2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to last year's thread, I think it's better to be "under review." It appears we may stay at this status for a very long time (until an II is extended or we're put on hold.)

Gotcha, thank you for the info :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've had this status for at least two weeks. I hope it's not a bad sign...

I don't think it's bad or good, IMO. Just means your app is among those being actively reviewed right now. You can go one of three ways from here:

1) II (aww yeah)
2) Hold status--they'll tell u your app was reviewed and will be reviewed again between now and April. (Meh, still alive tho)
3) Rejection (boo).

I think I may have reverted back to a "waiting to be reviewed," before going back to "under review," before getting the "hold" last year.

Anyway, hope that helps.

I don't think it's bad or good, IMO. Just means your app is among those being actively reviewed right now. You can go one of three ways from here:

1) II (aww yeah)
2) Hold status--they'll tell u your app was reviewed and will be reviewed again between now and April. (Meh, still alive tho)
3) Rejection (boo).

I think I may have reverted back to a "waiting to be reviewed," before going back to "under review," before getting the "hold" last year.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) II (aww yeah)
3) Rejection (boo).

Anyway, hope that helps.

Ohh I see, well thank you for sharing! It's great to hear from people who have already completed this process. Hopefully I hear back from Stritch soon!

Anyone notice how they mention in the secondary instruction that 15% of the completed applications will receive interviews? MSAR says that 9600 people applied yet only 545 interviewed. 3600 applications would give you 540 interviews, even accounting those who declined to interview, (lets say 150 people or 1000 applicants) it is still about 5000 people who never completed the application? That seems a bit excessive...

What are some of the things you guys put in the working with "diverse backgrounds" essay. I don't really know what diverse background means?

What are some of the things you guys put in the working with "diverse backgrounds" essay. I don't really know what diverse background means?
I took this as anything that is different from who you are... people from different countries, different cultures, different socio-economic backgrounds, who speak different languages. Just interacting with a wide range of people.
I interned in a French hospital that treated patients from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, so I addressed that as well as my experiences in a foreign country. Hope that helps!

I took it as a place where people are different from you in some way such as race, age, language, etc. Mine was lame, I just write about feeling a bit weird around my coworkers in a restaurant at first because they were of different ethnic class and were mostly older folks. It was hard to relate to them because they were outside of the college bubble that I'm used to. And yeah, all that crap about being aware of others and stuff. :lame:

I wrote about growing up in the "ghetto" neighborhoods of Chicago where there's crime integrated in many races and working in the affluent suburbs as well going to school with people of many different cultures and religion in the city. So, I discussed diversity in terms of race, culture, religion, and socioeconomics.

I wrote about growing up in the "ghetto" neighborhoods of Chicago where there's crime integrated in many races and working in the affluent suburbs as well going to school with people of many different cultures and religion in the city. So, I discussed diversity in terms of race, culture, religion, and socioeconomics.

Did anyone wrote about something clinical? I wrote about working with minority and under served patients in an urban hospital..

Did anyone wrote about something clinical? I wrote about working with minority and under served patients in an urban hospital..
I did... see my story a few posts up. But I don't think having be a clinical story is essential.

Nope, I wanted to show I experienced diversity in my everyday life with school, work, and my neighborhood...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did... see my story a few posts up. But I don't think having be a clinical story is essential.

Ah. Well, I guess my interpretation was this question was geared to "How prepared is this applicant to work in the field of medicine, a field in which you invariably must work with people unlike yourself?" and also, while the questions were kind of vague, none of the others seemed to hint at "what are your clinical experiences" - which I feel are a valuable thing to discuss on an app. Just my 2 cents though.

Ah. Well, I guess my interpretation was this question was geared to "How prepared is this applicant to work in the field of medicine, a field in which you invariably must work with people unlike yourself?" and also, while the questions were kind of vague, none of the others seemed to hint at "what are your clinical experiences" - which I feel are a valuable thing to discuss on an app. Just my 2 cents though.

I agree completely; I wrote mine on working in a free clinic for the underserved--in a town different and quite far away from my own. I talked about all issues that crop up that you wouldn't see in a regular clinic, the different needs of the patients, etc.

But as long as you talk about a meaningful situation, I don't think the particular setting (whether clinical or not) is going to hurt an applicant with regards to that essay. /2 cents

I wrote about caring for an old Jordanian man whose daughter and I were chatting about Israel, and I explained I went there on birthright. He made some disparaging remarks in Arabic and his daughter responded, "Hush, father, we are all people." The sentence stuck with me. I kept coming back to round on him, take vitals, etc and it ended up alright. Unfortunately the story does not have a very climactic ending.

He made some disparaging remarks in Arabic and his daughter responded, "Hush, father, we are all people."

Whoa, I actually love this imagery. Very cool topic for the essay imho :)

Alright, I sent my app in on July 9th and haven't received a secondary yet. I'm OOS 3.7+ and 30+ MCAT. People have said to contact them about a secondary, but I'm afraid I'll come off as demanding.

Alright, I sent my app in on July 9th and haven't received a secondary yet. I'm OOS 3.7+ and 30+ MCAT. People have said to contact them about a secondary, but I'm afraid I'll come off as demanding.

Maybe call and not say who you are at first and gently inquire if they'll be sending out a batch of secondaries soon?

Let me know what they say if you call :)
I have 30+ no secondary yet, but I did appli one week later than you.

Don't worry about this. I didn't receive my secondary until mid-August last year. They come out in batches.

Don't worry about this. I didn't receive my secondary until mid-August last year. They come out in batches.

That's somewhat of a relief. I can just imagine:

Anathema: Yeah...sooo...I haven't received a secondary yet.
Admissions: Is that so?

REJECTION

No rush for me if that's the case.

I cant long in to the website gonna have to call them tomorrow.

Officially on hold. Was told I was small-pooled among the hold, but I don't know what that means.

Officially on hold. Was told I was small-pooled among the hold, but I don't know what that means.

Was this received in an email or status update on the web page?

When were you complete?

7/12, if I recall correctly. Still very, very disappointed that I'm not getting an interview yet. Loyola is one of my top top top choices. +pity+

7/12, if I recall correctly. Still very, very disappointed that I'm not getting an interview yet. Loyola is one of my top top top choices. +pity+

Sorry to hear that man. Best of luck to you!

My status just says my application has been reviewed.. Did you receive this message first?

Sorry to hear that man. Best of luck to you!

I'm going to send a a monster update in mid-December. Maybe I'll have a professor submit an additional recommendation letter for good measure. Really vying for Loyola, even if it means a spring interview.

My status just says my application has been reviewed.. Did you receive this message first?

That was the message; it is a hold status. If you are being invited for an interview, your status would not be in the "has been reviewed", it would just go straight to invite.

That was the message; it is a hold status. If you are being invited for an interview, your status would not be in the "has been reviewed", it would just go straight to invite.
This is the message I see: "Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

This is the equivalent of a hold? Did you get the same message?

This is the message I see: "Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

This is the equivalent of a hold? Did you get the same message?

Yes, as I stated above, I called the office for clarification.

Does Loyola just call for interview invites, or do they also send an email? Also, do they leave a voice mail if you don't answer? I'm out of the U.S. right now so I don't have my phone with me, and due to airplane issues I'm stuck here for another day or so without any way to check phone messages.

Still under review. Hope to hear something soon, I very much respect the work of this school.

Yeah me too. I wonder if anyone is going to get flat out rejected. If so, there is true hope to be drawn from the hold status.

Hoping for the same. Just saw that I am on hold.

Also on hold. Can't really tell from last years thread how bad this status is.