2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to all the new acceptees!!! 99% sure I'll be attending Loyola in the fall and excited to have you all as classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, for those us who have not received the phone call, does it mean it is either waitlist or rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, for those us who have not received the phone call, does it mean it is either waitlist or rejection?

Looking at the online academic calendar it appears Loyola only give 2 weeks (!) in May to prepare for Step 1. Is that accurate?

Looking at the online academic calendar it appears Loyola only give 2 weeks (!) in May to prepare for Step 1. Is that accurate?

NOOOOOOOPPPPPEEEEE. We get 7, 7.5 if you don't study for finals.

This year's dates: May 6th (last final)------>June 24th 3rd yr orientation. There are 3 or so days before finals that you can use as well.

Just youtubed the video, hilarious. My family almost moved to Ojai as a kid, If only I would have the above comment would have been so much better.

I've been waiting on a decision from the 3/18 meeting and at this point I figure I must have been wait listed/rejected since I haven't heard anything. Checked my status on the applicant services thing and it says "status feedback not yet defined!!!!" Yea, 4 explanation points. Does anyone know the significance of this? Do they just not update that status page post-interview? Thanks!

My status still says that and I was accepted....

Anyone know when the wait list gets ranked? If ever?

I was accepted to Loyola back in December and I'm still deciding where I will matriculate, but I thought I'd share this article.

http://joco913.com/news/a-healer-and-now-a-teacher/

It's about a Loyola Stritch alum who decided to go back to school after he became a doctor to get certified and now teaches chemistry full-time at a high school in my hometown. He still works as a physician on nights and weekends as well. I just think it's really awesome (not my plan, however) and speaks to the character of people at Loyola.

Goober or any other current student, do you have access to Loyola's match list for this year? I would love to see how all the students did!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Loyola back in December and I'm still deciding where I will matriculate, but I thought I'd share this article.

http://joco913.com/news/a-healer-and-now-a-teacher/

It's about a Loyola Stritch alum who decided to go back to school after he became a doctor to get certified and now teaches chemistry full-time at a high school in my hometown. He still works as a physician on nights and weekends as well. I just think it's really awesome (not my plan, however) and speaks to the character of people at Loyola.

Thank you for sharing :)

Goober or any other current student, do you have access to Loyola's match list for this year? I would love to see how all the students did!

Yeah it's in the atrium at the school come see it!! Ha, jokes. I'll post it here when I find a digital version.

Off the top of my head we had like 7 kids match ENT and like everyone else matched EM (not really). I was really impressed that almost everyone who wanted to do Derm, Neurosurg, Orho, ophtho, ENT, uro, etc (really competitive specialities) matched. This is of course a rough estimate.

Yeah it's in the atrium at the school come see it!! Ha, jokes. I'll post it here when I find a digital version.

Off the top of my head we had like 7 kids match ENT and like everyone else matched EM (not really). I was really impressed that almost everyone who wanted to do Derm, Neurosurg, Orho, ophtho, ENT, uro, etc (really competitive specialities) matched. This is of course a rough estimate.

That's one thing I wish was included in match lists. How many people who tried to match into each specialty were able to match. That's really important. That along with how many people got their #1, #2, etc. Sounds like an excellent match year though! I'm excited to see.

Has anyone gotten an actual letter in the mail from that meeting on the 18th?

EDIT: never mind, just got it: Alternate list.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I glanced at the last few pages with no success so I'm too lazy to look all the way back.

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are waitlisted here every year and approximately how many of those are eventually offered acceptances? (I'm sure it varies but just looking for ballparks)

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I glanced at the last few pages with no success so I'm too lazy to look all the way back.

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are waitlisted here every year and approximately how many of those are eventually offered acceptances? (I'm sure it varies but just looking for ballparks)

Not quite sure what the average is, but I do know that Dean Jones said last year's goose egg was an anomaly, and there will "definitely" be movement this year.

I am supposed to be studying right now for an upcoming test...but it's my last semester, and my care-o-meter is rapidly approaching zero. So that said, I started wondering about what the schedule would look like for this upcoming year - Loyola has an awesome, very detailed current class schedule (hour by hour) available on their website, but it's so detailed that it was difficult for me to get the "big picture" idea from it. I remembered a number of schools I applied to had a nice-looking graphic calender that made it easy to see what classes were happening at the same time and when they happened during the year....and then, in an effort to avoid studying, I made one for Loyola to get a better idea of what to expect. Figured I'd post it here, just for kicks.

Note that it's just my interpretation of a bunch of text, so it probably isn't exactly perfect. Also - maybe a current student can speak to this - there was conflicting information on when exactly Neuro occurred in the second year, so I just put it where it was in the online calender. :)

Attachments

• Loyola Graphic Schedule.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 166
This is great eefen! Thanks for putting it together :thumbup:

I am supposed to be studying right now for an upcoming test...but it's my last semester, and my care-o-meter is rapidly approaching zero. So that said, I started wondering about what the schedule would look like for this upcoming year - Loyola has an awesome, very detailed current class schedule (hour by hour) available on their website, but it's so detailed that it was difficult for me to get the "big picture" idea from it. I remembered a number of schools I applied to had a nice-looking graphic calender that made it easy to see what classes were happening at the same time and when they happened during the year....and then, in an effort to avoid studying, I made one for Loyola to get a better idea of what to expect. Figured I'd post it here, just for kicks.

Note that it's just my interpretation of a bunch of text, so it probably isn't exactly perfect. Also - maybe a current student can speak to this - there was conflicting information on when exactly Neuro occurred in the second year, so I just put it where it was in the online calender. :)

Solid work! However, I am fairly confident that you will not be ending your second year May 22nd that's just too late. It'll most likely be toward the beginning of May. Also, having PCM all the time is deceptive. We really only have 1-3 PCM items per week and not all of them are mando by any means.

Solid work! However, I am fairly confident that you will not be ending your second year May 22nd that's just too late. It'll most likely be toward the beginning of May. Also, having PCM all the time is deceptive. We really only have 1-3 PCM items per week and not all of them are mando by any means.

Thanks for the clarification! I had noticed that the finals seemed to be in early May....I was going to put "Step 1 study time," or something to that effect, but couldn't find much info and just ended up using the last day of the official semester as the end date.

Do you know when Loyola students usually study for/take it?

So my status recently changed from "Under review...if granted an interview you will be notified before March" to "Your file is complete and pending further review by our Committee on Admissions. If you are granted an interview you will be contacted by phone and/or email. Our interview season is September thru April and your file can be reviewed several times during this time."

Are they just blowing smoke, or might there be more interviews being given out?

So my status recently changed from "Under review...if granted an interview you will be notified before March" to "Your file is complete and pending further review by our Committee on Admissions. If you are granted an interview you will be contacted by phone and/or email. Our interview season is September thru April and your file can be reviewed several times during this time."

+1, I am thing the same thing...

Thanks for the clarification! I had noticed that the finals seemed to be in early May....I was going to put "Step 1 study time," or something to that effect, but couldn't find much info and just ended up using the last day of the official semester as the end date.

Do you know when Loyola students usually study for/take it?

The earliest I know someone taking it is June 4th (4 weeks to study) and the latest I think is the 19th of June this year (lil over 6). We have 3rd year orientation on the 24th. You will have plenty of time to study.

Oh and to the above, from what I understand we are done with interviews. Sorry :(. Haven't had an applicant here in over a week.

+2; I hope this just isn't a formallity the system goes through before we get a pre-interview rejection.

Very nice, eef. I saw they actually have the schedule up (which is also accessible via google calendar). Just unclick M2, M3, and M4 on the left side to de-clutter it, and skip ahead to August:

http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendar/index.cfm?class

Yup me too. I'm out of this thread now, but before I go... good luck, Irish! :) :luck:

+1 finally rejected pre-interview. Good luck everybody

Has anyone seen the match list for this year?

No Goober mentioned he/she would put it up when there was a downloadable copy. I definitely know that I am interested in seeing it though.

No Goober mentioned he/she would put it up when there was a downloadable copy. I definitely know that I am interested in seeing it though.

Well I mean I haven't seen it...:)

Has anyone seen the match list for this year?

I thought I saw it posted in the allo forum in the thread with a whole bunch of other match lists from other schools. Could be wrong though. On my phone otherwise I would link

Just thought I would share a response from a current student about their grading system (sorry if this has already been posted)

"Loyola is set up with a pass/fail system. Throughout the first year our Patient Centered Medicine class (basically "how to be a doctor" class) is pass/fail only with the cut off for Fail being <70%. There is no set limit on the percentage of students who can receive a pass. The other classes (MCBG, BD, Function of the human body, Host defense, and Structure of the human body) are set up on an Honors/ High Pass/ Pass/ Fail system. Although the specific percentage cut offs vary between classes, most of them are close to 90% honors /80% high pass /70% pass/ < 70% Fail. Again, there is no limit on the number of students who can receive a specific grade and tests are not curved. Classes and tests are not curved; they are straight graded."

I have a question for current students. When Trinity took over the hospital in 2011, they promised $300 million worth of equipment and capital to the hospital over the next five years. I know the new emergency department opened not that long ago, and a postpartum unit renovation is planned, but has there been anything else going on that you guys know about? Thanks.

How low do your grades for your final semester in undergrad have to dip for you to get kicked out of the acceptance?

How low do your grades for your final semester in undergrad have to dip for you to get kicked out of the acceptance?
I would guess below C's. Though, straight C's probably wouldn't look too good, lol.

I just withdrew from Loyola. I'll be matriculating to my top choice this fall, but it was still hard to withdraw from Loyola. I was so impressed on my interview day, and I would have been happy to attend.

Good luck to all of you on the wait-list and congrats to those attending Stritch this fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.