn they said at Second Look that they didn't even begin looking at financial aid until last Monday.

^ Interesting development. Still waiting on financial aid here so I can make a decision! Come on Loyola :love:

Can any 4th years comment on the ability to do a sub-i at different schools/sites. Is there a limit or can you just hop around.

Ps. Loyola please show some financial love

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Can any 4th years comment on the ability to do a sub-i at different schools/sites. Is there a limit or can you just hop around.

Ps. Loyola please show some financial love

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Good question. I am not a third year (done with M2 in a week!!!) but we can most definitely do aways at other institutions. Can do up to 2 comfortably for sure 3 could be pushing it but I know of a now PGY-1 who did 3. Nice thing about being in Chicago is that you can do aways at number of places without moving.

Please if an upperclassman is around correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email today saying that my financial aid award is ready, but can't log into LOCUS to review it. Does anyone know if I'll get a separate email giving me LOCUS log-in info? Thanks!

Got an email today saying that my financial aid award is ready, but can't log into LOCUS to review it. Does anyone know if I'll get a separate email giving me LOCUS log-in info? Thanks!

+1 got the same issue over here. I'm gonna call later

I just called the financial aid office. They connected me to the help desk and they gave me my user ID and password.

Are those receiving emails being offered scholarships/aid? If you don't mine me asking.

Called the IT help desk and they helped me set up a password

Just got my financial aid award. $1000 a year scholarship, but I will be withdrawing as soon as I get my financial aid award from Pitt. Good luck to you all

Although Stritch did offer me $9,500 for next year unfortunately I have a better offer from another school and don't think I want to spend close to $40,000 a year compared to less than $20,000. I will most likely be withdrawing soon as well.

Got a decent scholarship (!) and I really liked it here but Loyola is still my most expensive option. Not sure what I'm going to do...

Received my financial aid this morning. While it isn't completely loans, I am extremely underwhelmed at the offer made. Sadly, this may force me to make a decision I didn't want to make... :(

Received my financial aid this morning. While it isn't completely loans, I am extremely underwhelmed at the offer made. Sadly, this may force me to make a decision I didn't want to make... :(

Same. Except I just got loans on loans :( I really liked it here, but I'm trying to convince myself that that feeling was just because everything at Stritch is shiny and new, and I had some really kickass fellow interviewees and that I'll be just as happy or happier at the cheaper school. Tough decision over the next few days...

Can anyone comment on the clinical rotations at Loyola? Specifically, what hospitals do students rotate too, and how does the experience compare to a school in the city like UIC?

Officially withdraw. Good luck to everybody waiting.

For those that went to second look, did they provide some sort of available housing/apartment options document? If so could you kindly scan and post it here or on the class fb page? Thanks!!

Too shy to ask on fb :p.

For those that went to second look, did they provide some sort of available housing/apartment options document? If so could you kindly scan and post it here or on the class fb page? Thanks!!

Too shy to ask on fb :p.

Remind me via a PM and I will send you the document I was given.

Granted I wasn't at second look so they may have received something different.

Got the "Remaining on the Alternate List" survey today. Still not sure how big this list is...

Got the "Remaining on the Alternate List" survey today. Still not sure how big this list is...

I think I've only seen a couple of people report being waitlisted on here. If you're still interested, doesn't hurt to let them know now, regardless of how many others are still holding out. And remember that people withdraw from the waitlist too, so I bet that pool may have been shrinking with each passing day.

So one of the things about Loyola I'm not a huge fan of is the fact that there is no actual pediatric hospital. The peds floor seemed nice but as someone potentially interested in pediatrics, it worries me a little...

So one of the things about Loyola I'm not a huge fan of is the fact that there is no actual pediatric hospital. The peds floor seemed nice but as someone potentially interested in pediatrics, it worries me a little...

For what it is worth this is a legitimate concern. If there is any way I can help solidify your decision one way or another please let me know. I am available via PM as well.

Looks like I'll be withdrawing here today or the next. Great school and without a doubt the best facilities but got a better offer with better financial aid elsewhere. Hope my spot goes to an SDN waitlister!

markyb03 mentioned in his MD apps that he/she felt like Loyola was "youth group"-like. I was wondering if anyone could comment on that (particularly current students). I am not Christian but have been to youth group functions in the past. Although I liked those things, I don't think I would want my school to be like that. I am considering applying next year and was looking for some feedback. Thanks!!

Disclaimer: it could be my experiences in the Christian ministry at DePaul that felt similar partially because 2 DePaul ministry people now work at Stritch (kind of crazy too see them again!) However "youth group" was not meant to be a derogatory description. Rather that the administration seemed very hands on and interested in growing their students as individuals. That just wasn't my cup of tea

markyb03 mentioned in his MD apps that he/she felt like Loyola was "youth group"-like. I was wondering if anyone could comment on that (particularly current students). I am not Christian but have been to youth group functions in the past. Although I liked those things, I don't think I would want my school to be like that. I am considering applying next year and was looking for some feedback. Thanks!!

Some people get really involved with ministry, maybe that's why? I'm not religious, and I don't have any problems in that regard. Administration doesn't try to push things on you, and you can always avoid the few people that are super religious (we have 1-2 in my M1 year, they don't interact too much with the rest of the class). Otherwise, everyone else is pretty normal. There were various Cinco de Mayo parties this past weekend, and there were groups playing tennis, basketball, and ultimate pickup today. It's pretty variable activities wise. Our post-tests do tend to get a bit extreme with everyone blowing off steam. I have a feeling it will either get worse or better M2 year.

As for financial aid, those of you with only loans, do not fret! For only your first year, they take your parent's income into consideration with the aid awards (which sucks for those of us whose parent's don't help). I got absolutely nothing my first semester, but since I took out the full amount (just hypothesizing here), I was given a scholarship second semester (3k). My second year, I'm taking out 8k less (managed to cut my spending) and I got a 10k scholarship. Also, there's always outside scholarships to apply for, which I'm planning on doing this summer.

This may be an odd question, but does anyone know if stritch conducts pre-matriculation drug tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.